• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians- How do you know Jesus and the Bible are true?

Brian2

Veteran Member
Actually I didn’t really accept the OT and NT until I discovered that in these glorious Books of God, mention had been made of both The Bab and Baha’u’llah and a lot about Muhammad especially in the Book of Revelation. It was the Bible which convinced me that Baha’u’llah is Christ returned in the Glory of the Father.

But over the centuries unfortunately Christians have been indoctrinated to believe only the interpretations of their clergy and stick by it regardless it is an interpretation by fallible men which could be wrong.

So you believed in Baha'u'llah and he said you must believe in the Bible and in what he told you the Bible meant. (the fruits of a false prophet)
Are you saying that what is written in the New Testament is the interpretation of fallible men which could be wrong? (the fruits of a false prophet)

The Bible is never wrong but there are many conflicting interpretations which are not all correct. So you believe your interpretation is right and true. I do not believe we can interpret the Bible as Revelation chapter 5 says no man on earth or in heaven can unseal the meanings of the Book. To me that means no religious person or priest or academic worldly scholar can unravel the meanings of the abstruse passages of the Bible.

Why do you say the scroll of Rev 5 is the Bible and that the one who unseals it is finding out the correct interpretation of it. That sounds like an interpretation you are told to believe in Baha'i.
When the Bible tells us that Jesus is the Son of Man, the root of David, the one who will call all people from the grave and judge them, the one who purchased people for God from all nations, the one who will return etc do you see these things as just interpretations of the OT or part of the truth of the Bible which is never wrong?

It goes on to say that only the Lion, the Messiah can unseal the meanings when He returns and so Baha’is do not interpret the Bible like you and Christians do because the Bible states no one can unseal the meanings not you nor I nor priests or academics.

You are saying what Baha'i tells you about the scroll and what it is. That is not in the Bible. Actually it is the Lamb who opens the scroll and it's seals, so I guess the Lamb is the Lion of Judah. And do you know that Revelation is not a sealed book according to Revelation.(Rev 22:10) It seems it becomes sealed and needing special interpretation when false prophets come and claim to be the only ones who know what it means.

So Baha’is get the interpretation from the Lion Who we believe is Baha’u’llah- the Glory of God prophesied numerous times in the Bible. That’s how we see things. Individual interpretations are guaranteed to be wrong so I do not believe you can honestly say that your interpretation is infallible and without error in view of Revelation chapter 5 as you fall under the definition of a man on earth and no earthly men can unseal the books according to Revelation ch 5.

So are you saying that the scroll is the whole Bible or just Revelation or what?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
So you believed in Baha'u'llah and he said you must believe in the Bible and in what he told you the Bible meant. (the fruits of a false prophet)
Are you saying that what is written in the New Testament is the interpretation of fallible men which could be wrong? (the fruits of a false prophet)

Why do you say the scroll of Rev 5 is the Bible and that the one who unseals it is finding out the correct interpretation of it. That sounds like an interpretation you are told to believe in Baha'i.
When the Bible tells us that Jesus is the Son of Man, the root of David, the one who will call all people from the grave and judge them, the one who purchased people for God from all nations, the one who will return etc do you see these things as just interpretations of the OT or part of the truth of the Bible which is never wrong?

You are saying what Baha'i tells you about the scroll and what it is. That is not in the Bible. Actually it is the Lamb who opens the scroll and it's seals, so I guess the Lamb is the Lion of Judah. And do you know that Revelation is not a sealed book according to Revelation.(Rev 22:10) It seems it becomes sealed and needing special interpretation when false prophets come and claim to be the only ones who know what it means.

It says clearly only the True One can unseal the meanings and what Baha’is believe is that One is Baha’u’llah Who has unsealed the meanings of the Bible.

But all will eventually accept Christ has returned over time. ‘Every eye shall see Him’ doesn’t specify instantly or over centuries. It is Christians which ‘imagine’ an instantaneous event. The Bible nowhere states that. Also in Biblical terms seeing is not just out ward sight but means to ‘believe’. In Matthew sight and hearing is explained as ‘believing’ and closing one’s eyes as ‘disbelieving.

Some terms in the Bible are spiritual not physical. For example. Christ said ‘let the dead bury the dead’. He meant, let the spiritually dead bury the physically dead. Being ‘born again’ means spiritual life.

Christs return we believe the Bible says is as a great Spiritual Being and all those who have spiritual eyes will see Him but those waiting for Him to physically come riding in on a cloud will miss His return because it was never meant literally just as death and birth are spiritual terms. The cloud mentioned is the human body because just like clouds obscure the light of the sun, so too when Christ returns His human form will be a severe test to literalists and materialists who expect a fantastic world wide light show!

So instead of rejoicing, Christians are condemning the very One Whom they have been awaiting for centuries. And it all comes back to a literal interpretation of the Bible and so everything has become literal even though the Bible has many symbolic allusions.

I fully accept the Bible but not that every word has a literal meaning only.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So you base your beliefs in the Bible on the opinions of people.
?????? What beliefs in the Bible are those?
Why do you say the gospels are unevidenced ideas?
Is it your own subjective credence scale when it comes to the acceptance of supernatural history or is there an internationally recognized credence scale that we should all follow?
OK. Show me some empirical evidence, or even evidence from identified, disinterested claimants.
"Supernatural history?" That's kind of an oxymoron. If it's supernatural, it's, by definition, unevidenced. Evidenced 'supernatural' is natural, empirical fact.
So you don't like the evidence and you reject it and you think others should also and you try to show them why, even when your reasons are just as subjective as those who believe, and are just opinions.
No. It's not that I don't like the evidence so much as it's not really evidence. And my reasons for rejecting your evidence are objective reason and logic, not personal.
You claim a better approach to belief when you know that nobody has the level of evidence you require to believe in the supernatural.
So you are preaching that the supernatural things in history should not be believed by rational people.
Exactly! Now you've got it!
The supernatural is unevidenced. If it were evidenced it wouldn't be supernatural, by definition. Rational beliefs are evidenced based or logical beliefs. Unevidenced belief is not rational, it's faith. Faith, also by definition, is unevidenced. If it were supported by evidence it would be knowledge.
Modern scholarship is opinion as is any conclusion about the truth or not of Jesus and the gospels.
How does science and reason show conventional christian theology to be wrong?
Scholarship is evidence based. Your religion is faith based. QED.
The Bible's full of demonstrable, historical falsehoods, contradictions, and fantastical miracles nobody would believe today, even with multiple, eyewitnesses.
Faith usually has evidence but not what you want. Why do you say it is unevidenced? Why do you say it is irrational if evidenced?
If it had evidence, it wouldn't be faith. Faith is unevidenced belief.
"Rational" means evidence based. Faith is defined as belief without objective evidence. Ergo: faith is irrational.
How do you not understand this? Do you have your own, personal definitions for these terms?
You do all this with the authority of someone who knows/believes strongly in the truth of your way,,,,,,,,,, even though all you have is opinions based on your opinions.
"My way?" I'm proposing no way. I'm just pointing out problems with your reasoning and purported evidence.
You do all this with the authority of someone who knows/believes strongly in the truth of your way,,,,,,,,,, even though all you have is opinions based on your opinions.
Again, I'm not promoting a 'way', and I'm relying on reason and logic, not opinion.

And the way you promote is a way that you know cannot lead to belief in the supernatural so you are preaching that we should not believe in the supernatural until we have what you might call evidence and if anyone does believe before that they are irrational because in your opinion faith is arrived at through no evidence.
I'm not trying to lead anyone to belief, and I am discouraging belief in the supernatural.
"Rational" means evidence or logic based. "Irrational" means believed without evidence. Faith is belief without evidence, therefore, it is irrational. This is not my opinion. This is how the terms are defined.

Your faith is based on gut feelings and tradition, not evidence. Evidence is objective, tangible, observable by anyone, measurable, testable.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
OK. Show me some empirical evidence, or even evidence from identified, disinterested claimants.
"Supernatural history?" That's kind of an oxymoron. If it's supernatural, it's, by definition, unevidenced. Evidenced 'supernatural' is natural, empirical fact.
No. It's not that I don't like the evidence so much as it's not really evidence. And my reasons for rejecting your evidence are objective reason and logic, not personal.
The supernatural is unevidenced. If it were evidenced it wouldn't be supernatural, by definition. Rational beliefs are evidenced based or logical beliefs. Unevidenced belief is not rational, it's faith. Faith, also by definition, is unevidenced. If it were supported by evidence it would be knowledge.
The Bible's full of demonstrable, historical falsehoods, contradictions, and fantastical miracles nobody would believe today, even with multiple, eyewitnesses.
"Rational" means evidence based. Faith is defined as belief without objective evidence. Ergo: faith is irrational.
How do you not understand this? Do you have your own, personal definitions for these terms?
"My way?" I'm proposing no way. I'm just pointing out problems with your reasoning and purported evidence. Again, I'm not promoting a 'way', and I'm relying on reason and logic, not opinion.

I'm not trying to lead anyone to belief, and I am discouraging belief in the supernatural.
"Rational" means evidence or logic based. "Irrational" means believed without evidence. Faith is belief without evidence, therefore, it is irrational. This is not my opinion. This is how the terms are defined.

Your faith is based on gut feelings and tradition, not evidence. Evidence is objective, tangible, observable by anyone, measurable, testable.

