• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity and secular music (rock, in particular)

RevOxley_501

jmoum said:
I know. But I'm trying to be gentle and hint at things instead of being blunt and make accusations. No one's perfect and I can honestly see where Stimpy is coming from, even if I don't agree with her, so I'm not going to hold her beliefs on this matter against her. However, I do think it's important to help her understand the counter arguments, so that she may at least consider there is a possibility that she is wrong and try to better understand why she believes what she believes instead of just believe it blindly.

my approach is a bit more hostile, because i used to be just like her---and this is what it took for me!

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
I might shorten it to stimp, or 'the avatar formeley known as stimpy', what u think?
Off to work now, offices are waiting for me to clean ,joy!!!
Be back later guys............

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
stimpy said:
I might shorten it to stimp, or 'the avatar formeley known as stimpy', what u think?
Off to work now, offices are waiting for me to clean ,joy!!!
Be back later guys............

You totally missed the point.

But....truthfully I expected that.

RevOxley_501

MaddLlama said:
You totally missed the point.

But....truthfully I expected that.

you too eh?

well i just want to take this chance to take a bow for my last 3 posts

they were good-

<icomplements himself :sorry1:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Thats not the point.
What they're saying is, you judge the rock music for its flaws, but you have a name/avatar of a character that can be accused of many crude things. As Jesus said "How can you pull a splinter out of your brother's eye, when you have a mote in yours?"
You don't need to change your name, or your avatar, they're fine. God knows people's hearts. In any religion, who are we to judge another on any moral judgements?

Ulver

I think it's time to call this thread quits. One can't keep on hitting their head against a brick wall forever.

RevOxley_501

Ulver said:
I think it's time to call this thread quits. One can't keep on hitting their head against a brick wall forever.

i think i should clarify for stimp-or stimpy--whatever suits:

Stimp---you are the brick wall here---

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
Well, i feel like this debate has come to an end, so i'll do whats known as a closing statement.

Im disappointed by the lack of christians that posted on this debate, though i enjoyed posting with the ones who did. For the non christians who have posted, as i said at the beginning, i love to hear everyones oppinion and im thankful for your contribution; it just seemed a bit pointless debating this issue with a non christian, cuz it wont make any difference to you, you need to get right with God first, not your music.

As christians, we are to show who we are by our actions, the way we live our lives is on show for all to see, and we are to be a constant witness. Yes, we sometimes falter and stumble, and should openely say when we have, but the issue of this debate 'should christians listen to rock?' is a very important one and tends to be overlooked.
As christians we should be feeding our souls with righteous things, not things that are anti christianity, and that is anything that is against obeying Gods laws.

Its not about "I'm right" - "Your wrong" Its about what the right thing to do is in the eyes of God, and you need only read the Bible to know what that is.

I know this debate has ruffled a few feathers, upset people and gotten them angry, often when people are convicted, they feel like this, i make no apologies for speaking on this subject, as its a worthy one, and if just one christian has been convicted enough to seek Gods will over it, then it was very worthwhile.
I'll leave you with these Bible verses to ponder over. God bless you all.:) :)

1Pt 1v14: As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
1Pt 1v15: But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;

Ps 40v2: He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
Ps 40v3: And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.

1Pt 1v18: Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
1Pt 1v19: But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
2Cor 5v17: Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Yet, if a man/woman is in Christ and still listens to their music that doesn't make them any less Christian or "saved".

RevOxley_501

Stimpleton said:
Well, i feel like this debate has come to an end, so i'll do whats known as a closing statement.

Im disappointed by the lack of christians that posted on this debate, though i enjoyed posting with the ones who did. For the non christians who have posted, as i said at the beginning, i love to hear everyones oppinion and im thankful for your contribution; it just seemed a bit pointless debating this issue with a non christian, cuz it wont make any difference to you, you need to get right with God first, not your music.

As christians, we are to show who we are by our actions, the way we live our lives is on show for all to see, and we are to be a constant witness. Yes, we sometimes falter and stumble, and should openely say when we have, but the issue of this debate 'should christians listen to rock?' is a very important one and tends to be overlooked.
As christians we should be feeding our souls with righteous things, not things that are anti christianity, and that is anything that is against obeying Gods laws.

Its not about "I'm right" - "Your wrong" Its about what the right thing to do is in the eyes of God, and you need only read the Bible to know what that is.

I know this debate has ruffled a few feathers, upset people and gotten them angry, often when people are convicted, they feel like this, i make no apologies for speaking on this subject, as its a worthy one, and if just one christian has been convicted enough to seek Gods will over it, then it was very worthwhile.

1Pt 1v14: As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
1Pt 1v15: But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;

Ps 40v2: He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
Ps 40v3: And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.
1Pt 1v18: Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
1Pt 1v19: But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
2Cor 5v17: Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

that was the most underhanded, poorly concieved display of bowing out when you were out smarted and outnumbered that i have ever seen

congrats on that

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Stimpleton said:
I don't think it has, but if you say so....

For the non christians who have posted, as i said at the beginning, i love to hear everyones oppinion and im thankful for your contribution; it just seemed a bit pointless debating this issue with a non christian, cuz it wont make any difference to you, you need to get right with God first, not your music.
Well, if you are only interested in hearing what other Christians have to say on the subject, then maybe next time you'll have the good sense to post in the DIR or same faith debate folders, instead of the general one.

Possibly because how you treat others in all things is a more important part of witnessing with how you live your life than whether or not you listen to a particular band. I know plenty of Christians who listen to music that you would find objectionable whose witness is much more effective than yours. Like, Dawn and Becky. They show who they are with thier words and actions, and those reflect well on them.
Christians who spend more time worrying about what other people are doing than how they can enrich the world are not making a good witness, and in general while they look good and pious to other Christians, the ones you are supposed to be witnessing to would rather ignore you than listen to you. How does that make your life a good witness?

But, what is and what isn't "anti-Christian" is largely up to personal interpretation.
Besides, most Christians are, and should be, concentrating on important issues like poverty and disease rather than who is and isn't listening to what music.

Yeah, actually I am angry. Because I know plenty of loving, non-jugemtntal Christians who are trying to make the world a better place and change the way people think of Christians, and it's people like you who undermine thier efforts.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
RevOxley_501 said:
that was the most underhanded, poorly concieved display of bowing out when you were out smarted and outnumbered that i have ever seen

congrats on that

What else can you do when you start a debate on a subject and perspective that you are 100% ill-equipped to support? Pretend to be more pious than everyone else in the debate.

d.

_______
Stimpleton said:

yes, i hear the bible is full of references to rock music. :rolleyes: