• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creationists -- Please answer David Attenborough for me...

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I was not there for the flood -or Cain's nuptials -

Neither were you there when Hercules did his 12 works, when Mohammed flew to heaven on a winged horse or when Pompei was burried by a volcano eruption.

Yet I'm pretty sure, you only accept the Pompei bit and not the Hercules or Mohammed bit.

but I've seen enough to believe in extremely miraculous things -and learned enough about the bible and science to know that the bible does not describe a young earth, does not specify Adam and Eve were the first "humans" ever or on Earth at the time.

Well for starters, regardless of what else you've seen or haven't seen, each claim in the bible falls and stands on its own merrits. Showing 20 things in the book correct, or being able to make sense of some things, doesn't say anything about all other claims contained therein.

Most importantly, none can doubt that everyone keeping the commandments would produce a wonderful world -even in principle if God did not exist.

Those commandments don't say to not keep slaves.
So it could produce a world where slavery is rampant.

In fact, among the other 603 laws (there are 613, of which the 10 are a part of), slavery is explicitly allowed and regulated.

Furthermore, 4 of the 10 deal with nothing but your god's petty and jealousy.

So no, I most definatly do not agree that a society which follows the commandments of the bible, would be a nice place to live. It would, in fact, be quite a horrible place to live.

There is enough which can be shown to be true by in-depth study of prophecy and drawing near to God -after which he will draw near to you -that extremely specific facts are not extremely important.

Disagree.

Etritonakin

Neither were you there when Hercules did his 12 works, when Mohammed flew to heaven on a winged horse or when Pompei was burried by a volcano eruption.

Yet I'm pretty sure, you only accept the Pompei bit and not the Hercules or Mohammed bit.

Well for starters, regardless of what else you've seen or haven't seen, each claim in the bible falls and stands on its own merrits. Showing 20 things in the book correct, or being able to make sense of some things, doesn't say anything about all other claims contained therein.

Those commandments don't say to not keep slaves.
So it could produce a world where slavery is rampant.

In fact, among the other 603 laws (there are 613, of which the 10 are a part of), slavery is explicitly allowed and regulated.

Furthermore, 4 of the 10 deal with nothing but your god's petty and jealousy.

So no, I most definatly do not agree that a society which follows the commandments of the bible, would be a nice place to live. It would, in fact, be quite a horrible place to live.

Disagree.
Slavery, etc., was allowed -though not ideal -similar to eating all things after expulsion from Eden -animal sacrifice -divorce, etc.

There are the commandments -and judgments over time UNDER the commandments.
Those things allowed for a time are part of God giving the creation over to futility -then moving it toward being a paradise.
That is precisely why Christ said to NOT do some things which were ALLOWED under Mosaic law any longer.
Turning goat herders into gods requires that you begin with the present state of the goat herders.

The world was and is a horrible place -inhabited by successive generations of newbies.
It will not be so later -as some of those newbies will have been trained to become part of the permanent government of tomorrow under God and Christ.
Later, the commandments will be kept as originally intended.
Obedience to God -part of the first commandment -allowed for God to be responsible for his temporary judgments -and also for God to change judgments.
War, animal sacrifice, the death penalty, etc -all done by men so they would experience imperfection and focus on specific issues in preparation for the next stage -but God's responsibility when it was his instruction to do so.
Those judgments were allowed mostly because people did NOT keep the commandments -and those judgments prepared them to do so -and essentially got the desire to disobey out of their system. One example is God giving Israel over to war -rather than driving people out from before them -because they chided against him. They wanted it their own way, so he allowed it -but it will not be so later.

It's all quite messy -for a time -but God's jealousy is not petty -it is a desire to make us perfect -and he will.
You're thinking of judgments of the past -without which the judgments of the future would not be possible -but the judgments of the future are very different.

As for specific events.... say.... Christ turning water to wine -or others... wasn't there, but have seen things which caused me to know such things are very possible.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Yes, we agree!

