• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity and secular music (rock, in particular)

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
This thread is mostly aimed at christians, but i love to hear everyones point of view, so all are welcome; i'm just particularly interested in christians view on this subject.

As someone who used to be a rocker, and since being saved (accepting Jesus/becoming a christian ) hasn't listened to the stuff ( my choice), i find it hard to understand why so many christians are still listening to rock/nu metal. This actually makes me question their salvation or wether they have back slidden ( and no, im not judging here). Because, i cant for the life of me understand how a 'christian' can read their Bible one minute, and the next be listening to NIN, Sunna,Korn,limp bizkit,tool, hole, too name but a few. Most are obviously anti Christ, some bands are more suttle about it, but the swear words, aggression; and of course, our lifes are to be a witness to people, how does it look when your listening to music that slags off your God???
I am also curious as to what muslims think on this subject.

Heres some examples of the lyrics i'm on about:

NIN Heresy.
he sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see he tries to tell me what i put inside of me he got the answers to ease my curiosity he dreamed a god up and called it christianity god is dead and no one cares if there is a hell i'll see you there he flexed his muscles to keep his flock of sheep in line he made a virus that would kill off all the swine his perfect kingdom of killing, suffering and pain demands devotion atrocities done in his name god is dead and no one cares if there is a hell i'll see you there your god is dead and no one cares if there is a hell i'll see you there"will you die for this? will you die for this? will you die for this? will you die for this?" god is dead and no one cares if there is a hell i'll see you there (your god is dead)god is dead (and no one cares)and no one cares (drowning in his own hypocrisy)if there is a hell (see you)i'll see you there (you there)

NIN Terrible Lie hey God, why are you doing this to me? am i not living up to what i'm supposed to be? why am i seething with this animosity? hey God, i think you owe me a great big apology terrible lie terrible liet errible lie terrible lie hey God, i really don't know what you mean seems like salvation comes only in our dreams i feel my hatred grow all the more extreme hey God, can this world really be as sad as it seems terrible lie terrible lie terrible lie terrible lie don't take it away from me i need you to hold on tod on't take it away from me i need you to hold on to don't take it away from me i need you to hold on to don't take it away from me i need someone to hold on to don't tear it away from me i need you to hold on to don't tear it away from me i need someone to hold on to don't tear it away from me i need you to hold on to don't tear it don't tear it don't take it don't take it don'they God, there's nothing left for me to hidei lost my ignorance, security and pridei'm all alone in a world you must despisehey God, i believed your promises, your promises and liesterrible lieterrible lieterrible lieterrible lie (terrible lie)you made me throw it all awaymy morals left to decay (terrible lie)how many you betrayyou've taken everything (terrible lie)my head is filled with diseasemy skin is begging you please (terrible lie)i'm on my hands and kneesi want so much to believei give you everythingmy sweet everythingi give you everything (i need someone to hold on to. i need someone to hold on to) my sweet everything (i need someone. i need someone. i need someone to hold on to)i give you everything (i need someone to hold on to. i need someone to hold on to)my sweet everything (i need someone to hold on to. i need someone to hold on)i give you everything (i need someone to hold on to. i need someone to hold on to)my sweet everything (i need someone. i need someone. i need someone to hold on to)i give you everything (i need someone to hold on to. i need someone to hold on to)my sweet everything (i need someone. i need someone. i need someone to hold on to) (i need someone to hold on to)

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I listen to Christian music mostly, especially around my children.

I still love to rock out. And in truth, it probably is sinful to listen to anything that isn't Christian.

I also believe that Christ knows our hearts. I can sing along with a secular song without making any sort of connection to the words that I'm singing. I mean, sometimes, it's just about rocking out...and really nothing more.

I do tend to change the channel when someone is blaspheming God...or even turn the volume out.

It's all about what's in your heart. In truth, this may be unacceptable to God. Maybe, I'm in the wrong for listening to secular music. But...I do.

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
dawny0826 said:
I listen to Christian music mostly, especially around my children.

I still love to rock out. And in truth, it probably is sinful to listen to anything that isn't Christian.

I also believe that Christ knows our hearts. I can sing along with a secular song without making any sort of connection to the words that I'm singing. I mean, sometimes, it's just about rocking out...and really nothing more.

I do tend to change the channel when someone is blaspheming God...or even turn the volume out.

It's all about what's in your heart. In truth, this may be unacceptable to God. Maybe, I'm in the wrong for listening to secular music. But...I do.

So what rock music do you listen to, like what bands? I turned to 'christian' rock when i first got saved, but soon scrapped it as christianity and rock music, in my oppinion, do not mix, and never will.

