• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleansing the Definition of Science

questfortruth

The words "Science is a system of knowledge obtained by scientific methods" is tautology. After all, scientific methods are the section of science "Methodology". Here, in Theology, one of the methods is reading the Bible and prayer (cleansing the mind).

Therefore, you can reduce: "Science is the extraction of knowledge."

David T

Premium Member
The words "Science is a system of knowledge obtained by scientific methods" is tautology. After all, scientific methods are the section of science "Methodology". Here, in Theology, one of the methods is reading the Bible and prayer (cleansing the mind).

I actually have a theology degree taught by a herd of dr jay evan prichirds. I am with robin williamshis summation is accurate. And he uses a science term! !

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

To me, science is an idea. A tool to validate knowledge. We have knowledge from experience but can we really trust what we experience?

I find our senses, memory and understanding - knowledge not to be so reliable. Science provides a way to test our knowledge. I suppose science can extract incorrect knowledge. That's generally what happens to keep us from straying too far from the truth.

You can't know what you don't know. So our knowledge is only as good as what we can personally experience. However that "knowledge" is fill with incorrect information. Science helps us to filter out that which is incorrect.

Altfish

Veteran Member

Not sure where you got that definition of science from, it is not very good.
A quick search of Wiki gives a much better one...
"Science is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe"

or from elsewhere on the web...

"The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment."

exchemist

Veteran Member

Well "scientia" means simply knowledge, so I agree that is pretty general.

But in general modern usage, "science" is implicitly short for "natural science", which is the study of nature according to certain principles. These principles are often referred to collectively as "the scientific method", although this term suggests a more rigid approach to study than the way scientists really work.

The essence of natural science is the search for explanations of natural phenomena in terms of nature itself, by means of observation and the developing of theories that can correctly predict what to expect in future observations. So it is quite different from theology, or the study of literature such as scripture.

(P.S. I see that while I was writing this others have come forward with something equivalent, taken from Wiki.)

questfortruth

Not sure where you got that definition of science from, it is not very good.
A quick search of Wiki gives a much better one...
"Science is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe"

or from elsewhere on the web...

"The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment."
They simply say, that the Popper's Scientific Criterion is the Scientific Method to Extract Knowledge.
So, basically, they say, that Science is process of extraction while using Scientific methods. But, this definition can be greatly shorten: "Science is knowledge extraction." Then after the definition in a fair textbook the description would follow: "Science is composed of main sections, such as: Methodology, Metrology, and Disciplines (Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Art, History, Philosophy, Psychology, Theology)."

P.S. Some mistakes of peer-review system, and Alternative to Popper Criterion are in the attached file. Would somebody help to publish the article?

Skwim

Veteran Member
P.S. Some mistakes of peer-review system, and Alternative to Popper Criterion are in the attached file. Would somebody help to publish the article?
I assume it hasn't been published because it's goofy. The guy is a kook. It's no wonder he lost his academic job in 2011.