1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clearing up Mormonism

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by angelmoroni, Jul 26, 2005.

1. joeboonda

joeboonda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +200
    Nothing wrong with reading other books, but I won't give them the same authority as the Holy Bible, sorry.

2. joeboonda

Ratings:
    +200
    You assume. I read it everyday. name one scriptural work the Bible mentions that hasn't been found, and give me the verse. What verse says the Bible is not complete? And don't insult me by saying I have less knowledge, or ask me if I ever read it, It is my sole book for my religion.

3. joeboonda

Ratings:
    +200
    Got that information straight from my local Christian bookstore, thank-you.

4. joeboonda

Ratings:
    +200
    Sorry a Mormon took my book about that, my friend that used to be a Mormon said they were trained to do that. And yup, again, I consider Masonry a cult.

5. Feathers in Hair

Feathers in Hair World's Tallest Hobbit

Ratings:
    +1,793
    Errr... Wouldn't they have a different perspective of Mormonism than, say, Mormons?

6. joeboonda

Ratings:
    +200
    Jesus said to tell the world, its not a secret club, lol. And there are more reasons why I do not believe in ongoing revelation, but I dont have the time to go into it. PEACE!

7. joeboonda

Ratings:
    +200
    Er, I was not presenting the info as an arguement, I was just clarifying what I believe as one who follows only the Bible. But I will give 3 vereses about Jesus being God:

Mathew 1:23 Behold a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. v.10 He was in the world and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

I John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost; and these three are one.

I won't get into the whole baptism thing again, I have explained my views before.

In the world at that time, the 3 heavens were, 1 the earth's atmosphere, 2 the stars, and 3 heaven.

Anyway, I really don't want to argue these points, I was just stating the differences. Everything I stated, was at least at some point, Mormon doctrine.

Anyway, I'm done, there are books on all this, I'll keep reading and you do the same. PEACE!

8. huajiro

huajiro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115
    http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_pages/0037-0501-1508-0504.html :

This is a Mormon church near where I live, it cost millions to build......my problem with that is millions could feed many people.....this to me is a complete waste.

9. jonny

jonny Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +638
    This is a temple, not a church. There are only about 120 temples in the world and this is one of the more elaborate ones.

10. jonny

jonny Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +638
    Here is a list of books mentioned in the bible that are not contained in the bible.

http://www.fairlds.org/apol/bible/bible03.html

11. huajiro

huajiro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115
    That still doesn't make it a worthwile expense.....it even has real gold statues up top

12. joeboonda

Ratings:
    +200
    Ok, cool! Yeah, those would be some ancient books! Thanks for showing me that. I wonder if any of those books could ever be found again, that would be cool.

13. joeboonda

Ratings:
    +200
    Hey, all! Say, I just want you to know, speaking to Mormon's (and anyone), that I am not here to put you down, I respect your beliefs, and I don't feel like debating, at least at this moment. Just made some sausage biscuits, and I am SWEATING! lol. And I again apologize for the use of the word cult, false religion, etc for Masons, Mormons, Catholics, or anyone. If we in my religion consider another religion to be that, we will keep it to ourselves, I was being too open and honest stating my belief, without considering who may have been offended by it.

With that said, I was wondering, and just to learn, ok? But why do Mormon (women only I think), have Temple Garments? I asked a friend of mine who is an ex-Mormon, about the Masonic symbols in them. She actually had to go home and look at her mother's and saw the symbols. Another friend said they were the same symbols that can be found in wicca or the occult religions. Just wondered about all that, if someone could share? Thanks, and PEACE!

14. jonny

jonny Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +638
    LDS members (both male and female) wear temple garments after they have received their endowments in the temple. We consider them a reminder of important and sacred covenants that we have made with God. When discussing things like this with members of the church, please keep in mind that these are items that we regard as very sacred.

In an article from our church magazine, the symbolism of the garments was described in this way. "It is written that “the white garment symbolizes purity and helps assure modesty, respect for the attributes of God, and, to the degree it is honored, a token of what Paul regarded as taking upon one the whole armor of God (Eph. 6:13; cf. D&C 27:15). Garments bear several simple marks of orientation toward the gospel principles of obedience, truth, life, and discipleship in Christ.”"

Here is a link to the complete article. http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/basic/temples/garments_asay.htm

15. joeboonda

Ratings:
    +200
    Thanks, jonny, I glanced through it, still wondering about the symbols, but thanks for the help.

16. Aqualung

Aqualung Tasty

Ratings:
    +604
    Ex 24:7 "took the book of the covenants" We don't have this book of covenants.
    Num 21:14 "book fo the wars of the Lord." We don't have this book of wars. It's not Joshua or anything like that. Those came later.
    Josh 10:13; 2 Sam 1:18 " book of Jasher"
    1 Sam 10:25 "Samuel...wrote it in a book"
    1 Kings 11:41 "book fo the acts of Solomon"
    1 Chr 29:29 "book fo Samuel the seer
    2 Chr 9:29 "book of Nathan the prophe"
    12:25 "book of Shemaiah the prophet"
    13:22 "acts of Abijah...in the story of te prophet Iddo
    20:34 "book of Jehu"
    33:19 "written among the sayings of the seers
    Matt 2:23 "spoken by the prophet, He shall be a Nazarene" The prophets in teh Bible don't say that
    1 Cor 5:9 "I wrote unto you in an epistle"
    Eph 3:3 "as I wrote afore in few words"
    Col 4:16 "read the epistle from Laodicea"
    Jude 1:3 "when I gave all diligence to write unto you"
    1:14 "enoch also ... prophesied of these."

These verses say the Bible is not complete. We are missing things important enough to be mentioned by different people, yet we don't have them anymore.

Edit: Sorry. I didn't see that jonny already answered this.

17. Aqualung

Aqualung Tasty

Ratings:
    +604
    Jesus is not God. He is our Lord, but he answers to someone else (the Father)

If you didn't want to argue them, why did you post them in a thread that was set up to argue them? Do you not want to argue them because you have nothing to argue? Why did you post something filled with untrue things if you didn't want to debate.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Katzpur

Katzpur Not your average Mormon

Ratings:
    +6,295
    Religion:
    LDS Christian
    Well, that explains a lot. Let me ask you something, joeboonda. If a Muslim, who knew absolutely nothing about Christianity, were to want to get accurate information on Christian beliefs and practices, do you think he'd be likely to get a truly objective response from a Jew? If you, as a Christian, wanted to learn specifically about Lutheranism, do you believe that a Catholic would be your best source of information? Would you trust Judas to tell you the truth about the teachings of Jesus? Why do you believe then, that the enemies of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints would provide you with the most accurate and objective information available on Mormonism? Have you ever even considered that the information found in "Christian" bookstores (probably on a shelf labeled "cults") may not be accurate?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Katzpur

Ratings:
    +6,295
    Religion:
    LDS Christian
    I can totally understand your position. If I believed a fraction of what you believe about Mormonism, I wouldn't want any part of it either!

20. Katzpur

Ratings:
    +6,295
    Religion:
    LDS Christian
    Sounds like good advice to me. Maybe you'll be more careful in the future, huh?