• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chronobiology and You

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Interesting. Personally, I don't wake up until around 1600 hours. However I don't go to sleep until about 0400 hours. So in the winter, at this latitude, I rarely see the Sun. I work nights and late evenings. Have always been a night owl, just like my grandmother, she was the same as me. It suits me fine though. At night, we only have candles on usually. Electric lights are just too bright.

The researcher stated that if you treat your night like your day (sleep schedule, eating etc.) your rhythm can maintain that as our bodies don't "physically know" what time of day it is.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
This is a tangential and kinda personal question, so I understand if you'd rather not answer, but I'm curious: were you in the military?

(The way you wrote the time made me wonder. :D)

I vastly prefer the 24 hour clock system thanks to the military myself. Running local and UST is a pain in the *** though imo.

Little Dragon

The researcher stated that if you treat your night like your day (sleep schedule, eating etc.) your rhythm can maintain that as our bodies don't "physically know" what time of day it is.
Interesting. Meaning light itself is not the primary factor in these rhythms? As it is with some organisms.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Interesting. Meaning light itself is not the primary factor in this rhythms? As it is with some organisms.

Mmhm. Seems that it plays a part of it. Hence light interrupting that schedule. But a lot of it I think deals with our personal sleep/wake cycle.

Edited: "The trick is to pretend that night is day and vice versa. If you do this very rigorously, you can avoid most problems because your body doesn’t know what is day and what is night. What matters is how much light comes in and when you eat. If there is no light and you keep the room dark for eight hours of sleep, you are not interrupted and you don’t eat during that period, your body doesn’t know the difference. The problem is interacting with your family, with the rest of the world."

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Being in tune with circadian rhythms is why I haven't had to set an alarm clock in over a decade. Whenever I tell folks that, they stare at me like I've grown two heads.