• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creation Science House Bill 3826

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Ok, i understand, but, this is not a completely fair comment.

Theres alot of creationists who after seeing evidence go against there belief in the bible, they will not twist evidence to fit the bible, instead they change there INTERPRETATION of the bible to fit the evidence. So, they dont throw out the bible, they simply realize they misunderstood the account being fallible as they are. Just as the naturalists wer fallible in calling the cell jelly. But, hey, some naturalists still keep up the same nonsense and say the universe came from nothing. Note, some, i didnt say all.
The problem is that this is just skirting the issue and widening the goalposts. No matter what, the religious are unable to consider their text fallible or falsified, they just go "Oh, this isn't true - well, maybe the Bible didn't mean THIS, it just means THIS". This isn't the same as scientific investigation, because in science all claims needs to be falsifiable. The fact that religious groups cannot do away with their religious texts wholesale is always going to prevent them from being 100% objective (or, at least, as close as it is humanly possible to be).

This is not fair. We infer intelligence from information and the appearence of design in the world. We are not doing anything that naturalists do when they infer naturalist mechanisms about origins of life and the universe. After we infer intelligence, wer NOT saying we fully understand HOW the grand machine works that the intelligence made. So, wer not inserting intelligence into a gap.

Let me illustrate it like this: you see a car, you did not see it being built. You infer intelligence built it. But you gladlt admit you dont fully understand how each part works with the other parts.
But I only infer intelligent built it because I've encountered cars before, I have prior knowledge of the construction of cars, and I have absolutely no reason whatsoever to believe cars arise naturally.

Again, you're comparing things that are man-made, are never found in nature and don't reproduce naturally to things which aren't man-made, are found in nature and do reproduce naturally. This argument is fundamentally fallacious.

Case in point: I present you with two objects. You have no indication of the history or creative process behind either object, and their function is indeterminate. I inform you that one object is intelligently designed and one is not. What test(s) could you perform or what observations could you make that would determine the designed object from the un-designed object?

I could say the same thing

Saying "science is investigating the issue and we have no reason yet to believe it won't eventually come up with an answer" is not committing the same fallacy as "you don't have an answer for x, therefore I assert that the answer is NATURALISM"
Agreed, but I've never seen anyone on these forums (or others) argue the latter.

tas8831

Is DNA a Code?

Hubert yokey says its literally a code.
Yockey.

Cool - he also denied creation. So he is an expert on that.

I found this from his family blog:

"The first thing I want noted about my father is that he is not in any way, shape or form a Creationist. He does not support Intelligent Design. He supports Darwin’s theory of evolution and points out that it is one of the best-supported theories in science.

It is absolutely crazy to assert that my father is a Creationist because he quotes the Bible in his scientific publications. He quotes Greek and Roman myths considerably more frequently than the Bible, yet no one has used that as evidence that he is a pagan, or Dionysian or Apollonian."

Plus, Yockey was a physicist, not a biologist or geneticist.

ecco

Veteran Member
I care because you care to debate this. If you dont care to answer my question then i dont care to debate this.
How do you know if i disbelieve it? I never told you that.
You never posted it.
Again...
Why would you care about what my reason is? You should be interested in what the scientific explanation is. I didn't bother posting it, because you already know it and disbelieve it. My posting it again isn't going to change your mind, because you believe the world to be 6000 years old.

And i never said i believe the earth is 6000 years. I personally dont care how old it is.
Sure you do. Every Fundamentalist/Creationist cares. It's what separates the YEC from the OldEathers. Why are you hesitant to state your belief?

I dont know how he built the ark in all its details.
Can you stop playing circle circle circle to evade a question. We have already established that no one knows how he built the ark. That is why I stated that we do know some ways in which he could not have built the ark. You suggested he could have used metal bracing. That is why I responded...

If you believe strong metals were used in the construction of the ark then tell us which strong metals and how they were manufactured 4000 years ago.
Stop evading. Either you can account for how he could have gotten strong metals for bracing or you need to retract your assertion that he used metal for bracing.

Just to recap...
Does that mean you do believe the sun stood still for a whole day? Or does that mean you believe the earth stopped spinning?
Must have stopped spinning or slowed down.
Spoken like a true Fundamentalist. That makes it abundantly clear that there is no sense discussing science with you. You just don't believe science. Period. End of story.

ecco

Veteran Member
Theres lots of evidence we wer not created last thursday. I dont need to present it to you. You already have it.

Well, you really do need to present it because no one else has been able to do it.

I dont think thats because they could not, but because they wer not interested too.

