• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians- How do you know Jesus and the Bible are true?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Christians today have never met Jesus physically yet believe in Him. Why?

If you say you believe in Christ because of the Bible then how do you know the Bible is true?

How do you know Christ and the Bible are true?

What makes you so sure?

Psalm23

If you say you believe in Christ because of the Bible then how do you know the Bible is true?

What makes you so sure?

I believed in Jesus as a young child and so initially believed solely because of faith in what I was taught. Later on I have looked into apologetics matter. I have heard some stories of how Jesus has worked in the modern world such as through miracles/ healing/ exorcism stories. Some of these stories came from people I knew . I have had a personal experience when I was prayed over to be filled with the Holy Spirit. I cannot comprehend how it could have been a natural phenomena. A supernatural explanation simply makes more sense to me. Through this, my faith in Christ has been bolstered.

Brian2

Veteran Member

What makes you so sure?

There is a lot of talk on this forum about evidence and what is and what is not evidence,,,,,,,,,,,,,, especially by atheists and skeptics. It is possible to get so tangled up in what they say and their demand for what they call good evidence that you can start believing they are right and that it is only their sort of evidence that is valid and anything else is not evidence but are claims that need evidence. But that is the road they have gone down and I would not be surprised if it was chosen because they know from the start that it does not lead to faith in God.
For believers faith in God is what is important, it is up there with hope and love. It is good to have rational reasons and evidence for our faith but it is not absolutely necessary. We are people of faith.
Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 2 This is what the ancients were commended for.
That does not mean that we should believe when it has been shown to us that our beliefs are wrong.
We usually do struggle to hold on to our beliefs and not just give them up lightly.
It is amazing how God can supply us with answers we need to keep believing if we keep seeking even as a believer over the years.
Anyway here is an interesting video by Jordan Peterson about how he sees the Bible. It is hard to follow but I think it is worth it to stick with it to the end.

exchemist

Veteran Member

What makes you so sure?
Many are unsure, or at least have an element of doubt, but hope their faith is true. And it is not all just based on the bible. That is only true of sola scriptura Protestants. As for the bible being "true", there are a lot of different senses in which that can be taken.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you

What makes you so sure?

I know the spiritual message in the Bible to be true because when I live in accordance with its teachings and follow the example of Christ, I experience what it says that I will experience.

I do think that it is important to emphasise though, that this does not in any way mean that other spiritual scripture is not true.

Humbly,
Hermit

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
IF you have seen Jesus THEN you have seen the Father. IF you have seen the Father THEN you have seen Jesus

Sai Baba is the Father, hence I have seen Jesus, hence I know

stvdv

I know Christ is true by direct personal experience and also because Sai Baba told us this in person (Though He did mention that a few errors crept in in the past 2 millennia).

PureX

Veteran Member

What makes you so sure?
It's not about knowing anything is true. It's about trusting in what it means to us (faith)

What makes you so sure?

My reason is the Bible. And I believe it is correct because:
1) It is more difficult for me to believe we would have the Bible, if it is not true.
- I think people are too evil and stupid to make it just on their own.
- I don't believe people would have made up it, if it is not true, when they were persecuted and possibly even killed.
2) By what I see, things go as told in the Bible.
3) Bible has good teaching of what is good and right.
4) Bible tells the truth about people.
5) It is the only hope of that good will win in the end.

But, I think Bible has several levels. It is about history, but mainly about good and right. And it tells we should love others as ourselves. I think that is the main thing in the Bible. And in my opinion it is not matter of belief, but understanding. I understand it is good and right and that is why I want to live accordingly. Everything else is secondary to that, in my opinion. I don't think it matters if one believes God is real, if he doesn't understand correctly what is good and right. And also, if one doesn't believe God is real, but thinks it is good and right to love others as told in the Bible, the disbelief is not a problem.

stvdv

First off:
It needs more than Bible errors to shake my knowledge nor my confidence

Secondly:
Reading the Bible is the first step. The Bible, or any Scripture for that matter, points us in the right direction. After that it's upto us how deep we are willing to dive into the sea of Consciousnous to "find the pearl ourselves"

I see errors not as problems. I see errors as opportunities to be tested whether our Faith is blind or not, and a wonderful opportunity to use our common sense and discrimination

SO

I know the essence of the Bible is true

AND

I've no problem that some occasional dots and commas might be misplaced or wrong in the many translations of the Bible

BECAUSE

I focus on the bigger picture, which is true

samtonga43

Can you explain what you mean by ‘believe in Him’?
Do I believe that he was…
a) a good man?
b) a prophet?
c) the Messiah?
d) the Second Person of the Trinity?
e) Savior?

f) that He existed?
The Bible is not one book. It is a collection of books, each with its own different types of biblical hermeneutics.

There are some who believe that in the beginning there was an actual serpent, and an actual piece of fruit

There are some who believe that if we come to Jesus we must hate our mothers and fathers, wife and children, brothers and sisters.

There are some who believe that prayer can move a literal mountain.

Context is King.
What makes you so sure?
I don’t ‘know’ in the sense that I know that 2+2 (or any other axiom).
I’m not ‘sure’ in the sense that I’m sure there are no married bachelors.
But I believe that Christ is the Son of God, my Saviour, my Redeemer, the Second Person of the Trinity.

Brian2

Veteran Member
IF you have seen Jesus THEN you have seen the Father. IF you have seen the Father THEN you have seen Jesus

Sai Baba is the Father, hence I have seen Jesus, hence I know

You cannot get to the Father but through the Jesus (John 14:6)

SDavis

What makes you so sure?

There is a thing that humans call gut feeling - my gut feeling has told me since I first heard of him as a child that he was there and he loved me. Events in my lifetime since my childhood through most of my adulthood had convinced me of that.

Scripture says his Spirit dwells within us - what old folks used to call the holy Ghost - and it is up to us just accept the truth of the Spirit or deny it and those that deny the truth of his spirit, his spirit will depart from them.

Tacitus 56 / 120 AD _ a Roman senator and historian wrote in his annals of Christus. Christus is the Greek name given Jesus (which is an English name), whose Hebrew name was Yeshua.
He wrote briefly of the horrendous death Christus suffered at the governor Pontius Pilate and he wrote much of the followers of Christus which he called Christians.
I didn't learn of this until late adulthood. But with or without that information my gut feeling told me he is there and he's watching. Pliny the Younger, Josephus, and there is another set of people I read about that wrote of Christ - can't bring it to mind at the moment.
So for these people to write about Christus and Christians, Jesus walked the Earth. One should assume Jesus performed miracles that the Romans most likely witnessed, because Jerusalem was fully occupied and controlled by the Romans at that time. The Romans as well had to witness his disciples and Paul performing miracles - the Romans stopped with all the false gods they had and became followers of Christ _ still mainly is.

There are no original manuscripts of either the Old or New Testament _ even the Dead Sea scrolls are dated back to just over 2,000 years ago. But these people witnessed something and wrote of it and those writings passed down / copied from generation to generation.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believed in Jesus as a young child and so initially believed solely because of faith in what I was taught. Later on I have looked into apologetics matter. I have heard some stories of how Jesus has worked in the modern world such as through miracles/ healing/ exorcism stories. Some of these stories came from people I knew . I have had a personal experience when I was prayed over to be filled with the Holy Spirit. I cannot comprehend how it could have been a natural phenomena. A supernatural explanation simply makes more sense to me. Through this, my faith in Christ has been bolstered.
Are any of these unique to Christianity?