• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity imposed on thousands - with no escape possible - and the reaction of those subjected

dust1n

Zindīq
I find Halloween kind of depressing. The celebration of darkness and evil. It's like Christmas and Easter combined for Satanists.

I don't know why you would say that, it stems from the Christian tradition of All Saints Day.

And how is Halloween like Christmas and Easter for Satanists? I've never seen any Satanist celebration on Halloween.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
No prob. I favor small gifts...ephemeral treats such as favored foods, cash (for kids). If I mess up, the cost & slight are small. I'm happy with just a card or a cookie.

Yeah, my birthday is this weekend, and I'm at the point where I don't really want anything. When people have asked, I just tell them to donate to a dog rescue group for me.

Smoke

Done here.
Yeah, my birthday is this weekend, and I'm at the point where I don't really want anything. When people have asked, I just tell them to donate to a dog rescue group for me.

We stopped buying Christmas presents for John's family two years ago, and stopped buying for my family and our friends last year. (Not a case of favoritism; we actually resisted when John's mother tried to put a stop to it three years ago.) When asked what we want for Christmas, we tell people we have too much stuff already, and are trying to dig out from under all this unnecessary clutter. We're always ready to accept cash or gift cards from Home Depot, Lowe's, Amazon, or restaurants, because we always have some kind of project going on in the house or the yard, books added to the Kindle don't increase clutter, and we can always use a night out. But we don't need more stuff.

We appreciate the thought, we really do. But I'm 50 and John's 45 and we've been accumulating unnecessary possessions for years. I recently found under the bed in the guest room -- we use every spare space for storage -- a neat little stack of the Christmas gifts I received three years ago, still in their original packaging. We have too much stuff. We still have about 30 or 40 videocassettes, for god's sake. The VCR is under that same bed; it hasn't been hooked up for ages. We just have too much stuff.

As matter of fact, I think I'll throw out those videocassettes today. And the empty 3-ring binders in the guest room closet can go today, too.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
We stopped buying Christmas presents for John's family two years ago, and stopped buying for my family and our friends last year. (Not a case of favoritism; we actually resisted when John's mother tried to put a stop to it three years ago.) When asked what we want for Christmas, we tell people we have too much stuff already, and are trying to dig out from under all this unnecessary clutter. We're always ready to accept cash or gift cards from Home Depot, Lowe's, Amazon, or restaurants, because we always have some kind of project going on in the house or the yard, books added to the Kindle don't increase clutter, and we can always use a night out. But we don't need more stuff.

We appreciate the thought, we really do. But I'm 50 and John's 45 and we've been accumulating unnecessary possessions for years. I recently found under the bed in the guest room -- we use every spare space for storage -- a neat little stack of the Christmas gifts I received three years ago, still in their original packaging. We have too much stuff. We still have about 30 or 40 videocassettes, for god's sake. The VCR is under that same bed; it hasn't been hooked up for ages. We just have too much stuff.

As matter of fact, I think I'll throw out those videocassettes today. And the empty 3-ring binders in the guest room closet can go today, too.

I hear you. We moved into our house a little over a year ago, and still don't have everything organized because we just have too much stuff. Not to play the blame game, but most of it is my wife's. I've tried to get rid of all my unnecessary stuff, although I probably haven't been completely successful.

My one thing is books. We love books, and we love going to the store to buy them. At some point I might get a Kindle or something, but there's just something about an actual book. Plus, some day, I'd like to have an actual library (room) in our future house with wall-to-wall books and a rolling ladder.

This is the first year I really just don't want anything (other than a speaker system for my TV). I really would rather people just donate to charity instead.

Smoke

Done here.
Plus, some day, I'd like to have an actual library (room) in our future house with wall-to-wall books and a rolling ladder.
I used to have that dream. But our office walls are covered with books everywhere there isn't a door or a window, and we've got shelves in the bedroom, the guest room, and the den, too. It's too much.

Now my dream is to be able to fit everything we own into an 8x12 box van.

I've told my oldest nephew that I'm impatient for him to finish graduate school and buy a house, because I can't bring myself to get rid of my grandmother's books, dishes, and furniture, and I'm waiting impatiently for the opportunity to dump them on him. I feel that I've been the family archivist and conservator long enough.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Our families have solved the Christmas gift thing by doing this:

Anyone over 21 is considered an adult. The adults all put our names in a hat and draw one. That is the one adult we buy a gift for, and the limit is set at $100 max. This usually translates into one nice gift - a beautiful book, a silk scarf, nice perfume, high quality jewelry, gift cards, a piece of art - something nice like that - for each adult rather than 15 pieces of cluttery junk, and everyone gets to open a gift,

Then we are able to focus on spoiling the kids at Christmas. With the kids, we also sort of take the same approach. All my grandbabies are under eight years old and are in two families (my daughters). So each year they choose something big - a backyard playset, a kitchen set, dollhouse, something along those lines, and the adults all contribute to that. So even the kids don't get piles of junk - they get one nice thing that they get to share.

This year we are buying them Playmobil sets. That stuff is fantastic! (Of course it is - it's made in Germany.) I'm buying each family the castle and then each child will get a mini set (dragon, knights, princess with unicorn, etc) so that they can start adding to it over the year.

PLAYMOBIL® Knights' Empire Castle

I can't wait!

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
As usual, mball - I understand what you're saying.

Come on, now. We both know that's not true. If it was, you wouldn't have made the comments you made that belie a lack of understanding of my points. But hey, tell yourself whatever you have to, I guess.

Midnight Pete

Christianity imposed on thousands - with no escape possible - and the reaction of those subjected

This thread sounds like it should be about the Spanish Inquisition and not some people bothered by Christmas music in a mall. GET SOME PERSPECTIVE!!

HonestJoe

This thread sounds like it should be about the Spanish Inquisition and not some people bothered by Christmas music in a mall. GET SOME PERSPECTIVE!!
Nobody expects Handel's Hallelujah Chorus. It's secret weapon is surprise. Surprise and non-existent offence. It's two secret weapons are surprise and non-existent offence. And sounding quite nice. Erm... among it's secret weapons are... :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ha, I found you out. I think you really like giving gifts, and you're just putting on this tough exterior to try to live up to your name.
When I go off the lithium, I undergo personality changes. It'll pass....& then, no faxed cookie.

Kathryn

Get a sense of humor. The OP title was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Call me overly optimistic, but I really did think that people would catch that when they saw the content of the OP.

MY BAD!

Kathryn

Nobody expects Handel's Hallelujah Chorus. It's secret weapon is surprise. Surprise and non-existent offence. It's two secret weapons are surprise and non-existent offence. And sounding quite nice. Erm... among it's secret weapons are... :)

Well, I won't give you a frubal, but I will give you kudos for that reference!

monty-python-spanish-inquisition.jpg

Midnight Pete

Get a sense of humor. The OP title was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Call me overly optimistic, but I really did think that people would catch that when they saw the content of the OP.

MY BAD!

This kind of thing really burns me. Whiners with no sense of perspective.