Stop evading. You said "Theres lots of evidence we wer not created last thursday". Yet you can produce not one single solitary piece of evidence.

The problem is that this is just skirting the issue and widening the goalposts. No matter what, the religious are unable to consider their text fallible or falsified, they just go "Oh, this isn't true - well, maybe the Bible didn't mean THIS, it just means THIS". This isn't the same as scientific investigation, because in science all claims needs to be falsifiable. The fact that religious groups cannot do away with their religious texts wholesale is always going to prevent them from being 100% objective (or, at least, as close as it is humanly possible to be).

I disagree with your point because whether the religious are wrong or right in there interpretation of there book, either way the ancient authors had an INTENDED meaning behind there text. So, yes, its OK to CHANGE your interpretation of scripture. People can and do misunderstand modern books, how much more so ancient ones.

Just because people may misinterpret the bible dont make the bible trash.

The bible has an intended meaning just like nature has a meaning.

Heres another point too. You wanna make religious people look bad due to them being fallible interpreters and make atheists look better by painting a broad brush of them being about changing there views based purely on evidence. But the reality is this: there ARE atheists who hold to there views just as unfalsifiable as do some religious folk. So, atheists are no better then religious folk. They are human just as the religious and are no less immune to fallibility as them.

Some atheists nomatter what will not believe a God exist.

But I only infer intelligent built it because I've encountered cars before, I have prior knowledge of the construction of cars, and I have absolutely no reason whatsoever to believe cars arise naturally.

Again, you're comparing things that are man-made, are never found in nature and don't reproduce naturally to things which aren't man-made, are found in nature and do reproduce naturally. This argument is fundamentally fallacious.

No its not fallicious. Im using it to illustrate a point. Plus, you cannot give one example of a proven known where information DOES NOT come from intelligence. You cannot cite DNA as an example of a known because this is an area where you ASSUME DNA came from non intelligent forces.

Case in point: I present you with two objects. You have no indication of the history or creative process behind either object, and their function is indeterminate. I inform you that one object is intelligently designed and one is not. What test(s) could you perform or what observations could you make that would determine the designed object from the un-designed object?

I would base my abservation off of known human experiences. Its within our experiences that codes and information only come from intelligence and theres no proven examples where it don't.

I would also base it off of complexity.

If you saw a pot in a archaeology site, would you assume wind and errosion, water, ect made it or did humans? Id infer humans.

Agreed, but I've never seen anyone on these forums (or others) argue the latter.

Thats fine. Theres a first for everything. I just made the argument.

Again...

Sure you do. Every Fundamentalist/Creationist cares. It's what separates the YEC from the OldEathers. Why are you hesitant to state your belief?

Its not hesitant, its undecided. Im undecided if its old or young. I dont care how old it is. At a bare minimum RECORDED history is between 5 to 10 thousand years. That dont mean perse the earth. That means recorded human history.

Can you stop playing circle circle circle to evade a question. We have already established that no one knows how he built the ark. That is why I stated that we do know some ways in which he could not have built the ark. You suggested he could have used metal bracing. That is why I responded...

Stop evading. Either you can account for how he could have gotten strong metals for bracing or you need to retract your assertion that he used metal for bracing.

I gave you a passage in genesis showing metals wer used in that time period. Thats all i got for you. It still dont show how noah in detail built the ark. But it certainly shows metals wer used in that period.

Just to recap...

Spoken like a true Fundamentalist. That makes it abundantly clear that there is no sense discussing science with you. You just don't believe science. Period. End of story.

Two questions for you.

Assuming God exists, can he do miracles? Meaning is the universe he made have power iver him or does he have power over it?

Secondly, how do scientists know we would fly off the planet if it stopped spinning? Its not like its happened before while there abserving it.

Stop evading. You said "Theres lots of evidence we wer not created last thursday". Yet you can produce not one single solitary piece of evidence.

Let me tell you why im not gonna give you evidence we wer not created last thursday:

First because you nor i even believe we wer created last thursday. So why even debate that? Lets debate what we ACTUALLY believe. That would make a whole lot more sense.

Secondly, i dont need to give evidence because you have it from your memories from last thursday and before.

Define exactly what you mean by "code" then I'll tell you if DNA is one. Let's not play silly "loose definition aha gotcha pedantic argument" games, shall we?

CODE

"a system of words, letters, figures, or other symbols substituted for other words, letters, etc., especially for the purposes of secrecy.
"the Americans cracked their diplomatic code"
synonyms: cipher, secret language, secret writing, set of symbols, key, hieroglyphics;
coded message,cryptogram;
rarecryptograph
"a message in code"

Hows that?