W

Withdrawnmist

Ok.....Hmmm.....well......ahem !!!

errhmmm !!....I was brought up in a house where everybody loved music...mummy, daddy, brother, sister...cat...and fishies !!

For me...music is MY salvation..I am passionate about it..Me luffs it..it makes me relaxed and moves me in so many emotional ways...I cry more to the effects that music evokes in me than watching a sad film...(though me luffs films too)..

...I'm an insomniac...I sleep three hours a night..and often go without sleep at all...three or four times a month....MUSIC relaxes me..

Because I was surrounded by music I grew up with an appreciation for all types (except country and western..oh yeuchh !!..someone get me a bucket !! LOL)..

I love classical, ambient, garage, trance,..look..I'm not going to list all the genres but Progressive Rock is my best..bands like YES and Emerson lake & palmer but in there are also bands like marilyn manson, system of a down etc...I find them almost cleansing !!..it's difficult to describe...but in the next minute I could just as well be playing Enya or something by Motzart......

My premise for music is for musics sake primarily...if I like the tune then I like it !!. But If there are provocative lyrics of a racist or blatantly blaspheming nature then I most certainly not interested.......

THANK YOU for this thread..HUGS THE STIMPY !!!: hamster :

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I've always listened to rock music. Personally, I don't like stuff that's too dark, or too angry, or too twisted. But I do listen to some Metallica, some of the old Black Sabbath stuff, AC/DC, etc. But most of the stuff I like is fairly benign.

I think we have to understand the difference between music and reality. Just because I happen to like the song "Dirty Deeds" doesn't mean that I'm going to go take out a contract on somebody I don't like. Just because I like the song "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers," doesn't mean that I'm a drunken brawler.

For me, it's a way to blow off steam. I'm not one of these Christians who thinks that, just because a song doesn't mention an obvious Biblical theme, it must be evil. Listen to Kansas sometime (which I like, btw).

And, honestly, I don't listen to the hard stuff all the time. But it's OK for a diversion, when I'm in the mood, and I don't think God's gonna condemn me, because God knows where my heart is.

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
For those who think NIN is a quite obvious and extreme case, check out these lyrics by Red Hot Chili Peppers....

Shallw Be Thy Name

I was not created
In the likeness of a fraud
Your hell is something scary
I prefer a loving god
We are not the center
Of this funny universe
And what is something worse
I do not serve
In fear of such a curse
Shallow be thy game
2000 years look in the mirror
You play the game of shame
And tell your people live in fear
A rival to the way you see
The bible let him be
I'm a threat to your survival
And your control company
CHORUS:
You'll never burn me
You'll never burn me
I'll be your heretic
You can't contain me
I am the power free
Truth belongs to everybody

To anyone who's listenin'
You're not born into sin
The guilt they try and give you
Puke it in the nearest bin
Missionary maddness
Sweep up culture w/ a broom
Trashing ancient ways
Is par for the course
It's f*****g rude
To think that you're above
The laws of nature is a joke
Purple sashes feeding masses
Smoke on which to choke
I might be a monkey
When it comes to being holy
Fundamental hatred
Get down on your knees and
CHORUS

Booko

Deviled Hen
dawny0826 said:

(*wonders about purely instrumental stuff*)

I work under the principle GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) that is, things seep in more than you might think they do, and the effect, however subtle it may be, is there, and comes out in action at some point.

I don't have a problem with secular music generally. I don't care to listen to a steady diet of music that's insulting, degrading, praises violence or bigotry, that sort of thing, which is why I turned off music radio stations years ago. (Well, that and too many commercials.)

I listen to a lot of Christian music, my favorites being Brahm's "German Requiem," Bach's "Mass in B Minor," Handel's "Messiah," Mendelsohn's "Elijah," and let us not forget Mozart's "Requiem."

You could say I have a fondness for that really Old Time religious music. ;)

But for long drives, I need something with words to sing and with an energizing beat, lest I get sleepy behind the wheel. That could be anything from Evanescence to some weird Japanese thing my kids got from friends.

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
But I do listen to some Metallica, some of the old Black Sabbath stuff, AC/DC, etc. But most of the stuff I like is fairly benign.

Fairly benign?? Man, you really don't know your music!! Black sabbath is the mother of anti Christ songs, Ozzy Osbourne has always said a spirit wrote thier songs ( im guessing it wasnt from God)

I
think we have to understand the difference between music and reality. Just because I happen to like the song "Dirty Deeds" doesn't mean that I'm going to go take out a contract on somebody I don't like. Just because I like the song "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers," doesn't mean that I'm a drunken brawler.

