• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity vs Mythology

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Can someone please explain why Abrahamic religions are or aren't the same as Mythology? The Abrahamic religions are based on the bible and/or other sacred writings which contain stories that have been handed down from generation to generation since the beginning of time. Mythology is based on sacred writings that contain stories that have been handed down from generation to generation since the beginning of time. I do not see the difference. If you feel that any Abrahamic religion is, for some reason, different from Mythology, please speak up. Oh, and "because it is true" or "because it is my faith" are not valid defenses. There is no more proof that God created the world than there is of it being created by Ptah or Zeus. Keep in mind that what tales were handed down and eventually written into your religion's bible or other sacred writings are not proof.

MSizer

MSizer
Christianity is based on mythology in every way, but it's participants don't agree, just like the egyptians 4000 years ago wouldn't have agreed that horus was a myth, or the muslims today don't agree that islam contains mythology.

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
Can someone please explain why Abrahamic religions are or aren't the same as Mythology?
There is mythology in Christianity, it is just that it is not accepted, as it would cause Christianity to loose it's uniqueness, and make it more like all other faiths.

When it looses it's uniqueness, they fear, their whole message of salvation becomes moot.

Troublemane

I almost converted a wiccan to christianity by accident once, by saying to her I thought the story of the "virgin birth" was really about the mystery of how life arose from inert matter. She decided against joining the church, but at least is now less antagonistic toward christians.

I believe if more christians accepted the possiblity that the message of their stories is more important than proving them to be factually correct, then maybe there would be less conflict between the faiths? Maybe someday. :angel2:

SHANMAC

I believe if more christians accepted the possiblity that the message of their stories is more important than proving them to be factually correct, then maybe there would be less conflict between the faiths? Maybe someday. :angel2:

I see your point and tend to agree with it; however, I have to say that offering proof of our "stories" often becomes a requirement by non-believers - especially on the RF. I, as a Christ Follower, do not approach a conversation with the intent to spew "proof" on anyone. Rather, I often feel attacked by others demanding that such proof be offered....and offered NOW.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I see your point and tend to agree with it; however, I have to say that offering proof of our "stories" often becomes a requirement by non-believers - especially on the RF. I, as a Christ Follower, do not approach a conversation with the intent to spew "proof" on anyone. Rather, I often feel attacked by others demanding that such proof be offered....and offered NOW.

The proof is often asked for because Christians seem to think their version of Mythology is so cut and dry believable over any other religion's version of Mythology. If you feel that strongly, prove it. If you can't prove it then believe what you want and let me believe what I want. Just because you think satin sheets are the best doesn't mean I am not allowed to like Egyptian cotton.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
What do you mean by mythology?
Mythology is a body of myths as the myths dealing with the gods, demigods, and legendary heroes of a particular people (taken from Websters online).

In layman's terms, Mythology is commonly used to describe the religions based on ancient myths. The most common would be Egyptian and Greek Mythology. Many other civilizations have their own versions though. My original question asks why these religions are referred to as Mythology yet the myths that tell the story of the Abrahamic religions are not called Mythology.

ellenjanuary

Mythology is a body of myths as the myths dealing with the gods, demigods, and legendary heroes of a particular people (taken from Websters online).

In layman's terms, Mythology is commonly used to describe the religions based on ancient myths. The most common would be Egyptian and Greek Mythology. Many other civilizations have their own versions though. My original question asks why these religions are referred to as Mythology yet the myths that tell the story of the Abrahamic religions are not called Mythology.
Perhaps you have answered your own question? Christians are not a particular people, and the religion is still active; yet it seems equally possible that since they have the majority, they make the rules.

SHANMAC

The proof is often asked for because Christians seem to think their version of Mythology is so cut and dry believable over any other religion's version of Mythology. If you feel that strongly, prove it. If you can't prove it then believe what you want and let me believe what I want. Just because you think satin sheets are the best doesn't mean I am not allowed to like Egyptian cotton.

Yeah, I hear what you are saying. However, it has been my experience in the recent past that simply discussing my beliefs as a Christ Follower inevitably results in a non-beleiver telling me to prove one thing or another. Both sides are guilty of doing this.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Perhaps you have answered your own question? Christians are not a particular people, and the religion is still active; yet it seems equally possible that since they have the majority, they make the rules.
That's the way I've noticed most people I discuss with use it.

Religions that have died out = mythology
Some people even include religions that have since been brought back/become more popular again/etc
Or: traditional story with a semi-religious perspective

If it's just "the explanation of why we're here" or whatever, then all religions would be mythology.

If one says "why are Abrahamic religions not considered mythology", then why not ask the same thing about the Dharmic religions? Or your (generic your) own spiritual path? What makes those different?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I thought we had Freedom of Religion secured by the First Amendment. It says nothing about a majority rule. As far as being active, I worship the Gods and Goddesses of ancient Egyptian Mythology. It doesn't get more active than that in my book.

Wannabe Yogi

Christianity is based on mythology in every way, but it's participants don't agree, just like the egyptians 4000 years ago wouldn't have agreed that horus was a myth,

Most ancient cultures understood the nature of mythology .

This reminds me of a story I heard years ago. Some Anthropologist in the early 1900s was studying an African tribe during a rite of passage. One of the members of the tribe was playing a musical instrument out of sight of the others. It had a strange other worldly sound. The intellegent westener said to the young group of children who were soon to become men you do know that so-and so is making that noise in the bushes. The leader of the tribe said what are you stupid. Of course all the adults know, now you ruined the ritual for all the kids.

It is only us who dont understand mythology. We think its just primitive science and history when it much more then that.

Frederick Nietzsche said that Art was greater the science. I believe it's part of what makes us all human. If this is true then Mythology is greater then science because it is the art of story telling that teaches us what it means to be human.

Last edited:

Mr Cheese

there are those that cling to their view being inerrant and the only valid one in all walks of life.

That is what occurs when we seek the map, not the territory.

Wannabe Yogi

Truth is not dictated by what the majority believes. The majority of Americans were against the civil rights movement in the early 1950s. It would have been wrong if the majority had there way and shut down the whole movement just because majority rules.

It should also be said that America is hemorrhaging christians at this point about 1% a year. When we are no longer a Christian country do you think it would be OK if the American public at large define Christians in some horrific manor... I don’t !!!

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
One major difference that I see is that in the Abrahamic mythologies the central figures are teachers and holy men rather than warriors and adventurers, and they achieved this status by service to their God rather than in defiance of the gods, or through the culling of special favors from particular gods.

Wannabe Yogi

One major difference that I see is that in the Abrahamic mythologies the central figures are teachers and holy men rather than warriors and adventurers, and they achieved this status by service to their God rather than in defiance of the gods, or through the culling of special favors from particular gods.

What about Buddhism and Hinduism ?