But how do you prove from evidence that there is not a Supreme Eternal Being ‘beyond mortal man’s comprehension’ because our finite comprehension is incapable of understanding that which is beyond our understanding?

Baha’is believe that God exists but is beyond our intellectual and emotional understanding. So do we deny something just because we do not understand it?

We are scientifically surrounded by all sorts of mathematical formulas in the form of things like the laws of physics which work automatically according to a preprogrammed rule which is set in stone and cannot be altered. Then there’s ‘coincidences’ like the sun being mathematically the correct distance from earth to support life. I cannot attribute kinds of things to ‘luck, chance or randomness’ but intelligent design. The most complex form of life the human body. Just chance again?

To me there are just way too many of these kinds of situations for me to deny there is a God, despite me being unable to fathom His Mystery. All the Prophets and Messengers speak of a Supreme Being but admit too that even They cannot understand fully.

The problem here is we are condemning something our minds cannot grasp. I think that is irrational and unrealistic and unreasonable. There is heaps of circumstantial evidence to support the existence of God but we will never ever be able to prove it inconclusively because God is not tangible so He is not here or there and the human mind is incapable of grasping Him. But there are ‘signs’ circumstantial signs which, when all put together add up to more than just blind faith.

People who want scientific tangible evidence are being unreasonable because God is incomprehensible to any human and will remain so forever. But even science proves that everything in existence obeys certain scientific and mathematical laws and to me that is a proof that there is an Intelligence behind it.

But by the same token, religions have often descended into superstition and I agree that at such times that kind of a God seems ludicrous. Christ’s dead body rising out of the grave, dead bodies to come to life on the day of resurrection, the sacraments, wars and other such things have nothing to do with reason or intelligence. So the way religionists have acted full of superstition has led many to believe God is nonsense.

It’s unfortunate but for being so superstitious religions are losing credibility.

If anything religion needs most it is science and reason.

Brian2

Veteran Member
It says clearly only the True One can unseal the meanings and what Baha’is believe is that One is Baha’u’llah Who has unsealed the meanings of the Bible..

You believe Baha'u'llah is the true one because that is what Baha'i teaches.
Where does it say that only the True One can unseal the meaning?
Why is it the Lamb who opens the seals and not the Lion if they are different people?

But all will eventually accept Christ has returned over time. ‘Every eye shall see Him’ doesn’t specify instantly or over centuries. It is Christians which ‘imagine’ an instantaneous event. The Bible nowhere states that. Also in Biblical terms seeing is not just out ward sight but means to ‘believe’. In Matthew sight and hearing is explained as ‘believing’ and closing one’s eyes as ‘disbelieving.

Some terms in the Bible are spiritual not physical. For example. Christ said ‘let the dead bury the dead’. He meant, let the spiritually dead bury the physically dead. Being ‘born again’ means spiritual life.

Christs return we believe the Bible says is as a great Spiritual Being and all those who have spiritual eyes will see Him but those waiting for Him to physically come riding in on a cloud will miss His return because it was never meant literally just as death and birth are spiritual terms. The cloud mentioned is the human body because just like clouds obscure the light of the sun, so too when Christ returns His human form will be a severe test to literalists and materialists who expect a fantastic world wide light show!

So instead of rejoicing, Christians are condemning the very One Whom they have been awaiting for centuries. And it all comes back to a literal interpretation of the Bible and so everything has become literal even though the Bible has many symbolic allusions.

I fully accept the Bible but not that every word has a literal meaning only.

Jesus did use symbolic language in His parables and teachings at times yes.
Yes I don't think that all humans that have lived will see Him as He returns, the resurrection does not take place until later.
You say you fully accept the Bible but not literally.
How does that work with for example the following passage without just plainly denying what is written?
I know that Baha'u'llah says that "in the clouds" is not literal even though the disciples saw Jesus ascend and then disappear into the clouds. How about the rest of what the angel said?

Acts 1:9 After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.
10 They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 11 “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”

Brian2

Veteran Member

Your beliefs about the Bible then if that helps.

You already have evidence from historians close to the time of Jesus. You already have evidence of those who are witnesses of events in Jesus life. That is not enough?
What do you class as empirical evidence in this case?
Why do you think that any witnesses would be uninterested if the stories were true?
"Supernatural history" is the reported supernatural events that happened with Jesus. That makes it evidenced.

So you think that supernatural claims are not evidence even if there is are a number of witnesses to these events.
What objective reason and logic do you use to reject the supernatural witness reports?

The supernatural events are supported by witness evidence and documents written by witnesses.
It is irrational to say that is not evidence.

When we have different opinions in scholarship and it is all evidence based then it is also all opinion based.
When modern scholarship rejects supernatural history as evidence then it is biased and faith based opinion and that is what you accept.

