• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comedian jailed for offensive joke.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Brazil: Jail Term for Comedian Harms Free Speech

Free to speak, but not free of consequence. An insight into a future not far away.

I always think of actions like this as a sign of fear, weakness, and/or intellectual incompetence. The best way to fight an idea is with another idea. Resorting to censorship or criminal penalties over speech is as much as admitting that one doesn't have the intelligence to make a counter-argument.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Isn't it more disrespectful to veterans to threaten people with violence for exercising the very rights and freedoms that they fought for?

Believe it or not, as a Viet Nam era veteran, I agree with you on this one (no, hell hasn't frozen over). The reason we should ever fight is because we enjoy these freedoms. If I go down to Walmart and spend $9.95 for a flag, then that flag is my property to do what I please; which may include stomping, burning, displaying 24/7, or whatever. However, if you try to take my flag or destroy my flag (i.e., property) then we have a problem. Having said that, I understand the feelings of the vets from that era. What we personally endured when we returned to the States still leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many old guys.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
BTW, I am curious as to what the comedian said. It must have been a doozy (and I might want to use it hear in the future...just sayin').

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The legality of it is not in question. I've known a many veteran that would gladly take an assault charge, sit in a cell for a day until they can get bonded out, and face a day in court, to make a point though. I don't condone it, but I can't blame them either.

I mean...it sounds like you're condoning it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Believe it or not, as a Viet Nam era veteran, I agree with you on this one (no, hell hasn't frozen over). The reason we should ever fight is because we enjoy these freedoms. If I go down to Walmart and spend $9.95 for a flag, then that flag is my property to do what I please; which may include stomping, burning, displaying 24/7, or whatever. However, if you try to take my flag or destroy my flag (i.e., property) then we have a problem. Having said that, I understand the feelings of the vets from that era. What we personally endured when we returned to the States still leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many old guys.

It happened here too. It was disgraceful. People served their country, then got blamed for political decisions they weren't in control of.
We failed our troops.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Is it a disagreement or disrespect though?
It doesn't matter. They are not being harmed, they are not in danger or being threatened, and thus there no reason or excuse to accept physically attacking someone who is exercising their rights is ever acceptable.
To a veteran seeing someone desecrate the flag after the horrors they faced serving the country, it might as well be a slap in the face. So I could understand a veteran reacting this way. This doesn't make the veteran immune to an assault charge though. So there's that.
Those "rights and liberties" that people like to remind us troops fight and die for, it does just as well include the right to desecrate the flag. And also a part of belonging to a "civilized" society is being civil towards those you disagree with. Flag desecration harms no one, thus there is no valid reason or excuse for retaliating against someone exercising their Constitutional rights that the Supreme Court has ruled on.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What we personally endured when we returned to the States still leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many old guys.
I've never understood that either. Widely and mostly, it was involuntary, under the penalty of law, and often no means to escape. But a generation later, where the service was widely and mostly voluntary, they get thanked outright and are considered sacred.
People are weird.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The legality of it is not in question. I've known a many veteran that would gladly take an assault charge, sit in a cell for a day until they can get bonded out, and face a day in court, to make a point though. I don't condone it, but I can't blame them either.
Anyone who would retaliate like that is a pathetic snowflake. :cool:

Ellen Brown

Isn't denying someone the right to burn a flag that represents freedom of speech and expression a bigger desecration than the actual burning?

This whole Vietnam War, Flag Burning issue is far too charged and emotional feeling for me. This was an extremely traumatic time in my life and most people have no idea about it. Why? Because most of them were not dragged into a Military Service for a War that they did not understand, but were forced into upon threat of prison and loss of citizenship. Then the whole thing is judged and pontificated on by those who have no frame of reference, and when young american citizens were involved in this issue, having their lives threatened, or lost in many cases, many of the most critical were having wild parties, drinking and smoking weed.

I'm going to ask you once again to leave off it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Brazil: Jail Term for Comedian Harms Free Speech

Free to speak, but not free of consequence. An insight into a future not far away.
If someone is jailed by the government for speaking, then they're not free to speak.

When people talk about not being free of consequences of speech, they're talking about things that nobody is entitled to... for instance:

- being thought highly of
- being invited to social functions
- having a TV show
- being free from criticism

... not denial of actual rights, like protection against detention by the government without due process.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
This whole Vietnam War, Flag Burning issue is far too charged and emotional feeling for me. This was an extremely traumatic time in my life and most people have no idea about it. Why? Because most of them were not dragged into a Military Service for a War that they did not understand, but were forced into upon threat of prison and loss of citizenship. Then the whole thing is judged and pontificated on by those who have no frame of reference, and when young american citizens were involved in this issue, having their lives threatened, or lost in many cases, many of the most critical were having wild parties, drinking and smoking weed.

I'm going to ask you once again to leave off it.

How some hippies treated returning troops was indeed disgusting and unjust, as was the government for drafting and sending kids against their will to die for a frivolous cause that had nothing to do with defending America or our freedoms. It was undoubtedly all a sorrowful tragedy.

But that said, I don't understand how it ties in with deifying a piece of cloth.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What say you on the topic of the article then?

Should he face jail time for his "crime"?
If the people laughed , he should be set free and all charges dismissed.

If not, the moral of the story is don't tell right wing jokes in a left-wing country.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I mean...it sounds like you're condoning it.

Just because I am empathetic doesn't mean I would encourage it in others, or do it myself. I do understand though how some might have strong feelings about it.

Last edited:

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
It doesn't matter. They are not being harmed, they are not in danger or being threatened, and thus there no reason or excuse to accept physically attacking someone who is exercising their rights is ever acceptable.

Those "rights and liberties" that people like to remind us troops fight and die for, it does just as well include the right to desecrate the flag. And also a part of belonging to a "civilized" society is being civil towards those you disagree with. Flag desecration harms no one, thus there is no valid reason or excuse for retaliating against someone exercising their Constitutional rights that the Supreme Court has ruled on.

I agree