• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congratulations U.K. Boris Johnson is your New P.M.!

Notanumber

A Free Man
You mean when the immigration was from Pakistan? Or before that the Caribbean or before that from china?

The only reason the uk has done well is because there has been a steady supply of immigrants for the last 150 years (probably longer) who have been more than willing to take the low paid jobs that brits dont want, they would rather collect social security and family credit than get their hands dirty

No one is against controlled immigration but there are limits.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
And the british government is in charge of those limits and every year they have ignored those limits because of need.
I can't even fully keep track of the b.s. in my own country, I certainly don't pretend to have an informed opinion about the doings in Britain.

But I suspect that the immigration problem there is similar to the one here. The flood of immigrants is bad for the blue collar working class, but very good for the investing class. This is because they help keep wages flat or declining, while keeping consumption(therefore prices and profits) high. Therefore lots of people oppose it, but the wealthy elite make sure nothing effective gets done about it.
Because they actually run the government, not the plebes.
Tom

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I can't even fully keep track of the b.s. in my own country, I certainly don't pretend to have an informed opinion about the doings in Britain.

But I suspect that the immigration problem there is similar to the one here. The flood of immigrants is bad for the blue collar working class, but very good for the investing class. This is because they help keep wages flat or declining, while keeping consumption(therefore prices and profits) high. Therefore lots of people oppose it, but the wealthy elite make sure nothing effective gets done about it.
Because they actually run the government, not the plebes.
Tom

Good summary. But its not that bad for the working class (although NAN will tell you otherwise). Mostly immigrants take the poorly paid and dirty jobs that most british workers dont want. But are actually essential to the running of the country. An example is NHS cleaners, a job willingly done by immigrants. With brexit looming many are fleeing the UK leaving a shortage of cleaning staff despite 3.8% unemployment rate. Brit workers just wont entertain the work.

Same applies to farm laborers. Supermarkets are stockpiling food because next year it is expected there wont be enough workers to harvest the food. Shortages are predicted. Again brits dont want the work.

Darkforbid

Good summary. But its not that bad for the working class (although NAN will tell you otherwise). Mostly immigrants take the poorly paid and dirty jobs that most british workers dont want. But are actually essential to the running of the country. An example is NHS cleaners, a job willingly done by immigrants. With brexit looming many are fleeing the UK leaving a shortage of cleaning staff despite 3.8% unemployment rate. Brit workers just wont entertain the work.

Same applies to farm laborers. Supermarkets are stockpiling food because next year it is expected there wont be enough workers to harvest the food. Shortages are predicted. Again brits dont want the work.

Yep, why should we work for less than minimum wage

Darkforbid

So why gripe when essential jobs you wont do get done.

I don't gripe. It makes absolutely no difference to me even if the county completely collapsed

But it amazes me that you think people should be payed as little as possible very Victoria

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The people that do the sh*tty jobs deserve extra pay and they would get it if they were not being undercut.
Part of the reason that I don't pretend to understand the Brits is because I don't the you have the same devotion to free market capitalism that we have around here, in the USA.
Around here it's the dominant religion.

That's why I find it dishonest, around here, to claim that Americans won't do the job. Crank up the pay until people are willing to sell their labor to do the job needing done. That might be really a lot, but it's the free market system. Nobody stopped the gas stations from cranking their prices, just because people didn't want to pay $4/gal.
Tom

shmogie

You mean when the immigration was from Pakistan? Or before that the Caribbean or before that from china?

The only reason the uk has done well is because there has been a steady supply of immigrants for the last 150 years (probably longer) who have been more than willing to take the low paid jobs that brits dont want, they would rather collect social security and family credit than get their hands dirty
This is the ONLY reason the UK has done well. Really ?

I think not.

shmogie

Part of the reason that I don't pretend to understand the Brits is because I don't the you have the same devotion to free market capitalism that we have around here, in the USA.
Around here it's the dominant religion.

That's why I find it dishonest, around here, to claim that Americans won't do the job. Crank up the pay until people are willing to sell their labor to do the job needing done. That might be really a lot, but it's the free market system. Nobody stopped the gas stations from cranking their prices, just because people didn't want to pay $4/gal.
Tom
Supply and demand. A large and increasing supply of workers willing to do bad jobs for less pay means wages go down.

Less workers increases demand and wages go up.

ChristineM

Premium Member
The people that do the sh*tty jobs deserve extra pay and they would get it if they were not being undercut.

What? Yes they deserve better pay but *the man* wont pay more. No undercutting involved. They earn the going rate and *the man* doesn't care where they are born.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I don't gripe. It makes absolutely no difference to me even if the county completely collapsed

But it amazes me that you think people should be payed as little as possible very Victoria

I don't, see above post about who is paying the wages

Edit : when i was an employer the rates i paid were among the best in the UK, can't skimp when only the best are good enough?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Time for all that to change when we take back control of the UK.

:shrug:

Like thats gonna happen. How will you change the ingrained need to dodge work when social security pays better?

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Notanumber

A Free Man
:shrug:

Like thats gonna happen. How will you change the ingrained need to dodge work when social security pays better?

We will start by making our politicians earn their keep. The buck will finally stop with them.

If we don’t get results, they will be out at the next General Election.

Accountability is the key.

ChristineM

Premium Member
We will start by making our politicians earn their keep. The buck will finally stop with them.

If we don’t get results, they will be out at the next General Election.

Accountability is the key.

How ya going to dictate to politicians? Once they get voted in you have no control over them.

Oh you mean precisely like it is now... Gotta