People reach conclusions based on evidence that does not fully prove something. It is faith based on evidence. It is rational faith. You have your opinion about faith but it is wrong since I am someone of faith and I know that faith can have evidence for it and is rational.
It is no wonder that skeptics, atheists etc don't like it said that they have faith in the truth of something, you make up definitions of faith that are not true.

"My way?" I'm proposing no way. I'm just pointing out problems with your reasoning and purported evidence.

The problems seem to be with your reasoning and denial of evidence.

Again, I'm not promoting a 'way', and I'm relying on reason and logic, not opinion.

You rely on your way, your definition of evidence and rationality and you rely on the faith based opinions of modern Bible historians. (faith based because it is based on a denial of any supernatural things written about.

There are different types of evidence.
You want to impose scientific ideas and presumptions of no supernatural on books that are by definition based in supernatural events.
You aren't trying to lead anyone to belief just out of belief. Same thing imo but using the skeptic twist of words to deny it.
But you are leading people to believe in scientific definitions of evidence and that these apply to the spiritual as well as the physical and so that automatically disqualifies any evidence of the spiritual.
Skeptics use ridiculous reasoning like that on themselves and so you have deceived yourselves personally and as a group.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
We have been informed by the many Messengers, that God is One and that humanity needs to unite as one.
God is One is what Sai Baba taught also. So all people pray to the One God, by different Names...still the same God

I love this concept, as it can end Religious wars.

We have been shown by them, the virtues required in both thought and action, that will enable us to acheive this oneness
True. Purify ourselves in thoughts, words and deeds is a good step to take. Simple and practical, though not always easy

stvdv

Materialism is a veil, love of Names is a veil (as Names can blind us to the Spirit), love of self can be a veil, all of which have a myriad levels of self justification available
Love of God (Love of the Name which "represents" God) is the Key given by many Saints, Messengers, Avatars to grow Spiritual in Kali Yuga.

Although Name of God is indeed still a veil, it's the least harmful veil. Better hold on to the Name AND drop all the other veils first. Then, if just that 1 veil is left, you can drop that 1 veil easily.

All the while, when one is stating a position of righteousness, we can still have many, many veils. In the Bible, these veils are the clouds that Christ returns upon. They start to dissipate only when we embrace those that can remove the veils.
Hence the importance of the Guru in Hinduism, and Jesus in Christianity.

Full Surrender to your Master, means you trust Him to guide you. No need to worry about veils for me, that would imply I don't trust my Master 100% to take care of me

stvdv

A problem we can face, is many that are just as veiled as we are, claim to be the removers of veils and end up as the Bible offers, as the blind leading the blind.
True not many are "not blind"

Hence, I am grateful for meeting Sai Baba and accepting Him as my guide, Guru, God. 1 good friend, who guides me, is enough for me

All these things that veil us, is what we then use to justify our thoughts and actions, that are not intune with what has been given by the 'One God' to humanity.
I know Sai Baba's Teachings quite well. So, I can't fool myself, and I won't justify if I go against His Teachings. I just admit "this one I can't do yet, but I will work on it as hard as I can"

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Love of God (Love of the Name which "represents" God) is the Key given by many Saints, Messengers, Avatars to grow Spiritual in Kali Yuga.

Although Name of God is indeed still a veil, it's the least harmful veil. Better hold on to the Name AND drop all the other veils first. Then, if just that 1 veil is left, you can drop that 1 veil easily.

I think we need to know what the name means and we then become lovers of the attributes of the Name, not the outward form of the Name.

So when we Love Baha'u'llah, Baha'u'llah means "Glory of God", being Lovers of the "Glory of God" means lovers of the attributes of all Messengers, thus far less restricted.

I offer that, as one can see what destruction the Love of the name Jesus has brought upon the human condition. Jesus was annointed as the Christ, and Christ is the name that Jesus said he Should be known by, the "Name" the Church would be built upon. Christ is universal, as all Messengers are Annointed, so Love of Christ again becomes the Love of all attributes, the Love of all God's Annointed Ones.

Likewise Muhammad means “The Praiseworthy”, so knowing that we can see beyond the Name to the Attributes and know that Attribute is also applicable and shared by all Messengers, they are the source of all our Praise of and for God.

The Bab means "Gate", again that attribute applicable to all Messengers, as they are all the Gate we come to God through. (There is a myriad of manifested truths as to why the Bab came as the Gate)

That is how I see this topic. It's massive.

