• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comedian jailed for offensive joke.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
You're kidding me stuffing a letter in your crotch then mailing it to someone is speech, sorry no thats offensive actions not speech as covered by their laws.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You're kidding me stuffing a letter in your crotch then mailing it to someone is speech, sorry no thats offensive actions not speech as covered by their laws.
Among the few English sources I can find, the act of tearing the notice up and stuffing it in his underwear is not why he was charged.

whirlingmerc

Brazil: Jail Term for Comedian Harms Free Speech

Free to speak, but not free of consequence. An insight into a future not far away.

It seems a bit overreaching. I would prefer granting a bit more freedom of opinions but on the other hand striving to be a bit more civil. That needs to be voluntary not compulsory

More than half of our politicians in the US would be in jail if being impolite was a crime

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Does someone have the right to stomp on/desecrate their own countries flag then? What do you think about that?

Lyndon

Premium Member
This is Brazil we're talking about, pretty much a right wing dictatorship right now, which makes me wonder if this is just another fake news story given that the perp is conservative and presumably in the pocket of the right wing government.

Enoch07

Premium Member
This is Brazil we're talking about, pretty much a right wing dictatorship right now, which makes me wonder if this is just another fake news story given that the perp is conservative and presumably in the pocket of the right wing government.

Please kind sir, answer the question in post #6. There is no right or wrong answer.

Ellen Brown

Does someone have the right to stomp on/desecrate their own countries flag then? What do you think about that?

Not to a Veteran who involuntarily served in the Vietnam War, he does not! He learned what a choke hold can do and he lived because an alert Cop saved his worthless punk A**. Don't push it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Not to a Veteran who involuntarily served in the Vietnam War, he does not! He learned what a choke hold can do and he lived because an alert Cop saved his worthless punk A**. Don't push it.
They still have that right, and maybe not during Vietnam but today at least troops are taught how to deal with such people, and choking them is not what they are taught to do.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Isn't denying someone the right to burn a flag that represents freedom of speech and expression a bigger desecration than the actual burning?

Lyndon

Premium Member
does freedom of expression give you the right to take a dump in the middle of the street??

Enoch07

Premium Member
Isn't denying someone the right to burn a flag that represents freedom of speech and expression a bigger desecration than the actual burning?

What say you on the topic of the article then?

Should he face jail time for his "crime"?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Only a veteran, could do that if I saw it and not suffer. He has earned the right. Mouthy punks have not.
The Supreme Court has ruled otherwise.
Flag desecration is a right, and it harms no one. Military personnel, however, do not have the right to attack civilians, and they certainly do not have permission to do so either. Violence to suppress rights is disgusting.

Last edited:

Enoch07

Premium Member
The Supreme Court has ruled otherwise.

There is a small difference here.

Ellen is talking about dealing justice on a personal level right there on the spot.

As far as should they be punished by the justice system or not is completely seperate issue.

Just pointing that out. Seems to me there is 2 different schools of thought about the situation.