You just said it yourself: "energy can change form, but it can't be created nor destroyed...IOW, it's always existed."

But you see, that means that there never was "nothing," and therefore, saying "nothing comes from nothing" (or "nothing stays nothing") is moot in this context.

And if energy always existed, and energy can change form, then voila! No need for a creator.
Does undirected energy result in cycles, design, and order? Of course not! But that’s what we observe, especially within and between organisms, in harmony with the 4 finely-tuned forces.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Nice attempt to introduce What About Ism. An utter failure to provide a single counter-argument.

Another case of "Nuu UUUN" from you.

Or? He was joking, or being sarcastic. Or speaking in Hyperbolie.

Or even speaking metaphorically-- as in the "weight" of the Heroic Deeds of Lincoln was weighing on anyone who knew the History of the place.

It's as if you are not even trying...
^^ What an evasion!

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Slavery, etc., was allowed -though not ideal -similar to eating all things after expulsion from Eden -animal sacrifice -divorce, etc.

There are the commandments -and judgments over time UNDER the commandments.
Those things allowed for a time are part of God giving the creation over to futility -then moving it toward being a paradise.
That is precisely why Christ said to NOT do some things which were ALLOWED under Mosaic law any longer.
Turning goat herders into gods requires that you begin with the present state of the goat herders.

The world was and is a horrible place -inhabited by successive generations of newbies.
It will not be so later -as some of those newbies will have been trained to become part of the permanent government of tomorrow under God and Christ.
Later, the commandments will be kept as originally intended.
Obedience to God -part of the first commandment -allowed for God to be responsible for his temporary judgments -and also for God to change judgments.
War, animal sacrifice, the death penalty, etc -all done by men so they would experience imperfection and focus on specific issues in preparation for the next stage -but God's responsibility when it was his instruction to do so.
Those judgments were allowed mostly because people did NOT keep the commandments -and those judgments prepared them to do so -and essentially got the desire to disobey out of their system. One example is God giving Israel over to war -rather than driving people out from before them -because they chided against him. They wanted it their own way, so he allowed it -but it will not be so later.

It's all quite messy -for a time -but God's jealousy is not petty -it is a desire to make us perfect -and he will.
You're thinking of judgments of the past -without which the judgments of the future would not be possible -but the judgments of the future are very different.

Sorry, but I'm not in the mood to play a game of backpeddling, making up excuses for inexcusable barbarism and a bunch of preaching.

As for specific events.... say.... Christ turning water to wine -or others... wasn't there, but have seen things which caused me to know such things are very possible.

Such things are impossible by very definition of the word "impossible".

"Impossble" are those things that require the violation / suspension of the laws of nature.

And to make "impossible" things happen anyway, one requires magic.
Feel free to invoke "magic" all you want to explain away obvious nonsense off course, but don't expect me to be impressed by your invocation of magic.

Etritonakin

Sorry, but I'm not in the mood to play a game of backpeddling, making up excuses for inexcusable barbarism and a bunch of preaching.

Such things are impossible by very definition of the word "impossible".

"Impossble" are those things that require the violation / suspension of the laws of nature.

And to make "impossible" things happen anyway, one requires magic.
Feel free to invoke "magic" all you want to explain away obvious nonsense off course, but don't expect me to be impressed by your invocation of magic.
Things are not impossible simply because YOU cannot do them or have not seen them done. It is not suspension of any law -but access and manipulation on another level.
We do things which were once "impossible" every day -by increased ability to access and interface by external tools -but it is not impossible for beings to have such abilities without external tools.
Your perspective is quite understandable, but I have seen impossible things done -and so will you, eventually. You will also do them :)

Phil 3:21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
That's the same in any organization. Disobey the boss and you lose your place in that company. Shocking isn’t it! :eek: What the boss says...goes. Why should God be any different? He is THE authority figure....there is no one that outranks him. He doesn't make rules for no reason. Disrespect them at you will regret it.
No, it is not the "same way in any organization." If your boss asks you to do something immoral or illegal, you do not have to follow their orders.
I urge you again to review the Nuremberg Trials. "I was just following orders" is not a valid excuse to just do whatever.