Regards Tony

Last edited:

Apostle John

“Go ahead, look up Revelation 6”
The Bible is true and the Lord Jesus exists because the Old Testament (the Jewish Bible) was written down as Judaism was being practiced 400+ years before the Lord Jesus walked the Earth. A wealth of archaeology proves these historical events and timeline. The Lord Jesus fulfilled at least 200 prophecies, too veiled for a group of humans to back fit and invent a new religion. There’s a wealth of secular documents and other history showing the Lord Jesus was a real person. The average person doesn’t study prophecy but it is remarkable evidence, no other religious book is quite like it.

stvdv

I think we need to know what the name means
Very true,
contemplating on the meaning of the Name takes devotion into a whole other dimension

Sathya (means Truth)
Sai (means Divine Mother)
Baba (means Divine Father)

To honour Sai Baba, we need not touch His Feet, but, on the other hand "always speak Truth" is a very good Sadhana.

and

we then become lovers of the attributes of the Name, not the outward form of the Name
About identification with outward form:
Sai Baba taught us "I am not this body, that you see walking around here".

I love this Teaching of Him "best". For me, Sai Baba is as alive as ever, because I don't identify Sai Baba with His body.

Sai Baba still appears to me, so I know He is not the body
My belief changed into knowing.
That proves to me the "Power of belief"

So when we Love Baha'u'llah, Baha'u'llah means "Glory of God", being Lovers of the "Glory of God" means lovers of the attributes of all Messengers, thus far less restricted
Lovely, how the Teachings of Bahaullah and Sai Baba are so similar. Makes it much easier for me to see "unity in diversity", and "One God instead of different Gods".

I rather not try to find differences. I always look for similarities. Gives so much more satisfaction.

stvdv

The Bible is true and the Lord Jesus exists because the Old Testament (the Jewish Bible) was written down as Judaism was being practiced 400+ years before the Lord Jesus walked the Earth.
For me:
"Lord Jesus exists even now, because He appeared to me"

And now that I know that Jesus exists, I can believe Jesus existed 2000+ years ago

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK. You find more value there than I do. I still don't have a sense for what you do with that information or why you call it valuable to you.
As a language for a spiritual philosophy for living. As ways to shift my modes of thinking to align with principles that I inuit as truth, yet are hard to arrive at using the normal modes of reasoning my way beyond my own reasoning. Think of that like talking to a therapist. Sometimes you have to have a different perspective that others bring in, that allows you to shift your own thinking away from its own feedback loop system. This is true of any teachers that help you get unstuck.

But I think it's probably mostly for finding a language for myself to express what I both intuit and experience. That's the same in finding philosophical points of view to express what you already know, but have a hard time putting into words. Except instead of being about rational thought and observation, its far more about interior subjective states and conditions of being.

This arrangement has been likened to a horse and rider, the bristling horse representing the irrational passions (affect) and the rider being the rational (cognitive) element that manages directs them. Which of the two of these makes life worth living? It's both working in tandem. No rider, and one lives fast and dies young foolishly or winds up in prison or physically broken, hurting himself and others along the way for his mindlessness. No horse, and the rider just rolls over and dies. The absence of passion - whether boredom or the anhedonia of major depression - is often followed by a lack of will to live, and in extreme cases, suicide.
I agree with all of this. Other analogies I like is the sailboat on the lake. The wind in the sails is where "spirit" inspires the subjective self, the boat, but it is the rudder or the mind of reason that can help direct and steady its course. Otherwise the boat either just spins in place of could capsize. But the rudder with no wind in the sail, just flapping it back and forth using only itself to move the boat ahead, is an exercise in futility. It cannot reason itself beyond itself in other words.

This is the mental state many "soft thinkers" - the people who implore others to loosen their myopic criteria for belief - envision for the strict empiricist, who tells his critic that he leaves the passions out of his analysis of how things are. This person hears that he leaves the passions out of his life experience. Here that is in its extreme form - atheists have no more inner life than a Roomba mindlessly bumping into walls:

View attachment 71739
Of course I think the generalization of Deepak Chopra here is extreme. It's tantamount to saying all theists are "soft thinkers", or don't use critical reasoning, or use faith instead of logic, and so forth. There are plenty of atheists who are not divorced from their own subjective natures, who in fact may be deeply spiritual as well.

I find that generalization of using reason as the supreme or ultimate key to finding all truth, is not something that defines atheism. It is also found in large swaths of theism as well! What they are calling "faith" is really just them choosing to rely on the reasoning of others. It's still a reliance on reason, and not developing their own interior subjective, intuitive sense. They outright claim it should not be trusted! They claim you should rely on religious teachings instead as authoritative. And then this exact same thing in found in large swaths of modern-day atheism as well. Any references to the subjective, are blasted out of the water as unreliable, and that you can only trust the evidence from science.

I've said it countless times, this is simply the flipside of the exact same coin. It has nothing to do with being a critical thinker, nor anything to do with being "one of the faithful". As the saying goes, you can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out for the boy. It's the same mode of reasoning, in just different belief systems or worldviews. Religion or atheism isn't the problem. It's that mode of thinking, that mode of domain absolutism that is. They both share that same domain absolutism in common, regardless of what their objects of belief may be.

