• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity and secular music (rock, in particular)

d.

_______
stimpy said:
I'm not trying to attack anyone here, just pointing out what Ozzy and the whole group of B.S. believe in and stand for.

but you don't know what ozzy 'and the whole group of black sabbath' stand for. you obviously don't have a clue and keep on going as if you had. did you even read post #46?

i have no problem with anti-christian music, since i'm not christian, but there's nothing in black sabbath's music or lyrics that a sensible christian could have a problem with.

no, really.

d.

_______
stimpy said:
sometimes i miss the old stuff i used to listen to, because other than the Hymns i have, i dont find that chart music or C.C.M. has much substance to it, or a good tune, but i don't wanna sing along to stuff that will make me feel sad, angry,or causes me to sin; i.e. blasphemous,immoral lyrics and cuss words (mind you, id prefer the cuss words to blasphemy).

i recommend you to try some gospel music, preferably afro-american, for instance the staple singers or why not aretha franklin.

(click the names)

some of the best music in the world, and it's definitely christian.

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
d. said:
i recommend you to try some gospel music, preferably afro-american, for instance the staple singers or why not aretha franklin.

(click the names)

some of the best music in the world, and it's definitely christian.

I don't like this style of music, but thankyou anyway.
What are the other links you put up? sorry, im being lazy!

standing_alone

I pity anyone who has to avoid certain music or other forms of entertainment just because they are afraid of the (often, incorrectly perceived) message. Says alot about their faith.

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
because you and i have both been hypocrites---we have both said stupid things---we have both judged others---i can guarantee it---and it is these things that plant the seed of athiesm and disgust for xtianity
Hmm, you really are coming out with stupid things now, so id agree with you on that! I am no hypocrite, i do not judge, only God can. I say stupid things bout lots of stuff, most days, doesnt mean im a hypocrite. You are so way off the mark here,im laughing cuz i really think youve lost it here, and its a bit off the subject matter at hand.

you said he was evil---which you can not know

He ripped up the Word of God on stage; i take it thats acceptable to you? Thats not an act of someone who loves God now, is it???

Oh, i said i didnt wanna give that man the time of day, and im not gonna anymore.

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
standing_alone said:
I pity anyone who has to avoid certain music or other forms of entertainment just because they are afraid of the (often, incorrectly perceived) message. Says alot about their faith.
Dont know what went on here, i had trouble posting it, it said there was an error, obviously not!!!!!!!!!!!

RevOxley_501

stimpy said:
Hmm, you really are coming out with stupid things now, so id agree with you on that! I am no hypocrite, i do not judge, only God can. I say stupid things bout lots of stuff, most days, doesnt mean im a hypocrite. You are so way off the mark here,im laughing cuz i really think youve lost it here, and its a bit off the subject matter at hand.

you are judging, you are judging MM right now---you judge me because i condone his artistry and viewpoint---you then run from music that is not within certain very tight parameters---that is judging

i say you are a hypocrite---because you probably are---i would like to say that im not anymore---but im sure i do things that are hypocritical...

He ripped up the Word of God on stage; i take it thats acceptable to you? Thats not an act of someone who loves God now, is it???

the bible has been a source of alot of bad things---dont worship the Bible and think about the things inside it---how evil some of the things that resulted from it have been--wars, violence, and the ignorance that so many Christians constantly spew---

if you think tearing the Bible up is a reflection of ones feelings for God as opposed to a religion you are wrong

Oh, i said i didnt wanna give that man the time of day, and im not gonna anymore

spoken in love

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
you are judging, you are judging MM right now---you judge me because i condone his artistry and viewpoint---you then run from music that is not within certain very tight parameters---that is judging

i say you are a hypocrite---because you probably are---i would like to say that im not anymore---but im sure i do things that are hypocritical...

the bible has been a source of alot of bad things---dont worship the Bible and think about the things inside it---how evil some of the things that resulted from it have been--wars, violence, and the ignorance that so many Christians constantly spew---

if you think tearing the Bible up is a reflection of ones feelings for God as opposed to a religion you are wrong.

Well, youre intitled to your oppinion, wether misguided or not.

spoken in love
Very questionable.

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
Whats going on with this site!! I tried posting and it wouldnt go through and i did it again and it still wouldnt go through, now its on loads and broken up and not even the full post!!!
This sucks, ive gota do it all again. Will be back later with it, if it lets me!!!

RevOxley_501

you had a few pages filled up on page 11-12

looks like you were clicking post or had your enter button stuck down

RevOxley_501

d. said:
that's exactly the problem - and yet you feel completely justified in calling other, more informed opinions 'misguided'.

i was going to say that, chose not to--but frubals , cus you are right---he just said to all of us "I know more than you, i know what i like, i know whats right, and i dont need your help in making these decisions"

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
They are clearly not gimmicks, Luke Wolf.
If you would take some time to watch some interviews Manson is in, you would realise within the first ten seconds that the real life Marilyn Manson, and the stage MM, are completly different. Controversy sells, and MM has caused enough to get even his those who hate him the most to buy an album to criticize him.

standing_alone

stimpy said:
Why is it that if someone wants to avoid something, they must be afraid if it?

It doesn't necessarily have to be fear, but it seems to me that in most instances I've witnessed, fear is the key factor. But by just singling out that one word I used in my statement, you are missing my entire point. I see some religious folks avoiding any music that they perceive as contrary to their religion because they think it somehow threatens their religious beliefs. So many wrongly assume that all heavy metal is Satanic for example. It seems to me they do this (avoiding certain music) because they think if they listen to it they will lose their faith or God will damn them for something as petty as hearing a rock song. Now, if listening to "secular music" is a threat to someone's faith, that says more about the person's faith than it does about the music. One must have pretty weak faith in God in order for it to be threatened by a rock song.

Reactions: d.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
standing_alone said:
One must have pretty weak faith in God in order for it to be threatened by a rock song.
Exactly. I read earlier in the thread someone said rock music is "powerful". IMO, music has no power unless you give it power in your own mind. You're in control.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Exactly. I read earlier in the thread someone said rock music is "powerful". IMO, music has no power unless you give it power in your own mind. You're in control.
To losly quote V, a building has as much power as does the act of destroying it. People give power to symbols. Symbols could be buildings, road sings, music, or just about anything.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Am I ever going to get an answer to my question? It seems like unless I am the person who posted last, you don't even pay attention to what I have to say.