• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coronavirus: Do some religious people have their heads in the sand?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Also, wash your hands with an alcoholic sanitizer.
Yes, I don't have that yet. But, maybe better this way for me. It's a very good reason to stay inside. And when inside 100% then I am safe I guess. As nobody else enters my house, and if I get a package, I quarantine it for 14 days, just to make sure. I do have plenty of those medical gloves though.

But I already googled, so I might order some bottles of alcohol. Need it for something else too.

But most important, I think ... "Do not eat with your fingers" AND "do not touch your mouth, nose, eyes or other holes, where corona might enter".

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
True. One is Absolute and the other is created by our own beliefs and perceptions, which is false, 'maya'. It is more harmful then Corona Virus. It has killed millions of people in history.

So the One is us and allows for false, yet I assume that the One is the Truth.
You have just run into the theodicy problem. Welcome to the club.

Regards
Mikkel

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
But most important, I think ... "Do not eat with your fingers" AND "do not touch your mouth, nose, eyes or other holes, where corona might enter".
Mouth, nose and eyes are OK, but does corona enters through other holes also? :)
At one time, it was obligatory for Indians to take a bath before meals.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So the One is us and allows for false, yet I assume that the One is the Truth.
You did not pay attention to what I wrote in my previous post - "the other is created by our own beliefs and perceptions." You do, I don't. Theodicy is your problem, not mine. I do not see any problem. Brahman does not care for what is happening on earth. For it, even if Andromeda crashes into Milky way, it won't make any difference, it possibly has 80 billion galaxies - as per my view. Other Hindus may have different view. Brahman is not a God for me. It is the substrate of all things in the universe. As you know, I am a strong atheist. I deny even the possibility of existence of any God.

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Thank you loverofhumanity. Very true. And with such a virus, the best option for me (weak health) is to stay inside. So, the coming months I'll do that (unless they beat the virus, but here in Holland they warn us, that it might take a year or more even; of course just guess work, I guess). Luckily I enjoy being inside and just meditate, cook some healthy food to hopefully improve immune system enough (just in case), and be on RF. Days just fly by. Already 1 week like this, no problem for me. First few days, I did have a few times, I almost walked out, but after 3 or 4 days discipline, that thought is gone now.

Must be very hard for people working in hospitals though, every day the reality to maybe get infected. I hope all the weak and sick are smart enough to stay inside, then those people working in hospitals, will be in less danger.

it’s good that you can care so well for yourself mentally and spiritually. Myself I feel a deep, deep love for humanity so at times I feel devastated and crushed almost becoming unbearable to see my fellow humans go through such a torturous time. It is not the disease so much but the ‘terror’ it is instilling into people. Maybe 12,000 have died but billions are terrified. They need to have perspective but they are panicking and over reacting. Media and govt behaviour is causing so much alarm that I think more are suffering hopelessness and depression now than suffer from the disease.

This passage from Baha’u’llah helps me keep my perspective but it’s devastating to see my dear fellow human go through so much fear, panic and terror. This will pass soon I’m positive so we need to be strong and calm.

“Soon will the present day order be rolled up, and a new one spread out in its stead.”

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You did not pay attention to what I wrote in my previous post - "the other is created by our own beliefs and perceptions." You do, I don't. Theodicy is your problem, not mine. I do not see any problem. Brahman does not care for what is happening on earth. For it, even if Andromeda crashes into Milky way, it won't make any difference - as per my view. Other Hindus may have different view. Brahman is not a God for me. It is the substrate of all things in the universe. As you know, I am a strong atheist. I deny even the possibility of existence of any God.

Yes, I get it. We are a part of the one, except when we are not and create something not related to the One and it is all the One, yet it is not.

Regards
Mikkel

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I do not know if you got strict Advaita Hinduism (non-duality) correctly. I can't understand what you have written.

stvdv

Mouth, nose and eyes are OK, but does corona enters through other holes also? :)
At one time, it was obligatory for Indians to take a bath before meals.
Muslims do it also sometimes, I heard

Yes, nowadays some have piercings everywhere. I am not sure, but I think it is a way for Corona to get in
The virus is 1 micrometer (a hair is 70 micrometer) I heard a doctor say. Better don't pull your hairs:D

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, nowadays some have piercings everywhere. I am not sure, but I think it is a way for Corona to get in.
The virus is 1 micrometer (a hair is 70 micrometer) I heard a doctor say. Better don't pull your hairs. :D
That is not much of a problem in India. It is limited to a minority in cities, and I have no reason to pull at my hair. :D
Though I am worried about one thing. Delhi is in a lock-down till March 31. How will I get my cigarettes! :(

Congrats, @Trailblazer. You are among the top posters today, 43 posts!

Scott C.

Just one guy
I have noticed that some religious people are just going about their ‘business as usual’ while the world economy is crashing and people are dying from this virus. I cannot put my finger on it, but something does not seem right about that. \

This is what the President of my church had to say about this:

stvdv

“Soon will the present day order be rolled up, and a new one spread out in its stead.”
Do you know what Bahaullah meant with that? First thought I get is, that "the ones now in control will make place for others" ... can mean a war even. Big shifts sometimes come with major trouble (or call it cleansing).

stvdv

more are suffering hopelessness and depression now than suffer from the disease.
We have a saying in Dutch, translated something like "man often suffers most from the suffering he fears"
I think, that part of spiritual growing is to go through the cleansing of our "emotional body"
Fear, anger, hate ... all has to be cleansed, before we re-unite with "Love"

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What is absolutely crazy and nuts is the fact that they're willing to bring themselves together in huge massive groups thinking unrealistically that God will protect them. As far as I'm concerned, stupid is as stupid does with those kind of people.
That would be stupid, but where I live, the governor has put a kibosh on that. All churches are closed. ;)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yeah, we are one, but we stop being one as soon as you start blowing your trumpet.
I am not blowing any trumpet.
Do you want to know when we stop being one?
We stop being one when you keep blowing your trumpet about the trumpet you "believe" I am blowing.
The reason we stop being one is because that kind of negativity causes disharmony.

We can all be one in spite of our differences in beliefs. It is an attitude and a behavior...

BEAUTY AND HARMONY IN DIVERSITY