• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian hypocrisy in one neat image

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Tattoo of the words “[Thou] shall not lie with a male as one does with a woman. It is an abomination. Leviticus 18:22″.
Of course, tattooing itself is prohibited by Leviticus 19:28.

leviticus-tattoo.jpg

2Q==

Kind of sums up the whole situation for me.

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

Setting aside the stupidity of the tatoo in and of itself....

It's not hypocrisy. The verse against tatoos are referring to some kind of 'pagan' marking on one's body 'for the dead.' This person obviously got the tatoo out of stupidity.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Setting aside the stupidity of the tatoo in and of itself....

It's not hypocrisy. The verse against tatoos are referring to some kind of 'pagan' marking on one's body 'for the dead.' This person obviously got the tatoo out of stupidity.

If you're going to delve into what you believe the original intent and proper translation of the prohibitions were, then you would do the same with the tattooed verse, which is also probably referring to pagan practices such as temple prostitution. The verse tattooed is in fact (as I'm sure you know better than me) quite hard to translate, and we really don't know for sure what the author was trying to prohibit.

A

angellous_evangellous

If you're going to delve into what you believe the original intent and proper translation of the prohibitions were, then you would do the same with the tattooed verse, which is also probably referring to pagan practices such as temple prostitution. The verse tattooed is in fact (as I'm sure you know better than me) quite hard to translate, and we really don't know for sure what the author was trying to prohibit.

... all the more reason not to rush to the conclusion that the tat is hypocritical. :shrug:

It's stupid and offensive, yes. In that way I think that it's hypocritical.

A

angellous_evangellous

Hey Auto -

Wouldn't it be funny if this person realizes that they're gay later on in life?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
... all the more reason not to rush to the conclusion that the tat is hypocritical. :shrug:

It's stupid and offensive, yes. In that way I think that it's hypocritical.

I say it's hypocritical because whatever method you use, whether literal and apparent or delving into intent, context and translation, if you apply the same method to both verses, they're wrong.

If you think gay sex is prohibited, then so are tattoos. If you think pagan death practices are what was intended, when it appears to say tattoos, then by the same token in all probability pagan religious/sexual practices are intended, not male homosexuality.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Why would you even get this tattooed? Why this verse, on your body, relatively permanently...

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
How can you be sure this is Christian hypocrisy and not Jewish hypocrisy?

Leapt to the conclusion. However, any Jew religious enough to care about the Leviticus prohibition would in all probability also follow the prohibition against tattoos. Orthodox Jews believe that tattoos are prohibited, based on this verse.

Debunker

It is not hypocritical to be against homosexuality. For the same reason people are opposed to pedophilia, they are opposed to homosexuality. It is broad minded to be opposed to both based on the same reasoning. Both behaviors say the behavior can not be helprd because the person was born that way. The number one principle of psychology still standswhich is that all behavior is learned.

Erebus

It is not hypocritical to be against homosexuality. For the same reason people are opposed to pedophilia, they are opposed to homosexuality. It is broad minded to be opposed to both based on the same reasoning. Both behaviors say the behavior can not be helprd because the person was born that way. The number one principle of psychology still standswhich is that all behavior is learned.
Having been brought up by a psychiatric nurse and a detective as well as having studied psychology myself, I can tell you with some confidence that paedophilia is definitely a paraphilia whereas homosexuality isn't. A paedophile's desires revolve entirely around lust (in much the same way a person with erotophonophilia might murder out of lust or a necrophiliac might be excited by a corpse) whereas a homosexual's desires also include love. Homosexuals can fall in love with one another, while a paedophile simply will not fall in love with a child in nearly all cases.

*edit* I should point out that it's possible a paedophile might genuinely love a child, but it's very rare. The main preoccupation is sex.

Last edited:

Debunker

Having been brought up by a psychiatric nurse and a detective as well as having studied psychology myself, I can tell you with some confidence that paedophilia is definitely a paraphilia whereas homosexuality isn't. A paedophile's desires revolve entirely around lust (in much the same way a person with erotophonophilia might murder out of lust or a necrophiliac might be excited by a corpse) whereas a homosexual's desires also include love. Homosexuals can fall in love with one another, while a paedophile simply will not fall in love with a child in nearly all cases.

*edit* I should point out that it's possible a paedophile might genuinely love a child, but it's very rare. The main preoccupation is sex.

It is nice that you include your little note but the fact is, since you use your personal opinion, I have never hear a pedophile say anything but that he loved his child victims. I just wonder how many pedophiles you have interviewed, known, or even talked with. I don't swallow what you say. there are millions of people with all sorts of urges that must be controlled . If they do not check these urges, society put them in jail. If you allow behavior based on biological predispositions, we would have no type of peaceful society.