• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerning? Ring of Power

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, comedy has its own rules and I do enjoy movies like Space balls making fun of Star wars etc.

Not that its a movie, but its creative :D
Lol okay that’s funny. Haha!

And its not because I have anything against these horror/slasher movies, they are not my kind of movies, because I think they are boring, but they also don't really try to sell themselves as anything with deep characters and plot lines etc. And some enjoy them, which is fine.
Honestly I enjoy them because they’re dumb lol.
But that’s why I specifically like Scary Movie and Scream, because the creators were basically just like, geez how dumb is this genre, guys?
At the time it was refreshing but sadly very overplayed now.

The problem with the Ring of Power in my opinion, again just speculations and based on what other stuff we have seen happening with other franchises, is that one could be scared of Amazon wanting to change Tolkien's work, so what we get is nothing like LOTR, by merely a modern diversity series loosely based on his work, so we are getting lots of new characters, of all races, all sexualities not because it makes sense for the story, but because that is how you make movies today. Modern movies HAS to represent all minorities, races and sexes at least somewhat equally, so they can check off all the checkboxes.

Whilst I can agree that that can be rather cringe, it’s sort of a double edged sword. All movies, tv shows and books will have checklists of what a publisher/distributor will want. Because it sells. That’s just what capitalism does to art.
So called “virtue signalling” I guess is a part of that sure. Not really a new thing, but yeah I agree its often eye roll worthy
A company boasting on how modern and with the times they are. Yeah whatevers lol

Though this actually backfires mostly onto creators that legitimately do want to organically incorporate such messaging into their works. Which depends more on their skill level, honestly.
Making them look like attention seekers.
Which is why I’m a little on the fence on this point. Because on the one hand I do agree, mostly. But on the other I know that such an attitude can negatively affect creators. Also it is just a consequence of capitalism, like I said. Diversity is “trendy” for better or worse. So I’d expect at least some working on any project going forward might be tempted to lean into that. A given, so to speak.
And sometimes that actually can be a welcome change of pace. Offering a different perspective can actually help with the longevity of a story.
For instance the movie 10 Things I Hate About You. The movie is rather satirical and even downright critical of it’s source material (The Taming of the Shrew by Shakespeare.)
But it succeeds largely because it tries to examine the source material through a much more modern lens. Or at least what was considered modern at the time.
I’m skeptical of how well received it would be if it were to be released today. I can easily see accusations of it being “woke” and just a movie requiring “diversity checklists.”
That’s not to say I disagree with you or you concerns. In fact I share many of them.
Just saying that there is nuance to be found here and I think agreement across boarders can be reached. But that’s another discussion entirely and I’ve already rambled on for far too long lol

This is how you make a woman look strong today:
View attachment 64742

Its not by value woman strength, its by making them more like men. And if I were a woman, I would find it highly offensive, because none of this in my opinion is aimed at showing how women are strong. Giving her an armor, a big sword and make her sit like you would expect a man to sit for logical reasons, is simply offensive I think, when there are so many other ways you can make women appear strong without having to "destroy" their gender. And I don't get why women would buy into such rubbish and not speak out against it is strange to me.

Ehhh. They kind of did that with Eowyn in the Peter Jackson films, to be fair. I do vaguely recall her dressed up in men’s armour being one of the ads for the films at the time.
Granted the movie showed her as a strong independent woman, complete with natural femininity if you like. But she does literally pretend to be a man throughout much of Return of the King. And the script does make various obvious nods towards her strong independent femaleness in various places throughout the trilogy.
Apparently Arwen was also supposed to be in one of the big battles, I think Helm’s Deep. There’s even stills of the scenes they filmed, but they cut it out for some reason. Would have been cool to see, but alas.

If you take a show like Vikings, with Agatha

317e0f5c351783b9026f007c4ecaf36bff82afe2.pnj

She is both a leader and a warrior, but she is not depicted as a "man", but rather a strong, intelligent women. Anyway, I think all this diversity has gotten completely out of control in modern day movies.
Oh Vikings is awesome!!