Balance is what I advocate for. As strong as my intellect may be. As critical as my analytical mind may be, and it is that. My intuitive, spiritual, subjective faculties should equal. If you are all reason and no spirit, you are out of balance or "myopic". If you are all spirit and no reason, you too are 'myopic, and unbalanced.

OK, but what's your point? The commonest motive behind arguments like these is that God is real despite being undetectable. Most commonly, we are asked if one can hold or weigh love. If that's where we're going, my answer is that abstractions derived from experience are different from imagined ideas that often have no external referent. Both are ideas, but one is empirically based, and the other faith-based.
It's not exactly that. While apologists may co-opt a few of these concepts to attempt to defend their beliefs that these concepts don't exactly support, there may be some truth there. But I'm sure how I'm seeing it would rattle their cages and they could not relate their way of believing to this. Don't be surprise if there may be some overlap, coincidentally.

Let's tackle the easy one about "love" first of all. Your response that, "abstractions derived from experience are different from imagined ideas that often have no external referent", is entirely valid, if all they have are ideas about God in their minds, or beliefs. But if someone has experience of something that is beyond normal human emotions into something transcendent, something ineffable or beyond being able to put into words, then that is something different. There is a referent. Words such as "transcendent", or "ineffable", or Absolute, are not theoretical ideas. They are exactly "derived from experience", or to use your favorite word, they are empirical in nature.

Not all "believers" have that kind of experience. The nature of their experience typically is the experience of their beliefs. And that is quite a different thing from experiences that are beyond beliefs. So the argument about being like Love is not something you can say has no referent. That referent exists, and it is subjective referent, like love is.

But now to the more complex question, which is relating "God" to the fiction of the State:

First, your original question was from post, #104,

"Why depict one's superman deity this way? Why make that six-day work week with a one-day weekend a model for man, who is commanded to imitate it? Why put a timeline into a creation myth at all?"
To explain the answer to this, first understand that God is more than just one thing to humans. While I mentioned "God is Love", as a real actual referent to a subjective experience of the ineffable or the transcendent, God is also as social construct outside and beyond that. When a group collectively speak of their deity form, their god, it plays a function for them as a collective expression of the will of the people.

I like to express it this way in the context of a social God. "In the beginning man created God in his own image, so God could create man in His.". It's a feedback loop system, a self-amplifying system. The modern idea of the State, is functioning the same way. We create a mythology of what it is to be a "model citizen", and those that pledge allegiance to the flag of that State or nation, are agreeing with that created image. And by aligning oneself to that standard, or ideal, it will mold and shape that individual into its image.

So God, in the context of that Day of Rest law of Hebrew society, is given context in the stories of their deity as the "lawgiver", which is the priestly class, using a system of myths as the image or story of the people, their identities as the "chosen ones", the people of Yahweh. And as just, it now has actual, physical manifestation in its infrastructures supporting that ideal, or that "fiction".

Now, is that process wholly just man's creation? Well, one could look deeply enough beyond just the mechanics of how that happened to "why" it happens at all, and probably find that "mustard seed" that is the human spirit reaching for the Divine. That's what I'd see in all our systems we come up with of nobel intent, and what I personally see as driving the whole of evolution itself. But that's going way deep beyond this question.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've noticed a trend in theistic thought to modify gods in the way you are suggesting that is essentially returning them to symbols of nature where they began.
I don't want to speak for all others here, but for me, this is not modifying them. It's seeing a deeper understanding of them, while respecting the how and why others see them in context of the different ways they do. But to clarify, I'm am not saying they are merely "symbols of nature where they began". I think it's a lot deeper than that.

Early humans may have attributed the Great Mystery to nature in animistic systems, but that went beyond just this mistaken modernist idea that they were just trying to explain nature using gods instead of good scientific tools which they lacked. That's really a wrongheaded idea about it.

Seeing the Divine in nature, is seeing the Mystery, which engages the whole self, not just the curious rational mind. It's that sense of connection of the whole, not just "what makes it rain" level of questions. So it's not must a symbol of nature, but rather the Mystery of existence itself in everything.

The first order of business is to reinject the sacred into nature.
This actually what moving beyond Modernity hopes to do, because the negative side of modernity is to gut the Mystery of existence by offering "rational" explanations for everything. That premodern religions can recognize this is because they still have the Mystery in their mythic systems. But postmodern can recognize this too, and that is exactly what postmodern does is asking modernity, "are you so sure of yourself??" Rightly so.

