• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerning? Ring of Power

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Jackson also leaned WAY more towards pipe weed being like cannabis than tobacco.
Lol I remember watching the weed scene in Fellowship and the parents beside me were beyond scandalised. Course I didn’t understand why at the time since I was like 8 or something lol
But I remember them shielding their kid’s eyes

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Lol I remember watching the weed scene in Fellowship and the parents beside me were beyond scandalised. Course I didn’t understand why at the time since I was like 8 or something lol
Yeah, according to Tolkein himself pipe weed is a "variety of probably nicotiana."
I remember after watching Fellowship in the movie, being totally dumbfounded by these two old hags going on about how "sometimes the violence is just as bad as the nudity.":confused:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I like Lord of the Rings and hope that Ring of Power will live up to the expectations, but given how many things are being ruined by modern adaptations, im really concerned that we will get yet another dumpster fire of a show.

What concerns me is despite the billion dollar budget it has, some of the stuff we have seen, seem extremely poor and my concern is that to little effort or to many shortcuts have been put into this show, that it will give it a vibe of being cheap and mixed with them potentially molding the lore to what they like, rather than staying true to the source material, im getting even more concerned.

This is from the production, looking at the printed scale mail, she is wearing underneath the real one. This one comes off very cheap in my opinion, as we can assume that she is one of the main characters.

View attachment 64723
Now take into account that this series are suppose to have a budget of around 100-150 million dollars per season, adding up to around 1 billion dollars. Now Lord of the rings the whole trilogy had a budget of 281 million dollars and this is how they created the mails for the characters in that.

This is another image from the trailer, where you can see her mail armor blow in the wind as being made of cloth or some other non metal material obviously. Again, to me that is very concerning.

View attachment 64724

I tried watching the Wheel of time, but I simply couldn't get through it because it gave off a cheap vibe as well. Hopefully this won't matter, but have to admit that I don't have much hope, seeing how they manage to butcher pretty much everything they try to make in a lot of these adaptations.
Whilst I can see how that can be concerning, to be fair, TV budgets are a lot different to movie budgets, even now. They do have to cut more corners overall

And this being still in production (I assume) these images might not be the completed post production images either.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, according to Tolkein himself pipe weed is a "variety of probably nicotiana."
Interesting.
Incidentally I’ve recently rewatched the trilogy (still epic) but I did notice that both actors looked stoned af during that scene lol

I remember after watching Fellowship in the movie, being totally dumbfounded by these two old hags going on about how "sometimes the violence is just as bad as the nudity.":confused:

Whoa! Did you watch the uncut version?
I don’t recall any nudity and I have the extended editions!
US holding out on us, are they? They get the juicier cut and give us the censored version, eh? I see how it is ;):D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Sure, it might be mithril, However I doubt it given the state it is in all torn apart etc. And I don't think it matches what mithril is suppose to look like either, as it is silvery and very beautiful.

I don't get that impression from what she is wearing.
Another point on this.
Does Batman wear black or gray and blue? Is it purple with nipples or black looking armored? Or does it look just black and plain? What kind of vehicle is the Bat Mobile? Does Oswald Cobblepot have normal looking hands or deformed hands? Was the Joker the Redhood or someone else entirely?
These things show us that even with visual and written story telling the details are likely to change just as with oral story telling.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Whoa! Did you watch the uncut version?
This was just the regular edition, after the movie was done. Apparently the human body to some is more offensive than violence. I don't know how, I don't understand this, and I don't want the drugs needed to reach such a conclusion.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
This was just the regular edition, after the movie was done. Apparently the human body to some is more offensive than violence. I don't know how, I don't understand this, and I don't want the drugs needed to reach such a conclusion.
Well I was kind of joking lol

But I don’t really recall any nudity in Fellowship.
Then again maybe years of watching European cinema has desensitised me.:shrug:

But yeah I don’t get it either.
Indeed your rating system is rather bizarre. Ours count nude scenes as needing maybe an M (which is the rough equivalent of a PG-13 rating for the States.)
Graphic violence is what gets higher ratings here. For example all three Lord of the Rings films are rated as M15 (meaning anyone under 15 should/needs to be accompanied by an adult) here due to violence and “graphic scenes” I think referring specifically to the special effects of like the Orcs and “scary fantasy creatures” like Shelobe and goblins and what have you. I don’t think any nudity was really taken into consideration for the rating lol

