• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creationists, please provide evidence

filthy tugboat

The Bible, completed almost 2000 years ago, makes the claim that it is inspired by God. (2 Timothy 3:16,17)

Duly noted.

This book is the only reliable source of information about God

What makes you think this?

including his name, his purpose, and proof of his Godship.

I have read the Bible and found no reason to believe anything in the above quote.

The Bible has withstood the test of time and countless attacks, both intellectual and violent.

Along with many other historical documents and religious propaganda. The religious material is often more easily traced as it plays such a large role in civilizations throughout history. The above quote is not evidence of the Bible's claims holding truth but rather evidence that people held the Bible to great esteem.

It provides convincing proof of what we cannot see.

You might need to elaborate here, many of the things the Bible suggests we cannot see I find to be more likely false than true, I have come across no reason to believe the Bible's miraculous claims are true.

In short, you are wrong in saying the Bible is evidence of nothing. It contains solid evidence that it is God's word and is the truth. (John 17:17)

Using a Bible passage to claim that the Bible holds truth. Circular reasoning doesn't fly with me sorry. Or perhaps you have some other evidence you would like to present?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
The Bible has withstood the test of time and countless attacks
What does that even mean? There are still many people today who think that the sun revolves around the earth. Does that mean that the idea of an earth-centered solar system has withstood the test of time and countless attacks?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
fantôme profane;2429979 said:
What does that even mean? There are still many people today who think that the sun revolves around the earth. Does that mean that the idea of an earth-centered solar system has withstood the test of time and countless attacks?
It is really nothing more than fluffy puffery used to make themselves feel better.

evolved yet?

A Young Evolutionist
I don't think that anything changed in the last 100 pages. The evidence is awful and the thread sucks, creationists just give it up.
Although it is nice to begin a very successful thread, this is probably the most successful one in the Evo vs Cre sub-forum.

rusra02

Premium Member
fantôme profane;2429979 said:

What I mean is that the Bible, completed some 2,000 years ago, has withstood the intellectual attacks upon it from men who claim it is just a book, riddled with falsehoods. It should be easy to attack any book of such age as the Bible in the light of modern science. Not so the Bible. Although attacked on all sides, the attackers have been shown to be wrong repeatedly. Just one example. At one time, critics claimed no such man as Pilate existed. A stone with Pilate's name and rank was found in Israel in 1961, proving the critics wrong...again.
Today, millions of people still defecate in the open or in streams or lakes. Deuteronomy 23:12,13 instructed God's people to dig a hole and cover their excrement. This book was written 3,500 years ago, when Egyptians were smearing dung into their wounds to heal them. How did the writer of Deuteronomy know to thus protect the people's health? The answer is, the real Author of the Bible knew and gave these instructions. The real Author of the Bible is God.

rusra02

Premium Member
By killing millions.

People who truly follow what the Bible teaches are peaceful. Those who kill others, claiming to represent the Bible, are liars AND murderers. 1 John 3:11,12 says
"This is the message which you have heard from the beginning, that we should have love for one another, not like Cain, who originated with the wicked one and slaughtered his brother. And for the sake of what did he slaughter him? Because his own works were wicked, but those of his brother were righteous."
True Christians go to prison or even to their deaths rather than take up arms to murder their fellow man.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
What I mean is that the Bible, completed some 2,000 years ago, has withstood the intellectual attacks upon it from men who claim it is just a book, riddled with falsehoods. It should be easy to attack any book of such age as the Bible in the light of modern science. Not so the Bible. Although attacked on all sides, the attackers have been shown to be wrong repeatedly. Just one example. At one time, critics claimed no such man as Pilate existed. A stone with Pilate's name and rank was found in Israel in 1961, proving the critics wrong...again.
Today, millions of people still defecate in the open or in streams or lakes. Deuteronomy 23:12,13 instructed God's people to dig a hole and cover their excrement. This book was written 3,500 years ago, when Egyptians were smearing dung into their wounds to heal them. How did the writer of Deuteronomy know to thus protect the people's health? The answer is, the real Author of the Bible knew and gave these instructions. The real Author of the Bible is God.
But the Bible also describes a flood involving physically impossible amounts of water. Not to mention getting the order and scale of creation wrong.

rusra02

Premium Member
But the Bible also describes a flood involving physically impossible amounts of water. Not to mention getting the order and scale of creation wrong.

Your comment that the flood involved physically impossible amounts of water, excuse the expression, doesn't hold water. Water covers some 70% of earth's surface, with an average depth of 12,430 ft (3,790 metres for our metric friends).
The average elevation of land above sea level is 2,760 ft (840 metres). You do the math. Of course, the mighty mountain ranges of today did not exist before the flood, and were doubtless raised up by the geologic changes wrought by the tremendous weight and force of the Flood waters.

