1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cosmic Consciousness: Everything from matter is just making a baseless assumptions

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Ostronomos, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Ostronomos

Ostronomos Active Member

Ratings:
    +67
    Religion:
    None
    Let us entertain the idea that everything came from matter for a moment. Then the question becomes, how did matter give rise to consciousness? What are the properties inherent within matter that allow for a being to compose Beethoven's symphonies, discover a new law of Physics, create life? If there is some extra property in matter that we are completely unaware of, I ask, what is it?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +26,068
    Religion:
    Love
  3. syo

syo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Religion:
    pagan, omnist
    Matter is the final stage. It is not the first stage. :) we are maya, the last matter. The gods are first, we are the end.

4. epronovost

epronovost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,493
    Religion:
    Atheist/non-religious
    Ever tried to google the term "emergent property"? It's this idea the sum of all parts of a system is greater than their combined individual value. It's observed all the time when you look at teamwork or any computer software or hardware.

• Winner Winner x 5
  5. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,722
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    Matter is unreal. It seems real in the moment, but over time all can see it changes, hence unreal. So nothing real ever comes from matter.

Note: Truth that what does not change

6. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +26,288
    Religion:
    None
    Consciousness also requires energy

7. MikeF

MikeF Proponent of RAEism
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Religion:
    None
    I do not believe it is as mysterious as you make it out to be. Life on this planet, we biological organisms, are made up of matter. In looking for consciousness, we do not look to generic matter, but look to how the atoms, the molecules formed by different atoms, are all assembled to form the central nervous system of human beings and other forms of life. It is how these molecules are arranged to form specialized cells that dictate the cognitive abilities of a particular species.

We have learned much about how our central nervous system works by studying instances where it has been damaged in some way or is impaired by some other physical or mental pathology, informing us as to how specific structures in the brain relate to cognitive function.

Consciousness comes from the configuration of various elements of matter, it is not a property of the generic term "matter".

• Like Like x 1
  8. janesix

janesix Active Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Religion:
    none
    That is reasonable. And probably true.

9. MikeF

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Religion:
    None
    Someone corrected me once that matter and energy are not different but different states of the same thing.
    E=MC².

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +26,288
    Religion:
    None
    Yes, thermodynamics is a wonderful thing. Consciousness requires both states.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +22,933
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    You are wrong. Energy is a property of matter, and is related to mass. But matter also has other properties, such as momentum, spin, charge, etc.

In particular, energy is very closely associated with momentum. The equation E=mc^2 , while very popular, is only one case of the equation when a particle is in motion,

E^2 = m^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2

where m is the rest mass and p is the momentum. This is the full equation relating energy, mass, and momentum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. MikeF

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Religion:
    None
    Excellent. Thanks for the clarification. I will try and get that in my brain for the next time this comes up. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. halbhh

halbhh The wonder and awe of "all things".

Ratings:
    +660
    Religion:
    Rescued of Jesus the Christ
    One of the fun implications of assuming that consciousness is merely natural (just from physics then), is that it does imply a lot of consciousnesses of various sorts would be out there, sort of filling the universe of course.

And that's fun in more than one way: if the consciousness emerges from matter/energy (i.e.- from physics), then of course all the universe having consciousness....that's just a familiar old way to define "God". One of the old viewpoints, since way back.

So, an atheist viewpoint leads straight to "God" by implication then, heh heh. ;-)

14. exchemist

exchemist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,694
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    Put a palaeontologist and a neuroscientist in a room together and you will get a pretty good idea.

The evolution of the central nervous system in animals is well documented and its biochemistry is fairly well understood. There is no need of any "extra" property in matter to account for the development of consciousness, so your question is moot.

15. exchemist

exchemist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,694
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    Except that this is a wrong conclusion to draw.

Consciousness is a state of activity of a brain, like the functioning of the operating system of a computer. To have a functioning computer you don't have to imagine that every component it is made from in some way carries out computations, when it is lying in the warehouse before assembly.
    See post 4 about emergent properties.

16. halbhh

Ratings:
    +660
    Religion:
    Agree. That's sort of the traditional view, really. Or like it. I call it 'consciousness as computation' in order to intentionally oversimplify to remind us that we are just using an idea. Sort of consciousness as a process, or like math computation (even if self-organizing and so on, etc.). (here's a lately article of that general type, which gets more interesting as you get to the middle: https://www.quantamagazine.org/hod-lipson-is-building-self-aware-robots-20190711/)

I've read so many theories about consciousness over the last 40 years. Really, it's been a lot. :)

Lately I'm intrigued by the attempts to try to think about whether quantum mechanics or such could be involved.

#16 halbhh, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  17. Revoltingest

Revoltingest I have the kavorka
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +62,438
    Religion:
    Atheist
    That appears to be a baseless assumption.
    Matter has behaviors that are useful to treat as real.
    We're doing that even now.

18. halbhh

Ratings:
    +660
    Religion:
    Speaking of which (to continue from above), I see Quanta Magazine has a nice collection I've not read most of yet:
    https://www.quantamagazine.org/tag/consciousness

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. exchemist

exchemist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,694
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    Well, QM is certainly involved, in the sense that QM determines how all atoms and molecules interact, including those in the biochemistry of the structures of the brain.

However, as to whether the operation of the brain may involve quantum computing, most physicists seem to think not, as the environment is too dense, warm and "noisy" in terms of the rapid rates of interaction of quantum systems.

There is a terrible tendency just now for people to try to drag QM into just about anything - especially when, or even because, they don't understand it. I am always a bit sceptical of such attempts.;)

20. halbhh

Ratings:
    +660
    Religion:
    :) heh. There's a Quantamagazine article re that in that list I see. Often they have fairly good reporting/writing.