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But I don’t really recall any nudity in Fellowship.
There's none.
Indeed your rating system is rather bizarre. Ours count nude scenes as needing maybe an M (which is the rough equivalent of a PG-13 rating for the States.)
Graphic violence is what gets higher ratings here. For example all three Lord of the Rings films are rated as M15 (meaning anyone under 15 should/needs to be accompanied by an adult)
The Trilogy is PG-13 here. Nudity will generally get an R rating for movies and MA for TV.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
There's none.
Oh. I was racking my brain
Thought I might have missed something :D

The Trilogy is PG-13 here. Nudity will generally get an R rating for movies and MA for TV.
Yeah that’s a bit odd, to be honest
A lot of your R rated movies fall into the PG - R range here. So it’s a little bit interesting to see such a variety be rated R lol

Nimos

Whilst I can see how that can be concerning, to be fair, TV budgets are a lot different to movie budgets, even now. They do have to cut more corners overall

And this being still in production (I assume) these images might not be the completed post production images either.
As I said, the 3 lord of the rings movies had a total budget of 280+ million dollars, each season is suppose to have between 100 to 150 million dollars, for a total of 1 billion dollars, in comparison since they are in the same genre, game of thrones spend around 100 million dollars per season, in the end at least, in the start it was less that half of an episode in the end. Yet, I personally never watched it and thought that it looked cheap.

Also one would assume that all the armors, props etc. can be reused. And again, there is no issue "faking" stuff on people in the background. But these are part of their official trailer, which one would assume is what they consider to be something that is really cool as its the material that is suppose to sell the whole show.

Furthermore, knowing what they are dealing with in regards to Lord of the Rings, which has a massive fan base, they should expect that people are going through these trailers frame by frame and stuff like this will be spotted very quickly.

Yet they didn't care or saw it as an issue, which I think is concerning to be honest, when having such knowledge and still doing it.

Last edited:

Nimos

Another point on this.
Does Batman wear black or gray and blue? Is it purple with nipples or black looking armored? Or does it look just black and plain? What kind of vehicle is the Bat Mobile? Does Oswald Cobblepot have normal looking hands or deformed hands? Was the Joker the Redhood or someone else entirely?
These things show us that even with visual and written story telling the details are likely to change just as with oral story telling.
Well yes and no, obvious there should be some creative freedom. But to me, certain things are just stupid to do so with. Mithril is a made up material and is defined as you would gold or silver etc. And given that they have gotten the look handed to them by the lord of the rings movies, if it is in fact suppose to be mithril, I think this is a very bad place trying to change the look, because they will have to explain, why it doesn't fit the description of mithril then, otherwise people will find it weird that it acts as cloth.

And honestly I think its in the same category as the printed scale mail, that these details doesn't really seem very important to the creators.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
As I said, the 3 lord of the rings movies had a budget of 280+ million dollars, each season is suppose to have between 100 to 150 million dollars, for a total of 1 billion dollars, in comparison since they are in the same genre, game of thrones spend around 100 million dollars per season, in the end at least, in the start is was less that half of an episode in the end. Yet, I personally never watched it and thought that it looked cheap.
That’s because you presumably never saw the final product. If you look at some preproduction images from even Jackson’s adaption they don’t always look the best. Indeed sometimes coming across as cheap looking, even on the DVD versions I have. Not always sure why though

Editing and post production usually cleans up any blemishes.

Also one would assume that all the armors, props etc. can be reused. And again, there is no issue "faking" stuff on people in the background. But these are part of their official trailer, which one would assume is what they consider to be something that is really cool as its the material that is suppose to sell the whole show.

That kind of depends. What their budget for clothing is, how many actors, how many reshoots they need. Plus they probably have much more filming restrictions due to COVID. Jackson didn’t have to worry about that

Furthermore, knowing what they are dealing with in regards to Lord of the Rings, which has a massive fan base, they should expect that people are going through these trailers frame by frame and stuff like this will be spotted very quickly.