Last edited:

Nimos

Ehhh. They kind of did that with Eowyn in the Peter Jackson films, to be fair. I do vaguely recall her dressed up in men’s armour being one of the ads for the films at the time.
Granted the movie showed her as a strong independent woman, complete with natural femininity if you like. But she does literally pretend to be a man throughout much of Return of the King. And the script does make various obvious nods towards her strong independent femaleness in various places throughout the trilogy.
Apparently Arwen was also supposed to be in one of the big battles, I think Helm’s Deep. There’s even stills of the scenes they filmed, but they cut it out for some reason. Would have been cool to see, but alas.
I actually think Tolkien wrote Eowyn like that, it weren't something Peter Jackson added.

Its a long time since I read the books, so had to Wiki it. But this is taken from the actual book:

I am weary of skulking in halls, and wish to face peril and battle. … am I not of the House of Eorl, a shieldmaiden … may I not now spend my life as I will? … All your words are but to say: you are a woman and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death. …[I fear] A cage, To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.

Éowyn disguises herself as a man and, under the alias of Dernhelm (from Old English dern meaning "secret, concealed"), travels with the Riders of Rohan to the battle outside Minas Tirith in Gondor on her horse Windfola, carrying with her the hobbit Merry Brandybuck, who had also been ordered to remain behind.

In the battle of the Pelennor Fields, she confronts the Witch-King of Angmar, Lord of the Nazgûl, after Théoden is mortally injured. The Witch-King threatens that he will "bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye". He boasts "No living man may hinder me", whereupon Éowyn removes her helmet and declares:

But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

So Peter Jackson didn't make her into it, to please some people, she were in fact like that.

Which is why I’m a little on the fence on this point. Because on the one hand I do agree, mostly. But on the other I know that such an attitude can negatively affect creators.
It might, I do think it comes with a huge "depends". Because if you look at Game of thrones, you have all kinds of people here, you even have brother/sister relationships etc. And you have people of all colors, but the difference is, that it makes sense here, because he wrote it like that, I mean I liked the unsullied, which were all of dark skin color, because of the place they came from, so it made sense. You had lots of people with different sexual preferences, you had the advisor Varys. Again a really cool character until they ruined him in the end as with most of the characters. But I don't think he originally wrote all these types of people and characters in there just to check off some check boxes. And to me that is the difference between making a story where it have been added because of whatever reason. Rather than just adding them because they need to be there. If you have seen Solo the Star wars disaster, you had Lando which were a cool character in the original, but after Disney got their hands on him and ruined him like all the others, he is now a person which apparently is so pansexual that he is even "sexual" attracted to robots!! I mean what the hell? Fair enough if this is an important story to tell in a movie, then make a movie about it, but freaking Star wars?
I don't know anyone that enjoy Star wars, that ever thought that it was missing a romantic relationship between a human and a robot. And again, to me it seems like the writers either thought it was fun or they wanted to check yet another checkbox. Because this goes absolutely no where and has no connection to anything else Lando does as a character throughout the whole series, its never even remotely brought up as something relevant for anything.

And diversity is absolutely fine, but it still need to make sense in relationship to the rest of the story. And given that Disney almost releases a new Star wars movie or TV show every two week, they didn't have to ruin an original character, then make a new story where the main character is pansexual and it has some meaning in the story, no problem.

This is what I fear about the Ring of Power, that they are going to screw up things with random stuff, because they have to check a box, not because it improves on the Universe.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I actually think Tolkien wrote Eowyn like that, it weren't something Peter Jackson added.

Its a long time since I read the books, so had to Wiki it. But this is taken from the actual book:

I am weary of skulking in halls, and wish to face peril and battle. … am I not of the House of Eorl, a shieldmaiden … may I not now spend my life as I will? … All your words are but to say: you are a woman and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death. …[I fear] A cage, To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.

Éowyn disguises herself as a man and, under the alias of Dernhelm (from Old English dern meaning "secret, concealed"), travels with the Riders of Rohan to the battle outside Minas Tirith in Gondor on her horse Windfola, carrying with her the hobbit Merry Brandybuck, who had also been ordered to remain behind.

