• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comfort Food

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
What is a comfort food that you rely on? What makes it a comfort food for you?

I love Ramen. It's warm, savory, and filling. Makes me quite content and happy.

simple-homemade-chicken-ramen-fork-knife-swoon-01.jpg

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What is a comfort food that you rely on? What makes it a comfort food for you?

I love Ramen. It's warm, savory, and filling. Makes me quite content and happy.

View attachment 57279
That looks good. But for comfort food I have the belief that it is supposed to be relatively easy to make. A good bowl of ramen is rather involved. I like to cook. I will often make a meal that takes a bit of work, but there are days when a bowl of Kraft macaroni and cheese with little smokies in it really hits the spot. If you want an oriental flair congee is really good. I sometimes make turkey broth after Thanksgiving or Christmas. It usually goes into one of either two meals. Either a fried chicken and sausage gumbo, another meal that takes a good portion of a day to cook. Or for a really easy one congee. That is more or less the Chinese equivalent of mac and cheese. Instead of taking one cup of rice to one and a half to two cups of water you take one cup of rice and cook it in six to eight cups of broth. And it cooks for about an hour instead of twenty minutes. It turns into a rice porridge. My homemade broth has quite a bit of extra meat in it. So there is no need to add any. Maybe just some sliced scallions and a touch of sesame seed oil.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
That looks good. But for comfort food I have the belief that it is supposed to be relatively easy to make. A good bowl of ramen is rather involved. I like to cook. I will often make a meal that takes a bit of work, but there are days when a bowl of Kraft macaroni and cheese with little smokies in it really hits the spot. If you want an oriental flair congee is really good. I sometimes make turkey broth after Thanksgiving or Christmas. It usually goes into one of either two meals. Either a fried chicken and sausage gumbo, another meal that takes a good portion of a day to cook. Or for a really easy one congee. That is more or less the Chinese equivalent of mac and cheese. Instead of taking one cup of rice to one and a half to two cups of water you take one cup of rice and cook it in six to eight cups of broth. And it cooks for about an hour instead of twenty minutes. It turns into a rice porridge. My homemade broth has quite a bit of extra meat in it. So there is no need to add any. Maybe just some sliced scallions and a touch of sesame seed oil.

I've never made traditional Ramen. Although, I have eaten it plenty of times. I make the cheap packet stuff we have here in the US, and then add things like green onions, meat, and egg to it to make it heartier. Quick and simple imo.

Although, Kraft Mac with hot dogs/smokies is my wife's favorite.

Edit: I usually do 50/50 water to broth when I make rice in my rice cooker, adds a savory quality :).

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
We used to have regular ol' spaghetti and marinara once a week. These days I add a little minced garlic and a dash of Frank's hotsauce. Perfect easy meal that just feels like my childhood.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Roast leg of lamb. Grew up having it every Sunday for lunch because lamb was cheap back then.
Dang you:mad: Now I want some Ox tail stew. When I grew up oxtails were cheap. And my Mom knew how to cook. Now oxtail sells for more than ribeye. If I ever find out who let out the secret about how good oxtails are they are in for a whuppin!!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I've never made traditional Ramen. Although, I have eaten it plenty of times. I make the cheap packet stuff we have here in the US, and then add things like green onions, meat, and egg to it to make it heartier. Quick and simple imo.

Although, Kraft Mac with hot dogs/smokies is my wife's favorite.

Edit: I usually do 50/50 water to broth when I make rice in my rice cooker, adds a savory quality :).
Look up congee and try it some day. I will make a big pot and the next morning put some into a bowl, crack and egg into it and zap it until the egg is done.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Dang you:mad: Now I want some Ox tail stew. When I grew up oxtails were cheap. And my Mom knew how to cook. Now oxtail sells for more than ribeye. If I ever find out who let out the secret about how good oxtails are they are in for a whuppin!!

We lived on oxtail soup in the winter

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

It's amazing how food trends change, the fish monger down the road would give us any John Dory he had because people wouldn't buy it now it's about the most expensive fish at the co-op.

John dory | Australian Fisheries Management Authority

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
How much is it in Oz? I just saw it at $13.00 a pound. I bought a New York strip, bone in, for $7.00 a pound tonight. Insanity.

I'm not sure, haven't bought it for 20 or 30 years, I'll ask next time I'm at the butcher. The price of beef and lamb is ridiculous, I got two eye fillet steaks and 4 lamb loin chops the other day, $38 :eek:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't really have a single dish that I would call comfort food, but lately I've been making Bhutanese food. Its one of the cuisines I initially learned while learning to cook. I'm finding it a trip down memory lane, and indeed comforting.

So, I'd have to say dishes I picked up when I was first learning. The red rice and cheesy chilli soup from Bhutan. Steamed buns and dumplings. From other cuisine, there is the French noodle dish with the white sauce, and Albanian cornmeal mush. Peanut butter stew on couscous. Mostly stuff I have been cooking so many years I don't have the proper names for anymore.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm not sure, haven't bought it for 20 or 30 years, I'll ask next time I'm at the butcher. The price of beef and lamb is ridiculous, I got two eye fillet steaks and 4 lamb loin chops the other day, $38 :eek:
Whoa! That is a pretty penny. Though right now I think that we would be the same after converting currency. I won't buy certain meats unless "on sale".

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don't recall ever seeing them. I'm not much of a biscuit eater so may have overlooked them, I'll look next time I'm in the supermarket.
It is not a biscuit:

20210510-The-Food-Labs-Buttermilk-Biscuits-liz-voltz-seriouseats-16-8a0c924e4c9440088e073c67ed77d3c1.jpg

It is a cookie:

20111109newtonstackrecipe-thumb-625xauto-198413.jpg

But speaking of comfort food, Biscuits and gravy definitely qualify:

Biscuits-Sausage-Gravy-1-600x400.jpg

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Whoa! That is a pretty penny. Though right now I think that we would be the same after converting currency. I won't buy certain meats unless "on sale".

It's hurts when back in the 80's I'd buy a whole lamb for $20 or a side of beef for $50