1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coronavirus Facts and Information thread:

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Quagmire, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Quagmire

Quagmire Imaginary talking monkey
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,288
    Religion:
    None
    Figured it would be a good idea to create a thread specifically for facts, information, and updates about the coronavirus for anybody who actually wants to keep abreast of what's going on. Please let's keep attitudes and opinions out of this thread. We have the rest of the forums for all that.

And:
    *** Note: this thread is in the Current Events forum, which is a sub of General Discussion. Debating is not allowed here. If you want to hold a debate about whether or not we should be taking this whole thing seriously or whatever, please create your own thread in one of the debates forums. ***

For starters:

Today's tally:

Coronavirus Cases:
    view by country

Deaths:

Recovered:

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. Quagmire

Ratings:
    +12,288
    Religion:
    None
  3. Quagmire

Ratings:
    +12,288
    Religion:
    None
    From the New York Times:

--- How to Prepare for the Coronavirus
    "Stock up on home supplies, medicine and resources
    Skip the masks, but don’t skimp on your household supplies — and that goes for prescription and over-the-counter medicine, too.
    Experts suggest stocking at least a 30-day supply of any needed prescriptions, and you should consider doing the same for household items like food staples, laundry detergent, and diapers, if you have small children.

Remember, alcohol is a good disinfectant for coronaviruses so make sure to keep surfaces in your home clean. Throw out those tissues in a wastebasket after you blow your nose.

The C.D.C. also recommends cleaning “high touch” surfaces, like phones and tablets.

Beyond physical items, prepare your home for a potential outbreak in the United States by staying up-to-date with reliable news resources, such as the website of your local health department."

How to Prepare for the Coronavirus ----

The last few weeks every time I go shopping I pick up a little something extra: a 2lb bag of rice, a 1lb bag of beans, a 32 oz thing of oatmeal, a few extra canned goods . .

At this point I have enough food for a cpl of months. It's that easy. And, I haven't done the math yet, but I would be surprised if its cost me an extra $100 so far, probably less.

#3 Quagmire, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Thief

Thief Rogue Theologian

Ratings:
    +4,363
    it seems to prefer cool temps and moist air
    and can survive on a firm surface for days

beware your door knobs

• Like Like x 1
  5. 74x12

74x12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,021
    Religion:
    Itiswhatitis
    Good info, unfortunately I don't think we can fully trust the Chinese government's numbers. However, it's all we got for now.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Quagmire

Ratings:
    +12,288
    Religion:
    None
    Let's hope the change of seasons slows this thing down. We'll still have to deal with it next year, but I can wait. :D

Unfortunately, we'll have other sources of information soon, as the rest of the world seems to be catching up quickly.

"South Korea coronavirus cases pass 4,800"
    Coronavirus news and live updates: South Korea cases pass 4,800 - CNN

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Thief

Thief Rogue Theologian

Ratings:
    +4,363
    you forgot the lentils
    white navy beans and some lentils have the same nutrition as a steak

• Like Like x 1
  8. Quagmire

Ratings:
    +12,288
    Religion:
    None
    Actually, I bought a lb of lentils too. :D

Only thing I still need that I haven't picked up yet is pancake mix. I like the good stuff, Kodiak whole wheat, so I'm waiting for it to go on sale.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Quagmire

Ratings:
    +12,288
    Religion:
    None
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,676
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    One thing to watch out for are the supposed cures and preventative measures which could be more deadly than the virus: https://nypost.com/2020/02/27/phony...ng-deadly-vitamin-doses-to-fight-coronavirus/

Miracle Mineral Supplement, with bleach.

That's a lot of vitamin C and D.

Another clinic in Colorado is offering vitamin C treatments, also with high doses.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. adrian009

adrian009 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,460
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. Quagmire

Ratings:
    +12,288
    Religion:
    None
    Personally, I'm uping my vitamin C intake a bit (half a gram supplement per day) and plan on eating healthier over all, including some herbs with known anti-viral properties, like garlic and ginger: 15 Antiviral Herbs to Keep You Healthy

But I binge on those from time to time anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Quagmire

Ratings:
    +12,288
    Religion:
    None
    I just got back from the store a cpl hours ago and I noticed that half of the shelves holding rice and dried beans are empty, and the only bottles of rubbing alcohol that were left were the mint scented ones (probably because people didn't know what it was). I wasn't specifically looking either, these were just things that I noticed as I was buying groceries.

