• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians- How do you know Jesus and the Bible are true?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I don’t believe many modern Christians do this. I’ve certainly never heard any Christian say followers of other religions are ‘deceived by Satan’. But then, I don’t live in America and I don’t know many evangelicals.

It’s usually the traditionalist. But I have seen a shift in attitude over the decades notably I think when Pope Francis kissed a Quran. Many Catholics were shocked, some called him a fraud but he was trying to create a bridge of love between people. After all Christ taught to love not to be prejudiced.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Describe this spiritual encounter. What makes it valid?

Spiritual encounters cannot be accurately described in words and passed on to another in that sense. But I’d say that what makes them valid is the extreme life-altering, (positive) changes they have on those who experience them and on those who share their lives.

And this is how one “passes on” the insights of spiritual encounters to others - by one’s altered perspective and new ways of interacting with one’s fellow beings.

Humbly,
Hermit

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Spiritual encounters cannot be accurately described in words and passed on to another in that sense. But I’d say that what makes them valid is the extreme life-altering, (positive) changes they have on those who experience them and on those who share their lives.

And this is how one “passes on” the insights of spiritual encounters to others - by one’s altered perspective and new ways of interacting with one’s fellow beings.

Humbly,
Hermit

Beautiful reply! I’ve always maintained that it’s the transformative effect in the character of both people and society that validates these things.

Brian2

Veteran Member
:cool:
Yes, then it might be appropriate if my reply felt "tongue in cheek". My excuse for not being clear and gave you that feeling, and thanks for letting me know

I was sincere though, as Sai Baba did make quite some claims, bigger than Jesus even. And I have full Faith in Him. Therefore also in Jesus, as Sai Baba did declare that Jesus realized that He and the Father are one. So, no tongue in cheek from me whatsoever. Just my believe:)

What is so special about Sai Baba that you follow what he taught?

Brian2

Veteran Member
Yes, I know that they think they have the correct, symbolic, interpretation of the Bible and NT, but to me, it's just a convenient way to say they believe in the Bible, but then interpret it in a way that makes them the true and correct religion.

I have my doubts about the stories in the Bible also, but I don't reinterpret them to fit my beliefs and then call Christians wrong in the way they interpret it. Your Christian beliefs maybe true. If so, the Baha'i Faith is not true. If the Baha'i Faith is true, then most every Christian sect has interpreted the Bible wrong, especially those that believe Jesus is God and that he rose physically from the dead.

You seem sure but unsure about Baha'i at the same time.

But we have all sorts of ancient books and writings. By this criterion you'd have to consider The Vedas, The Tibetan Book of the Dead and The Epic of Gilgamesh correct, as well. No?

I think it depends on what is said. Usually books have many things and I don't think those can be called totally correct or totally wrong. We should go them through entirely, part by part, and then I could say what is not correct and explain why. So, could you give one example of those books, what they say, then I can tell is it correct or not and why.

But you could say that about almost any religion's scripture, couldn't you? Many religions have experienced persecution, yet persisted.
Have you read the Bible? It's full of factual errors and contradictions.

I don't think there is any other religion that was developed while the "developers" were persecuted and the leader murdered. It is different thing if they are later persecuted, after it is already developed and have existed long time.

I have read it and I have not seen any real contradiction in it. And I don't think it has errors. Some later translations may be less accurate, have one number wrong, but I wouldn't count that as an error in the Bible. Small mistake in modern translation doesn't make "original" Bible erroneous.

Hasn't it been used to justify all manner of evil and strife for centuries? Isn't God always on everyone's side?

I have no reason to think so.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
What is so special about Sai Baba that you follow what he taught?
When I was 10, I told my mother "if Jesus is on earth, I will go there and meet Him". It seems I was destined to meet Sai Baba.

You (and I) know what is so special about Jesus, that you follow what He Teaches.