This quote addresses your comment about the order of creation:
ce chap. 3 p. 36

“If I as a geologist were called upon to explain briefly our modern ideas of the origin of the earth and the development of life on it to a simple, pastoral people, such as the tribes to whom the Book of Genesis was addressed, I could hardly do better than follow rather closely much of the language of the first chapter of Genesis.” This geologist, Wallace Pratt, also noted that the order of events—from the origin of the oceans, to the emergence of land, to the appearance of marine life, and then to birds and mammals—is essentially the sequence of the principal divisions of geologic time.

Gunfingers

Happiness Incarnate
Beyond the ridiculous flood logic (do some reading on plate tectonics for information on how mountains really formed) there are a couple areas where reading the bible literally fails.

Examples:
Now, I don't say this because I want to disprove your religion. I don't. I got nothing against Christianity itself. I say this because I need you to understand that you can't simply say "My book is always right and doesn't mention evolution therefore there is no evolution", especially when your book is not always right.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
The average elevation of land above sea level is 2,760 ft (840 metres). You do the math. Of course, the mighty mountain ranges of today did not exist before the flood, and were doubtless raised up by the geologic changes wrought by the tremendous weight and force of the Flood waters.
I did. You almost end up with a second atmosphere, composed entirely of water. There is simply nowhere for that water to come from or go to.

...And it would still not be nearly enough to produce a mountain range. The mountains are too large for that.

Noaidi

slow walker

OK, so the obvious question is why doesn't your god continue to give medical advice for current diseases that we have no cure for? Why wait for medical research to come up with a solution (often taking years), when your god could immediately tell us how to cure diseases?

Incidentally, didn't your god make the pathogenic bacteria, viruses and fungi in the first place...?

newhope101

I did. You almost end up with a second atmosphere, composed entirely of water. There is simply nowhere for that water to come from or go to.

...And it would still not be nearly enough to produce a mountain range. The mountains are too large for that.

An atmosphere composed entirely of water would explain the need to separate the waters from the waters in Genesis. Hence, you have supported a biblical scripture.

newhope101

OK, so the obvious question is why doesn't your god continue to give medical advice for current diseases that we have no cure for? Why wait for medical research to come up with a solution (often taking years), when your god could immediately tell us how to cure diseases?

Incidentally, didn't your god make the pathogenic bacteria, viruses and fungi in the first place...?

God had the land line disconnected because of all the abusive calls from atheists.

What God did do was give his people law. Many laws reflected health and hygiene at a time when germs were unknown. Some examples are washing of hands before meals and after toileting, burying faeces, abstaining from sex during menstruation, bleeding meat before consumption, all proven to be health initiatives in todays world of modern science.

It is no wonder God's nation, the Isrealites, abounded and grew. They were given an advantage entwined in their law that related to health and hygiene to a people that new nothing of germs and in a world without a microscope.

Rusra,,you are doing very well!

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
An atmosphere composed entirely of water would explain the need to separate the waters from the waters in Genesis. Hence, you have supported a biblical scripture.
Not really, since it'd have been trivial to just to make the firmament slightly bigger.

(Either that, or you're implying that God lives on Europa.)

Last edited:

Noaidi

slow walker
What God did do was give his people law. Many laws reflected health and hygiene at a time when germs were unknown. Some examples are washing of hands before meals and after toileting, burying faeces, abstaining from sex during menstruation, bleeding meat before consumption, all proven to be health initiatives in todays world of modern science.

It is no wonder God's nation, the Isrealites, abounded and grew. They were given an advantage entwined in their law that related to health and hygiene to a people that new nothing of germs and in a world without a microscope.

That didn't answer my question, though.
I asked why your god doesn't give advice on curing currently incurable diseases. People are dying, so all it would take is for your god to tell medical researchers the appropriate steps needed to rid the world of disease right now.
If he gave advice 3000-odd years ago, why not now?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Deuteronomy 23:12,13 instructed God's people to dig a hole and cover their excrement. This book was written 3,500 years ago, when Egyptians were smearing dung into their wounds to heal them. How did the writer of Deuteronomy know to thus protect the people's health? The answer is, the real Author of the Bible knew and gave these instructions. The real Author of the Bible is God.
Right, because the only possible explanation for people burying their waste must be divine revelation.

This is jus selection bias, you just pick and choose the few examples where they got something kind of right and ignore the examples where they got things ridiculously wrong. Consider the biblical cure for snake bite.
Numbers 21:8-9

And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live. And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.
No description of how to produce anti-venom, no description of first aid techniques such as sucking the poison from the wound, no description of how to avoid snakes. Just look at an image of a snake and all is well. Should we employ this kind of treatment today? Does this snake-bite remedy pass the test of time?

And this is just one example. There are many places where the bible describes disease and infirmities as being caused by evil spirits and prescribes completely absurd cures.

Last edited:

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
fantôme profane;2438288 said:
Right, because the only possible explanation for people burying their waist must be divine revelation.
Presumably, since if you did that, you couldn't run away.
(The spelling you are looking for is "waste." ;))