• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creation scientists say it was Noah's flood that broke apart the continents. AIG

james dixon

Premium Member
Do you actually believe in a global flood?

I believe the northern half of this planet was covered in an ice sheet. I believe this ice began to melt and the water flowed south. In some areas this caused flooding. This process took a long time to evolve and, in this process,, humans observed it.

:)-

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If the ice sheet covered the northern half of this planet, the water from the melting ice would cover the entire southern half of this planet.

Where did the water come from. Given fluid dynamics what makes you think it would not return to is level prior to the ice sges? (Yes there have been more than 1)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I believe the northern half of this planet was covered in an ice sheet. I believe this ice began to melt and the water flowed south. In some areas this caused flooding. This process took a long time to evolve and, in this process,, humans observed it.

But it wasn't, and that would not help you if it did.

Audie

Veteran Member
Glaciers dig deep into the terrain, forming rugged, dramatic landscapes. Valleys are scooped out as a glacier scrapes through them.

Most glaciers move very slowly—only a few centimeters a day. Some, though, can move 50 meters (160 feet) a day

Sometimes, alpine glaciers create or deepen valleys by pushing dirt, soil, and other materials out of their way.

Mountain glaciers profoundly reshape the mountains,
and not just sometimes. They rip rock out and conveyor-
belt it away.

When I first saw glaciated mountains, they looked
strange to me, "made wrong" as I told my step dad.

I do not think you are correct saying continental
glaciers dig valleys or make a particularly rugged
landscape. Eskers and moraines, sure, but
those are not so commom, and not dramatic.

Saskatchewan, Minnesota, Wisconsin fot exanple
all were under deep ice. The only rugged drama is
how cold it can get.

Look esp. at abandoned lateral moraine left
when the glacirr melted. That is a lot of rock!

lateral moraine - Google Search

james dixon

Premium Member
James, the Hebrews learned the story in Babylon and embellished it. There was NO global flood.

Just because the Hebrews learned this story from somewhere else and embellished it does not prove it didn't occur.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Just because the Hebrews learned this story from somewhere else and embellished it does not prove it didn't occur.

We know that nothing close to what the Bible describes happen ed. Small local floods that would not have threatened man, sure, those happened. The Flood of Noah? Not even close.

sooda

Veteran Member

Geologists have never found any evidence for a global flood.. and there are lots of ancient cities that were never flooded or disrupted by flooding.

Egypt, Anatolia, Mesopotamia, the Arabian peninsula and the Levant were never flooded. I am pretty sure Russia and China were never flooded.

james dixon

Premium Member

The Hebrews were not the only people who believed there was a great flood.

The flood myth is found among many cultures as seen in the Mesopotamian flood stories, Deucalion and Pyrrha in Greek mythology, the Genesis flood narrative, Pralaya in Hinduism, the Gun-Yu in Chinese mythology, Bergelmir in Norse mythology, in the lore of the K'iche' and Maya peoples in Mesoamerica, the Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa tribe of Native Americans in North America, the Muisca, and Cañari Confederation, in South America, and the Aboriginal tribes in southern Australia.
Flood myth - WikipediaFlood myth - Wikipediathe same thing?

You must ask yourself, is this just a coincidence that all these cultures believed the same thing or could it be they all witnessed the same thing?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

The flood myth is found among many cultures as seen in the Mesopotamian flood stories, Deucalion and Pyrrha in Greek mythology, the Genesis flood narrative, Pralaya in Hinduism, the Gun-Yu in Chinese mythology, Bergelmir in Norse mythology, in the lore of the K'iche' and Maya peoples in Mesoamerica, the Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa tribe of Native Americans in North America, the Muisca, and Cañari Confederation, in South America, and the Aboriginal tribes in southern Australia.

You must ask yourself, is this just a coincidence that all these cultures believed the same thing or could it be they all witnessed the same thing?

Yes, floods happen all around the world so there will be flood myths all around the world. The only similarities are the errors that they make.

Let's go over the facts. What happens to sea level during an ice age and why?

sooda

Veteran Member

I was in Hurricane Hugo and it sure played hell with my whole world.

james dixon

Premium Member
Geologists have never found any evidence for a global flood..

In the eyes of the observers, it looked like a great flood & that is good enough for me.

I do agree that the flood story was embellished over time until it was imagined that it covered all the known land at the time.

james dixon

Premium Member
Let's go over the facts. What happens to sea level during an ice age and why?

These sea shells were found on top of Mount everest

Ammonites are perhaps the most widely known fossil, possessing the typically ribbed spiral-form shell as pictured above. These creatures lived in the seas between 240 - 65 million years ago, when they became extinct along with the dinosaurs. The name 'ammonite' (usually lower-case) originates from the Greek Ram-horned god called Ammon. Ammonites belong to a group of predators known as cephalopods, which includes their living relatives the octopus, squid, cuttlefish and nautilus (see pictures below).
DISCOVERING FOSSILS | What is an ammonite?

048.jpg

And no, the sea was not that high, this mountain top was once on a sea bed and over time it was pushed up to where it is today.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
These sea shells were found on top of Mount everest

Ammonites are perhaps the most widely known fossil, possessing the typically ribbed spiral-form shell as pictured above. These creatures lived in the seas between 240 - 65 million years ago, when they became extinct along with the dinosaurs. The name 'ammonite' (usually lower-case) originates from the Greek Ram-horned god called Ammon. Ammonites belong to a group of predators known as cephalopods, which includes their living relatives the octopus, squid, cuttlefish and nautilus (see pictures below).
DISCOVERING FOSSILS | What is an ammonite?

View attachment 27281
:facepalm: Those fossils were deposited hundreds of millions of years before man existed they do not help you.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
In the eyes of the observers, it looked like a great flood & that is good enough for me.

I do agree that the flood story was embellished over time until it was imagined that it covered all the known land at the time.

But the myth as told in the Bible did not happen. That is the point. At no point did God try to kill Man with a flood.

Were there floods in the past? Yes. Were people impressed by those floods in the past? Again yes. So what?

james dixon

Premium Member
Yes, floods happen all around the world so there will be flood myths all around the world.

I can tell that you are hell bent on denying the Bible and what is contained therein but this approach will not further your cause.

In my point of view :)-