• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Consciousness?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
What is it?

How does it work?

I have no idea.

But I know that I am conscious.

And I'm working on the assumption that others are too.

Does anyone actually know?

exchemist

Veteran Member
What is it?

How does it work?

I have no idea.

It's just the activity of the brain when an animal is awake, surely? What's the big mystery?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
It's just the activity of the brain when an animal is awake, surely? What's the big mystery?
But how does it work?

When I look at a rose and see the colour red how does my experience of the redness work? Why does it feel like something?

It seems pretty mysterious to me

MatthewA

Great question Eddi: would like to provide the thread with what and how in the Websters World Dictionary 1984:

Defines Conscious :

Conscious - : adj. [L. conscius, knowing, aware]

1. Having a feeling or knowledge (of ones own sensations, feelings, etc.or of external things); knowing or feeling (that somthing is or was happening or existing); aware; cognizant

2. able to feel and think; in the normal waking state

3. aware of oneself as a thinking being; knowing what one is doing and why

4. same as self-conscious

5. accompanied by an awareness of what one is thinking, feeling, and doing; intentional (conscious humor)

6. Known to or felt by oneself [Conscious guilt] ~

Syn ~ AWARE - the conscious : Psychol. that part of a personals mental activity of which he is fully aware at any given time: see also unconscious, and preconscious ~~ ~~

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Great question Eddi: would like to provide the thread with what and how in the Websters World Dictionary 1984:

Defines Conscious :

Conscious - : adj. [L. conscius, knowing, aware]

1. Having a feeling or knowledge (of ones own sensations, feelings, etc.or of external things); knowing or feeling (that somthing is or was happening or existing); aware; cognizant

2. able to feel and think; in the normal waking state

3. aware of oneself as a thinking being; knowing what one is doing and why

4. same as self-conscious

5. accompanied by an awareness of what one is thinking, feeling, and doing; intentional (conscious humor)

6. Known to or felt by oneself [Conscious guilt] ~

Syn ~ AWARE - the conscious : Psychol. that part of a personals mental activity of which he is fully aware at any given time: see also unconscious, and preconscious ~~ ~~
But how does it work?

I am currently aware that I am typing on a computer

How does my awareness of that work? Why does it feel like something - and how????

MatthewA

because you know you are typing

say you drunk an only doing half of what is fully conscious

make sense?

Do you look at a green light and say stop or Go?

Do you look at a stop light and say looks like it might be green, Go!

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
because you know you are typing

say you drunk an only doing half of what is fully conscious

make sense?

Do you look at a green light and say stop or Go?

Do you look at a stop light and say looks like it might be green, Go!
But how does me seeing a green light work?

How does the experience of feeling the quality of greenness work?

How does the feeling of any experience work?

How does experience work?

I don't think it can be explained

idea

Question Everything
But how does it work?

I am currently aware that I am typing on a computer

How does my awareness of that work? Why does it feel like something - and how????

Your religion:Simulation Theology, sounds interesting. I once assigned a bonus HW to anyone who would come up with an action that could not be written up as an algorithm. To walk through one day, keeping track of all one's actions, and try to map it all out into an algorithm.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Your religion:Simulation Theology, sounds interesting. I once assigned a bonus HW to anyone who would come up with an action that could not be written up as an algorithm. To walk through one day, keeping track of all one's actions, and try to map it all out into an algorithm.

Tracking thoughts, it is interesting.
Did you come up with one?

Your link doesn't work :(

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
What is it?

How does it work?

I have no idea.

In my Advaita Vedanta (non-dual Hindu) philosophy Consciousness is one thing our minds can't get behind to see and understand. An analogy might be the eye trying to see itself.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
In my Advaita Vedanta (non-dual Hindu) philosophy Consciousness is one thing our minds can't get behind to see and understand. An analogy might be the eye trying to see itself.
That is similar to how I see it

I don't think the mind can understand how a mind works

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
That is similar to how I see it

I don't think the mind can understand how a mind works
It appears we are in good company.

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

Max Planck

MatthewA

But how does me seeing a green light work?

How does the experience of feeling the quality of greenness work?

How does the feeling of any experience work?

How does experience work?

I don't think it can be explained

Fair enough thank you for listening.

All of these questions come with the use of the body. I have no other explanation than :

From My birth (My soul was created); and being born (my soul came out in a bag of flesh named the Body) ~ Grew up and had experiences ever since kindergarten. Where the teachers there help, and taught me to read, and to understand how traffic signs work. Growing up have had experiences in just about every portion of life itself, while never having to really move any where different or to a new location though have moved 3 times in my life all in very close proximity of each other as far being with-in one county.

Growing up, we experience life.

You put your hand on the stove top when it hot, and you realize that your hand is getting burned you instantly remove your hand (unless you are someone will delayed reaction ~ from a problem that is with-in the brain). You might not remove it instantly if there is no feeling there.

You run a red light, you get pulled over.
You speed you get pulled over. There are signs on the road the signify the speed limits and regulations of the traffic though as humans will break rules and go our own speed limit when you desire to do so or you try to keep it right at the speed limit or whatever.

All of these things are learned in life by many different people, and cultures with all types of backgrounds. Though some experiences in life might not be able to be achieved by some due to deformities or whatever but even the people with deformities still making world-breaking records, and do things a normal person might not care to do anyway. (One example would be Helen Keller; There was also a man with no legs who ended up climbing a really tall mountain, and there many more to count.)

Humans are amazing.

You take care Eddi, and all whom read.

Thank you for sharing this George-ananda.
Thinking about this; in Christian Philosophy: The bible shows the creation of Man; and also the fall; and Jesus Christ even explains how thought comes from the heart of an individual.

Thinking about these things; when it comes to the nature of knowledge and the reality of what Jesus Christ is teaching is quite profound (though some may disagree ), and believe that we can receive the conscience of how (the us) as humans work. By and through using and learning about the bible, reading about God, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Some of the things He had to mention are found here if you would like to look. Mark 7:18-24).

I will not say that it is possible for the Lord Jesus Christ to be wrong about what he is speaking about; though will say it is possible in the things I personally may say and get wrong myself sometimes.

Never believe me but always go back and check the bible and see what it has to say and look to God, and Jesus Christ if you are a believer. If you are not a believer still may you be kept safe and out of harms way.

Last edited:

RestlessSoul

Practice slowly losing awareness until unconscious, take notes, rinse repeat?

Maybe you will come up with a list of terms.

I heard Salman Rushdie give a talk once about where he gets his inspiration from; he mentioned the point where, on awakening or going to sleep, his conscious mind met his unconscious mind, and just for a brief while, they understood each other. And as a writer, he sought to cultivate that particular garden of the mind.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It appears we are in good company.

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

Max Planck

That's part of the theory in the reference I cited.