If your god is upset with me for disrespecting his amoral "system" of morality, then he should take it up with me already. So far, nothing.

I think you fail to see a lot of things that I see.....since God is the author of morality, how can he be immoral? How does evolution explain morality since it is a uniquely human trait? How does morality even fit into evolution?
That's why we're having a discussion.
You think something is moral just because somebody says so because that somebody supposedly is the author of morality, even though you can't demonstrate that. That's not enough for me. To me, morality is about weighing the consequences of actions based on what effects they have on myself and those around me. Blindly following whatever orders are commanded doesn't fit with that. If you're not weighing the consequences of our moral decisions, how are we actually exercising morality at all?

Morality is not a uniquely human trait. Dogs know when they've done wrong, for instance.

That is exactly what they are to the outside observer. Denying it doesn’t make it otherwise. If you have no proof...you need belief. Belief requires faith. You guys have as much of a belief system as I do....but it galls you to even think about it. o_O
That's what they are to you. Because you haven't made an effort to understand what has been explained to you over and over.

Scientists are not gods and they are not worshiped as gods. If you think they are, then you'd need to demonstrate that in some way.
Scientific publications are not scripture, and they're not taken as the Gospel's truth, as scriptures are. In fact, they're subject to scrutiny and criticism and are not accepted until they are shown to be verifiable and repeatable and have followed rigorous and sound methodology. Nobody is just allowed to declare anything without
Science is not a religion; it's a tool. You can tell yourself it's a religion, if it makes you feel better, but it doesn't make it so. It doesn't fit the criteria. If you think it does, you'll need to demonstrate that.

“Empirical evidence is the information received by means of the senses, particularly by observation and documentation of patterns and behavior through experimentation. The term comes from the Greek word for experience, ἐμπειρία (empeiría).” (Google search)
This describes what Bible believers base their faith on as well.
We have senses and we can observe creation and rely on the documentation of the who is responsible for creation. We see patterns of behavior and our own lives testify to how amazingly well designed we are.

No, it really isn't. What carefully controlled studies/experiments have you carried out to demonstrate the accuracy of your claims? What carefully controlled studies have you carried out to demonstrate that the god you worship exists? Your "senses" don't coordinate with verifiable reality and you have, as of this date, not once provided any empirical evidence backing up your beliefs.

Notice how you had to throw the word "faith" in there? Science doesn't require faith in order to accept it, because it's demonstrable. Faith is the excuse people give for believing something when they don't have evidence. If you had evidence, you'd give that instead. Anything can be believed on faith so it can't be a reliable pathway to truth.

No one needed to drag it anywhere...it was already there. Scientists just pretend that science fiction is science fact....its a snow job. Evolutionists have already told me several times that science has no proof for anything.....when you have no proof, then you 'believe' on 'faith'.....faith in the 'religion' of science....how is that not obvious? :shrug:

We all observe things through our own lens.....we just have different 'opticians'. If God exists, where does that leave atheists? If he doesn’t where does that leave believers? I'll leave you to answer that.....
Then stop trying to drag science down to religion's level. You're the one who keeps trying to put it where it doesn't belong.
We don't have different opticians. I have an actual optician, and you have a guy claiming that everything we know about the human eye is wrong because an old book written by people who had never inspected eyeballs before says so.

You accept all science that you think agrees with your preconceived religious notions and throw out the science that you think doesn't match those notions. That's not how science is done. That's how religion is done.

