• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concept of Hindu Dharma (not religoin)

atheisthindu

SARBA DHARMA SAMBHABA
Nobody seems to have a clear concept about Hindu Religion. So I am trying to give you a concept about Hinduism. Ask me for more, correct me if I am wrong.

Hinduism is the oldest practicing religion, it also predates Judaism. Hinduism is at least 5000-10000 years old.

*Hinduism is world 3rd largest religion after Christianity and Islam.

To understand Hinduism first you should know Hindu is not a religion its a "Dharma"

Q & A
Q:What is dharma?
A: The word 'dharma' connotes "that which supports the universe" and effectively means any path of spiritual discipline which leads to God. It is derived from the Sanskrit root dhṛ, which means to uphold. Dharma points to the essential Truth which supports life as we know it. At the same time, it is also shows us the path of righteousness to reach the goal. For more detail ask me.

Q:What is Hindu Dharma?
A:The term Hindu was a misnomer used for the people who lived beyond the Sindhu River, and eventually the term Hinduism was coined to denote the Hindu residents of the Indian subcontinent. Hindu Dharma is actually 'Sanatan dharma' which evolved from the Vedic culture of ancient India.

Q:What is the aim of Hindu Dharma?
A:The aim of the Hindu dharma is Self realization (Ātmajnāna) by each individual (jīva): to seek the Truth, to know the Truth, to be the Truth, to be a liberated soul (jīvanamukta) here and now.

Q:What is the Hindu concept of God?
Before answering this question, it must be unequivocally clarified that for Hindus “God” is not a concept because a concept is a product of the intellect and God is beyond the limitations of the intellect. Having understood that, let us now try to understand who or what God is for the Hindus! From the absolute standpoint, God or the Supreme Being is beyond the plane of physical existence (transcendent), yet within it (immanent), simultaneously surpassing and pervading it.[if you want to know more,ask me]

Q: Hindus are polytheist or Monotheist ?
A: Hindus can be monotheist, polytheist , pantheist or atheist. A favorite Hindu saying "The Truth is One, but different sages call it by different names."
*An atheist who is working for the good of society will be sent to heaven*

Q:What is the Hindu code of Ethics ?
A:Hindus believe in a code of ethics based on 4 pillars of righteous living as defined in the holy book of Hindus "Bhagavad Gita".
Hindu way of righteous living: 1)"tapaḥ"[Austerity] 2)"shaucham"[Purity] 3)"daya"[Compassion] 4)"satyam"[Truthfulness]
*Hindus also believe in "karma"[law of cause and effect] and "ahimsa"[nonviolence]

Q:What is the “Hindu” way of life?
A:Hindus believe that life has a distinct purpose.
Objectives of Life : Dharma (righteous living) ; Artha (material prosperity) ; Kāma (enjoyment) ; Moksha (liberation)

Q:What is the status of women in the Hindu dharma?
A:One of the most profound attributes of Hinduism is the recognition and worship of the Divine as both masculine and feminine. The Supreme Being is beyond gender, but the manifestations are worshipped as both male and female. Many of the sages to whom the Vedas were revealed were women (rishikās). Some old vedic mathematicians were women.

Q:What are the main Hindu scriptures?
A:Hindu scriptures can be classified into several category.
The 4 main ones are shruti (that which is heard), smṛti (that which is remembered), itihasa (history), and puraṇa (the most ancient, yet ever-new).
Examples:
Shruti - 4 Vedas(covering various rituals, forms of worship, and the knowledge of the supreme Truth), Upanishad ( concluding portions of the Vedas) and Vedanta (The teaching based on Vedas and Upanishad)
Smritis - Smritis lay down the laws which regulate Hindu national, social, family and individual obligations. The most important smritis are the ones given by Manu, Yājnavalkya and Parāshara.
Itihasa - Sage Vālmiki’s Rāmāyaṇa and the Mahābhārata composed by Sage Vedavyāsa are the two main epics that are inspirational sagas of Hindus glorious history, and the most important "Bhagwad Gita" whichis a poetic masterpiece that is a sublime combination of the essence of Vedic philosophy and the art of living it in our daily lives.
Puranas -There are 18 main puranas. written by Sage Vedavyāsa. Their aim is to generate devotion to the Lord through concrete examples, lives o legendary saints, kings and great men, allegories and chronicles of great historical events.

Q:What is Hindus holy book?
A:Its "Bhagwad Gita", it describes the 'way of life' simply it is the answer of all questions one can face in life.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Ask me for more, correct me if I am wrong.

Welcome to this forum. There is nothing to correct, yet I'm not in total agreement. :)That's another greatness of Hinduism ... we allow for a wide variety of views, usually without much emotional disagreement.

