• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corporal punishment

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Hitting doesn't work for anyone.

I think you have a weird idea about what spanking is, if you don't think it counts as physical violence.
Do we spank adults? Nope. We can't even treat dogs that way anymore. Why spank kids then? Why teach them it's okay to hit people?

You didn't address my questions ...

Why do you think that hitting children instills respect for authority? Why do you equate hitting with discipline? Are you not aware of the much more effective methods of discipline available to parents?

Do you want one psychological hypothesis on that? Okay, but PM me, since it is not allowed under the rules of this site out in the open.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I was thinking more on the line of specific child rearing advise given anywhere in our griha sutras.

But you are correct. Ahimsa is a fundamental principle and any social change that moves us towards this is welcome.
The degree to which corporal punishment is used in India, Malaysia, and elsewhere where Hinduism thrives is ridiculous. There needs to be a massive retraining.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
You seem to be under the false impression that violence is the only form of correction.
corporal_punishment_chart.png

from https://www.naturalchild.org/articles/research/corporal_punishment.html

The effect of using violence to a child as a tool to get what you want is that they learn that violence is an option.
So the ones with rare spankings did the best. Kinda like I would expect. Severe abuse is going to hold anything back as I would expect.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
That you can't break into a house with a strong man inside... and that if you need a sword you should sell your coat and get one.
He also knocked down a whole battalion of soldiers by looking at them.

Heyo

Veteran Member
So the ones with rare spankings did the best. Kinda like I would expect. Severe abuse is going to hold anything back as I would expect.
Nope.
You can't deduce that from the graph. There are too few with "no spanking" (but they occur only the best performers). What can be deduced is the tendency that the less violence is involved, the better the performance.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Nope.
You can't deduce that from the graph. There are too few with "no spanking" (but they occur only the best performers). What can be deduced is the tendency that the less violence is involved, the better the performance.
Yes, the less violence, not the lack of spanking...as the graph indicates. Obviously corporal punishment that is rare and not extreme is actually better than no discipline.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Yes, the less violence, not the lack of spanking...as the graph indicates. Obviously corporal punishment that is rare and not extreme is actually better than no discipline.
Nobody is, or has advocated for "no discipline." Why do you keep saying this?

Oh, I know why. Because you equate "discipline" with physical punishment only and don't seem to realize the myriad other more effective methods of discipline that are available.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually the ones with none did the best, as they were the only ones to only be in high performance. If your theory was correct that no physical striking 'spoils' then they wouldn't have consistently preformed so high.

Striking children doesn't instill discipline, it instills their parents have low emotional regulation.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Actually the ones with none did the best, as they were the only ones to only be in high performance. If your theory was correct that no physical striking 'spoils' then they wouldn't have consistently preformed so high.

Striking children doesn't instill discipline, it instills their parents have low emotional regulation.
The ultimate key in all of this is to instill (teach) self-discipline, as then there is no longer any need for society or parents to do it. The abuser in corporal punishment clearly has little self-discipline.

Heyo

Veteran Member
The largest section in professionals is "rare" then the next largest is "moderate."
Let me guess, statistics wasn't your favourite subject?
That's not how this works. You have to set the sections in relation to the sum of all sections and you can't just look at the top section. With "no spanking" you may become a professional or start college. With "rare" spankings you also have a (smaller) chance of becoming a high school drop out or juvenile delinquent.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Let me guess, statistics wasn't your favourite subject?
That's not how this works. You have to set the sections in relation to the sum of all sections and you can't just look at the top section. With "no spanking" you may become a professional or start college. With "rare" spankings you also have a (smaller) chance of becoming a high school drop out or juvenile delinquent.
No matter how you slice it, it looks like rare and moderate have the most positives.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
In the past men of science as the machine destroyed space gods corporeal body.

By their just a human choice. As a group of just human men who agree

Not like our origin first human father.. type the adult man human.

Instead of them claiming my adult man life came from sperm ovary baby. He said I came from clouds mass. So began to destroy natural biology by his choice.

So we legally said no man is God..the God or a god corporeal body.

He ignored everyone. Began destroying all different life forms and body types by his machine.

Is why corporal punishment was first introduced. As men who claim a machine is more important than anything natural.

When you endure torment and torture by that man groups choice. Only then do you agree with the same for him.

Legal in life said the status law was enforced. Yet as it was indirect causes took to make it direct and karmic inherited. The law.

As father hadn't murdered anyone first its natural not to agree with murder. However if you were the victim you might suddenly change your own view.

As no human ever responsibly spoke on behalf of any victim murdered is the position you lie about.

It's why consciously you say how can a murder victim claim self innocence.

You however cannot make the same claim about the murderer.

It's why judging the case was established as a humans rights. We all know victims in crimes can also be lied about.

Yet if you do an assessment if a victim was falsely accused...as compared to all those guilty....choices are made by consensus.

Most humans jailed only needed proper family life schooling emotional support.

Family life taken away by rich men science brother historic. To be under his controls.

You assess how many few and very basic choices of those men has murdered millions upon millions of family victims.

Then realise your argument is moot.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Times, they are a-changing. The wiki article shows when various countries abolished it completely. What is your religion's take on it? What about your country? How about you personally?

Corporal punishment - Wikipedia
Spanking is allowed in my country. It is defined as an open hand to the buttox. When I was a kid, my dad always gave me a choice between a half hour time out in my room or a spanking. I chose the spanking every time -- being apart from familly just seemed like too much.