Sai Baba is as special to me, as Jesus is to you (and me). The main difference is that I now have been able to experience it first hand

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are wonderful Christians who I deeply admire and respect. But isn’t it possible for a spiritual person with no religion or a Hindu, Buddhist or Muslim to all have found truth?
Absolutely true. I found God before I found religion. Even within the Christian scriptural texts themselves you see a recognition of those who are outside the "right religion", as having more spiritual awareness and openness than those within it. Jesus said of the pagan Roman centurion, "Greater faith have I never seen in all of Israel!".

Paul recognizes that many "Gentiles" have the law written on their hearts, without the need for scriptures or "the bible" as Christians recognize it in their religious beliefs and practices (Romans 2:15). I constantly point to what Jesus said that "by their fruits you shall know them", not by their beliefs and doctrinal views.

I like to put it this way. "What religion is God? I want to follow that one". Meaning, God transcends religions, yet may be found in all of them. Wisdom is Wisdom is Wisdom. Truth is Truth is Truth. It doesn't live in only the libraries of the one religion you might have just happened to join or be born into. Such a view is from the ego's perspective, not the Spirit's.

This is the age to get rid of once and for all the attitude that any race, religion or nationality is superior to another.
I believe that was the original intent of Christianity, before it was turned into a religion itself of "us vs. them". Humans are humans and will do what humans do with any higher truth. They make it fit where they are at in the humanness, rather than transcending their egos and those boundaries that divide themselves from others in the saved and unsaved camps, the chosen ones and the lost.

Spiritual insights becomes weaponized in the hands of the ego. That is what religions are particularly vulnerable to. The ego. It's like children with samurai swords.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
for being a book of history and science, it can be considered suspect or disqualified. But does that therefore disqualify it for everything else then? If so, then how does that follow exactly?

The argument is that the errors and contradictions tell us that the authors were not reliable and not informed exclusively (if at all) by a transcendent prescience.

I think we've had this discussion about myths before. Others praise myths as being valuable vehicles for transmitting cultural values, but to me, that's how you teach children - with fables with moral points about crying wolf or the cost of being lazy. I may have heard them in stories first, but learning and wisdom come from understanding experience. Also, a chief value these myths teach is that man's troubles are the result of his sinful nature and punishment from God, that he is born spiritually defective. That's why he was cast from the garden, subjected to a near-sterilizing flood event, saw large cities destroyed, and confounded with mutually unintelligible languages. He deserved it for sinning.

I can't find a single reason to open a Bible except to quote it in these discussions. In addition to its history, science, and life lessons (myths, proverbs), I find no value in its moral code, its genealogies, or it's poetry. The greatest value of the Christian Bible to me is in the comparison of the two testaments which is a record of the evolution of its god from the angry, smiting strongman to the gentle pacificist, as well as a snapshot of what life was like then and how the moral code reflected their needs. But I've already done that, so there's nothing there for me any longer.

Are truthful allegorical stories about human nature and spiritual life dependent upon an accurate scientific understanding of cosmology and earth history? Nobody before the scientific revolution 300 years ago knew anything about being human?

Nobody from the past knew what it would be like to be human now. I find the life advice from the Bible to be either flawed or trivially self-evident. Consider the Ten Commandments. Obey the Sabbath is meaningless now, and don't kill or steal is something most of us don't need to be told and the rest don't hear.

That all depends on what idea of God you are holding in your mind, doesn't it?

My idea of any deity is that of the theist with whom I am conversing. For some, that is just the laws of nature or whatever is the source of the universe even if that isn't sentient. For others, it's a supernatural intelligent designer that one can talk to, often with orders for us to obey. My definition of a religion is a worldview featuring a god who is just that - a supernatural intelligent designer that can design and create universes. If that's not what a given self-identifying theist believes, then he's not really a theist to me.

It is completely detectable using your own being to do so. It's really simply a matter of opening the eyes. It's not some nebulous object in space like "dark matter" which is hard to detect. It's everything that exists, but is simply not seen because we disallow ourselves from seeing it. It's that tree. It's that child. It's that cloud. It's the entire universe. It's you. But do you see it as that?

It's everything that exists? I don't call that god. And when you say that we can't see it unless we allow ourselves to, that's a red flag to me. It says to me that I need to relax my standards for belief in order to see the truth and believe this idea. Those standards are chosen to minimize holding false beliefs. Also, there's the matter of the effect this type of thinking has on people. They claim to have hidden truths because they see further, but I think you know how it goes when one asks them to share some of this insight and to explain how it has helped their lives and would help those who they consider blind or myopic. It turns out this other way of knowing reveals nothing that deserves to be called truth as I use the word - just intuitions that seem to comfort some and appear to fulfill a need that unbelievers apparently don't have.

Usually books have many things and I don't think those can be called totally correct or totally wrong. We should go them through entirely, part by part, and then I could say what is not correct and explain why.

Does that apply to the Bible as well? If so, what are the criteria for rejecting some of it and accepting the rest? My criteria are those of critical thought. By those standards, anything based in the assumption that a god exists is unsound. How much is left after excising that which cannot be true unless this god exists?

I don't think there is any other religion that was developed while the "developers" were persecuted and the leader murdered. It is different thing if they are later persecuted, after it is already developed and have existed long time.

Why do you think that affirms the correctness of Christianity and the existence of its god? Persecution doesn't generally drive people from their beliefs, especially when you teach them to expect it and even to see it as a badge of righteousness. People are commonly willingly to die for a cause they support, including a country or another life - even a stranger if one is heroic.

I have read it and I have not seen any real contradiction in it. And I don't think it has errors.

What do you say to somebody who has found errors and contradictions? What explanation do you offer for why they see something you don't? Are they delusional?

If people of faith chose their belief by choosing from a hat, one out of millions of other possible beliefs, then chance might have something to do with it and what you said might make some sense.

How is the way they choose their religious beliefs different from choosing from a hat? For most, the choice is an accident of birth, but still an unexamined and insufficiently evidenced choice. Faith is untethered to the laws that govern the experience of nature (empiricism), and so there are tens of thousands of variations of Christianity alone. Go ahead and pick one, or one from some other religion. But there is only one periodic table of the elements. What's the difference? Religions can multiply without constraint because they are faith-based.

I’ve certainly never heard any Christian say followers of other religions are ‘deceived by Satan’. But then, I don’t live in America and I don’t know many evangelicals.

It's commonly heard from American evangelicals. That's how they frame reality - a cosmic battle between their god and a master demon. Everybody not with their god is in league with Satan:
"Whoever is not with me is against me" - Luke 11:23

Christians themselves admit that their belief comes down to a ‘subjective gut feeling’

And that is what they call evidence of a god even unto saying that they have met and know this god.

The Biblical scriptures have stood the test of time and continuous attack from skeptics

There will always be people willing to believe by faith, but no, the Bible has not withstood the criticism of skeptics among those who share the values of academia. Multiple passages have been falsified.

The Bible has more document evidence than almost any historical book

I don't know what that means, but there is evidence that confirms its historical (and scientific) errors. The global flood did not occur.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Christians today have never met Jesus physically yet believe in Him. Why?

If you say you believe in Christ because of the Bible then how do you know the Bible is true?

How do you know Christ and the Bible are true?

What makes you so sure?

I believe I have experience with God that backs up what the Bible says.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I consider that Christ’s moral teaching, as recorded in The Gospels, is impeccable. Everything else springs from there.

I believe we are not very good judges of morality. As the apostle Paul said, to test everything:
1Thess 5:21 but test everything; hold fast what is good.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe that would be subjective. I suppose objective would be the testimony of people I have known which also has value.
Subjective evidence is problematic, and testimony is, as well. Together I'd expect their unreliability to increase exponentially.