• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Church App/Anti-Vax

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
A wildly popular app for churches is now an anti-vax hotbed.

""Now, with cases from the Delta variant surging and the proliferation of federal and local COVID vaccine mandates, some public health experts are concerned that exemptions for “religious beliefs” could be exploited. Some workers who don’t want the shots “are submitting letters from far-flung religious authorities who have advertised their willingness to help,” the New York Times reported. Indeed, a recent episode of the American Pastors Network’s Subsplash-hosted podcast “Stand in the Gap” contained instructions for how to “prepare your religious exemption letter” for vaccine requirements.""

Why does it seem the most resistant to getting vaccinated are Evangelicals? Wouldn't getting vaccinated adhere to the Golden rule, thanks to protecting themselves in order to best protect others? Wouldn't they want others to keep their best interests at heart?

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

""Now, with cases from the Delta variant surging and the proliferation of federal and local COVID vaccine mandates, some public health experts are concerned that exemptions for “religious beliefs” could be exploited. Some workers who don’t want the shots “are submitting letters from far-flung religious authorities who have advertised their willingness to help,” the New York Times reported. Indeed, a recent episode of the American Pastors Network’s Subsplash-hosted podcast “Stand in the Gap” contained instructions for how to “prepare your religious exemption letter” for vaccine requirements.""
I'm becoming more and more relieved that religious exemptions from COVID vaccine mandates aren't really a thing in Canada.

That being said, I'm not sure we would ever be able to meaningfully achieve herd immunity when Canadians are frequently interacting with the giant reservoir of the virus that is the US.

Why does it seem the most resistant to getting vaccinated are Evangelicals?
Nobody believes just one bad idea.

Wouldn't getting vaccinated adhere to the Golden rule, thanks to protecting themselves in order to best protect others? Wouldn't they want others to keep their best interests at heart?
In my experience, Evangelicals generally don't adhere to the Golden Rule.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Why does it seem the most resistant to getting vaccinated are Evangelicals? Wouldn't getting vaccinated adhere to the Golden rule, thanks to protecting themselves in order to best protect others? Wouldn't they want others to keep their best interests at heart?

No one should get a religious exemption except for Christian Scientists. It's not like the answer is in the Bible. They are just using that loophole for their ridiculous views.

Daemon Sophic

Eh. It's their body, their choice.
Unfortunately, it's not just THEIR bodies. That's the point of an infectious disease that uses infected humans as factories to build billions more of themselves. Which then go on to kill other humans, even including some of the vaccinated.
Their choice -- join civilization, or be exiled.....Never to interact with (or benefit from) civilized people again.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No one should get a religious exemption except for Christian Scientists. It's not like the answer is in the Bible. They are just using that loophole for their ridiculous views.
IMO, nobody should get religious exemptions on this issue. Not even people who have a sincere, deeply-held belief on the issue.

I don't think anyone should be forced to be vaccinated, but I also don't think that people who refuse to be vaccinated should be entitled to keep their job or shop in person where they want.

If they want to make this a conscience issue, they can bear the cost of living according to their conscience.

... Because they will live (if the pandemic doesn't kill them, of course). We're talking about inconvenience and potentially somewhat less fulfilling career options, not destitution. They can deal with it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Unfortunately, it's not just THEIR bodies. That's the point of an infectious disease that uses infected humans as factories to build billions more of themselves. Which then go on to kill other humans, even including some of the vaccinated.
Their choice -- join civilization, or be exiled.....Never to interact with (or benefit from) civilized people again.

You don't own your body?
In other words, you don't have control in what you say, do, and the decisions you make?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Really? Is there something they have in common besides the fact that they won't vax?
I think it's more that I know a whole lotta atheists.
I still suspect fundies to be more likely anti-vax.
My point is that dysfunctional views of vaccination
can afflict even us heathens.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Because so many evangelical leaders are more being guided by right-wing politics than what the Bible teaches. When so many of them still supporting and defending Trump after what he has been involved in, they basically have "sold their soul" to the lowest bidder.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I think it's more that I know a whole lotta atheists.
I still suspect fundies to be more likely anti-vax.
My point is that dysfunctional views of vaccination
can afflict even us heathens.

I know it's not just Evangelicals. But this app and article was specifically talking about it's impacts among the church going population, which is why I wrote my OP as such.