• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creation is Now

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
"Everything exists in this moment (now). This moment is the basis of all creation. The universe wasn't created the Biblical six thousand years ago or even the scientific fifteen billion. The universe is created right now and right now it disappears. Before you even have time to recognize its existence, it's gone forever. Yet the present moment penetrates all of time and space. In Dogen's words, 'What is happening here and now is obstructed by happening itself; it has sprung free from the brains of happening.'
In other words, we can't know the present in the usual sense because the present is obscured by the present itself and by the act of perceiving it and conceiving of it. Form meets emptiness here and now and all of creation blossoms into being."
~Brad Warner on Dogen's teachings

Do you agree with Brad Warner's consciousness-centred interpretation of reality? Why or why not?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I have to say, i don't understand what he's saying. Maybe your interpretation could enlighten me?

I'm not even sure there is such a thing as the present...

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I tend to agree and disagree. There is only one moment, and that is eternity. The past and future are defined only by the measurement and memory of change. By measuring change, we can define such things as "past" and "future," but only in abstraction.

I like the phrase "Creation is now" because it focuses on creation as a dynamic force rather than a static event.

Random

Yes, I agree: Creation, or perhaps re-creation, is ongoing and in the everpresent eternity we call now. This is because everything is changing all the time: nothing stays the same from one atomic beat to the next, not least the individual ME (or YOU).

The OP is most consistent with Buddhist thought and philosophy, but I wouldn't call it "consciousness-centred", Patty, that's reductionistic. I would rather say "life-centred" in the light of awareness and spirit, because I believe if people could understand how their minds are constantly stuck in the "past" projecting into the future, a switch might trip to enlighten them that in reality there is only presence and a vital spark lit that restores a vibrant immediacy, beauty and calm to life in the here and now.

UnTheist

doppelgänger;890688 said:
With your name and tagline ("pure as we begin") . . . I thought this would be right up your alley, nihilo.

Let me reread it a few dozen times. I got the quote from a Tool song.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
The universe is created right now and right now it disappears. Before you even have time to recognize its existence, it's gone forever. Yet the present moment penetrates all of time and space.
After re-reading it for the fifteenth time, i get it. This makes sense to me.

In other words, we can't know the present in the usual sense because the present is obscured by the present itself and by the act of perceiving it and conceiving of it. Form meets emptiness here and now and all of creation blossoms into being."

Do you agree with Brad Warner's consciousness-centred interpretation of reality? Why or why not?
His "in other words" makes less sense to me. I wouldn't say the present is obscured, i would say that there is no present - there is only what has occured and what is yet to occur, because by the time something has happened it is by it's nature already in the past.

UnTheist

Oh, I think I get it now. What we experience is never the real present because it always becomes the past...Or am I missing something?

lunamoth

Will to love
We (re)create all of reality and existance, all history and knowledge, in every moment; it only exists as we think it. Cool thought experiment. Not sure how it helps me decide what to cook for dinner though. :D

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
We (re)create all of reality and existance, all history and knowledge, in every moment; it only exists as we think it. Cool thought experiment. Not sure how it helps me decide what to cook for dinner though. :D

Yup. Our minds are re-creational vehicles.
icon14.gif

Which explains why so many of us spend so much of our time using them to do dounuts in the dirt.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
"Everything exists in this moment (now). This moment is the basis of all creation. The universe wasn't created the Biblical six thousand years ago or even the scientific fifteen billion. The universe is created right now and right now it disappears. Before you even have time to recognize its existence, it's gone forever. Yet the present moment penetrates all of time and space. In Dogen's words, 'What is happening here and now is obstructed by happening itself; it has sprung free from the brains of happening.'

Sure, I agree with it. But the only thing I really get out of it that we need to live every moment as fully as we can. And we've all heard that before. The past is happening before our very eyes.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I would say "it only exists for us as we think it," but yeah. :)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The OP is most consistent with Buddhist thought and philosophy, but I wouldn't call it "consciousness-centred", Patty, that's reductionistic. I would rather say "life-centred" in the light of awareness and spirit, because I believe if people could understand how their minds are constantly stuck in the "past" projecting into the future, a switch might trip to enlighten them that in reality there is only presence and a vital spark lit that restores a vibrant immediacy, beauty and calm to life in the here and now.
Sure; but the author hasn't gotten past the epistemological positioning, yet, at this point in the book, in guiding people to understanding the mystic's perspective.

But what does it mean: reductionist?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
You know, Willa? I've had my brain geared for the last 20 minutes in the OP's mystical realm (a perk of working alone ;)) and I must say it reminds me that much of what I do is kind of worthless ya know? I need to get out and help people more than I do.

Sorry, random thought.....but I appreciate the nudge. :hug: