• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas is here! I never used to celebrate...

Tumah

Veteran Member
Yeah well better to be the calf let out to pasture huh?
There is no calf let out to pasture. A מרבק is a pen filled with feed that is used for fattening up animals. This part of the verse is connected to the next verse and form another metaphor. The righteous are being compared to the fattening of the calf and the wicked are being pressed by the calves' feet, like the hay in the stall.

Its following the same formula as the previous metaphor: the same event that causes the wicked to suffer, causes the righteous benefit. In the first metaphor it was heat and in this second metaphor its the cow in the feeding stall.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
There is no calf let out to pasture. A מרבק is a pen filled with feed that is used for fattening up animals. This part of the verse is connected to the next verse and form another metaphor. The righteous are being compared to the fattening of the calf and the wicked are being pressed by the calves' feet, like the hay in the stall.

Its following the same formula as the previous metaphor: the same event that causes the wicked to suffer, causes the righteous benefit. In the first metaphor it was heat and in this second metaphor its the cow in the feeding stall.

No, it clearly says they are let out to pasture. But perhaps the metaphor allows some room for interpretation. Such as before the Day of the Lord the Sheep and Goats were all locked together in the same pen. The wicked got fat like theives and robbers but on the Day of the Lord were too fat and slow to get out of the way, and the righteous trampled them to ashes as they were let out to pasture.

Tumah

Veteran Member
No, it clearly says they are let out to pasture.
No. It doesn't. מרעה is a pasture. מרבק is not a pasture.

But perhaps the metaphor allows some room for interpretation. Such as before the Day of the Lord the Sheep and Goats were all locked together in the same pen. The wicked got fat like theives and robbers but on the Day of the Lord were too fat and slow to get out of the way, and the righteous trampled them to ashes as they were let out to pasture.
I don't know idea what you're saying. And frankly, I don't think you have any idea either.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
No. It doesn't. מרעה is a pasture. מרבק is not a pasture.

I don't know idea what you're saying. And frankly, I don't think you have any idea either.
I do know what you're saying, as always, anything but Jesus.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I do know what you're saying, as always, anything but Jesus.
Not anything. The truth. By accepting Jesus, you've basically closed your mind to critical reading. Anyone who hasn't accepted Jesus can easily see that you're forcing an interpretation that doesn't fit naturally.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Not anything. The truth. By accepting Jesus, you've basically closed your mind to critical reading. Anyone who hasn't accepted Jesus can easily see that you're forcing an interpretation that doesn't fit naturally.

No it does fit naturally. leaping for joy like a calf let out to pasture. or leaping for joy like a calf stuck in a pen? Which fits naturally?

Tumah

Veteran Member
No it does fit naturally. leaping for joy like a calf let out to pasture. or leaping for joy like a calf stuck in a pen? Which fits naturally?
Neither. Because it doesn't say either of those.
Here's the verse in its entirety:

וזרחה - And the rising/shining (in Hebrew the rising of the sun is associate with its beginning to shine)
לכם - for you
יראי - those who fear
שמי - My name
שמש - sun
צדקה - righteousness
ומרפא - and healing
בכנפיה - in her wings
ויצאתם - and your exiting
ופשתם - and your fattening
כעגלי - like calves of
מרבק - fattening pens

Please note that the words "righteousness" and "in her wings" both of which are connected to the sun, indicate that the sun is a feminine noun.

And in English:
And it will rise for you -those who fear My name, a sun of righteousness. And healing [will be] in its wings. And your going out and you fattening [will be] like calves of the fattening pen.

There is no leaping for joy.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Neither. Because it doesn't say either of those.
Here's the verse in its entirety:

וזרחה - And the rising/shining (in Hebrew the rising of the sun is associate with its beginning to shine)
לכם - for you
יראי - those who fear
שמי - My name
שמש - sun
צדקה - righteousness
ומרפא - and healing
בכנפיה - in her wings
ויצאתם - and your exiting
ופשתם - and your fattening
כעגלי - like calves of
מרבק - fattening pens

Please note that the words "righteousness" and "in her wings" both of which are connected to the sun, indicate that the sun is a feminine noun.

And in English:
And it will rise for you -those who fear My name, a sun of righteousness. And healing [will be] in its wings. And your going out and you fattening [will be] like calves of the fattening pen.

There is no leaping for joy.

.Malachi 4:2 "But for you who fear My name,the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings; and you will go forth and skip about like calves from the stall.

You missed only by a little. And your going out will be like calves from the fattening pen. ( so the calves were watered, fed and set free, or let out = going out.)

Tumah

Veteran Member
.Malachi 4:2 "But for you who fear My name,the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings; and you will go forth and skip about like calves from the stall.

You missed only by a little. And your going out will be like calves from the fattening pen. ( so the calves were watered, fed and set free, or let out = going out.)
Its your translation that isn't doing a good job.
They translate ופשתם to mean "skip about", when the Strong's already gives a different meaning to the root in the main translation page for that root in your link:

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
grow up, be grown fat, spread selves, be scattered
A primitive root; to spread; figuratively, act proudly -- grow up, be grown fat, spread selves, be scattered.
And then again, they make the mistake in translating מרבק as "from the stall" because the prefix מ (/m/) does usually mean from. But here its part of the word. Again from your link on Strong's:

marbeq: a stall
Original Word: מַרְבֵּק
So it can't be that they are "skipping from the stall" because there is no "from". Without that prefix and with the suffix of the word before, the phrase is rendered "calves of [a] stall". And without the comparison to calves leaving the stall, fattening is the more proper translation, because that's what calves do in the stall.

At this point, I'm more surprised when your translators get something right, honestly.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Its your translation that isn't doing a good job.
They translate ופשתם to mean "skip about", when the Strong's already gives a different meaning to the root in the main translation page for that root in your link:

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
grow up, be grown fat, spread selves, be scattered
A primitive root; to spread; figuratively, act proudly -- grow up, be grown fat, spread selves, be scattered.
And then again, they make the mistake in translating מרבק as "from the stall" because the prefix מ (/m/) does usually mean from. But here its part of the word. Again from your link on Strong's:

marbeq: a stall
Original Word: מַרְבֵּק
So it can't be that they are "skipping from the stall" because there is no "from". Without that prefix and with the suffix of the word before, the phrase is rendered "calves of [a] stall". And without the comparison to calves leaving the stall, fattening is the more proper translation, because that's what calves do in the stall.

At this point, I'm more surprised when your translators get something right, honestly.

Your translation is garbage. If there is a wrong way to interpret the Hebrew words you pick that way.

Sammy420

Well I guess my question is did you give up on Jesus and Christianity altogether or just the JW's?

Sorry I just read this.. If I'm scared or need to say a prayer I say one openly, I say no names at the end, directed only for the universe or the ones who created it.
Because with these hundreds of thousands of religions out there who knows who is correct? If any! So I like to keep an open mind and heart to all religions..

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Sorry I just read this.. If I'm scared or need to say a prayer I say one openly, I say no names at the end, directed only for the universe or the ones who created it.
Because with these hundreds of thousands of religions out there who knows who is correct? If any! So I like to keep an open mind and heart to all religions..
Well your young. I didn't decide on anything until around 30, but wished I had sooner.

JakofHearts

2 Tim 1.7
Santa and presents and Christmas trees are a childs (and adults) delight, so long they know the nativity story, I'm good.