So I did a google search:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/02/grocery-stores-coronavirus-panic-buying/
    Hoarding in the USA? Coronavirus sparks consumer concerns
    Grocers, Retailers Prepare for Surge in Demand as Coronavirus Spreads

From Reuters:

Consider, Italy saw it's first case about a month ago: 2020 coronavirus outbreak in Italy - Wikipedia

#13 Quagmire, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  14. adrian009

adrian009 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,460
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    More authoritative facts and advice from a New Zealand perspective

What is COVID-19?

Recently, an outbreak of a new coronavirus disease now called COVID-19 (sometimes called novel coronavirus or 2019-nCoV) was identified. Coronaviruses are a large and diverse family of viruses which cause illnesses such as the common cold, severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS).

New Zealand is prepared and ready to deal with a COVID-19 outbreak should it occur here. The risk of an ongoing outbreak is low-moderate, but we are monitoring the situation closely.

Symptoms
    Symptoms of COVID-19 are similar to a range of other illnesses such as influenza. Having any of these symptoms does not necessarily mean that you have COVID-19.

Symptoms include:
    • fever
    • coughing
    • difficulty breathing.
    Difficulty breathing is a sign of possible pneumonia and requires immediate medical attention.

We don’t yet know how long symptoms take to show after a person has been infected, but current World Health Organization assessments suggest that it is 2–10 days.

If you have these symptoms and have recently been to a country or area of concern, or have been in close contact with someone confirmed with COVID-19, please telephone New Zealand Healthline (for free) on 0800 358 5453 or your doctor immediately.

How it spreads
    Like the flu, COVID-19 can be transmitted from person to person. The scientific evidence confirms that coronavirus is spread by droplets. This means that when an infected person coughs, sneezes or talks, they may generate droplets containing the virus. These droplets are too large to stay in the air for long, so they quickly settle on surrounding surfaces.

Droplet-spread diseases can be spread by:

• coughing and sneezing
    • close personal contact
    • contact with an object or surface with viral particles on it and then touching your mouth, nose or eyes.
    That's why it's really important to practice good hygiene, regularly wash and thoroughly dry your hands and practice good cough etiquette.

Prevention - how to protect yourself and others
    You can take some simple steps to help stop the spread of diseases like COVID-19.

• Avoid close contact with people with cold or flu-like illnesses.
    • Cover coughs and sneezes with disposable tissues or clothing.
    • Wash hands for at least 20 seconds with water and soap and dry them thoroughly:
      • before eating or handling food
      • after using the toilet
      • after coughing, sneezing, blowing your nose or wiping children’s noses
      • after caring for sick people.

What to do if you may have been exposed
    People returning from mainland China, Iran, northern Italy or the Republic of Korea, or who may have been exposed to COVID-19, are self-isolating to keep their communities safe.

• If you returned from mainland China, Iran, northern Italy or the Republic of Korea in the last 14 days, then you should self-isolate for 14 days from the date of departure.
    • If you have been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 you should self-isolate for 14 days from the date of close contact.
    We know from other outbreaks that self-isolation is effective, and most people are good at keeping themselves – and others – safe and well. To find out more, see our Self-isolation resource.

COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) – health advice for the general public

• Like Like x 1
  15. Quagmire

Ratings:
    +12,288
    Religion:
    None
    fyi, I managed to buy a lot of my emergency food supplies from the local Dollar Tree. I figure, rice is rice, oatmeal is oatmeal, pasta is pasta.

Just something to consider if you're planning on stocking up yourself.

16. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +22,240
    Religion:
    Love
  17. Quagmire

Ratings:
    +12,288
    Religion:
    None
    Remember: if people think the stores are going to run out of food, the stores are going to run out of food.

I know I'm advocating hoarding, which is, ironically the source of the potential scarcity that I'm advocating preparing for, but I figure that it would be easier for the stores to keep up with demand now than it might be later on if the supply lines are interrupted in any way (we saw supply chain problems in Wuhan).

My philosophy is: better everybody freaks out a little now than freak out a lot later.

18. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,676
    Religion:
    Agnostic
  19. Quagmire

Ratings:
    +12,288
    Religion:
    None
    And the human race is a lot more interconnected now.

20. Quagmire

Ratings:
    +12,288
    Religion:
    None
    Homemade face mask:

• Funny Funny x 2