So, you ignored the content of the post concerning Last Thursdayism?

I gave it to eco.

How does Hubert Yokey define the notion of a code? And why should we care about his opinion?

Hubert yokey is a scientist and he calls DNA a literal code. He makes it clear its not metaphor.

Some saying he did not specialize in biology, that dont work because he still did work in that area. And plus, theres biologists who DO say its a literal code. Mike behe as example.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I disagree with your point because whether the religious are wrong or right in there interpretation of there book, either way the ancient authors had an INTENDED meaning behind there text. So, yes, its OK to CHANGE your interpretation of scripture. People can and do misunderstand modern books, how much more so ancient ones.
The problem is that you have no way of ascertaining what the INTENDED meaning was, and it could very well be that the intended meaning is, in fact, wrong.

Just because people may misinterpret the bible dont make the bible trash.
I never said the Bible was trash, but it isn't a science book.

The bible has an intended meaning just like nature has a meaning.

Heres another point too. You wanna make religious people look bad due to them being fallible interpreters and make atheists look better by painting a broad brush of them being about changing there views based purely on evidence.
Um, no. I never did that. I'm simply pointing out that holy texts are not a reliable basis for establishing truth. I've never said anything about atheists or whether either side are specifically fallible. Just that the scientific method is demonstrably more reliable than religious text.

But the reality is this: there ARE atheists who hold to there views just as unfalsifiable as do some religious folk. So, atheists are no better then religious folk. They are human just as the religious and are no less immune to fallibility as them.
Never made an argument about atheists.

Sure, but that's irrelevant to science.

No its not fallicious.
Yes, it is. It's called false equivalence. You're comparing one thing that you know results exclusively from an intelligent process to another thing that you don't know whether there is any intelligence involved in its development and saying that, by some arbitrary designation, they must have a common origin.

Im using it to illustrate a point. Plus, you cannot give one example of a proven known where information DOES NOT come from intelligence.
I don't have to. You're the one who claims it DOES come from intelligence - I make no claim either way.

You cannot cite DNA as an example of a known because this is an area where you ASSUME DNA came from non intelligent forces.
False. I make no such assumption.

I would base my abservation off of known human experiences. Its within our experiences that codes and information only come from intelligence and theres no proven examples where it don't.
This is very non-specific. What test can you perform on either object to determine whether they have "code" or "information" that is specifically placed there?

I would also base it off of complexity.
Wrong. Complexity is not an indicator of design.

If you saw a pot in a archaeology site, would you assume wind and errosion, water, ect made it or did humans? Id infer humans.
Once again, this is a fallacious argument of false equivalence. I already KNOW what a pot is, what it looks like and what processes are required for its manufacture. On the other hand, if you found a small piece of stone that you have no idea of the form or function of and no way of determining what process was used in shaping the stone, how do you determine whether it is designed or not?

I've asked you a question that requires you to give specific answers, and you've provided nothing but generalities. I consider my question still unanswered.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Most atheists decide what is true about the world by applying reason to evidence. We are mostly rational skeptics, meaning that we believe that nothing should be accepted as true without sufficient support to justify belief. We also believe that such evidence hasn't been found or provided, therefore, it is unreasonable to believe in gods.

Most of us are willing to believe whatever evidence suggests, including in the existence of gods.

What you are describing - belief or unbelief refractory to contradictory evidence - is what is called closed-mindedness, or the unwillingness to consider evidence impartially and to be convinced by what a consensus of qualified critical thinkers considers a compelling argument. It's characteristic of faith-based thought. I can show you a few examples:

The moderator in the debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham on whether creationism is a viable scientific field of study asked, "What would change your minds?" Scientist Bill Nye answered, "Evidence." Young Earth Creationist Ken Ham answered, "Nothing. I'm a Christian." Elsewhere, Ham stated, “By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record."

What's Ham telling us there? He's telling us that nothing can change his mind, no matter what, because he has resolved to disbelieve even true things if they contradict his faith. His mind is closed to contradictory evidence, hence the term closed-minded.

