• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coronavirus Facts and Information thread:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A new study published by scientists at the University of Bristol proves that spiders can sense the Earth's electric field and use it to fly through the air. The process, known as “ballooning,” allows the arachnids to use strands of silk to float up to three miles above the Earth's surface and 1,000 miles out to sea.

Spiders Can Fly Through the Air for Miles Using Electricity, Study Finds – Fortune
It's not controlled flight. They go where the wind blows them. I wouldn't call this "using" Earth's magnetic field.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have a four litre container of isopropyl alcohol. Useful stuff.
Wet a kitchen wipe with iso and put it in a ziplock bag.
Or just carry a small aerosol bottle of it. I've had spray bottles of alcohol in my kitchen and bathroom for years. It's a good cleaner -- better than Windex -- with the added benefit of disinfection without leaving a poisonous residue like Lysol.

Me, I prefer just spraying my hands with alcohol. It evaporates completely and gets into tiny crevices and under nails better than the bottled goop. I don't want those dried thickening agents in the hand sanitizer goop all over my hands, anyway.

Standard concentration is 70%, but I also buy a bottle of 91% concentration to top up my 70% bottles. It evaporates so quickly I want to be sure I get at least a 70% concentration on the surface in question for a few seconds.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Angela Merkel estimates that 60% to 70% of the German population will contract the coronavirus

• German Chancellor Angela Merkel told Parliament on Tuesday that 60% to 70% of the German population could contract the coronavirus.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel gave a grave prognosis to Parliament on Tuesday, telling members that 60% to 70% of the German population could contract the coronavirus at some point, according to Bild.

The German newspaper reported that when Merkel dropped the statistic in the parliamentary meeting, the room fell silent.

Wow. 60-70% of the population.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Been looking for some comparative statistics between spread of the virus in the Northern Hemisphere compared to the Southern Hemisphere, just to give us a clue as to whether or not we in the Northern Hemisphere can expect some relief once flu season ends.

Surprisingly, I haven't been able to find any articles or charts that makes the comparison, but a quick look at the world chart and it does seem as if countries south of the equator are faring better: : view by country

So far, Australia is the only country in the Southern Hemisphere with more than 100 cases.

Potentially bad news for everybody south of the equator though.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Disney World, Disneyland Resorts and Theme Parks to Close Amid Coronavirus Concerns

Disney said on Thursday that it will close its Disney World and Disneyland resort and theme parks in Orlando and Anaheim amid concerns of the novel coronavirus spread in the U.S.

Disney said it will continue to pay its cast members while the parks are closed. The company also recommended that any employees able to work from home — including those at its film studion and TV business — do so.

Earlier on Thursday Disney first made the decision to close its parks and resort in California before following that up by closing the Disney World in Florida and Disneyland Paris. The company said earlier in the day that while there have been no reported cases of COVID-19 at Disneyland Resort, it was closing in the “best interest of our guests and employees,” beginning the morning of March 14 through the end of the month.

Also Read: Disney Postpones Releases of 'Mulan,' 'The New Mutants' and 'Antlers'

“In an abundance of caution and in the best interest of our guests and employees, we are proceeding with the closure of our theme parks at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disneyland Paris Resort, beginning at the close of business on Sunday, March 15, through the end of the month,” a Disney spokesperson said after also closing parks in Florida and Paris. “The hotels at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland Paris will remain open until further notice.

Apparently, they risk losing $1.5 billion if they have to close for 30 days.

Disney risks losing $1.5 billion in revenue if it's forced to close all US theme parks for 30 days, analysts forecast