In the battle of the Pelennor Fields, she confronts the Witch-King of Angmar, Lord of the Nazgûl, after Théoden is mortally injured. The Witch-King threatens that he will "bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye". He boasts "No living man may hinder me", whereupon Éowyn removes her helmet and declares:

But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

So Peter Jackson didn't make her into it, to please some people, she were in fact like that.
She was still a heavily masculine presence within the original movies. Indeed she was intentionally made to be traditionally masculine in order to win over the original audience.
Something which you accuse the current production team of doing based on nothing but promotional photos which may or may not be accurate to the actual production overall.
Come on now. I expect better from you ;);)

Indeed don’t forget that the fraternal bond shown between Frodo and Sam comes directly from Tolkien’s own experiences from the trenches of WWI. And being an Australian I can attest to this. Such a bond is the backbone of our national heritage, so I grew up reading and dissecting poems/stories based on exactly this sentiment. I have spent my entire life dissecting such art.
But if that depiction were released today, you better believe it would be accused of being “woke garbage.”
Tenderness and fraternal affection being displayed out in full of two unrelated males? Come on now! It would be absolutely be accused of being “woke.”

Yes Tolkien wrote it that way, but he wrote I. The 1930s
Someone, including Peter Jackson can indeed extrapolate from the original material and come to the same conclusion.
Agreed wholeheartedly.
But Jackson’s interpretation would be considered “woke” by today’s standards all the same. No way would such a tender affectionate display of such a relationship between two unrelated males be considered anything but “woke”
(Frodo and Sam.)
Come on now.
It might, I do think it comes with a huge "depends". Because if you look at Game of thrones, you have all kinds of people here, you even have brother/sister relationships etc. And you have people of all colors, but the difference is, that it makes sense here, because he wrote it like that, I mean I liked the unsullied, which were all of dark skin color, because of the place they came from, so it made sense. You had lots of people with different sexual preferences, you had the advisor Varys. Again a really cool character until they ruined him in the end as with most of the characters. But I don't think he originally wrote all these types of people and characters in there just to check off some check boxes. And to me that is the difference between making a story where it have been added because of whatever reason. Rather than just adding them because they need to be there. If you have seen Solo the Star wars disaster, you had Lando which were a cool character in the original, but after Disney got their hands on him and ruined him like all the others, he is now a person which apparently is so pansexual that he is even "sexual" attracted to robots!! I mean what the hell? Fair enough if this is an important story to tell in a movie, then make a movie about it, but freaking Star wars?
I don't know anyone that enjoy Star wars, that ever thought that it was missing a romantic relationship between a human and a robot. And again, to me it seems like the writers either thought it was fun or they wanted to check yet another checkbox. Because this goes absolutely no where and has no connection to anything else Lando does as a character throughout the whole series, its never even remotely brought up as something relevant for anything.

And diversity is absolutely fine in general
, but it does still need to make sense in the overall lore in relation to the rest of the story. So I agree.
But Amazon is a conglomerate. Don’t get me wrong I have nothing against Amazon. But it’s been a long time since I expected actual artistic integrity from them.
Not great but these consolidations, if you like, are kind of expected in today’s current climate. I assume Amazon still operates under the capitalist model, yeah?

This is what I fear about the Ring of Power, that they are going to screw up things with random stuff, because they have to check a box, not because it improves on the Universe.
To be fair Game of Thrones is largely a satire of Lord of the Rings from the getgo.
In the Rings, Tolkien focuses mainly on the honour and valour of men. Specifically that which is found in The Third Age of Men in the books.
Even emphasising the concept of honour and indeed cherishing it. Something which we aspire to.
Game of Thrones is more so critiquing that perspective specifically and calling out those who would use it as a shield for their dreadful deeds. Which is real life, let’s be real

Remember Tolkien was drawing on his experiences during WWI. His upbringing and notions of honour and masculinity would be an inherently shaping force in his writings. For better or worse
Martin meanwhile was drawing upon figures such as Tolkien but would be inherently critical of his findings. Trying to find the actual truth, as it were
The writings, no matter how bleak would reflect actual reality rather than high fantasy

Last edited:

Nimos

She was still a heavily masculine presence within the original movies. Indeed she was intentionally made to be traditionally masculine in order to win over the original audience.
Something which you accuse the current production team of doing based on nothing but promotional photos which may or may not be accurate to the actual production overall.
Come on now. I expect better from you
I don't really think, I agree. Sure, she is more masculine than Arwen is, but then again, she is also suppose to be a warrior. If you compare her to Brienne in Game of thrones.