Yes I was sort of predicting this myself, truth be told. We Tolkeinites like to pick apart everything, don’t we? :D

Yet they didn't care or saw it as an issue, which I think is concerning to be honest, having such knowledge and still doing it.
Perhaps. Time will tell. I’m going to reserve my judgments until I see the show. Hopefully it will be good. But I understand your concerns all the same

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well yes and no, obvious there should be some creative freedom. But to me, certain things are just stupid to do so with. Mithril is a made up material and is defined as you would gold or silver etc. And given that they have gotten the look handed to them by the lord of the rings movies, if it is in fact suppose to be mithril, I think this is a very bad place trying to change the look, because they will have to explain, why it doesn't fit the description of mithril then, otherwise people will find it weird that it acts as cloth.

And honestly I think its in the same category as the printed scale mail, that these details doesn't really seem very important to the creators.
Mithril is found throughout high fantasy stories and settings. Middle Earth, Forgotten Realms, Azeroth, Elder Scrolls, it's a very common metal in such settings. And much like unobtainium (common in sci-fi and philosophy) it's entirely fake so it's properties and appearance aren't uniform or always consistent.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
As I said, the 3 lord of the rings movies had a total budget of 280+ million dollars, each season is suppose to have between 100 to 150 million dollars, for a total of 1 billion dollars, in comparison since they are in the same genre, game of thrones spend around 100 million dollars per season, in the end at least, in the start is was less that half of an episode in the end. Yet, I personally never watched it and thought that it looked cheap.
Cheap? It has the best dragons I've ever seen on screen. They don't have the charm or appeal of Draco from DragonHeart, but when Danny uses Drogon to intimidate people it is a very intimidating looking dragon. The fire swords were also brilliant effects, and pretty cool that they brought to screen a common high fantasy enchantment and made it look great. The Mountain, standing in his King's Guard armor, again is very intimidating. And Wildfire they did extremely well with, capturing the fiery green brilliance of it to make it look like the terrifyingly beautiful weapon deserving of it's nickname of the Jade Demon.
original.gif

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
I'm not holding out much expectations for this. From what I've come across of fan reactions, much is not favorable, and it appears Amazon has no interest in maintaining the integrity of the source material. And if the current scuttlebutt is correct, Amazon fired Tom Shippey (one of the top authorities on Tolkein) because he publicly talked about what Amazon could or could not do to stay true to canon (interview) and reportedly indicated Amazon was "polluting the lore".

Given how many IPs are being used as nothing more than a platform for whatever the studios want to focus on, I won't be surprised if that's the case here. I'll be delighted if it's not the case, but I'm not holding my breath.

Nimos

That’s because you presumably saw the final product. If you look at some preproduction images from even Jackson’s adaption they don’t always look the best. Indeed sometimes coming across as cheap looking, even on the DVD versions I have. Not always sure why though

Editing and post production usually cleans up any blemishes.
But I don't think that is an excuse, the image I linked is from their official trailer. Its not something which have been dug out from a random website. If they didn't polish it, they must be insanely stupid :) Because this is what they are trying to sell their show with, people should go away from watching a trailer thinking "This looks freaking amazing!!"

That kind of depends. What their budget for clothing is, how many actors, how many reshoots they need. Plus they probably have much more filming restrictions due to COVID. Jackson didn’t have to worry about that
I don't buy that, people working at film sets or tv in general, during covid were getting tested constantly, it obviously makes it more complicated, but a lot of these locations are on greenscreen and studios. They are building a studio in England I think it is, which might use a lot of the money. But still all the clothing etc. are calculated into the budget or at least it should be. And besides that, if they for instance thought that it was to expensive to make a whole scale mail, why not simply give her a white or purple shirt instead? I mean no one is going to buy t-shirt printing service in Lord of the rings :D

Yes I was sort of predicting this myself, truth be told. We Tolkeinites like to pick apart everything, don’t we? :D
But this happens with everything, that is why these things are even a success in the first place. Whether its Star wars, Alien or Lord of the rings. Because there is not exactly a lot of these massive successful things, meaning its not everyday a new Lord of the Rings or Star wars are created, so when these things are finally done, people get excited.

And given how easily destroyed these things are, again look at Star wars, which to me at least, is completely dead. The only reason I care to watch it, is to see how badly Disney can ruin it now. The canon for Star wars for me, is the original movies and the ones that Georg Lucas made, despite them not being very good. All the Disney stuff is just adaptation of Star wars, nothing more.

Now, I don't think the Ring of Power can destroy Lord of the rings, because its such a long time before the books, but it can become very silly.