Seeing the Mystery in existence, is not a feature of premodern, prerational unscientific minds. It's the feature of humanity itself. That there are those, like me who are post mythic, postmodern, and post-postmodern, who recognize the need to do this for many, it's is like the saying, if everyone says you have a tail, you should maybe turn around and look. ;)

The Abrahamic religions have turned it into a person with messages and orders that doesn't even live in our world, has a big torture pit ready for rebels, and intends to destroy our world. What we are seeing is more and more that God is not a person, but a principle or a source.
One can easily point to those in history who have been Christians and Jews who have seen God is not a "person" in the sense that a mythic-literal believer's imagination sees God. This is nothing new. It's a developmental thing however, and it is nothing new today. It's a matter of depth and maturity.

"Person" is a theological term, which the average church-goer imagines like another human being. That's just a matter of perception. It's rather like those who imagine the world is nothing but physics, actually. Quite concrete-literal.

There is a tendency to go from the Abrahamic religions to the pagan or Dharmic alternatives.
I think a better way to put it is that the insights of the East, can help Christians of the West look at their own religious teachings and traditions in a different light. If Christians, like here on RF leave Christianity for these, that's not a huge surprise since many of these churches folks here have left are fundamentalist.

For me personally, I'd call myself more "dharmically informed". But my views of the Divine have always run into these mythic-literal interpretations of the Christian faith. To be fair, you can find that in Dharmic religions as well. It's really the person where they are at and how they see things, than a problem with the religious system itself.

InChrist

Free4ever
Not even if He comes like a thief in the night.?

What is the point of telling us to watch and pray if we cannot miss Him?.
You bring up a good point/question and the importance of rightly dividing the scriptures.

There are scriptures, as you pointed out, about watching and praying because Jesus comes as a thief in the night; unexpected.

Then there are those which state He will come in all His glory after all kinds of signs and world disasters to save the earth from destruction; every eye shall see Him (Revelation 1:7).
I am of the view that the unexpected first coming of Christ will be to call all believers/His church/bride to Himself before the final 7 year tribulation period on the earth. Christ does not set foot on earth at this point, but calls His Bride up to meet Him in the clouds (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, 5:1-6), takes all believers to heaven where the marriage supper of the Lamb takes place ( Revelation 19:7-9).
When Christ returns to save the planet, the nation of Israel from destruction by the nation’s armies led by the antichrist, and to rule and reign everyone will see and know He has come.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
It sounds like you are defining "Christ" as a station. In the Bible the Christ is a person, Jesus, and the return of Christ is the return of that person.
How do you get the "return of Christ" to be a different person?
All good stuff. But it's amazing that the Baha'is say that all religions are one, yet your religion and your beliefs are wrong. On this question, I agree with you, for a Christian Jesus is The Messiah, or The Christ. And I don't know where Jews were expecting several "The Messiahs" which would include Jesus, Muhammad, the Bab and Baha'u'llah. Maybe it's true, but it's not something that can be easily proven using the NT and the Hebrew Bible. Of course, they believe they have a "divine" interpreter.

We also must have misread what Jesus would do and how He could return and that it was going to be the same Jesus who returns etc.
We know that a great tribulation is supposed to happen. For Baha'is, what was that? And when did it happen? Things are in many ways worse now, and it seems like it is now that we are heading to a great tribulation. But for the Baha'i, Christ has already come and gone.

They aren't in complete unity from what we know of what they taught.
That is obvious to anyone that studies religions. But Baha'is still have a way to make the "essence" of all the major religions one.

You and I actually don't agree about Jesus and who He is or about the gospel message.
They are not onboard with the "gospel" the message of salvation... They disagree with the Christian belief in Satan. They disagree with the resurrection, but I've never heard how they interpret the empty tomb? They say the physical body of Jesus is dead and that his spirit rose. Fine, why then wasn't the dead body still in the tomb?

Actually it is the Lamb who opens the scroll and it's seals, so I guess the Lamb is the Lion of Judah. And do you know that Revelation is not a sealed book according to Revelation.(Rev 22:10)
The Lamb, the Lamb that was slain, the Lion of Judah... to read Revelation in context it sure sounds like Jesus. But Baha'is try to say the Lamb that was slain is the Bab. But the Bab is very insignificant. Even Baha'is barely mention him. Yet, in Revelation the Lamb is the main character. The best thing that Baha'is have going for them is the "new" name. But then this "new" name is nothing more than a title that a man picked for himself, or at best some others gave to him? Does that count for actually fulfilling prophecy? He takes the title "The Glory of God" and then says, "See my name is all over the Bible" Well that's great. But he is supposed to be the fulfillment of several other people. Is he Kalki or Maitreya? Too many reasons for me to question them and their beliefs, but there is never a good answer.

Brian2

Veteran Member
We know that a great tribulation is supposed to happen. For Baha'is, what was that? And when did it happen? Things are in many ways worse now, and it seems like it is now that we are heading to a great tribulation. But for the Baha'i, Christ has already come and gone.

I think they say that the tribulation is going to happen after Jesus/Baha'u'llah returns.

That is obvious to anyone that studies religions. But Baha'is still have a way to make the "essence" of all the major religions one.

Interestingly that seems to be a major draw card for Baha'i even if logically false.

They are not onboard with the "gospel" the message of salvation... They disagree with the Christian belief in Satan. They disagree with the resurrection, but I've never heard how they interpret the empty tomb? They say the physical body of Jesus is dead and that his spirit rose. Fine, why then wasn't the dead body still in the tomb?

I imagine they say either that the gospel story is wrong or that the body was used just to convince the disciple that He had risen, and then discarded somehow.

The Lamb, the Lamb that was slain, the Lion of Judah... to read Revelation in context it sure sounds like Jesus. But Baha'is try to say the Lamb that was slain is the Bab. But the Bab is very insignificant. Even Baha'is barely mention him. Yet, in Revelation the Lamb is the main character. The best thing that Baha'is have going for them is the "new" name. But then this "new" name is nothing more than a title that a man picked for himself, or at best some others gave to him? Does that count for actually fulfilling prophecy? He takes the title "The Glory of God" and then says, "See my name is all over the Bible" Well that's great. But he is supposed to be the fulfillment of several other people. Is he Kalki or Maitreya? Too many reasons for me to question them and their beliefs, but there is never a good answer.

A new name does not mean a different person.
It is amazing how many titles that Baha'u'llah has given himself, and I suppose they are all titles of whom he claims to be from various religions.
It gets ridiculous when he claims to be the both the one like the Son of Man AND The Ancient of Days in Daniel 7:13,14.
And yes it is plain that the Lamb is Jesus in the Bible. In Baha'i Rev 5 shows the Lion (Baha'u'llah) can open the scroll but Rev 5 goes on to say that the Lamb (the Bab) opens the scroll.
There is nothing in depth in what they say about the Bible. It does not stand up to scrutiny, it is no more than a belief in what Baha'u'llah said even if it is blatant rubbish and lies when examined.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
You believe Baha'u'llah is the true one because that is what Baha'i teaches.
Where does it say that only the True One can unseal the meaning?
Why is it the Lamb who opens the seals and not the Lion if they are different people?

Jesus did use symbolic language in His parables and teachings at times yes.
Yes I don't think that all humans that have lived will see Him as He returns, the resurrection does not take place until later.
You say you fully accept the Bible but not literally.
How does that work with for example the following passage without just plainly denying what is written?
I know that Baha'u'llah says that "in the clouds" is not literal even though the disciples saw Jesus ascend and then disappear into the clouds. How about the rest of what the angel said?

Acts 1:9 After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.
10 They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 11 “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”

You too believe Christ is true because of the Bible. Revelation states that no man on earth or heaven can unseal the Books.

Baha’is believe that the Lion of the Tribe of Judah, the Root of David is Baha’u’llah because He was descended from David through his father Jesse and also a descendant of Abraham through His wife Keturah.

The Lamb as if it was slain we believe to be the Bab Who was a Manifestation of God and Herald of Baha’u’llah- Christ returned in the station of the Father. It was the Bab Who first broke the seals by mentioning that the New Name was Baha’u’llah and when Baha’u’llah appeared He further unsealed the meanings of the Bible in numerous Tablets and His Book of Certitude.

A very similar event happened and is recorded in the Bible but in much more detail.

Matthew chapter 17

1 After six days Jesus took with Him Peter, James, and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2 There He was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and His clothes became as white as the light.
3 Suddenly Moses and Elijah appeared before them,
talking with Jesus. 4 Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here. If You wish, I will put up three shelters —one for You, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”
5 While Peter was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Listen to Him!” 6 When the disciples heard this, they fell facedown in terror.
7 Then Jesus came over and touched them. “Get up,” He said. “Do not be afraid.” 8 And when they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus.

9 As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus commanded them, “Do not tell anyone about this vision until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.”

It was a vision. Christ said so. Many such events in the Bible are visions like the transfiguration.

This is the Baha’i explanation which supports exactly what Christ said - that it was a vision.

Thou didst ask as to the transfiguration of Jesus, with Moses and Elias and the Heavenly Father on Mount Tabor, as referred to in the Bible. This occurrence was perceived by the disciples with their inner eye, wherefore it was a secret hidden away, and was a spiritual discovery of theirs. Otherwise, if the intent be that they witnessed physical forms, that is, witnessed that transfiguration with their outward eyes, then there were many others at hand on that plain and mountain, and why did they fail to behold it? And why did the Lord charge them that they should tell no man? It is clear that this was a spiritual vision and a scene of the Kingdom. Wherefore did the Messiah bid them to keep this hidden, `till the Son of Man were risen from the dead,'that is, until the Cause of God should be exalted, and the Word of God prevail, and the reality of Christ rise up. (Baha’i Writings)