• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comedian jailed for offensive joke.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Resorting to violence to resolve mere disagreements should not be considered a valid "school of thought."

Is it a disagreement or disrespect though?

To a veteran seeing someone desecrate the flag after the horrors they faced serving the country, it might as well be a slap in the face. So I could understand a veteran reacting this way. This doesn't make the veteran immune to an assault charge though. So there's that.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Brazil: Jail Term for Comedian Harms Free Speech

Free to speak, but not free of consequence. An insight into a future not far away.

You want to eliminate people's protection from 'defamation'?
What if folks start saying stuff about you?
If a member here was outrageously insulting about you, would you report the post?

I couldn't care less about a nasty little comedian who says and does things like that........ what a rubbish comedian, anyway.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Isn't it more disrespectful to veterans to threaten people with violence for exercising the very rights and freedoms that they fought for?

Well normally, yes. But it is the disrespect caused by the desecration that has the potential to bring about violence. Not the excercising of the right itself. So that has to be taken into consideration.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Well normally, yes. But it is the disrespect caused by the desecration that has the potential to bring about violence. Not the excercising of the right itself. So that had to be taken into consideration.

Interesting. That sounds an awful lot like the "easily offended snowflakes" that conservatives snark about.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Is it a disagreement or disrespect though?

To a veteran seeing someone desecrate the flag after the horrors they faced serving the country, it might as well be a slap in the face. So I could understand a veteran reacting this way. This doesn't make the veteran immune to an assault charge though. So there's that.
Answer me this; how can you value the flag if you don't value what the flag represents? Perhaps you should have Mr. Krabs play his violin for them?
Also, if you actually respect veterans, don't presume to speak for them.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Interesting. That sounds an awful lot like the "easily offended snowflakes" that conservatives snark about.

Slight diffence.

The young people you speak of are generally middle-high income sheltered young people who have done nothing to contribute to society other complain about how unfair it is, to them.

Let see, ah here we go. This young woman, had her Instagram account removed, and now her life is ruined because she is and I quote her, "I am worthless and have no value, I am not cut out to work a 9-5 job".

Poor thing.....bless her heart.

Veterans go to war to so that others do not have to. They witnessed their friends grotesquely injured/maimed/killed. They got grotesquely injured/maiimed/killed themselves. Let's not forget to mention PTSD.

So it's understandable to see why a veteran would be upset when someone desecrates the flag. Especially when that someone who desecrated it has done nothing to benefit society at all.

Last edited:

Enoch07

Premium Member
Answer me this; how can you value the flag if you don't value what the flag represents?

And by burning/desecrating it represents a rejection of its value.

Kinda hypocritical to reject its values then expect the values it represents to protect you from the consequences of desecrating it.

Not only bite the hand that feeds, but also hide behind it for protection!

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Slight diffence.

The young people you speak of are generally middle-high income sheltered young people who have done nothing to contribute to society other complain about how unfair it is, to them.

Let see, ah here we go. This young woman, had her Instagram account removed, and now her life is ruined because she is and I quote her, "I am worthless and have no value, I am not cut out to work a 9-5 job".

Poor thing.....bless her heart.

Veterans go to war to so that others do not have to. They witnessed their friends grotesquely injured/maimed/killed. They got grotesquely injured/maiimed/killed themselves. Let's not forget to mention PTSD.

So it's understandable to see why a veteran would be upset when someone desecrates the flag. Especially someone when that someone who desecrated it have done nothing to benefit society at all.

This certainly makes a lot of presumptions about both veterans and those who "desecrate" the flag.
This whole flag fetishism/idolatry thing is rather creepy.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
And by burning/desecrating it represents a rejection of its value.

Kinda hypocritical to reject its values then expect the values it represents to protect you from the consequences of desecrating it.

Not only bite the hand that feeds, but also hide behind it for protection!

It's no more hypocritical than wanting to repress or retaliate, and the only thing it "bites" is people's fee-fees.

Enoch07

Premium Member
It's no more hypocritical than wanting to repress or retaliate, and the only thing it "bites" is people's fee-fees.

So you're ok with people being fired and harassed for saying something non-pc.

You're ok with a comedian being locked up for protesting by wiping a letter on his bits.

But we have to protect the people who protest a flag by burning/desecrating it.

Gotcha

Notice any inconsistencies?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Veterans go to war for all sorts of different reasons.

So it's understandable to see why a veteran would be upset when someone desecrates the flag. Especially when that someone who desecrated it has done nothing to benefit society at all.

It's both understandable and their right.
However, there are limits to what actions they can take legally based on 'being upset', justified or not.

Incidentally my grandfather got most upset when people told him he 'fought for the flag' and thought that was a pile of old bollocks.
Still, he managed to hold back from assaulting people that said it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So you're ok with people being fired and harassed for saying something non-pc.

You're ok with a comedian being locked up for protesting by wiping a letter on his bits.

But we have to protect the people who protest a flag by burning/desecrating it.

Gotcha

Notice any inconsistencies?

The only inconsistency I notice is between your strawman and reality, because I never said that people should be harassed, fired*, or jailed for saying anything offensive/non-"pc". Why would you assume that was my position?

*Unless it was on the job or while representing their employer.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Brazil: Jail Term for Comedian Harms Free Speech

Free to speak, but not free of consequence. An insight into a future not far away.

We have criminal defamation laws here (Australia). They're rarely invoked, so I don't have issue with them. Based on your OP, I'd suggest cases of injuria would be treated as tort here, which I prefer.
The potential use of criminal defamation laws by politicians to silence debate is troubling.

Enoch07

Premium Member
It's both understandable and their right.
However, there are limits to what actions they can take legally based on 'being upset', justified or not.

The legality of it is not in question. I've known a many veteran that would gladly take an assault charge, sit in a cell for a day until they can get bonded out, and face a day in court, to make a point though. I don't condone it, but I can't blame them either.

Enoch07

Premium Member
The only inconsistency I notice is between your strawman and reality, because I never said that people should be harassed, fired*, or jailed for saying anything offensive/non-"pc". Why would you assume that was my position?

*Unless it was on the job or while representing their employer.

Noted

If you're ok with someone suffering consequences because they were upset by a comment. Then why are you not ok with a vet, or anyone else really, being upset when a flag is desecrated? I don't see much of a difference from your point of view.

Unless you deem one offense greater than the other.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Noted

If you're ok with someone suffering consequences because they were upset by a comment. Then why are you not ok with a vet, or anyone else really, being upset when a flag is desecrated? I don't see much of a difference from your point of view.

Unless you deem one offense greater than the other.

What consequence? What is it you think I'm "not okay" with?