• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: Denominations?

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
If I asked you what your denomination is, what would you say? (For those of you who haven't caught on, I'm asking. :D )

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I'm a Christian. I normally attend Pentecostal worship services, although I visit my mother's Lutheran church from time to time.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Christiangirl0909 said:
If I asked you what your denomination is, what would you say? (For those of you who haven't caught on, I'm asking. :D )
I'm an LDS Christian.

waacman

Restoration of everything
Actually, I'm non-denominational, but I went to a Southern Baptist church when I went to college. Now Iattend a non-denominational church again.

Mykola

Christiangirl0909 said:

Christiangirl909, what do you think about waking the draco dormiens? :)

Well, okay...

I'm not in any denomination.

I belong to the Church that Lord has established on the day of Pentecost, as we can read in the book of Acts - His Church, Kingdom of Priests (see book of the Revelation).

I think that for a church to be named after its human founder or a ritual, or some specific detail of its doctrine (Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran, Baptist, 7th-day Adventists etc) is contradictory to the sound teaching of the Bible.

Don't take it personal, please. If anyone wants to discuss, let's do it. Demand from me clarification, arguments and so on.

But --
If someone feels like charging me with 'dogmatism', 'christian elitarism' or just any strange thing like that, please, refrain from it :)
I'd have to ignore pointless accusations...
Because...
1 Co 11:16: "But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God."

GloriaPatri

Catholic. Every Christian church is a splinter from the Roman Catholic Church - the only church that was around during the time of Christ.

Karl R

Christiangirl0909 said:
Does anyone here think that denominationalism is wrong? I'm beginning to after this sermon:
I used to have some problems with it, so I asked god about it. Then a turn of events led me to an epiphany: All denominations serve as a path for people to find their way to god. If there was only one path, fewer people would be able to find their way. Therefore, all denominations serve god's purpose. The divisions are less important to god than the ability for people to find their way.

Mykola said:
I think that for a church to be named after its human founder or a ritual, or some specific detail of its doctrine (Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran, Baptist, 7th-day Adventists etc) is contradictory to the sound teaching of the Bible.
What about the churches that didn't name themselves? For example, "methodist" was a deragatory term that people applied to people following John Wesley (just like "christian" was a deragatory term applied to people following christ).

Every church I've belonged to (and most that I've attended) was named before I was born. The same can be said for the denominations I've belonged to or been associated with. The people who were responsible for choosing the names have been dead for a long time, so debating it with them is pointless.

When I'm selecting a church, the name of the church or denomination is not important enough to be a consideration. I'll look into the people, the outreach and charity, the doctrine, their practices. Superficial details like the appearance of the building and the name of the church or denomination don't get considered.

Christiangirl0909 said:
If I asked you what your denomination is, what would you say?
In the past I might have answered "methodist" or "presbyterian" when I was a member of those churches. Currently I attend a unitarian universalist church, but I'm not a member of it.

The most accurate answer: I don't really consider myself to belong to a denomination. I belong to individual churches, not their respective denominations.

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
GloriaPatri said:
Catholic. Every Christian church is a splinter from the Roman Catholic Church - the only church that was around during the time of Christ.
Actually, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints isn't a splinter of the Catholic religion or any other for that matter. We restored the Church that was around during the time of Christ.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Our whole movement was begun in the early 1800's on the belief that denominationalism only served to divide and not unify the Body of Christ on earth. Thus, denominationalism hindered God's will for the Church.

I might add that, neither the Roman, the Orthodox, the Anglican, the Lutheran or the United Methodists began with the idea of denominationalsim in mind. Martin Luther and John Wesley hoped to reform the Church from within. The Romans, Orthodox and Anglicans parted ways over ecclesiastical issues, yet none of them desired to start a "new denomination."

The Christian Church (DOC), Christian Churches/Churches of Christ, and Churches of Christ began with the idea that they did not want to be part of a denomination, only part of the universal Church. While the Disciples went on to "denominationalize" in 1968, they have always been, and still are, at the forefront of ecumenism in an effort to unify the Church. While the other two branches of the movement are not denominations, they also are rather non-participatory in ecumenical efforts.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Christiangirl909, what do you think about waking the draco dormiens? :)

Well, okay...

I'm not in any denomination.

I belong to the Church that Lord has established on the day of Pentecost, as we can read in the book of Acts - His Church, Kingdom of Priests (see book of the Revelation).

Don't take it personal, please. If anyone wants to discuss, let's do it. Demand from me clarification, arguments and so on.

But --
If someone feels like charging me with 'dogmatism', 'christian elitarism' or just any strange thing like that, please, refrain from it :)
I'd have to ignore pointless accusations...
Because...
1 Co 11:16: "But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God."

Yes, I saw in your profile that you attend a church of Christ. I am very pleased to meet you, because I also attend a church of Christ. I don't consider it my denomination, and I tell people that I'm nondenominational when they ask.

Do you consider church of Christ to be your religion? You will notice that I put "Christianity" in my profile. If so, you may want to visit the link in my former post.

Every Christian church is a splinter from the Roman Catholic Church

Not ours. We are Christians, and only Christians. That's it, that's all. And Christians were the only Christians around when Christ was. The Roman Catholic denomination came later.

All denominations serve as a path for people to find their way to god. If there was only one path, fewer people would be able to find their way. Therefore, all denominations serve god's purpose. The divisions are less important to god than the ability for people to find their way.

I just don't think it's right for us to all be divided. If we all follow differant things, how could we all be following what Christ wants us to follow?

When I'm selecting a church, the name of the church or denomination is not important enough to be a consideration. I'll look into the people, the outreach and charity, the doctrine, their practices. Superficial details like the appearance of the building and the name of the church or denomination don't get considered.

I think that's a wonderful way to look at things. If I were searching for a church, I would generally look for one that says "church of Christ" outside, because they will probably teach most closely to what I believe in. But I would not have a problem with going to a church that says "baptist" outside if they taught what I believe to be the truth.

Karl R

Christiangirl0909 said:
I just don't think it's right for us to all be divided. If we all follow differant things, how could we all be following what Christ wants us to follow?
In general we all follow the same thing.

We love god, we love others.

We give food to the hungry, clothing and shelter to people in need, etc.

On the important things, we're unified. It's the minor details we're divided over.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
GloriaPatri said:
My roots are Catholic and I love their churches. If attend a service however it is usually a Non denominational Christian one (which I think is really a contradiction in itself). I don't affiliate with one particular denomination.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Karl R said:
In general we all follow the same thing.

We love god, we love others.

We give food to the hungry, clothing and shelter to people in need, etc.

On the important things, we're unified. It's the minor details we're divided over.
Ditto

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
My body is made up of different organs. All the organs share a similar purpose, to serve the body. However, the brain does not have the same function or set of 'rules' that the lungs have. And the lungs are not the same as the eyes. And the heart works constantly from birth till death, but the mind has to rest or the body will die.

The body would not exist if it weren't for the diverse nature of each of our body parts. Same for the body of Christ, each church serves a purpose for the whole, but diversity is necessary.