Brienne_of_Tarth-Gwendoline_Christie.jpg
4cec24a79a58d7609549d6719a99d4c6.jpg

Obviously there is a reason for why Brienne looks as she does, so there is nothing wrong with her look. But Eowyn is wearing a male armor as a disguise, but I don't think she appears masculine anymore than you would expect. Its like a man wearing a woman's dress, the dress will obviously have an effect on his appearance as well. She may be more direct that Arwen is etc. but then again, I think there is a good explanation for why she behaves that way, she is not interested in just sitting at home, so she has to be a somewhat strong character.

But they could easily have given her a male hair cut, made her a well build women etc. if they really wanted to make her look more masculine.

If you look at her and Arwen, she is not a "well" build women, she is fairly small and thin.

a08d37c72faba038a5ff6f46c1707869.jpg

So im not really sure, what Peter Jackson could have done differently? What would you have suggested, if you should have stayed true to what Tolkien wrote, that she should have been in a male armor?

Someone, including Peter Jackson can indeed extrapolate from the original material and come to the same conclusion.
Agreed wholeheartedly.
But Jackson’s interpretation would be considered “woke” by today’s standards all the same. No way would such a tender affectionate display of such a relationship between two unrelated males be considered anything but “woke”
(Frodo and Sam.)
Come on now.
Im not really sure what you mean by "woke"? what is that?

And diversity is absolutely fine in general, but it does still need to make sense in the overall lore in relation to the rest of the story. So I agree.
But Amazon is a conglomerate. Don’t get me wrong I have nothing against Amazon. But it’s been a long time since I expected actual artistic integrity from them.
Not great but these consolidations, if you like, are kind of expected in today’s current climate. I assume Amazon still operates under the capitalist model, yeah?
Yeah, they are in it for the money. If you throw 1 billion dollars after something, you don't do it for fun :D And the owner of Amazon also said that it should be their Game of thrones and I would also guess that they would very much like to have it turn into a Star wars thing, where they can sell people all kinds of crap.

To be fair Game of Thrones is largely a satire of Lord of the Rings from the getgo.
In the Rings, Tolkien focuses mainly on the honour and valour of men. Specifically that which is found in The Third Age of Men in the books.
Even emphasising the concept of honour and indeed cherishing it. Something which we aspire to.
Game of Thrones is more so critiquing that perspective specifically and calling out those who would use it as a shield for their dreadful deeds. Which is real life, let’s be real

Remember Tolkien was drawing on his experiences during WWI. His upbringing and notions of honour and masculinity would be an inherently shaping force in his writings. For better or worse
Martin meanwhile was drawing upon figures such as Tolkien but would be inherently critical of his findings. Trying to find the actual truth, as it were
The writings, no matter how bleak would reflect actual reality rather than high fantasy
Sure, I mean. I don't really mind what motivation is behind a story or whether the writers gets inspired from each other, I don't think it takes away anything from either Game of thrones or Lord of the rings. Obviously each author has their own idea about what message or story they want to tell. Tolkien drew from a lot of things, he wanted to create a mythology for England based on other cultures, because they don't really have any, from what I understand. He was also a very devouted catholic, which undoubtedly also played a huge role on his work.

Nimos

She was still a heavily masculine prese
Completely unrelated :D

Just saw they released a new trailer for the new Game of thrones. They release almost at the same time, will be interesting to see, one will fail and one succeed or if people can like both of them :D I do think it looks somewhat interesting to be honest.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
He added, “It was like Tolkien put some stars in the sky and let us make out the constellations.
This one has been bothering me. Probably more than it should, but I'm a nerd and this stuff is of significant importance to do it right. And I refute with the fact astrology and constellations aren't a part of the lores or practices of Men, Dwarves, Hobbits, Elvs or anyone else it seems. He created this highly sophisticated and elaborate cultures, down to religions, creation myths, the migrations of peoples, even a language. Out of all the means of divination, every way they scribe, and everything Tolkien laid out and they want to use as an analogy to describe their creative liberties against something that is extremely vague and open to interpretation?
And, ultimately, we could have had a Beatles Lord of the Rings but Tolkien said no because he no confidence in their ability to stay true to it.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't really think, I agree. Sure, she is more masculine than Arwen is, but then again, she is also suppose to be a warrior. If you compare her to Brienne in Game of thrones.

