• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerning? Ring of Power

Nimos

I like Lord of the Rings and hope that Ring of Power will live up to the expectations, but given how many things are being ruined by modern adaptations, im really concerned that we will get yet another dumpster fire of a show.

What concerns me is despite the billion dollar budget it has, some of the stuff we have seen, seem extremely poor and my concern is that to little effort or to many shortcuts have been put into this show, that it will give it a vibe of being cheap and mixed with them potentially molding the lore to what they like, rather than staying true to the source material, im getting even more concerned.

This is from the production, looking at the printed scale mail, she is wearing underneath the real one. This one comes off very cheap in my opinion, as we can assume that she is one of the main characters.

Lotr_1.jpg

Now take into account that this series are suppose to have a budget of around 100-150 million dollars per season, adding up to around 1 billion dollars. Now Lord of the rings the whole trilogy had a budget of 281 million dollars and this is how they created the mails for the characters in that.

This is another image from the trailer, where you can see her mail armor blow in the wind as being made of cloth or some other non metal material obviously. Again, to me that is very concerning.

Lotr_2.jpg

I tried watching the Wheel of time, but I simply couldn't get through it because it gave off a cheap vibe as well. Hopefully this won't matter, but have to admit that I don't have much hope, seeing how they manage to butcher pretty much everything they try to make in a lot of these adaptations.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Yes, but nothing that ruins the original story, you don't watch the movies and then read the book and think this is something completely different.

I'm not so sure about that. Did you know that the trilogy's Sauron was a different character in the books? The Sauron referred to in the books, had a different depiction. And they merged him with another Lord of the Rings character, giving him the appearance of that different character. And many scenes and characters were cut, including Saruman taking over the Shire.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I like Lord of the Rings and hope that Ring of Power will live up to the expectations, but given how many things are being ruined by modern adaptations, im really concerned that we will get yet another dumpster fire of a show.

What concerns me is despite the billion dollar budget it has, some of the stuff we have seen, seem extremely poor and my concern is that to little effort or to many shortcuts have been put into this show, that it will give it a vibe of being cheap and mixed with them potentially molding the lore to what they like, rather than staying true to the source material, im getting even more concerned.

This is from the production, looking at the printed scale mail, she is wearing underneath the real one. This one comes off very cheap in my opinion, as we can assume that she is one of the main characters.

View attachment 64723
Now take into account that this series are suppose to have a budget of around 100-150 million dollars per season, adding up to around 1 billion dollars. Now Lord of the rings the whole trilogy had a budget of 281 million dollars and this is how they created the mails for the characters in that.

This is another image from the trailer, where you can see her mail armor blow in the wind as being made of cloth or some other non metal material obviously. Again, to me that is very concerning.

View attachment 64724

I tried watching the Wheel of time, but I simply couldn't get through it because it gave off a cheap vibe as well. Hopefully this won't matter, but have to admit that I don't have much hope, seeing how they manage to butcher pretty much everything they try to make in a lot of these adaptations.
Mithril is as hard as dragon scale and as light as a feather.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm not so sure about that. Did you know that the trilogy's Sauron was a different character in the books? The Sauron referred to in the books, had a different depiction. And they merged him with another Lord of the Rings character, giving him the appearance of that different character. And many scenes and characters were cut, including Saruman taking over the Shire.
Jackson also leaned WAY more towards pipe weed being like cannabis than tobacco.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes, but nothing that ruins the original story, you don't watch the movies and then read the book and think this is something completely different.
I did. While Peter Jackson did dig deep into the extras that are tucked away in the indexes and glossaries and other annals, he did cut a lot, added a lot, changed a lot, and he did cut a large book trilogy into three longish movies (that could have been much longer) and drew out a much shorter book into three movies with tons of stuff not in the original source.

Nimos

Sure, but again it doesn't change the overall story and them not adding the last part, I think is fine, its not crucial for the overall story and they had to end and remove some stuff from the movies or each episode would be 5 hours long. :)

Again, if one have read the book and watch the movie, you will noticed things being slightly different, but besides how Peter Jackson decided to portrait Gimli and Legolas, I think its very well made.

