• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chronobiology and You

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Chronobiologist and Nobel Laureate in Medicine Michael Rosbash: ‘Lack of sunlight during the day is worse than electric lighting at night’

Chronobiology is the study on the biological basis of the circadian rhythm that governs our body, by responding to an external day/night cycle.

Circadian stemming '"From the Latin circa, “around” and dies, “day,” circadian rhythms are the 24-hour changes in our physiology that synchronize with the day-night cycle and modulate when we are hungry, sleepy, want sex and have asthma attacks or a fever in the afternoon."'

The chronobiologist, M. Rosbach states that "[Having] updated the figure due to new research done over the past six years. [Finding] in 2019 there was a large study done on baboons, the first in primates, and [the figure] went to 70%." That is how much of your body is regulated by your circadian rhythm.

And "We are exposed to too much light at night and not enough during the day because indoor electric lighting is far inferior to sunlight. In fact, according to recent research, a lack of sunlight during the day is even worse than the presence of light at night. Many cases of sleep problems are cured by addressing these environmental factors."

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I love being asleep

It is much better than being awake

Good job I sleep so much then!

Although it does get in the way of me doing things but that doesn't bother me too much......

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Do some wake up world stuff to! We can only play in our dreams. The real magic is out here.
I can't be bothered it is easier to sleep :D

But joking aside I could do with changing my sleep rhythm so that I go to sleep and get up earlier

For me the problem is more about when I sleep than about how long I sleep

Which isn't helped by my meds

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
And "We are exposed to too much light at night and not enough during the day because indoor electric lighting is far inferior to sunlight. In fact, according to recent research, a lack of sunlight during the day is even worse than the presence of light at night. Many cases of sleep problems are cured by addressing these environmental factors

Lack of sunlight can dramatically decrease the bodies vitamin D.

Little Dragon

Chronobiologist and Nobel Laureate in Medicine Michael Rosbash: ‘Lack of sunlight during the day is worse than electric lighting at night’

Chronobiology is the study on the biological basis of the circadian rhythm that governs our body, by responding to an external day/night cycle.

Circadian stemming '"From the Latin circa, “around” and dies, “day,” circadian rhythms are the 24-hour changes in our physiology that synchronize with the day-night cycle and modulate when we are hungry, sleepy, want sex and have asthma attacks or a fever in the afternoon."'

The chronobiologist, M. Rosbach states that "[Having] updated the figure due to new research done over the past six years. [Finding] in 2019 there was a large study done on baboons, the first in primates, and [the figure] went to 70%." That is how much of your body is regulated by your circadian rhythm.

And "We are exposed to too much light at night and not enough during the day because indoor electric lighting is far inferior to sunlight. In fact, according to recent research, a lack of sunlight during the day is even worse than the presence of light at night. Many cases of sleep problems are cured by addressing these environmental factors."
Interesting. Personally, I don't wake up until around 1600 hours. However I don't go to sleep until about 0400 hours. So in the winter, at this latitude, I rarely see the Sun. I work nights and late evenings. Have always been a night owl, just like my grandmother, she was the same as me. It suits me fine though. At night, we only have candles on usually. Electric lights are just too bright.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I love being asleep

It is much better than being awake

Like so?

_1498481486.jpg

I'm just the opposite, i much prefer being awake, seems like sleeping wastes so much valuable time

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting. Personally, I don't wake up until around 1600 hours. However I don't go to sleep until about 0400 hours.

This is a tangential and kinda personal question, so I understand if you'd rather not answer, but I'm curious: were you in the military?

(The way you wrote the time made me wonder. :D)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I hear that. I still dream that I haven't finished my law dissertation and I've missed the deadline to hand it in. Was 5 years ago!

Frikken anxiety...
I still have those sorts of dreams as well, though they're fewer and farther between as time goes on, but I've only retired from management a couple of months ago. I find meditating prior to going to be helpful as well.