We've been over this proof thing too many times to count. I seriously cannot believe that you are still trying this line. You know very well by now (or at least you should since you've been told umpteen times), that science deals in EVIDENCE, not proofs. Which of course does not mean that it's faith based. The evidence for evolution is overwhelming. There is more evidence that supports evolution than any other scientific theory in existence, including gravity. Funny how you accept the existence of gravity. But then again, you accept evolution too, you just have to call it something else ("adaptation") in order to deal with your cognitive dissonance on the subject.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Things are not impossible simply because YOU cannot do them or have not seen them done.

That is not at all what I have said.
I said that impossible are those things that require the violation or suspension of the laws of nature.

There are many things that I can't do or have never seen done that would not require such a violation or suspension of the laws of nature.

It is not suspension of any law -but access and manipulation on another level.

:rolleyes:

A magical level.

We do things which were once "impossible" every day

No, we do not.
Computers were always within the realm of possible.
We might not have had the technological capacity or know-how to build them, but they were always possible.

-by increased ability to access and interface by external tools -but it is not impossible for beings to have such abilities without external tools.

You're confusing "impossible due to technological limitation" with "impossible due to requiring the violation of the laws of nature".

Sure, there is many stuff we don't know and sure, we don't know what is (im)possible in advance... But it seems kind of dumb to simply ignore everything we DO know.

"sufficiently advance technology looks like magic" - sure, but that sufficiently advanced technology, will still have to work within the limits that the laws of nature allow.

Your perspective is quite understandable, but I have seen impossible things done -and so will you, eventually. You will also do them :)

Phil 3:21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

Preaching again, I see.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
That's the same in any organization. Disobey the boss and you lose your place in that company.

I own a software company.

The other day I asked one of my programmers something stupid. He said "no, that's stupid".
He explained his view and I didn't fire the guy. Instead, I gave him a reward for being correct and thanked him for not just simply blindly doing whatever he's told.
I like employees who actually think things through.

And if he were wrong, I'ld explain to him why he was wrong and then ask him again to do it, while also noting he did a good job for thinking it over. Because better safe then sorry.

Then again, I'm off course not some narcistic egotist who demands worship and claims to be perfect in every way. :p

Shocking isn’t it! :eek: What the boss says...goes.

Like in North Korea.

Why should God be any different? He is THE authority figure...

Indeed. All authoritarian dictators are alike.

.there is no one that outranks him. He doesn't make rules for no reason. Disrespect them at you will regret it.

Yes. Might makes right, right?

I think you fail to see a lot of things that I see.....since God is the author of morality, how can he be immoral?

This is what we call moral bankrupcy.

How does evolution explain morality since it is a uniquely human trait?
How does morality even fit into evolution?

First of all, it is not at all a uniquely human trait. ALL social species have some notion of morality.
And the evolutionary reason for that, is social group dynamics.

Humans having the most "complex" moral system isn't really surprising considering humans also evolved in the most complex social grouping. These things go hand in hand.
If you are going to live in a co-operative society, where YOUR survival and well being is very much related to the survival and well-being of the other members of the group, then social contracts and morals are going to be important for the group to flourish.

That is exactly what they are to the outside observer.

By "outside observer", do you mean a scientifically illiterate religious fundamentalist like yourself?

Denying it doesn’t make it otherwise. If you have no proof...you need belief. Belief requires faith. You guys have as much of a belief system as I do....but it galls you to even think about it. o_O

Nukes explode - that's evidence of the accuracy of atomic theory
Planes fly - that's evidence of the accuracy of aerodynamics
GPS works - that's evidence of the accuracy of relativity.

Next to that, actually being scientifically literate (ie: understanding how the scientific process works, and having a basic education in the natural sciences), is in itself already enough to know that the fruits of science are the best we can do when it comes to unraveling reality. Being scientifically literate, also helps in understanding that all explanatory models in science are always provisional.

Please don't project your scientific illiteracy on the rest of us.

“Empirical evidence is the information received by means of the senses, particularly by observation and documentation of patterns and behavior through experimentation. The term comes from the Greek word for experience, ἐμπειρία (empeiría).” (Google search)

This describes what Bible believers base their faith on as well.