Thats not what im getting at, if you read what withdrawnmist wrote about music and its effects on him, you would realise that it is a very powerful tool. What you are listening to is music that has been written by either satanists, occultists, general God rejectors,and it is going into your mind. Does that not bother you? If Jesus was standing right beside you whilst you listen to Black sabbath or Metallica ( the God that failed song) do you think he'd wanna bop along with you???

For me, it's a way to blow off steam. I'm not one of these Christians who thinks that, just because a song doesn't mention an obvious Biblical theme, it must be evil. Listen to Kansas sometime (which I like, btw).

And neither am i,im not saying it's Hymns or nothing here.

And, honestly, I don't listen to the hard stuff all the time. But it's OK for a diversion, when I'm in the mood, and I don't think God's gonna condemn me, because God knows where my heart is.[/quote]

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
I work under the principle GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) that is, things seep in more than you might think they do, and the effect, however subtle it may be, is there, and comes out in action at some point.

Really well put, and a great principle to go by, Booko.

Random

When I was a Catholic I loved to listen to metal, grunge, hard rock of any kind. Still do.

I don't think the Church takes rock-music as the "Devil's work" very seriously. It might be different in America where its mostly Protestant and there's a different ethos @ work, but all music is acceptable according to ones tastes I think.

Remember "Jesus Christ: Superstar"? Some say God rocks. ;)

What about Chrisitan rock bands? There are many, some very popular. The rock genre is not purely secular.

The guitar as an instrument is born of God, methinks. Play it loud, fast and often and the Lord got no problem with that, I figure. :yes:

mrsk

Personally, I like many different types of music. I have found that since I accepted Jesus as Lord and Saviour of my life I know in my heart when I shouldn't be listening to something. I don't believe it's the genre that is important but rather the content of each particular song.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
stimpy said:
So what rock music do you listen to, like what bands? I turned to 'christian' rock when i first got saved, but soon scrapped it as christianity and rock music, in my oppinion, do not mix, and never will.

My favorite genre of music is Shoegazer. I love Lush and Starflyer 59 (who is actually cross over shoegazer/Christian).

Lush is probably my all time fave band as they pretty much capture everything in their music that I love about music.

I also really like H.I.M. I think Ville Valo has a phenomenal voice.

Other favorites of mine are: Tori Amos, Chevelle, Sarah McLachlan, Frente, Curve, Depeche Mode, POE, Garbage and yes, even NIN.

Christian music...I like it all. Moreso modern Christian music as opposed to the "gospel" sound.

My Christian faves are Rebecca St. James, Superchick, Todd Agnew, Nichole Nordeman and Jars of Clay.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Fairly benign?? Man, you really don't know your music!! Black sabbath is the mother of anti Christ songs, Ozzy Osbourne has always said a spirit wrote thier songs ( im guessing it wasnt from God)
Yeah, I do know my music. Music education degree, 20 years in church music, 35 years of playing in all kinds of pop performance groups. Need more?

I understand the difference. I did say that "but most of the stuff...is rather benign."

When I listen to the more "questionable" stuff, I don't just listen to any old piece of crap that happens to come up in the menu...I don't listen to the stuff that's ojectionable.

Of course I understand that music is powerful, but I understand further that music's power has a larger dimension than just the message of the lyric. Music is inherently neither good nor evil -- that's just horse-and-buggy thinking -- music is creative power. And I can appreciate the creativeness of some of these groups, regardless of who they worship. I know that the creative power of that music comes from God.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
I really don't mean for this to sound harsh, but my thinking is that if your faith can be compromised by what some person sings, the issue lies more with your faith than the music. At least that's my take. So only you can decide whether you think listening to a particular song would be dangerous to you.

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
My favorite genre of music is Shoegazer. I love Lush and Starflyer 59 (who is actually cross over shoegazer/Christian).

I'm sorry, i have no idea who these are.

I also really like H.I.M. I think Ville Valo has a phenomenal voice.
Your sweet six six six by H.I.M.

There are things you should know
The distance between us seems to grow
But you're holding on strong
Oh how hard it's to let go, oh so hard to let go

I'm waiting for your call and I'm ready to take your
six six six in my heart
I'm longing for your touch and I welcome your sweet
six six six in my heart

I'm losing my faith in you
You don't want it to be true
But there's nothing you can do
There's nothing you can do - Yes, I've lost my faith in
you

six six six in my heart
six six six in my heart

How long we have to wait
For love is fading so slowly
I know it's too late
Oh my god you're so lonely

six six six in my heart
six six six in my heart
I'm ready for your call and I'm ready to take your six
six six in my heart
six six six in my heart
In my heart
In my heart
In my heart

Rv 13v18: Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Other favorites of mine are: Tori Amos, Chevelle, Sarah McLachlan, Frente, Curve, Depeche Mode, POE, Garbage and yes, even NIN.