Brienne_of_Tarth-Gwendoline_Christie.jpg
View attachment 64752
Obviously there is a reason for why Brienne looks as she does, so there is nothing wrong with her look. But Eowyn is wearing a male armor as a disguise, but I don't think she appears masculine anymore than you would expect. Its like a man wearing a woman's dress, the dress will obviously have an effect on his appearance as well. She may be more direct that Arwen is etc. but then again, I think there is a good explanation for why she behaves that way, she is not interested in just sitting at home, so she has to be a somewhat strong character.

But they could easily have given her a male hair cut, made her a well build women etc. if they really wanted to make her look more masculine.

If you look at her and Arwen, she is not a "well" build women, she is fairly small and thin..
But they both fight in major battles. Eowyn wins because of the prophecy (no man can kill the Witch King.) Indeed she would have done little better than Arwen, if we’re going by body sizes. Though one can also make the case that since Arwin is an Elf she would have kicked the Orcs and the Uruk-hai back to Mordor. And since Eowyn is the daughter of kings she would have possessed fighting prowess and technique.
Indeed there is a difference between the presentation of a female pretending to be a man and a female who is just naturally more masculine by nature. Eowyn vs Brienne
Again you seemed to be going strictly by promotional photos only. If I misunderstood you then I do sincerely apologise
But that’s what I responded to. Eowyn was used in the same manner in the promotional material, iirc
Indeed I saw this very same complaint based solely on the photos of the women in The Vikings when that was first released

“Oh they’re making the women men!! Oh such a travesty for females.”

Indeed Brienne’s story arc in Thrones is her literally not fitting into what her society deems as “feminine” therefore making her feel like less of a woman. As a woman who likes traditionally masculine things, I can say I greatly identify with her particular struggle.
Especially her struggle in the show which actually routinely mocked her for liking traditionally feminine things. (Though ultimately sided with her all the same.)
You say you would be insulted by the Amazon representation of females in this upcoming show if you were a woman?
I actually am a woman and I strongly identify with Brienne and Eowyn’s struggle specifically. So I might respond very positively to this representation. I honestly don’t know.
Either way it makes me proud to see such non traditional female roles in mainstream stories such as this
And indeed the lack of empathy I see from my fellow male fans for their struggles makes me sad (not speaking of you specifically. I’m speaking in general.)
I happen to like many things that are traditionally considered masculine exploits in popular culture. Including Lord of the Rings, as it were.
So no, I champion any portrayal that makes the feminine into masculine. If that’s what it takes for you guys to take us seriously as people. I will take what I can get.
Sorry. I but abhor such boundaries.

View attachment 64753

So im not really sure, what Peter Jackson could have done differently? What would you have suggested, if you should have stayed true to what Tolkien wrote, that she should have been in a male armor?.
Well I honestly don’t know much about this upcoming show. You seemed to be complaining about the photoshoot involving a female wearing male armour specifically. I sincerely apologise if I misrepresented you. That was not at all my intention
That’s what the Jackson’s films did back in the day as well. Surely that’s only a promotional piece for the series and perhaps not an accurate reflection of the storyline. It’s just an ad, right?

Im not really sure what you mean by "woke"? what is that?.