Perhaps. Time will tell. I’m going to reserve my judgments until I see the show. Hopefully it will be good. But I understand your concerns all the same
Same, Im not writing them off just because of this, but it does remove yet some more points :D

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
But I don't think that is an excuse, the image I linked is from their official trailer. Its not something which have been dug out from a random website. If they didn't polish it, they must be insanely stupid :) Because this is what they are trying to sell their show with, people should go away from watching a trailer thinking "This looks freaking amazing!!"

Oh it’s from an officially released trailer?
Okay that does change things. Yeah if this is official footage then I have to agree with your assessment. Hopefully things can improve but yeah that does look rather cheap

I don't buy that, people working at film sets or tv in general, during covid were getting tested constantly, it obviously makes it more complicated, but a lot of these locations are on greenscreen and studios. They are building a studio in England I think it is, which might use a lot of the money. But still all the clothing etc. are calculated into the budget or at least it should be. And besides that, if they for instance thought that it was to expensive to make a whole scale mail, why not simply give her a white or purple shirt instead? I mean no one is going to buy t-shirt printing service in Lord of the rings :D
Lol.
I suppose so
COVID has and continues to impact a lot of filming. Even now. It’s not insurmountable by any means but if it’s a production that involves multiple countries, it can make things a little more complicated than necessary. Like travelling will often require quarantine times depending on the country and how they’re dealing with that. But yeah I suppose they can rely on green screen and other “tricks of the trade.”

But this happens with everything, that is why these things are even a success in the first place. Whether its Star wars, Alien or Lord of the rings. Because there is not exactly a lot of these massive successful things, meaning its not everyday a new Lord of the Rings or Star wars are created, so when these things are finally done, people get excited.

Oh I understand the excitement, believe me. I’m a nerd through and through lol
I have picked apart all my fave properties far more than necessary lol
Probably have several thesis length papers on my thoughts on like Harry Potter and Stargate SG1 and indeed The Lord of the Rings :D
Pick everything apart, my friend. It’s part of the fun

And given how easily destroyed these things are, again look at Star wars, which to me at least, is completely dead. The only reason I care to watch it, is to see how badly Disney can ruin it now. The canon for Star wars for me, is the original movies and the ones that Georg Lucas made, despite them not being very good. All the Disney stuff is just adaptation of Star wars, nothing more.

I’ve never been huge on Star Wars, truth be told. I like it, don’t get me wrong. Just was never a super fan. And I think the property has been largely exhausted.
In all honesty I probably agree with you on the Disney adaptions
(Though I do still love Baby Yoda!)

Now, I don't think the Ring of Power can destroy Lord of the rings, because its such a long time before the books, but it can become very silly.

Yeah. That’s true
But the same can be said of a lot of fantasy properties.
They do have a little hint of silliness to them, let’s be honest.
Including the Jackson adaptions, honestly.

Same, Im not writing them off just because of this, but it does remove yet some more points :D
Fair enough :)

Nimos

Cheap? It has the best dragons I've ever seen on screen. They don't have the charm or appeal of Draco from DragonHeart, but when Danny uses Drogon to intimidate people it is a very intimidating looking dragon. The fire swords were also brilliant effects, and pretty cool that they brought to screen a common high fantasy enchantment and made it look great. The Mountain, standing in his King's Guard armor, again is very intimidating. And Wildfire they did extremely well with, capturing the fiery green brilliance of it to make it look like the terrifyingly beautiful weapon deserving of it's nickname of the Jade Demon.
I think you missed a word from what I was writing :D

"Yet, I personally never watched it and thought that it looked cheap."

Game of thrones is very well made, even the last seasons, it is not the effects that's the issue, but because some other writers took over and didn't have the skills required.

The issue is, again another concern:

This weekend, Amazon revealed the writers they hired to create their Lord of the Rings streaming series. Viewers still have not seen any credited work by JD Payne and Patrick McKay, so a lot of fans are still wondering just who are these guys who are going to take us back to Middle Earth?

Hopefully they will do good, but I do think it does raise a lot of warnings. Furthermore:
Filmmaker J.J. Abrams helped The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power showrunners Patrick McKay and JD Payne land their head creative roles in the upcoming fantasy series.