So tell me, how can you listen to a song like 'terrible lie' or 'heresy' with a clear conscience? Or do you skip the track to make you feel better? How can you even have such anti christian, blasphemous stuff not too mention 'closer', such imoral filth) in your house??!! ( im presuming you own an album, though hope not) When i got saved God gave me a new heart, one that did not want to be polluted with filth like that which you listen too, i won't even get started on Tori Amos and Depeche mode. Dawn, i am seriously worried for you. please think about what is going into your mind.

1Cor 6v20: For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
mrsk said:
Personally, I like many different types of music. I have found that since I accepted Jesus as Lord and Saviour of my life I know in my heart when I shouldn't be listening to something. I don't believe it's the genre that is important but rather the content of each particular song.

I agree with the comment on looking at the content of song, not the genre. Rock, though, seems to be a particular genre for a breeding ground for blasphemousy. It always has a message.

And i think that anyone who truly has the holy spirit dwelling in them would not be able to listen to the kind of music i am referring to without getting upset or angry.
It is not just about the music.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
stimpy said:
I'm sorry, i have no idea who these are.

Your sweet six six six by H.I.M.

There are things you should know
The distance between us seems to grow
But you're holding on strong
Oh how hard it's to let go, oh so hard to let go

six six six in my heart
six six six in my heart

I'm losing my faith in you
You don't want it to be true
But there's nothing you can do
There's nothing you can do - Yes, I've lost my faith in
you

six six six in my heart
six six six in my heart

How long we have to wait
For love is fading so slowly
I know it's too late
Oh my god you're so lonely

six six six in my heart
six six six in my heart
I'm ready for your call and I'm ready to take your six
six six in my heart
six six six in my heart
In my heart
In my heart
In my heart

Rv 13v18: Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

So tell me, how can you listen to a song like 'terrible lie' or 'heresy' with a clear conscience? Or do you skip the track to make you feel better? How can you even have such anti christian, blasphemous stuff not too mention 'closer', such imoral filth) in your house??!! ( im presuming you own an album, though hope not) When i got saved God gave me a new heart, one that did not want to be polluted with filth like that which you listen too, i won't even get started on Tori Amos and Depeche mode. Dawn, i am seriously worried for you. please think about what is going into your mind.

1Cor 6v20: For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

I've edited my response so many times.

I'm not sure how to respond to you.

If it makes you feel better and edifies you spiritually to judge my heart, without knowing me as a person...then be my guest. I want nothing more than for you to feel spiritually secure as a Christian.

I am a bit confused as to what your intent was in starting this thread. I feel a little bit like you're going out of your way to exploit the faults of Christians. And you know...to each his/her own. If this works for you in your walk with Christ...who am I to judge you?

I don't really see how you do much more than null and void your point when you yourself pull up song lyrics and post them on a forum. But again, hey...more power to you! If this makes you happy...keep on truckin'!

I'm a sinner. I make mistakes and there is much in my life that I probably should focus on changing. I don't discount the truth behind the message you're giving and if you feel spiritually pressed to criticize the music choices of your brothers and sisters in Christ...again...be my guest. I pray for nothing but the best during this process.

I do suggest though, that when you're witnessing to the non-Christian, you pay close attention to the manner in which you present the gospel because truthfully, if I wasn't a Christian and you talked to me the way you've talked to me in this thread...I probably would walk away from you. My intent is for you take this comment as a constructive feedback...nothing more.

As Christians, we're supposed to live our lives as walking lights...the lights of Christ. And you know, it's the truth...our actions give a very strong message about who we are in Christ. Our music choices may give the wrong impression to others.

I can tell you in all honesty though that speaking to anyone from a self righteous pedestal...reaps no rewards. I've been burned many times for doing the very same thing. We have to reach out to people in love. I won't argue with the MESSAGE that your giving here. I'll go as far as to say that I feel convicted.

But the manner in which you've presented your ideals could be polished a bit. My intent isn't to hurt you or to criticize you but to fill you in because as lights in this world...reaching others is the greatest responsiblity that we have, as Christians.

Lesson learned. Perhaps I should focus on my music choices.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
stimpy said:

I would say that any Christian who feels that thier faith is threatened by listening to certain types of music (or, even the implication that another Christian would), is normally indicative that said person probably needs to strengthen thier faith. Same goes with similar objections to books like Harry Potter or video games. If you're not strong enough to listen to music that deals with worldly issues, or doesn't talk about God, that's fine, but that doesn't mean nobody can handle it. Just because a Christian doesn't think like you doesn't make them not a real Christian.