• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clearing up Mormonism

IM not hear to argue but to clear up confusion that I am sure a lot of you have concerning the LDS faith. Please Mister Emu just tell me out straight not through quotes.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok,

here are a few reasons why I am not a member of the LDS church.

I do not beleive that we can become gods. The goal of every mormon

I do not beleive that God was once a man, as form what I gleaned, quite a few mormons do.

I do not believe that God is a material object.

However the number one reason I am not a "Mormon" is that the Lord has not called me to become one, I went through a time of prayer on where I should be, and ended up right where I started :D.

Once again the same old thing. What is your purpose on this earth. If God is not material then why are you. Arent you created in his image? Give me your reasons why you dont believe these things. Not just that you dont believe them.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
I don't believe in the second appearance of Christ. I don't believe Joseph Smith was a prophet. I was raised and baptised Mormon, but although I respect them for their morality, many of thier teachings did not make sense to me.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
What is your purpose on this earth.
Not quite sure.

If God is not material then why are you. Arent you created in his image?
Spiritual image.

Give me your reasons why you dont believe these things
Ok.

Isaiah 43:10

10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

This to me ends any ideas of deity for me. Also, it states that there were no Gods before our Lord either.

Ok, the things I have read on this so far are all the same things I have been hearing my whole life. The same things over and over. Do you really think mister emu that the scripture you stated was the first time that I have ever seen that. And as for you jonny 4 life I would tell you to first find out what you are talking about before you write it down. The Book of Mormon wasnt written by Joseph Smith. Read it and you might find out what I am talking about. See its people like you that disrupt all of it. Did you hear that from your preacher and just believe him without even looking for yourself? Mister emu you know just as well as I do that I could quote many scriptures backing up my point from your own Bible. So what do we need in order to clear it up. The confusion among the sects of religion these days is crazy. What are we suppose to believe? Well God has done what he has done ever since the world began, that is calling prophets to teach and interpret scripture. Why would God stop doing this? He wouldnt, the Bible says he is the same yesterday today and forever. As for being created in Gods image...."God created man in HIS OWN image" I hope you know where I got that from. Where does this scripture say spriritual image? Or are you reading out of some different translation that I dont know about?

Apotheosis

I have my own disagreements with the Mormon religion, but the belief in multiple gods is not one of them, if its possible to have one God, why cant there be more?

Why are we here, Mormons believe it has to do with as earning our spot in heaven, 1 of 3 "planes", or of course hell. I also do not have a problem witht his, it certainly seems as plausible as all of the other explanations I have heard.

And God certainly could have a material body, he has ultimate power, who is to say he didnt create a body for himself.

But having said that, I question the origins of the religion, to many problems with it for me to believe that the religion is in fact correct about God.

Kowalski

A really don't mean to insult your faith, but I cannot for the life of me understand why Smith hoodwinked so many people. Was it that they were just desperate, disullusioned, or was Smith a con artist par excellence. I'm not going to pull any punches, but I have no reason not see that the Book of Mormon is nothing more than a tissue of lies.

The whole scenario is so ridiculous that it hardly bears credibilty, and really I think you have to have enormous credulity to buy this stuff.

Lost tribe of Isreal in America, please, it is just is too nonsensical.

K

Kowaski,
12 million people believe it. You should look into it more than the false things you already think. Once again over and over again false understandings of the LDS faith. Do you people really know what you are talking about? PLease research the right stuff before you bring it up. When I say right I mean it. Dont go to some anti mormon site and read up on all this junk it is all false or mis leading. As for you joff 1 show me in the bible where all this stuff that you mentioned is not taught. I will gladly show you where it is. Im not saying this is all doctrine of the church, because its not. Do you think everything a catholic priest says or does is in line with the catholic church? Or everything that a baptist preacher says and does is in perfect harmony with the teachings of all baptist? Think reasonably before you speak!

Kowalski

Friend, I'm very clear about what I'm saying. As for 12 million believers, a certain gentleman once said, the bigger the lie, the more believable it was.

Apart from those words you say are true, and frankly, I don't believe that you can take as gospel what another human wrote. Where is your evidence of the lost tribe in America, did they turn into Sioux indians, and then God said, well OK, let the whiteman kill em all ?

Sorry, but Mormon in my opinion is nonsense.

K

sncjoff1

As a christian I will not continue to cause offense to you, but I will quote you a scripture.

12Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12.

A person cannot be logically argued into the kingdom of God. You, he or she must do the seeking themselves in the bible and in prayer that God will reveal His Truth to you.

If you are interested, I will be glad to share Jesus Christ, the only Lord and Saviour. You can leave me a private message if you choose.

God Bless you in your search.

SNCJOFF1

Scott1

angelmoroni said:
Read it and you might find out what I am talking about. See its people like you that disrupt all of it.
Yooo hoooo....:confused:

I've read it... and I asked you a question..... care to respond?

Apotheosis

Kowalski..the BoM is just as belivable as the Koran,Bible, etc..Almost all religous texts have some pretty far out material inside, BoM included.

jonny

Kowalski said:
A really don't mean to insult your faith, but I cannot for the life of me understand why Smith hoodwinked so many people. Was it that they were just desperate, disullusioned, or was Smith a con artist par excellence. I'm not going to pull any punches, but I have no reason not see that the Book of Mormon is nothing more than a tissue of lies.

The whole scenario is so ridiculous that it hardly bears credibilty, and really I think you have to have enormous credulity to buy this stuff.

Lost tribe of Isreal in America, please, it is just is too nonsensical.

K
Many non-christians find the story of God coming to earth, being born to a virgin, performing miracles, being crucified, and then being resurrected nonsense. This doesn't make it false. Lots of things in every religion don't make sense...could someone really turn water into wine, or raise the dead? If Christ could do this, he could do what the Mormons believe he has done.

jonny

sncjoff1 said:
As a christian I will not continue to cause offense to you, but I will quote you a scripture.

12Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12.
I have been LDS since birth and have never been taught differently.

sncjoff1 said:
You, he or she must do the seeking themselves in the bible and in prayer that God will reveal His Truth to you.
I did this and it was revealed to me that He is pleased with the path I have chosen.

DeepShadow

White Crow
sncjoff1 said:
Citations Detailing and Amplifying Mormon Doctrine. All of the statements below are from Mormon authors in good standing with the Mormon Church:
I can find works by 'members in good standing' of any religion that would make your skin crawl. There are a number of places on this site where I and others have detailed why these works are not official LDS doctrine. Go to www.lds.org and look in their databases for the books we teach out of. See any of these books on the list? Didn't think so. There's a reason.

Of course, a few of the things you've cited can be found in those books, but I must confess I'm not going to debate them with you here, because the entire premise of this debate turns my stomach. Angelmoroni, why are you picking fights? Reread the eleventh article of faith, and 3 Nephi 11:29.