Here's another prominent theologian saying the same thing in puffier language:

"The way in which I know Christianity is true is first and foremost on the basis of the witness of the Holy Spirit in my heart. And this gives me a self-authenticating means of knowing Christianity is true wholly apart from the evidence. And therefore, even if in some historically contingent circumstances the evidence that I have available to me should turn against Christianity, I do not think that this controverts the witness of the Holy Spirit. In such a situation, I should regard that as simply a result of the contingent circumstances that I'm in, and that if I were to pursue this with due diligence and with time, I would discover that the evidence, if in fact I could get the correct picture, would support exactly what the witness of the Holy Spirit tells me. So I think that's very important to get the relationship between faith and reason right..." - William Lane Craig

Did you follow that? He's telling us that his present beliefs cannot be modified by any evidence presented to him, even incorrect beliefs. He would simply decide that the evidence doesn't mean what it appears to mean, and go on believing as before.

We can call that phenomenon faith-based confirmation bias. One more:

If somewhere in the Bible I were to find a passage that said 2 + 2 = 5, I wouldn't question what I am reading in the Bible. I would believe it, accept it as true, and do my best to work it out and understand it."- Pastor Peter laRuffa

Is that how you see an atheist like me, for example? Do you think that if compelling evidence for a god came along, that I would hunker down like the three closed minds just quoted, and refuse to accept its implications? Most of us are not like that. Bill Maher said it well on his show Real Time speaking to this difference:

"We're not two sides of the same coin, and you don't get to put your unreason up on the same shelf with my reason. Your stuff has to go over there, on the shelf with Zeus and Thor and the Kraken, with the stuff that is not evidence-based, stuff that religious people never change their mind about, no matter what happens ... I'm open to anything for which there's evidence. Show me a god, and I will believe in him. If Jesus Christ comes down from the sky during the halftime show of this Sunday's Super Bowl and turns all the nachos into loaves and fishes, well, I'll think ... "Oh, look at that. I was wrong. There he is. My bad. Praise the Lord." - Bill Maher

Its within our experiences that codes and information only come from intelligence

The kinds of codes that we are aware come from intelligence are literal codes as your provided definition describes: "a system of words, letters, figures, or other symbols substituted for other words, letters, etc., especially for the purposes of secrecy." DNA is not that, which describes a system of arbitrary symbols assigned meaning by convention and agreement.

The false equivalence others have been writing about to you is to consider the cellular machinery that transcribes sequences of nucleotide bases in the cell's nucleus, which are then transported to the ribosomes outside of the nucleus and translated into proteins.

The differences between these two is too significant to think that what is true about the man-made code must be true about the other simply by virtue of calling them both codes. One difference is that intelligence is not only needed to create a literal code, but also to use it. If all intelligence ceased, the human code would no longer accomplish anything, and it never did without a conscious intelligence to encode and decode linguistic messages.

The cellular phenomenon that you claim needed an intelligence to create needs no intelligence to do its thing. If all intelligence left the universe, but unconscious unicellular life persisted, what you are calling a code would continue doing what it does.

We can substitute every element of a man-made code and it can still function the same. Consider cursive writing and printing. They look pretty different, but can function alike. Or, I can write "two" or "2," and by convention, they will have the same meaning to you.

Not so with chemistry. Why? It's not a code. Matter is passively responding to force. There is no code, just the laws of physics and chemistry. No intelligence is known to be needed for chemical transformations such as the unraveling of a double helix to occur.

The four bases in DNA cannot be substituted without changing their "meaning" to the cell because they are not there by agreement or convention, and nobody need agree what they mean. Change them, and we can expect the cell to die.

Not so with the symbols that represent them, A, T, G, and C. They can be changed with no loss of meaning if we agree that a, t, g and c will have the same meaning as their capital counterparts. Or, we could have called what we call adenine by another name beginning with another letter and have that symbol stand for the same molecule.

Anyway, I just finished writing a post on another thread explaining why it's futile to try to make a reasoned, evidenced argument to a person whose beliefs were arrived at by faith, a contention supported by the quotations above, so I don't expect you to change your position. I presume that you agree with those three men that there is nothing that can be said or shown to you to change your belief that living cells are intelligently designed.

So why do I write it? For the practice converting my thoughts into code - for the practice of writing better arguments, and couching them in language more effectively. It's fun and stimulationg

Also, you are not the only reader. If you were, this post would look very different.

Let me tell you why im not gonna give you evidence we wer not created last thursday: First because you nor i even believe we wer created last thursday

How is that relevant? Perhaps you are both incorrect.

So why even debate that?

It's a great exercise from the topic of limits of knowledge, which goes back to Descartes at least, when he recognized that he had no way to rule out the idea that all of experience was a clever deception arranged by a demon, since he could not escape the theater of his own conscious experience to confirm that what lay beyond it is what his intuition strongly suggested was out there. Modern variations include brain-in-a-vat, holographic simulation, and Matrix scenarios.