No. Empirical evidence is about data collection. Not about retelling anecdotes and "testimony".

We have senses and we can observe creation and rely on the documentation of the who is responsible for creation. We see patterns of behavior and our own lives testify to how amazingly well designed we are.

That is your religious belief.

No one needed to drag it anywhere...it was already there. Scientists just pretend that science fiction is science fact....its a snow job.

This is either a statement of extreme ignorance, or just a blatant lie.

Evolutionists have already told me several times that science has no proof for anything....

Which has nothing to do with evolution and everything with how science works.
But you've already made it crystal clear that you have no clue about how science works.
Typical creationist argument... rant against science while being scientifically illiterate to the point of it being just embarassing.

.when you have no proof, then you 'believe' on 'faith'.....

It's called scientific evidence.

faith in the 'religion' of science....how is that not obvious? :shrug:

It's not obvious to us, because we actually understand how science works.
The only thing obvious here, is that you have no clue (or pretend to have no clue) and thus spout ignorance (or dishonesty) as a result.

We all observe things through our own lens....

Yes. And in your case, it's a biblical lens.

.we just have different 'opticians'.

Yes. Science has a ridiculously awesome optician, allowing you to see in mega ultra high definition.
While your bible provides you with a few blurps and distorted images and then tells you what it is you're seeing and you then just believe it.

[qutoe]
If God exists, where does that leave atheists?[/quote]

In the same place as you are if that God turns out to be Shiva or Allah. Or a god that humanity simply hasn't come up with yet.

If he doesn’t where does that leave believers?

Depends if they believe in the right god, off course. Considering the amount of potential gods they COULD believe in, there's about 99.99% chance that they're in the same place as atheists.

I'll leave you to answer that.....

Hahahaha. Fantastic. The not-so-hidden threat with some Pascal's Wager sauce on top.
Awesome.

Bob the Unbeliever

Does undirected energy result in cycles, design, and order? Of course not! But that’s what we observe, especially within and between organisms, in harmony with the 4 finely-tuned forces.

LMAO! "finely tuned".... that's actually a load of dingo's kidneys.

adams puddle.jpg

Etritonakin

That is not at all what I have said.
I said that impossible are those things that require the violation or suspension of the laws of nature.

There are many things that I can't do or have never seen done that would not require such a violation or suspension of the laws of nature.

A magical level.

No, we do not.
Computers were always within the realm of possible.
We might not have had the technological capacity or know-how to build them, but they were always possible.

You're confusing "impossible due to technological limitation" with "impossible due to requiring the violation of the laws of nature".

Sure, there is many stuff we don't know and sure, we don't know what is (im)possible in advance... But it seems kind of dumb to simply ignore everything we DO know.

"sufficiently advance technology looks like magic" - sure, but that sufficiently advanced technology, will still have to work within the limits that the laws of nature allow.

Preaching again, I see.
TTYL :)

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
That's true-- Hovind is another Liar For Jesus --- he makes huge $$ from Lying. And people like you, sop it up like it was Manna.

No way, lol.
I’m not a YEC.

[The article refers to fine-tuning] As a bogus idea, yeah.

Nope....as a fact.
Excerpts:

1.3 Fine-Tuning in Biology
Biological organisms are fine-tuned for life
in the sense that their ability to solve problems of survival and reproduction depends crucially and sensitively on specific details of their behaviour and physiology.”

“....Barnes (2012: sect. 4.2) gives an overview of various studies such as Barr and Khan 2007 and Tegmark et al. 2006 that explore the complete parameter space of (segments of) the Standard Model and arrives at the conclusion that the life-permitting range in multidimensional parameter space is likely very small.”

Biological fine-tuning has a long tradition of being regarded as evidence for divine design (Paley 1802), but modern biology regards it as the product of Darwinian evolution....”

2. Does Fine-Tuning for Life Require a Response?”

Etc., etc....

So, the article agrees that there is fine-tuning!