• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comfort Food

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Warmed up the rice first then cold milk and sugar. Not sure where it comes from, but it was a tasty.

Yup, i do that.

Casserole, double the comfort, casserole on its own is warming comfort on a winters day. Plus I make more than amount needed for a meal then freeze the leftovers.

Make a savory pastry, and make pasties with the thawed out casserole,. With mashed potatoes and carrots or peas and a thick, rich gravy.

Followed by rice pudding...

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It is not a biscuit:

20210510-The-Food-Labs-Buttermilk-Biscuits-liz-voltz-seriouseats-16-8a0c924e4c9440088e073c67ed77d3c1.jpg

It is a cookie:

20111109newtonstackrecipe-thumb-625xauto-198413.jpg

But speaking of comfort food, Biscuits and gravy definitely qualify:

Biscuits-Sausage-Gravy-1-600x400.jpg

To us Aussies, a Fig Newton is a biscuit. What you call a biscuit is more like a scone to us.

And I've never seen Fig Newton's here (I had to look them up too) but we have Spicy Fruit Rolls, which appear basically identical.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
What is a comfort food that you rely on? What makes it a comfort food for you?

I love Ramen. It's warm, savory, and filling. Makes me quite content and happy.

View attachment 57279

I have to go ahead and agree with you! I love ramen. And Takoyaki (though it's not really takoyaki, because it's the vegetarian version). Japanese food and Korean food, really, would be my comfort food.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Since brexit more and more British food are disappearing from the supermarket British section. But one item i hope will always beat the export paperwork and remain available to us ex-pats in france
81nlGsFd9WS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The most glorious crisps (potato chips). I will often buy a big bag and in rhe evening sit with hubby on the settee with a roaring log fire sharing them.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Grilled cheese and chutney sandwich, beside a bowl of Campbell's tomato soup.

Oh, just just remind me of something I've not had since leaving the UK.

My mom makes chicken and mushroom pies (real comfort food). Made with diced chicken and a can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup.

I do make them myself but i make the mushroom soup and it just doesn't have the Campbell's wow factor.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Scones are sweet? You guys really are heathens, aren't ya...lol
Not extremely sweet. Blueberry scones have fruit in them. They are nowhere near as sweet as a cinnamon roll or other sweet roll.

But at least we know the difference between a biscuit and a cookie. Who would ever put gravy on a cookie?:p

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh, just just remind me of something I've not had since leaving the UK.

My mom makes chicken and mushroom pies (real comfort food). Made with diced chicken and a can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup.

I do make them myself but i make the mushroom soup and it just doesn't have the Campbell's wow factor.
You sound as if you could be a convert to hotdish.

ChristineM

Premium Member
You sound as if you could be a convert to hotdish.

Also, fish pie a variety of fish, i use smoked haddock, cod and prawn (medium sized shrimp) in a bowl with white sauce topped with mashed potatoes and cooked in the oven for about 20/25 minutes until the potato is golden brown.

More comfort food

ChristineM

Premium Member
Minnesota Hot Dish

There are a few to check out on that link. I still buy Campbell's soup as an ingredient. The most common use I make of it are pork chops cooked with two different types of Campbell's mushroom soup.

Almost cottage pie...

Minced beef, onion, diced carrot, celery, garlic, beef stock, red wine, tomato puree, plain flour (or corn flour), Worcestershire sauce, black pepper. Topped with mashed potatoes. Cooked in oven.

More delicious comfort food

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Unfortunately we cant get Campbell's soup here.

The condensed ones make a fantastic sauce
They are not the best of soups, but they are very useful as part of as a sauce.

Though a legitimate comfort food using one of their soups as soup is a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup.

Have you ever made a Mister Crunch sandwich?:D

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Not extremely sweet. Blueberry scones have fruit in them. They are nowhere near as sweet as a cinnamon roll or other sweet roll.

But at least we know the difference between a biscuit and a cookie. Who would ever put gravy on a cookie?:p

Gravy? Pure heathenry...

My goodness...this is why Mother England had to break away from you guys. Jam and cream goes on a scone. The best biscuits are Tim Tams, of course, since you can serve them with coffee or use them as a chocolatey straw to drink booze through.

:)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Gravy? Pure heathenry...

My goodness...this is why Mother England had to break away from you guys. Jam and cream goes on a scone. The best biscuits are Tim Tams, of course, since you can serve them with coffee or use them as a chocolatey straw to drink booze through.

:)
LOL! No one wants to put gravy on a scone. You put it on a biscuit. Hmm, let's compare basic recipes. you provide one for scones. I will provide one for biscuits:

I hope it is not too long:

Ingredients

• 2 and 1/2 cups (313g) all-purpose flour, plus extra for hands and work surface
  • 2 Tablespoons aluminum free baking powder (yes, Tablespoons)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick; 115g) unsalted butter, cubed and very cold (see note)
  • 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons (270ml) cold buttermilk, divided
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • optional honey butter topping: 2 Tablespoons melted butter mixed with 1 Tablespoon honey

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
  2. Make the biscuits: Place the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl or in a large food processor. Whisk or pulse until combined. Add the cubed butter and cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or by pulsing several times in the processor. Cut/pulse until coarse crumbs form. See photo above for a visual. If you used a food processor, pour the mixture into a large bowl.
  3. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Pour 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk and drizzle honey on top. Fold everything together with a large spoon or rubber spatula until it begins to come together. Do not overwork the dough. The dough will be shaggy and crumbly with some wet spots. See photo above for a visual.
  4. Pour the dough and any dough crumbles onto a floured work surface and gently bring together with generously floured hands. The dough will become sticky as you bring it together. Have extra flour nearby and use it often to flour your hands and work surface in this step. Using floured hands or a floured rolling pin, flatten into a 3/4 inch thick rectangle as best you can. Fold one side into the center, then the other side. Turn the dough horizontally. Gently flatten into a 3/4 inch thick rectangle again. Repeat the folding again. Turn the dough horizontally one more time. Gently flatten into a 3/4 inch thick rectangle. Repeat the folding one last time. Flatten into the final 3/4 inch thick rectangle.
  5. Cut into 2.75 or 3-inch circles with a biscuit cutter. (Tip: Do not twist the biscuit cutter when pressing down into the dough– this seals off the edges of the biscuit which prevents them from fully rising.) Re-roll scraps until all the dough is used. You should have about 8-10 biscuits. Arrange in a 10-inch cast iron skillet (see note) or close together on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Make sure the biscuits are touching.
  6. Brush the tops with remaining buttermilk. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
  7. Remove from the oven, brush warm tops with optional honey butter, and enjoy warm.
More details here, please note, if using for biscuits and gravy only use the little big of honey in the biscuit. Do not use additional honey:

Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits - Sally's Baking Addiction