It's interesting to realize that the limits of knowledge are so narrow. Better to speak to experience than what lies beyond it and serves as its source. Hence, "I think, therefore I am" is the first and last incontrovertably true idea we will ever hold in the sense that it cannot be a deception or misinterpretation, although perhapssome Buddhists would disagree and include self-awareness and individual existence as illusory..

i dont need to give evidence because you have it from your memories from last thursday and before.

You might benefit from reading about this idea called last Thursdayism. It suggests the notion that your memories were created last Thursday along with everything else, memories of thing before last Thursday which never actually occurred.

The problem is that you have no way of ascertaining what the INTENDED meaning was, and it could very well be that the intended meaning is, in fact, wrong.

I do have ways to figure whatt the intended meaning was of the biblical text.

1, use a lexicon to check hebrew/greek words and there definitions and ways to translate to english.

2, context

3, syntax

4, look at additional documents from the time period.

5, archaeology

6, peer deeper then meets the eye on so called contradictions within each document.

7, Use your own human experience and logic and bring it into the text.

These 7 tools come to mind and using all of them are very helpful.

Also it cannot be wrong because spiritual experiences has been around with the human race since the dawn of time. These things aren't made up, there EXPERIENCES.

I never said the Bible was trash, but it isn't a science book.

Oh well i never was debating that it was a science text book. Its a historical record. Its spiritual and political.

Um, no. I never did that. I'm simply pointing out that holy texts are not a reliable basis for establishing truth. I've never said anything about atheists or whether either side are specifically fallible. Just that the scientific method is demonstrably more reliable than religious text.

More reliable? I dont see how one is more reliable then the other. I see them both as reliable, just different in there approach.

Never made an argument about atheists.

Sure, but that's irrelevant to science.

Fair.

Yes, it is. It's called false equivalence. You're comparing one thing that you know results exclusively from an intelligent process to another thing that you don't know whether there is any intelligence involved in its development and saying that, by some arbitrary designation, they must have a common origin.

Yea, its either intelligent design or unguided natural forces. One or the other. ID makes more sense to me.

I don't have to. You're the one who claims it DOES come from intelligence - I make no claim either way.

Well, mayby you dont make a claim either way, but some atheists make the claim that unguided natural forces did it.

And logically its either one of the two, God did it or unguided forces did it.

False. I make no such assumption.

Ok, well, good, but other atheists have made the assumption that DNA is not a code and did not come from intelligence.

Are you saying your undecided in your view?

This is very non-specific. What test can you perform on either object to determine whether they have "code" or "information" that is specifically placed there?

Does it look like a code? Does it look like information? Thats the test.

Wrong. Complexity is not an indicator of design.

Oh so you do have a claim now?

Once again, this is a fallacious argument of false equivalence. I already KNOW what a pot is, what it looks like and what processes are required for its manufacture. On the other hand, if you found a small piece of stone that you have no idea of the form or function of and no way of determining what process was used in shaping the stone, how do you determine whether it is designed or not?

I've asked you a question that requires you to give specific answers, and you've provided nothing but generalities. I consider my question still unanswered.

Either God did it or nothing did it. Take your pick.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
And logically its either one of the two, God did it or unguided forces did it.

Not true. It could be the result of intelligent aliens guiding and not of a deity. It could be the result of forces that are guided by the properties of matter (my bet).

Most atheists decide what is true about the world by applying reason to evidence.

Is there such a thing to you as flawed reasoning? Thats what i think atheists have is flawed reasoning.

We are mostly rational skeptics,

I call them hyper skeptics.

meaning that we believe that nothing should be accepted as true without sufficient support to justify belief.

Thats why i believe, because of there being sufficient support.

We also believe that such evidence hasn't been found or provided, therefore, it is unreasonable to believe in gods.

Well, you said it right there, "we also BELIEVE". Thats right in the nose.

Most of us are willing to believe whatever evidence suggests, including in the existence of gods.

I find it hard to believe theres a willingness in all atheists. Perhaps some are willing. But, there bar is beyond evidence, they want proof.

What you are describing - belief or unbelief refractory to contradictory evidence - is what is called closed-mindedness, or the unwillingness to consider evidence impartially and to be convinced by what a consensus of qualified critical thinkers considers a compelling argument. It's characteristic of faith-based thought. I can show you a few examples:

And this is what atheists are doing. Im not doing that.

The moderator in the debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham on whether creationism is a viable scientific field of study asked, "What would change your minds?" Scientist Bill Nye answered, "Evidence." Young Earth Creationist Ken Ham answered, "Nothing. I'm a Christian." Elsewhere, Ham stated, “By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record."

