• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coronavirus Facts and Information thread:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
https://nypost.com/2020/03/13/how-coronavirus-was-transmitted-in-first-person-to-person-case-in-us/

This article provided a detailed account of how the first person-to-person transmission of the virus occurred.

The first case of person-to-person coronavirus transmission in the US happened when a woman who traveled from China to Illinois in mid-January likely passed on the bug to her husband through “prolonged, unprotected contact,” new research reveals.

The woman, in her 60s, traveled to Wuhan on Christmas Day and returned to Illinois on Jan. 13, according to a study published in the medical journal The Lancet.

While In Wuhan, she regularly visited a hospitalized relative and other family members who were ill.

None of them had laboratory-confirmed COVID-19, but it’s unclear if any were tested.

Back at home, she went to an outpatient clinic for fever, fatigue and a cough — and was hospitalized that day for pneumonia.

She reported to medical professionals that her symptoms began as early as six days before admission, according to the findings.

Researchers learned that she had “frequent, close contact” with her husband — who had not traveled to Wuhan — on each of those days, while she had an active cough. She was also suffering from nausea, abdominal discomfort and dizziness.

The individual had contact with hundreds of people who tested negative for the virus, indicating that transmission is more likely through close, extended contact, not through brief or casual interactions.

Researchers identified 347 people who may have had contact with the couple — 195 health-care personnel and 152 community members who may been in their presence.

Forty-three people did develop symptoms and became “persons under investigation,” but no one tested positive for the virus, the study found.

The findings suggest that the virus transmits most easily through extended contact with infected people, not brief, casual interactions, Dr. Jennifer Layden, the chief medical officer of the Chicago Department of Public Health and co-leader of the research, told CNN.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
French schools, universities and crèches will be shut from Monday due to the coronavirus outbreak but local elections across the country will go ahead this weekend.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Some good news:

Coronavirus Live Updates: House Passes Sweeping Relief Package

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...MEAk&usg=AOvVaw2ztSZSPL3Vt5stxC6eJ1xp&ampcf=1

Well done America. Boris Johnson and the conservative government in the UK seem to have the opposite approach despite WHO advice which most countries seem to be following.

Tom Peck: Yes, people will die, says Boris – just keep calm and carry on

Essentially
received_496651854342314.jpeg

ChristineM

Premium Member
France is beginning a progressive shut down in an attempt to fight coronavirus. Schools and universities are now closed. All gatherings of more then 100 people are banned. This has dramatic effects on major tourist sites, the Eiffel tower and the Louvre have closed their doors. All cinemas and theatres are hit.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
The UK is still taking a very laid back approach, I hope the government here know what they are doing, but I'm not entirely convinced. The cynic in me wonders if they're more concerned with minimising economic damage than protecting the lives of the elderly and vulnerable.
Schools have been shut in Eire, but schools are still open in Northern Ireland, just across the border. Hmm.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
COLUMBUS, Ohio (WKEF/WRGT) - Earlier today Governor Mike Dewine, Lieutenant Governor Jon Husted and Dr. Amy Acton announced an order to close Ohio restaurants and bars. The closures will begin at 9 p.m. on March 15, 2020. This order will not impact carry out or delivery but it will prohibit dine in.

Source

ChristineM

Premium Member
And close to home, the county I live in just banned gatherings of 100 or more people. There were sure over 100 people in the supermarket where I was today.

https://cchealth.org/coronavirus/pdf/HO-COVID19-01-Prohibiting-Mass-Gatherings-of-100-or-more.pdf

France. Gatherings of more than 100 people are prohibited

I went to a main market this morning, although about 15% of the traders didn't turn up it was still busy, i estimate well over 1000 people. I couldn't go into a cafe for coffee, but could drink one outside in the crowds.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
France. Gatherings of more than 100 people are prohibited

I went to a main market this morning, although about 15% of the traders didn't turn up it was still busy, i estimate well over 1000 people. I couldn't go into a cafe for coffee, but could drink one outside in the crowds.
The worst crowds are at airports stuffed together waiting for testing. It's a breeding ground for people to catch it. Idiots.

Also the panic buying has too many people in the store at one time.

As they say: common sense is very uncommon.

ChristineM

Premium Member
The worst crowds are at airports stuffed together waiting for testing. It's a breeding ground for people to catch it. Idiots.

Also the panic buying has too many people in the store at one time.

As they say: common sense is very uncommon.

We were supposed to have several groups of visitors from the uk over the next few months, all have cancelled because of the airport problems.

We have not seen much panic buying but i couldn't get sausage or cat litter this morning.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
We were supposed to have several groups of visitors from the uk over the next few months, all have cancelled because of the airport problems.

We have not seen much panic buying but i couldn't get sausage or cat litter this morning.

Wait, people are even panic buying over cat litter? My goodness, it's even worse than I thought.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
US total confirmed cases: 3,667 and +724 new ones. That's an on the order of a 20% jump in confirmed cases in one day. That's only 11.1 cases per 1 million people. If we get to italy's percentage, that'll be over 135,000 people sick with confirmed cases.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In my county, we only had one confirmed case on Friday morning. Now, we have three. So, that's a 300% jump in one weekend.