Remain in blissful ignorance my friend. It’s better for your state of mind. Trust me on this

Yeah, they are in it for the money. If you throw 1 billion dollars after something, you don't do it for fun :D And the owner of Amazon also said that it should be their Game of thrones and I would also guess that they would very much like to have it turn into a Star wars thing, where they can sell people all kinds of crap.
Lol okay that’s true lmao!!
Sure, I mean. I don't really mind what motivation is behind a story or whether the writers gets inspired from each other, I don't think it takes away anything from either Game of thrones or Lord of the rings. Obviously each author has their own idea about what message or story they want to tell. Tolkien drew from a lot of things, he wanted to create a mythology for England based on other cultures, because they don't really have any, from what I understand. He was also a very devouted catholic, which undoubtedly also played a huge role on his work.
Fair enough
I understand your concerns.
Hopefully the show will exceed expectations.
If not, well I’ll happily join in your complaints.:):D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Indeed don’t forget that the fraternal bond shown between Frodo and Sam comes directly from Tolkien’s own experiences from the trenches of WWI.
I have to say it, but I've always thought the friendship and bond between Merry and Pippin strongly over shadows the friendship between Frodo and Sam. In the same situation I think they would have thrown Gollum off the cliff when he tried to sabotage things between Sam and Frodo. Merry and Pippin I really don't think would be able to live without each other.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But they both fight in major battles. Eowyn wins because of the prophecy (no man can kill the Witch King.)
I always thought that was pretty cheap. Out of all the things she could have said and done, her words sounded more like something we'd hear in a Tarantino flick.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I always thought that was pretty cheap. Out of all the things she could have said and done, her words sounded more like something we'd hear in a Tarantino flick.
Yeah I can agree with that, honestly. But it’s such a cool scene that I often let it slide lol
I do prefer the extended edition for that particular scene though
Not only did it show her hardship and struggle but had her final honourable farewell to her father. Which I thought was very nicely done
Not to mention her brother’s anguish
(Seriously Karl Urban’s scream in that scene was pure gold. Such an underrated actor, imo.)

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I have to say it, but I've always thought the friendship and bond between Merry and Pippin strongly over shadows the friendship between Frodo and Sam. But in the same situation, I think they would have thrown Gollum off the cliff when he tried to sabotage things between Sam and Frodo. Merry and Pippin, on the other hand, I really don't think would be able to live without each other.
Omg yes. Someone agrees with me!!
I love Frodo and Sam, don’t get me wrong. But Pippin and Merry are friendship goals!!

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member

Just saw they released a new trailer for the new Game of thrones. They release almost at the same time, will be interesting to see, one will fail and one succeed or if people can like both of them :D I do think it looks somewhat interesting to be honest.

Mate, I’m down lol

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

My chief complaints are one is the Iron Throne does not look the like the Iron Throne, let alone looking capable of giving the Mad King another nickname of the Scabbed King.
Two is the Targaryn eyes aren't purple. Though I understand this to be due to them not being able to make it look good on screen. Which does make me curious, because the blue eye effect for the vampires in Underworld till looks awesome 20 years later.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I do prefer the extended edition for that particular scene though
Only time I've seen the regular editions was in theaters, so I'm not too keen on the differences between the two.
I do know one irritating similarity between Bluray and DVD is both are two disks long.:mad:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Only time I've seen the regular editions was in theaters, so I'm not too keen on the differences between the two.
I do know one irritating similarity between Bluray and DVD is both are two disks long.:mad:
Lol since I only possess a PlayStation 4 fairly recently (in this case years before my actual childhood) I could only ever watch the extended editions on said PS and grew up with the theatrical editions, mostly. I can honestly say I appreciate what the extended editions offer
That said I have dvds of the extended versions now and they’ve only ever been one disc.
Like wow. I assumed The US were far beyond our technology

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Lol since I only possess a PlayStation 4 fairly recently (in this case years before my actual childhood) I could only ever watch the extended editions on said PS and grew up with the theatrical editions, mostly. I can honestly say I appreciate what the extended editions offer
One scene I do definitely remember that is in the extended edition of Return of the King is the drinking contest between Gimli and Legolas. And that's because I still gets a good laugh out of me.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
One scene I do definitely remember that is in the extended edition of Return of the King is the drinking contest between Gimli and Legolas. And that's because I still gets a good laugh out of me.
That scene (if I’m thinking of the same one) is awesome!!!!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Speaking of Legolas and Gimli I also thought their friendship was much better than Frodo and Sam's. They're two basically naturally bitter enemies but they forged a very deep friendship clad in iron on the battlefield, which I argue is one of the few ways two of those species can become friends.