Ok...

What's Ham telling us there? He's telling us that nothing can change his mind, no matter what, because he has resolved to disbelieve even true things if they contradict his faith. His mind is closed to contradictory evidence, hence the term closed-minded.

Sure, theres closed minded religious folk, just like theres closed minded atheists.

Here's another prominent theologian saying the same thing in puffier language:

"The way in which I know Christianity is true is first and foremost on the basis of the witness of the Holy Spirit in my heart. And this gives me a self-authenticating means of knowing Christianity is true wholly apart from the evidence. And therefore, even if in some historically contingent circumstances the evidence that I have available to me should turn against Christianity, I do not think that this controverts the witness of the Holy Spirit. In such a situation, I should regard that as simply a result of the contingent circumstances that I'm in, and that if I were to pursue this with due diligence and with time, I would discover that the evidence, if in fact I could get the correct picture, would support exactly what the witness of the Holy Spirit tells me. So I think that's very important to get the relationship between faith and reason right..." - William Lane Craig

Did you follow that? He's telling us that his present beliefs cannot be modified by any evidence presented to him, even incorrect beliefs. He would simply decide that the evidence doesn't mean what it appears to mean, and go on believing as before.

Ok, sure. Same can be said of atheists.

We can call that phenomenon faith-based confirmation bias. One more:

And you dont think atheists can do this kind of thing too?

If somewhere in the Bible I were to find a passage that said 2 + 2 = 5, I wouldn't question what I am reading in the Bible. I would believe it, accept it as true, and do my best to work it out and understand it."- Pastor Peter laRuffa

These kind of discussions seam kinda pointless too me. Niether one of us can learn anything through these examples. Yes, theres open minded people and theres closed minded people. You get both in all walks of life. That does not scrutinize the actual content of there views though.

Is that how you see an atheist like me, for example? Do you think that if compelling evidence for a god came along, that I would hunker down like the three closed minds just quoted, and refuse to accept its implications? Most of us are not like that. Bill Maher said it well on his show Real Time speaking to this difference:

"We're not two sides of the same coin, and you don't get to put your unreason up on the same shelf with my reason. Your stuff has to go over there, on the shelf with Zeus and Thor and the Kraken, with the stuff that is not evidence-based, stuff that religious people never change their mind about, no matter what happens ... I'm open to anything for which there's evidence. Show me a god, and I will believe in him. If Jesus Christ comes down from the sky during the halftime show of this Sunday's Super Bowl and turns all the nachos into loaves and fishes, well, I'll think ... "Oh, look at that. I was wrong. There he is. My bad. Praise the Lord." - Bill Maher

If God showed up to you, i dont know how you would respond, only you know your intentions. I do know that not all atheists would be convinced though. Some would say its a mass halucination.

And i disagree with bill myer, HE IS the other side of the same coin as SOME closed minded religious folks. I dont think hes sincere. Ive listened to him on video and i dont trust him.

I mean, seriously, you can even see it in the quote like "praise the Lord". It comes with a mocking tone.

The kinds of codes that we are aware come from intelligence are literal codes as your provided definition describes: "a system of words, letters, figures, or other symbols substituted for other words, letters, etc., especially for the purposes of secrecy." DNA is not that, which describes a system of arbitrary symbols assigned meaning by convention and agreement.

The false equivalence others have been writing about to you is to consider the cellular machinery that transcribes sequences of nucleotide bases in the cell's nucleus, which are then transported to the ribosomes outside of the nucleus and translated into proteins.

The differences between these two is too significant to think that what is true about the man-made code must be true about the other simply by virtue of calling them both codes. One difference is that intelligence is not only needed to create a literal code, but also to use it. If all intelligence ceased, the human code would no longer accomplish anything, and it never did without a conscious intelligence to encode and decode linguistic messages.

That dont make sense. If all intelligence died in the world, all books would still be messages and or codes.

The cellular phenomenon that you claim needed an intelligence to create needs no intelligence to do its thing. If all intelligence left the universe, but unconscious unicellular life persisted, what you are calling a code would continue doing what it does.

When you program a computer, you can leave it to do its thing.

The difference between Gods intelligence and mans is that Gods intelligence is greater then mans.

We can substitute every element of a man-made code and it can still function the same. Consider cursive writing and printing. They look pretty different, but can function alike. Or, I can write "two" or "2," and by convention, they will have the same meaning to you.

