• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creation is Now

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I define death as the end of, or stilling of, the thought processes.
Ok, but even then it is not as if the observer viewpoint or your particular way of looking at reality is extingushed just because you drop the thought process.

To me, the "supposed void" is a philosophical and linguistic construct to explain a particular idea, and so it is quite certainly a "void" in that that word describes/images it quite well.
Hmm, in that sense, I suppose. I am meaning it in a tangible state of consciousness sort of way.

Ozzie

Ok, but even then it is not as if the observer viewpoint or your particular way of looking at reality is extingushed just because you drop the thought process.

Hmm, in that sense, I suppose. I am meaning it in a tangible state of consciousness sort of way.
Someone here once posted a work of art that placed the void as a tangible state of consciousness rather well.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
To me, with my current understanding, it does mean just that. The "observer viewpoint" is composed in thought; it creates a subject and objects.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I don't think you can comprehensibly define death in terms of thought processes at all. That leads to reincarnation.:eek:
Interesting. How does it lead to reincarnation? (I don't follow that.)

And in what terms would you define it?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Thought cannot die if you define death in terms of the cessation of thought because that definition is circular.
Thoughts don't die, except metaphorically. We die; the self, or ego, regarded in thought as "me".

But I still don't understand how that leads to reincarnation.

Ozzie

Thoughts don't die, except metaphorically. We die; the self, or ego, regarded in thought as "me".

But I still don't understand how that leads to reincarnation.
We cannot think of ourselves dying metaphorically or otherwise in thought without entertaining reincarnation. Try thinking of yourself captured on celluloid.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
We cannot think of ourselves dying metaphorically or otherwise in thought without entertaining reincarnation. Try thinking of yourself captured on celluloid.
Okay, perhaps I don't understand what reincarnation is, then. What is reincarnation?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
To me, with my current understanding, it does mean just that. The "observer viewpoint" is composed in thought; it creates a subject and objects.
Just to confuse you, I do agree that that is the way it appears.
To my thinking, the thought process is merely a trickle-down effect from far more direct cognitions of reality. In effect, mental thought is the most superficial layer of cognition, it certainly isn't the only way reality is resolved although, as a race we have certainly excelled in refining that process.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
That doesn't confuse me. Appearances are everything; everything is appearances. Astrology 101. Beyond that is "void".

To my thinking, the thought process is merely a trickle-down effect from far more direct cognitions of reality. In effect, mental thought is the most superficial layer of cognition, it certainly isn't the only way reality is resolved although, as a race we have certainly excelled in refining that process.
Okay.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.

It might be explained in similar terms like children view sight.

Ask young children who haven't been told how vision works, and most will say that the think vision works by a form of "projection". Where is the vision of the object you see? and they will point over to where the actual object is. The vision of the object is not in their heads, it is outside of them. Maybe thoughts and viewpoints are similar...?