• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cripes! It’s Boris!

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Really, I'm English and I'd rather go out in a blase of glory, than live under a leadership that betrayed the will of its people

Pah! You'll be up against William Wallace and his Scottish army too, plus the Irish, plus Boudicea's warriors and the Vikings. Give up now!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Pah! You'll be up against William Wallace and his Scottish army too, plus the Irish, plus Boudicea's warriors and the Vikings. Give up now!

We'll send you Mel Gibson.

23319.jpg

PAT035AP_big_0-05c9e99.jpg

siti

Hm, did not see that part. I saw a lot of nice homes
and shops, got good scones, and a kind of castle
like house (?) that used to belong to an actress
called elzabeth taylor. The roads kind of wind
around and they have these stone walls, so it
is easy to get lost on foot.
Forgive my intrusion, but do you really think that getting lost in Hampstead and thinking that Elizabeth Taylor's birthplace was a castle provides you with sufficient background to pass judgement on British culture and politics? Just asking.

And as regards the former colonies - correct me if I'm wrong but you were all of about 12 years old when HK was handed over to China - right? Were you still there then - or did your experience of "that world" end at an even earlier age?

I'm just wondering because you make these authoritative statements about the British Empire being reduced to "statues in a theme park" - but I'm guessing they are really more of an infantile Disneyesque impression of the world than any genuine reflection of knowledge.

I'll be the first to disparage our colonialist past - it was and is quite wrong to wander around the globe declaring our sovereignty other people's lands, cultures, etc...

Britain has moved on from that...something some people across the ditch might want to think about - that, and - at least we're keeping our statues - warts and all!

siti

What lies?
Well he did tell a rather large porky about the amount the UK pays to the EU every week - not sure how he can wriggle out of that because they wrote the claim on the side of a bus and it was clearly false...he has been equivocal on his past drug use - both cannabis and cocaine...and most recently he told fibs about EU regulations about kippers - the regulations he was complaining were not the result of EU bureaucracy as he claimed but UK govt. regulations.

Apart from lies though, perhaps the best Boris quote of all is the one when he commented on Gordon Brown's accession to Number 10:

"They voted for Tony, and yet they now get Gordon, and a transition about as democratically proper as the transition from Claudius to Nero. It is a scandal."

Hmmm! I wonder if he still feels the same way about Prime Ministerial succession.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Well he did tell a rather large porky about the amount the UK pays to the EU every week - not sure how he can wriggle out of that because they wrote the claim on the side of a bus and it was clearly false...he has been equivocal on his past drug use - both cannabis and cocaine...and most recently he told fibs about EU regulations about kippers - the regulations he was complaining were not the result of EU bureaucracy as he claimed but UK govt. regulations.

Apart from lies though, perhaps the best Boris quote of all is the one when he commented on Gordon Brown's accession to Number 10:

"They voted for Tony, and yet they now get Gordon, and a transition about as democratically proper as the transition from Claudius to Nero. It is a scandal."

Hmmm! I wonder if he still feels the same way about Prime Ministerial succession.

Did Gordon get 66% of the vote or was he just given the position unopposed?

Martin

We'll send you Mel Gibson.

23319.jpg

PAT035AP_big_0-05c9e99.jpg

Russel Crowe would be on the Roundhead side with the rest of the gladiators, as they don't like Cavalier toffs. Also Spartacus and his slave army!
And then the Germanic tribes would help, plus the Cossacks. Also Napoleon and his grand army, they don't like toffs either!
All chanting "Oh, Jeremy Corbyn!" in their various dialects.

Martin

None of these Tory toffs has a clue about the lives of ordinary people. These privileged Tory toffs are immune from the harsh effects of austerity, and will be immune to the economic damage of a no-deal BREXIT. Its all just a parlour game to them. And we're supposed to trust these dubious characters?

Darkforbid

You mean by saying whatever springs to his mind without thinking about whether it might be true first?

Yawn, is that why remainer get dumb struck when they encounter a opposition argument then resort to attacking people making the argument not the argument

Audie

Veteran Member
Forgive my intrusion, but do you really think that getting lost in Hampstead and thinking that Elizabeth Taylor's birthplace was a castle provides you with sufficient background to pass judgement on British culture and politics? Just asking.

And as regards the former colonies - correct me if I'm wrong but you were all of about 12 years old when HK was handed over to China - right? Were you still there then - or did your experience of "that world" end at an even earlier age?

I'm just wondering because you make these authoritative statements about the British Empire being reduced to "statues in a theme park" - but I'm guessing they are really more of an infantile Disneyesque impression of the world than any genuine reflection of knowledge.

I'll be the first to disparage our colonialist past - it was and is quite wrong to wander around the globe declaring our sovereignty other people's lands, cultures, etc...

Britain has moved on from that...something some people across the ditch might want to think about - that, and - at least we're keeping our statues - warts and all!

Well, I'd say I deserve that, even if I didnt hardly earn
it. Of course E Taylor / castle, and ftm, I didnt say
that she was born there or that it was a castle!

But yeah, deserve, I was going after Britain in an
unkind way, and I dont have unkind feelings toward
Britain, quite the opposite.

That the empires of France and England are shadows
of their former glory is of course obvious to all, but
there is no call for me to say so in an unpleasant way.
And, yeah, statues! I love the memorial thing for Queen
V Of course keep them, whether tourists flock to them
or not.

We left Hong Kong the year of the hand over,
Mom was not going to be there to see that.

There's been a kind of love / hate relationship,
but I'd say that if there were a vote, "Do you want
the British back", it would be an overwhelming "yes".

I used to be so thrilled, shivers up my back watching
the performance on Queens way, of a Sunday... this
kind of thing. (see youtube below)

Britain's colonial past is of course a checkered one,
and the global consequences for good and ill are
incalculable.

Among other attitudes I picked up as a kid was a
loathing for the sound of a British accent, it would
set off instant hostility. I got over that finally, but
you know, adolescent girls. The snotty arrogance
of some that I encountered in HK, plus what were
actually some infantile notions of geopolitics.

We note of course that for whatever excess of
imperial enthusiasm Britain was involved in,
nothing in it is remotely in a class with
the record of atrocities perped by the Belgians,
French and Spanish.

Or for that matter, the legacy of chaos left in
their wake.

I was in London on business btw, not as
a tourist.

Oh and ditch-wise, people will always have
some funny impressions of others.
If you've been to China, you will remember how
you found an awful lot of your preconceived ideas
were not so accurate.
A lady from Taiwan who I was talking to in NYC
tole me she was at first wondering where all the
muggings and shootings were going on, it all
seems so peaceful. :D

Anyhow speaking of-peace? I have high regard for Britain,
even if I was being snitty that time.

And DONT ANYONE mess with our bagpipes!!!

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
Yawn, is that why remainer get dumb struck when they encounter a opposition argument then resort to attacking people making the argument not the argument

Agreed.
And you refrained from saying "ad hom"!

Of course, often enough, comments on the
capabilities of a poster is entirely appropriate.

(not "you" personally here below)

You might even hope that your attorney, next
time you are in a third world s-hole country
on trial for a crime ya never done will have
the presence of mind to question the credibility
of, say, a first year biology student who is
testifying on medical matters.

Of course, he will shout back "AD HOM", the
judge will nod sagely, and you will be in big
trouble. :D

siti

Interesting that you chose to respond to this comment:

You mean by saying whatever springs to his mind without thinking about whether it might be true first?

...and not the one where I did respond with public domain evidence of Boris making false statements:

...so who is really dumb struck? Who is failing to make an argument? Boris deliberately misled the public in making false statements about the UK's EU contributions - lets make that argument...here's the evidence:

Brexit-news-929225.jpg

Now, instead of attacking me for attacking the person - perhaps you'd like to make a comment refuting the actual evidence that I posted...?

Last edited: