• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity vs Mythology

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
What about Buddhism and Hinduism ?

I was thinking more in terms of Greek, Nordic, aboriginal---basically western mythologies.

I kind of got the impression that that's what the OP had in mind as far as comparisons.

OmarKhayyam

More accurately perhaps, Christianity is A myth. As such it belongs to the class of literature called mythology.

Humanistheart

Can someone please explain why Abrahamic religions are or aren't the same as Mythology? The Abrahamic religions are based on the bible and/or other sacred writings which contain stories that have been handed down from generation to generation since the beginning of time. Mythology is based on sacred writings that contain stories that have been handed down from generation to generation since the beginning of time. I do not see the difference. If you feel that any Abrahamic religion is, for some reason, different from Mythology, please speak up. Oh, and "because it is true" or "because it is my faith" are not valid defenses. There is no more proof that God created the world than there is of it being created by Ptah or Zeus. Keep in mind that what tales were handed down and eventually written into your religion's bible or other sacred writings are not proof.

I think if a religion is still practiced it's not called mythology. That's the only difference I can think of.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I think if a religion is still practiced it's not called mythology. That's the only difference I can think of.
I am Wiccan, but in Wicca we often have different Deities that we worship. Who do I talk to to get the word Mythology dropped when dealing with the Ancient Egyptian Gods and Goddesses? They are who I worship and their myths are the scriptures that tell me about Them. That means the religion is still practiced.

Humanistheart

I am Wiccan, but in Wicca we often have different Deities that we worship. Who do I talk to to get the word Mythology dropped when dealing with the Ancient Egyptian Gods and Goddesses? They are who I worship and their myths are the scriptures that tell me about Them. That means the religion is still practiced.

A good question, wish I had a decent answer for that. Well, I can't help wondering how many people identify as wiccan and how many wiccans worship these egyptian gods? From what I've read numbers are the biggest factor. If you don't have the numbers your considered a cult, at least by the US government, you might be in a different country.

I also not that you use the word myths in discribing these dieties, which I find confusing. If you agree their simply myths, why would you possibly worship them? (Of course I don't know why anyone would humiliate themselves by worhiping anything, but that's neither here not there.)

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
A good question, wish I had a decent answer for that. Well, I can't help wondering how many people identify as wiccan and how many wiccans worship these egyptian gods? From what I've read numbers are the biggest factor. If you don't have the numbers your considered a cult, at least by the US government, you might be in a different country.

I also not that you use the word myths in discribing these dieties, which I find confusing. If you agree their simply myths, why would you possibly worship them? (Of course I don't know why anyone would humiliate themselves by worhiping anything, but that's neither here not there.)
I am in the United States and am guaranteed Freedom of Religion by the First Amendment. It says nothing about a majority rule. As far as me calling them myths...well there is nothing to say that the myths are true or false for sure, same as with the Abrahamic bible. The stories and legends are Myths. The Gods and Goddesses are as real to me as your God is to you. I believe Lord Anubis will guide me on judgment day.

Commoner

Headache
I am in the United States and am guaranteed Freedom of Religion by the First Amendment. It says nothing about a majority rule. As far as me calling them myths...well there is nothing to say that the myths are true or false for sure, same as with the Abrahamic bible. The stories and legends are Myths. The Gods and Goddesses are as real to me as your God is to you. I believe Lord Anubis will guide me on judgment day.

So...not at all? :D

Good, then we agree!

Humanistheart

While your free to practice anything you wish, a belief system isn't considered a religion, with full tax breaks and all that, until it reaches a certian number of believers, with regular attendance of the religions services.

And in reference to your 'your god' comment, I have no god, so that entire line is not apt (and technically no one does, as they do not exist.)

I stand by my original assertion that as long as there are people following a religion it's legends are not put in the mythic category. If millions of people start following the egyptian god's in a revised system that's not seen as a fad religion I'm sure the eyptian gods will be pulled from the mythic section.

Humanistheart

The Gods and Goddesses are as real to me as your God is to you. .

I beleive this is what he's reffering to. You say your gods are as real to you as mine is to me... as myself and commoner have no gods we must conclude from your statment that if yours are as real as ours, then by that you must mean they are not real to you at all.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
It was intended as a general statement in that my Gods and Goddesses are as real to me as anyone else's God is as real to them. I did name this thread "Christianity vs Mythology" not "Prove that any God is real". Sounds like you are debating the wrong topic here.

Humanistheart

It was intended as a general statement in that my Gods and Goddesses are as real to me as anyone else's God is as real to them. I did name this thread "Christianity vs Mythology" not "Prove that any God is real". Sounds like you are debating the wrong topic here.

Sounds like you're covering for your own poor choice in words.

Commoner

Headache

'Twas a joke! :)

But, what I would point out is that if you go by that logic, there are no myths. Well, you might be able to find something that nobody believes is real, but it would be quite a challenge. There are certainly religions that have, because of their popularity, undeservedly escaped the label of "myth". That's the real problem, I think. :)

Last edited:

dogsgod

"in that my Gods and Goddesses are as real to me as anyone else's God is as real to them."

What is the meaning of such a statement, that these Gods are only real to those that believe them to be?

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
It seems to me(only because this is what I personally seen) that the only reason why Christianity is seen as being different then Mythology is because those that follow it believe that because there Religion still has follows it is not a Religion.
Sadly many of them don't realize that those said religions(name those of pre-Christian European Paganism, and some others), still have followers. Yes of course we are no where near in numbers, nor do we follow them (100%) the same people did in the past but there are follow which mean they are a Religion, and at the same time they can all be Mythology too.
*This though is just my Opinion from what I have seen* ^_^ :pent: