• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Noahs flood have killed all the dinosaurs ?

mycorrhiza

Not if the literal interpretation of the Bible is correct, seeing as Noah was instructed to bring 7/2 of each animal, which would include dinosaurs. If the flood did happen, dinosaurs must have died out before it happened.

markymark

Not if the literal interpretation of the Bible is correct, seeing as Noah was instructed to bring 7/2 of each animal, which would include dinosaurs. If the flood did happen, dinosaurs must have died out before it happened.

there might only have been few types of dinosaurs species and they might have been babys

mycorrhiza

there might only have been few types of dinosaurs species and they might have been babys

There were quite many dinosaur species and even as babies, some were very large. The Bible doesn't mention whether dinosaurs are unclean or not, so I don't know how many he would have to bring. I can hardly imagine Noah handling 7 t-rexes.

I would say that the flood story is symbolic rather than literal.

markymark

There were quite many dinosaur species and even as babies, some were very large. The Bible doesn't mention whether dinosaurs are unclean or not, so I don't know how many he would have to bring. I can hardly imagine Noah handling 7 t-rexes.

I would say that the flood story is symbolic rather than literal.

there might have been only a few created in genesis and then after the flood they breed and different species came about .....all animals only ate vegetation before the flood - its in the bible so t rex would not have been a problem ...i believe the flood was real not symbolic.

the bible also mentions a dinosaur like animal in job - one of the oldest books

mycorrhiza

there might have been only a few created in genesis and then after the flood they breed and different species came about .....all animals only ate vegetation before the flood - its in the bible so t rex would not have been a problem ...i believe the flood was real not symbolic.

This leads to evolution happening, which doesn't fit too well with a literal interpretation of the Bible.

They're still huge, even if they eat plants.

What makes you believe in the literal flood?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
there might have been only a few created in genesis and then after the flood they breed and different species came about

1. That kinda destroys your OP on the flood killing them all.
  2. I do believe you just advocated biological evolution.
  3. There is no geological, anthropological, hydrological or biological evidence of a worldwide flood as described in Genesis.

markymark

1. That kinda destroys your OP on the flood killing them all.
  2. I do believe you just advocated biological evolution.
  3. There is no geological, anthropological, hydrological or biological evidence of a worldwide flood as described in Genesis.

but here is no proof the flood did not kill them either

averageJOE

zombie

the bible also mentions a dinosaur like animal in job - one of the oldest books

Is that you Ken Ham?

Skwim

Veteran Member
300 to 700 dinosaur genera.

Guess there was no room for all of them.;)
ltt_0000163_500x566.jpg

300 genera and 1,844 species left at the dock.

http://statistics.wordpress.com/2006/09/29/total-number-of-dinosaur-species/]sourcesource

gnostic

The Lost One
markymark said:
since nobody can tell why they all died - could the flood have killed them all at ounce?

I know this won't answer your question, but I have to say that the dinosaurs 60 million years ago. The earliest humans - early Homo sapiens - have only been around 200,000 years.

So :no:. No flood killed these dinosaurs.

Noah's flood is nothing more than myth, but if it was real, then perhaps 4400 years ago.

markymark

I know this won't answer your question, but I have to say that the dinosaurs 60 million years ago. The earliest humans - early Homo sapiens - have only been around 200,000 years.

So :no:. No flood killed these dinosaurs.

Noah's flood is nothing more than myth, but if it was real, then perhaps 4400 years ago.

according to waht carbon dating

The Method
All living things absorb carbon from the atmosphere. When they die they stop absorbing carbon, and the carbon currently in the organic matter begins to decay. Half of the carbon is depleted in 5,730 years, which is called its half-life. After another 5,730 years, half of the remaining carbon will disappear, and so on. Measuring how much carbon is being emitted by the fossil or other remaining element determines how long the organism has been dead and therefore how old it is. But the rate at which the C14 decays only makes it accurate up to about 70,000 years, at which point carbon traces can no longer be accurately detected.

Discovery and History
Discovered by University of Chicago professor Willard F. Libby, radiocarbon dating has existed--and evolved--since 1947. Libby's first experiments measured the carbon in ancient Egyptian articles for which the ages were already known. When the numbers from his radiocarbon tests proved fairly accurate, he and fellow researchers published their findings on the topic. Since then, scientists have made advancements in the techniques used to measure the carbon, but pitfalls are plentiful.

Sponsored Links

Carbon Reporting Software
Comprehensive Carbon Management. Easy to Use, and Rapidly Deployed
Carbon Management Software, Carbon Accounting Software | ManageCO2 - Carbon Management, Carbon Accounting Software
Problems
Further tests of Egyptian antiquities provided mixed results. Some radiocarbon dates appeared to be younger than the known dates. Libby assumed that the level of carbon in the atmosphere should have already achieved "equilibrium," meaning the ratio of carbon introduced into the atmosphere with carbon dissolving from dead things in the atmosphere is constant.

But scientists discovered that the emissions of radiocarbon into the atmosphere fluctuate over time, and calculations must be made to offset that fluctuation. But determining the rate of fluctuation and establishing a pattern has proven difficult. Religious groups are especially critical of radiocarbon dates, citing the underlying assumption that the C14 ratios are constant as a bias toward an evolutionary "old earth."

Inconsistent Fluctuations
Decay in the earth's magnetic field results in more carbon radiation entering the earth's atmosphere, therefore increasing the production of C14. Nuclear weapons testing in the 1950s also increased the amount of radiocarbon in the atmosphere, which could have a significant effect on the dating process in the future. With just these two examples of fluctuations, dating using the idea of a constant rate of radiocarbon production and depletion seems questionable at best.

Errors
Checking one method's results against another has traditionally been scientists' way of keeping their methods honest. In 1990, the New York Times published an article revealing that Columbia University researchers using the uranium-thorium dating method to confirm radiocarbon dating had found huge discrepancies between the radiocarbon dates and the uranium-thorium dates, calling into question the validity of radiocarbon dating. More recently, a group of Christian scientists tested substances thought to be millions of years old, like coal and diamonds, only to find traces of radiocarbon, which would make them much younger according to the radiocarbon method.

dont make me laugh

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper

He was asked to bring animals of each type

colaboy

There's no mention of dinosaurs in the bible, or kangaroos, or panthers, koalas, polar bears, penguins, giant sloth, sabre tooth tiger, trilobite, giant tortoise, Woolley mammoth, etc. it seems that only animals know about in the middle east were saved by the ark. Or did Noah send one of his sons to Australia, Americas, north pole? It's just far too unreasonable and unlikely.