Not so with chemistry. Why? It's not a code. Matter is passively responding to force. There is no code, just the laws of physics and chemistry. No intelligence is known to be needed for chemical transformations such as the unraveling of a double helix to occur.

Well, alot of credable sources disagree with you and they do call DNA a code.

The four bases in DNA cannot be substituted without changing their "meaning" to the cell because they are not there by agreement or convention, and nobody need agree what they mean. Change them, and we can expect the cell to die.

Thats not true. The DNA has all the information for what makes you, you. All that information has meaning. Change it, and that causes a part of you to change. It wont cause the cell to die. Where did you get that from?

Not so with the symbols that represent them, A, T, G, and C. They can be changed with no loss of meaning if we agree that a, t, g and c will have the same meaning as their capital counterparts. Or, we could have called what we call adenine by another name beginning with another letter and have that symbol stand for the same molecule.

A always means the same thing. But, the meaning changes when combined with different letters. Same with the 4 letters of DNA. From my readings, this is basic and standard and your changing that. You dont get to do that.

Anyway, I just finished writing a post on another thread explaining why it's futile to try to make a reasoned, evidenced argument to a person whose beliefs were arrived at by faith, a contention supported by the quotations above, so I don't expect you to change your position.

Lol, its incredable. My beliefs wer not arrived at by faith. Thats like saying my beliefs wer arrived at by belief.

No, atheism is NOT rational, im sorry, but its just not.

I presume that you agree with those three men that there is nothing that can be said or shown to you to change your belief that living cells are intelligently designed.

You can compare me all you want to those men, but doing so would be wrong on your part and would not be rational either. Im my own person and closed minded people are in all walks of life, including atheism. And open minded people are in all walks too.

Im open minded, but not so open my brain falls out.

Plus, telling me i gotta be open to accept your view without first criticising and questioning it, shows me how open you are? How about i tell you to be open to my view? How would that work out, huh?

So why do I write it? For the practice converting my thoughts into code - for the practice of writing better arguments, and couching them in language more effectively. It's fun and stimulationg

Ok....i certainly dont do it for those reasons. I do it because im trying to figure you guys out. You reasoning dont make sense to me.

Also, you are not the only reader. If you were, this post would look very different.

What would it look like if you wer posting it JUST to me?

How is that relevant? Perhaps you are both incorrect.

It's a great exercise from the topic of limits of knowledge, which goes back to Descartes at least, when he recognized that he had no way to rule out the idea that all of experience was a clever deception arranged by a demon, since he could not escape the theater of his own conscious experience to confirm that what lay beyond it is what his intuition strongly suggested was out there. Modern variations include brain-in-a-vat, holographic simulation, and Matrix scenarios.

It's interesting to realize that the limits of knowledge are so narrow. Better to speak to experience than what lies beyond it and serves as its source. Hence, "I think, therefore I am" is the first and last incontrovertably true idea we will ever hold in the sense that it cannot be a deception or misinterpretation, although perhapssome Buddhists would disagree and include self-awareness and individual existence as illusory..

You might benefit from reading about this idea called last Thursdayism. It suggests the notion that your memories were created last Thursday along with everything else, memories of thing before last Thursday which never actually occurred.

I get that, the memories planted and all, i just dont take it serious.

Plus, it makes no sense to me to debate beliefs that i nor you or eco or poly even believe. I like to debate things i ACTUALLY believe.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is there such a thing to you as flawed reasoning? Thats what i think atheists have is flawed reasoning.

Yes, there is such a thing as flawed reasoning. There has actually been an attempt to categorize the various different kinds of flawed thinking. The only thinking that all atheists have in common is the lack of a god belief, and probably a dedication to rational skepticism and empiricism as the best method to discover what is true about the world, although even that isn't essential to unbelief. Most of our beliefs come from our rational skepticism and empiricism, and vary from atheist to atheist. In this venue, most atheists are well educated, trained in critical thinking, and most are pretty good thinkers.

I call them hyper skeptics.

All rational skeptic believe the same thing : It is a logical error to believe without sufficient support. One should believe only what evidence and argument justify believing, and then only to the degree that the quality and quality of the relevant available evidence supports. Some thing are believed to be likely, some probable, some very probable, some approaching certainty. There are also analogous degrees of disbelief.

I expect that what you mean by hyperskepticism is what others mean by skepticism. One is either true to the principle of skepticism, or indulges in a little in faith-based thinking. One can't be too skeptical, just not skeptical enough. One must challenge the truth of all claims.

Thats why i believe, because of there being sufficient support.

What you consider sufficient support is insufficient for me, which is why I am an atheist..

Well, you said it right there, "we also BELIEVE". Thats right in the nose.

We do.believe, and justifiably so. Justified belief is desirable, not a weakness or deficiency as you seem to think.

Sure, theres closed minded religious folk, just like theres closed minded atheists.

Closed-mindedness characterizes faith-based belief.

And you dont think atheists can do this kind of thing too?

It would be irrelevant either way.

These kind of discussions seam kinda pointless too me. Niether one of us can learn anything through these examples.

You're not correct about me. I learn from these types of interactions.

And i disagree with bill myer, HE IS the other side of the same coin as SOME closed minded religious folks. I dont think hes sincere.

I think that Maher is sincere. There is no evidence to the contrary. Nor does he appear closed-minded. He just told what would change his mind about Jesus if he had it wrong. Can you do the same? Can you name anything at all that could change your mind and reveal your error if you were mistaken about there being a god or Jesus? I'll bet that nothing could do that. If so, you would be in a position that you held a false belief, but there was no way to correct the error because the evidence of error simply could not be evaluated critically.It probably couldn't even be seen.

If you wanted an example of how I can learn in discussions like these, it was in discussions like these that I became aware of this phenomena and the degree its penetration in the faith-based community.

That dont make sense. If all intelligence died in the world, all books would still be messages and or codes.

Then you didn't understand what was written

Well, alot of credable sources disagree with you and they do call DNA a code.

Credible sources calling DNA a code are using the word metaphorically. Do you understand what that means?

My beliefs wer not arrived at by faith.

You mentioned credibility. I don't believe that your belief in god was not arrived at by faith. It must have been, since the evidence doesn't support the belief. This code argument has convinced nobody here. That's either because only you among us can see and properly understand the supporting evidence that several bright, well educated say is lacking, or you're calling evidence sufficient that these people say isn't evidence in support of a god belief.

There is an naturalistic alternate explanation that you apparently have rejected with a logical mistake called an incredulity fallacy. Your position boils down to you claiming that genetic material is too complex for nature have created it blindly. Basically, you just can't imagine how it could happen without help.

That's not much of an argument to somebody who doesn't see why it couldn't. Perhaps you could explain how you know that nature is not up to the task.

atheism is NOT rational, im sorry, but its just not.

Atheism is the only rational position to take on the matter of gods. God belief is faith-based, and faith is not rational thought. It's believing because you want what you believe to be true.

telling me i gotta be open to accept your view without first criticising and questioning it, shows me how open you are?

I don't tell you that. I do suggest that you question whatever I and others claim is true, and that you evaluate their evidence and argument both open-mindedly and critically.

But I don't insist that you do so, nor do I think that that is a realistic expectation. Feel free to think in whatever way you feel serves you best. I do.

What would it look like if you wer posting it JUST to me?

Good question. The comments would be shorter, less fleshed out. There would probably be few or no arguments presented, just claims. I would tell you what I believe, but much less on why.

ecco

Veteran Member
I gave you a passage in genesis showing metals wer used in that time period. Thats all i got for you. It still dont show how noah in detail built the ark. But it certainly shows metals wer used in that period.

Yes, metals were used in that period. If you honestly think gold can be used as bracing on a wooden ship, you need a short course in metallurgy.

More to the point, your "metal bracing used in the ark" is a complete red herring.

Two questions for you.

Assuming God exists, can he do miracles? Meaning is the universe he made have power iver him or does he have power over it?
What?

Secondly, how do scientists know we would fly off the planet if it stopped spinning? Its not like its happened before while there observing it.
Nonsense. Around Isreal, the earth is rotating at about 600 miles per hour. If you are riding in a car at just 50 mph, what happens if the car suddenly stops (as in it hits a brick wall).

Don't take my word for it, try it for yourself.

Let me tell you why im not gonna give you evidence we wer not created last thursday:

First because you nor i even believe we wer created last thursday. So why even debate that? Lets debate what we ACTUALLY believe. That would make a whole lot more sense.

Nice try at a cop-out. You won't give any evidence to show it is false that everything was created Last Thursday is because you cannot. No one can. Everything being created Last Thursday is just as probable/possible as what is written in Genesis.

Secondly, i dont need to give evidence because you have it from your memories from last thursday and before.

You really don't understand it, do you? Perhaps you don't want to understand it because you would see it's exactly like your Genesis.

Your/my/everyone's memories of events prior to Last Thursday were implanted into our brains just as fossils were implanted on Mt. Everest.

If that sounds ridiculous to you, you can understand why Genesis sounds ridiculous to most people.