But some of the things from Ring of Power, seem to change characteristic and introduce new races etc. simply because the creators wanted it or you can't make anything today without an overpowered female lead, weak and stupid males and diversity on all cylinders because otherwise someone will be offended. And that is not good for the source material in my opinion, because Tolkiens world is not suppose to reflect ours, its a fantasy world with its own rules.

Nimos

I'm more forgiving than the OP concerns. I want a compelling story, really good actors and great scenes/effects.
Same here, as I said I hope they deliver, but stuff like that does concern me. Because, if they are willing to slack on what might be one of the central character, one can only imagine what else they would slack on.

Obviously it is just speculation, but if there is to many of these things in a show, it just starts to look cheap, because you will notice it and it ruins the illusion that this world is believable. At least it does for me, and that was one of the issues I had with wheel of time, the people didn't look like they actually lived in such world, but rather that they were actors dressed up. For me, that is a death sentence for a movie or a tv show, if I don't by the world they are trying to sell me, I don't care about it. Because it will automatically hurt their acting as well and everything else in it.

Its basically the same thing that happened with me and Star wars, after Disney took over, I just don't buy it anymore, despite the visual effects being good, the story and characters are so poorly written that, you simply don't believe that they would exist and do the things they do.

Nimos

Mithril is as hard as dragon scale and as light as a feather.
Sure, it might be mithril, However I doubt it given the state it is in all torn apart etc. And I don't think it matches what mithril is suppose to look like either, as it is silvery and very beautiful.

I don't get that impression from what she is wearing.

Nimos

I did. While Peter Jackson did dig deep into the extras that are tucked away in the indexes and glossaries and other annals, he did cut a lot, added a lot, changed a lot, and he did cut a large book trilogy into three longish movies (that could have been much longer) and drew out a much shorter book into three movies with tons of stuff not in the original source.
As I said to someone else, they have to tell a story. And certain parts of the books are not important, like the 100s of songs in it or how many there is etc. simply using a few is fine. One still have to remember that they also need to make an interesting movie. :)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Unfortunately time is always a concern in movies. A typical two hour long movie can only handle a short story or at most a novelette without taking quite a few liberties in cutting out parts of the plot.

When it comes to science fiction writers I think that the author that has had more of his works turned into film than any other is Philip K. Dick. But unless you are a science fiction reader that name would probably mean nothing to you. The only novel of his that I can remember being turned into a movie was Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. What a classic!

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I haven't seen it, yet; but I'm not concerned if it be a dumpster fire. Consider how bad the black & white version of The Scarlet Pimpernel is compared to the more recent color version. Did the black & white one ruin the story forever? No. Neither will Ring of Power destroy Tolkien's books or Peter Jackson's movies.

The comical Batman & Robin TV series only improved readership of the comics and led to the good and bad mixture of films following. If nothing else sometimes people like to hate movies or TV shows. They sometimes like to watch them together to laugh or to criticize. Its a thing.

I already have pointed out that I often watch the Critical Drinker's comments. He thinks this will be a dumpster fire and a big 'Woke' thing that hates fans and misunderstands the content of the work. Um, well that could be; but if so then over time people will notice that and compare it against Peter Jackson's movies and also against the books. It will be considered quaint and a window into the thinking of our time -- unless of course the old stuff is banned or censored; but that is a problem in and of itself. Having a completely different interpretation of Tolkien is fair game if that's what someone wants to do. They can do that. No problem. I'll probably see it eventually, too.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think Sauron's original depiction had him as a boyish, masculine looking redhead. Something like that.
At first he could change form, but at some point he lost this ability. I think at some point it says he became "A dark lord, tall and terrible..." That's in The Silmarillion I think, but its been over 30 years since I read most of it. I of course skipped things, because I'm no Steven Colbert. Who reads it front to back? That's just crazy.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
At first he could change form, but at some point he lost this ability. I think at some point it says he became "A dark lord, tall and terrible..." That's in The Silmarillion I think, but its been over 30 years since I read most of it. I of course skipped things, because I'm no Steven Colbert. Who reads it front to back? That's just crazy.
Who does that? Steven Colbert, lmao.