Speaking to Vanity Fair about how they acquired their Rings of Power gig, McKay and Payne gave tremendous credit to their previous collaborator, Abrams, whom they worked with on the Star Trek movie. "We were a little bit of a dark horse," McKay stated. "And Amazon talked to absolutely everybody -- whoever had any idea for Lord of the Rings." When Abrams heard Amazon Studios was seeking showrunner candidates for its highly anticipated Lord of the Rings prequel series, the Lost creator reached out to suggest McKay and Payne for the highly coveted creative position.

Now, im personally not a huge fan of Abrams work as he has played a huge part in ruining some of the franchises I like. So to me, that doesn't exactly give any credibility to these people. But again, hopefully they are better than he is :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Filmmaker J.J. Abrams helped The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power showrunners Patrick McKay and JD Payne land their head creative roles in the upcoming fantasy series.
That has me worried because Jar Jar Abrams has slaughtered and butchered everything he's touched. ESPECIALLY Star Trek.

Nimos

Lol.
I suppose so
COVID has and continues to impact a lot of filming. Even now. It’s not insurmountable by any means but if it’s a production that involves multiple countries, it can make things a little more complicated than necessary. Like travelling will often require quarantine times depending on the country and how they’re dealing with that. But yeah I suppose they can rely on green screen and other “tricks of the trade.”
I mean they have to, a lot of these locations doesn't exist but can obviously build some of them and most likely will. But some of them they simply can't. And again its not necessarily bad, but a lot of care need to be put into making things look good and believable and most the stuff I have seen at least, looks good. But then again, in a trailer where the scene changes every 2 second you don't really get the correct impression.

Oh I understand the excitement, believe me. I’m a nerd through and through lol
I have picked apart all my fave properties far more than necessary lol
Probably have several thesis length papers on my thoughts on like Harry Potter and Stargate SG1 and indeed The Lord of the Rings :D
Pick everything apart, my friend. It’s part of the fun
I like the lore and the stories and fantasy in general, but im probably an average person when it comes to these things. But I do have an interest in movies and stuff like that. But im not a person that knows every little thing about any of this, but I do like watching stuff, made by people that do. If that makes sense? So my interest is probably above average, but far from what I would call a nerd knowledge :D

I’ve never been huge on Star Wars, truth be told. I like it, don’t get me wrong. Just was never a super fan. And I think the property has been largely exhausted.
In all honesty I probably agree with you on the Disney adaptions
(Though I do still love Baby Yoda!)
Me neither, I did, again like it as a sci fi movie, because I like fantasy and sci fi, I thought it had a lot of cool things in it, all the aliens, space battles, the force was cool etc. But when these things are ruined, like the force in Disney is just magic now, there are no limits to what people can do, and they can do it when its convenient for the plot and not when it isn't. I don't like that, because despite being sci fi or fantasy, there still need to be rules.

For instance when you make it so people can suddenly heal each other, or raise people from dead or something like that. It hugely impact the story, rather than just looking cool, because imagine how insanely it would change the world, if people could suddenly heal just by putting their hand on a wound. And to me, all these things need to be explained or I lose interest. And Star wars with Disney have just thrown around these powers like there is no tomorrow, so nothing makes sense anymore and the result is, that all the characters capable of using the force looks like complete idiots, because they "can't" use it as it would ruin the story, despite it being the obvious choice.

Yeah. That’s true
But the same can be said of a lot of fantasy properties.
They do have a little hint of silliness to them, let’s be honest.
Including the Jackson adaptions, honestly.
Sure they have, it is fantasy with trolls and orcs etc. But I don't understand people (Not aimed at you :)) that thinks its perfectly fine that whenever something is fantasy or sci fi, then its fine that it is silly and doesn't really make sense. Again, such worlds still need to be believable and make sense despite the magic or whatever in them.

Just think about, if you have seen it? that light jump that is done in the second Disney movie that destroy the big ship? It seems like a very minor thing, but that single thing, pretty much ruins the original movies, because nothing they do or plan etc. in those movies make any sense anymore. You light speed anything larger than a football into the death star and it is completely destroyed, which is why it is established in the OT that it is not possible to do.

And that is sort of my fear with Rings of Power as well, that they start doing stuff, which end up ruining Lord of the Rings, because they don't know why something is as it is, or they might not care about it, because they think its cool and its fantasy anyway, so who cares?