Might I suggest you do some browsing on the Hinduism portion of this site, so that you don't repeat a whole lot that has already been said. There is already a lot of information available.

chinu

chinu
A:The aim of the Hindu dharma is Self realization (Ātmajnāna) by each individual (jīva): to seek the Truth, to know the Truth, to be the Truth, to be a liberated soul (jīvanamukta) here and now.
Just one simple question for you :)
Can you address me any such person in hinduism who has attained this "state of affair" (jīvanamukta) ? If you can't, than what's the use of following such a "Dharma" who doen't have one single person who has compleated the main aim of that dharma ?

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
Q:What is Hindus holy book?
A:Its "Bhagwad Gita", it describes the 'way of life' simply it is the answer of all questions one can face in life.

Only going to disagree with the last one here. The Bhagavad Gita has absolutely no relevance for me as a Hindu. It has been greatly touted in the last few centuries but there are plenty of sects within Hinduism who just shrug it off.

Vinayaka's for example.

I find the Devi Gita to be more holy, personally.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Can you address me any such person in hinduism who has attained this "state of affair" (jīvanamukta) ? If you can't, than what's the use of following such a "Dharma" who doen't have one single person who has compleated the main aim of that dharma ?

All hindu saints (sants) of the yore have been jeevan-muktas. In more modern times in the past 200 yrs, Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and Sri Ramalinga Adigalar have both been jeevan-mukthas.

chinu

chinu
All hindu saints (sants) of the yore have been jeevan-muktas. In more modern times in the past 200 yrs, Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and Sri Ramalinga Adigalar have both been jeevan-mukthas.
But, i want the one who is alive. :)
If you, or atheisthindu can't address me any such ALIVE person, than what's the use of following such a "Dharma" who doen't have one single person who has compleated the main aim of that dharma ?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
But, i want the one who is alive. :)
If you, or atheisthindu can't address me any such ALIVE person, than what's the use of following such a "Dharma" who doen't have one single person who has compleated the main aim of that dharma ?

Many followers of many Gurus believe their Guru is a jivanmukta. All you have to do is search 'living Hindu Gurus' on google. Of course, you can (and probably will) argue that none of them are Self-realised. :)

nameless

The Creator
many... only those follows dharma becomes jivanmukta, all others are just a waste of time. Ramakrishna, Ramana Maharshi, Sri Aurobindo etc were such jivan mukta people, if you want to see a alive person for you to believe in dharma, i request you to travel down to south india and i can show you :D .

chinu

chinu
Many followers of many Gurus believe their Guru is a jivanmukta. All you have to do is search 'living Hindu Gurus' on google. Of course, you can (and probably will) argue that none of them are Self-realised. :)
If very well people know that this topic is going to end on this argue, than why don't try to solve this matter first, rather than teaching the concept of hindu dharma ? or they just trying to fool innocent people ?

chinu

chinu
if you want to see a alive person for you to believe in dharma, i request you to travel down to south india and i can show you :D .
Nameless ji, preasently are you in india ? and can you give me the name and address of any such person ? :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If very well people know that this topic is going to end on this argue, than why don't try to solve this matter first, rather than teaching the concept of hindu dharma ? or they just trying to fool innocent people ?

I have no argument. I believe there are living jivanmuktas. You don't. What's to argue. You are welcome to believe anything you want to.

chinu

chinu
I have no argument. I believe there are living jivanmuktas. You don't. What's to argue. You are welcome to believe anything you want to.
I don't believe, am sure jivanmuktas are preasent on this earth. But, my argument is.. its more important to address and prove any jivanmukat person infront of others before teaching any concept through which one can get jivanmukat, otherwise its all usless, Thats my point and agrue.

nameless

The Creator
how about teaching them christianity or islam instead?

chinu

chinu
yes, if you are serious and ready to travel to down south
Nameless ji, am always serious about all guru's, infact i respect all gurus. But for the mean time due to very busy routine i think i cannot take out time to travel down, But i can plan to visit, when possible. Glad to know that preasently you are in india. :)
BTW, Chinu ji, do you believe kabir ji was a jivan mukta?
Yes, i believe, infact am sure.

nameless

The Creator
Nameless ji, am always serious about all guru's, infact i respect all gurus. But for the mean time due to very busy routine i think i cannot take out time to travel down, But i can plan to visit, when possible. Glad to know that preasently you are in india. :)
chinu ji ,

good :) , not just now, me always was in india :D

Yes, i believe, infact am sure.
which path did his guru himself followed and taught to kabir ji?

nameless

The Creator
That's also the same thing, nameless ji :)
Hinduism teach people to take shelter in living guru and serve him, worship him to attain liberation, while according to other religions to worship living guru is a terrible sin, it is not the same.

chinu

chinu
Hinduism teach people to take shelter in living guru and serve him, worship him to attain liberation, while according to other religions to worship living guru is a terrible sin, it is not the same.
Nameless ji, i have a question for you.
Are guru's the maker of religion, or religion is the maker of guru's ?
Who's the beginer of any religion, you think ? its guru, or religion itself ?