• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: Denominations?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Katzpur said:
Yes, Jesus formed a church, and I know what the Greek word is. Ecclesia is not a synonym for "people." It's a little bit more comprehensive than that. The people who affiliated with the Church He formed believed in the doctrines He taught. They didn't believe in the philosophies of men, mingled with scripture. That's all I'm saying.

Sure they did! Peter and Paul made great use of Greek thought in their dealings with the Gentiles.

onmybelief

Katzpur said:
I didn't know that. So does the Episcopal Church use the Apocrypha or are you talking about something else?

Are you saying that the Episcopal Church does interpret it literally, or did I get that backwards? I would think that the more liberal the viewpoint, the less literal the Bible would be interpreted.

I apologize for two things: one I apologize fro waiting so long to respond and the other is I'm not sure I know what 'Apocrypha' is.:eek:

To answer your second question. The Episcopal Church does not take everything literally (sort of like a pick and choose which parts of the Bible are literal and which are not. this is another reason I left: either interpret the Bible literally or not literally not in between.) I tend not to interpret the Bible literally.:D

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
onmybelief said:
I apologize for two things: one I apologize fro waiting so long to respond and the other is I'm not sure I know what 'Apocrypha' is.:eek:

To answer your second question. The Episcopal Church does not take everything literally (sort of like a pick and choose which parts of the Bible are literal and which are not. this is another reason I left: either interpret the Bible literally or not literally not in between.) I tend not to interpret the Bible literally.:D

The process is a lot more responsible than just "pick-and-choose." What many scholars discovered long ago is that interpretation just isn't that black-and-white of an issue, where one can decide "either-or." Parts of the Bible were meant to be interpreted literalistically, and some were written metaphorically, poetically, and story-like. A responsible exegete will determine, through literary criticism, how each passage is best interpreted. (Actually, the Episcopal Church and the Methodists aren't that far apart in Biblical interpretation...)

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Well, I've been to the Franklin church of Christ!Cozy little church too!

I am not "non-denominational" as much as I am "anti-denominational".

Philippians 2:1If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4 Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others NIV

However, the church of Christ seems to have become as much a denomination as any of the others.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
sojourner said:
Read paul's letters.:)
That's a nice, vague way out. I've read them in the past and haven't noticed that he falls back on Greek philosophy in his teachings.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
onmybelief said:
I was referring to your statement, "But the Episcopal Church has some books in their Bible that Methodists do not have." The Apocrypha is a collection of books accepted by the Catholic Church, but not accepted by the various Protestant Churches. I was trying to figure out what books could possibly be in an Episcopal Bible that are not in a Methodist Bible. I was surprised that they do not contain exactly the same books.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Well, I've been to the Franklin church of Christ!Cozy little church too!

You never told me you've been to my church before. Perhaps we've met, and I didn't even know!When did you visit, and who do you remember meeting, if anyone?

However, the church of Christ seems to have become as much a denomination as any of the others.

It's so hard to put what I want to say about this into words. Umm, "church of Christ" is just a name on a sign. We don't identify ourselves with any other church. We are one Christian church following the Bible as perfectly as possible. When you say "the church of Christ", well, we aren't part of that. We're an individual church that happens to have the name "church of Christ" on the sign because that is what we are.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
I am not "non-denominational" as much as I am "anti-denominational".

I am antidenominational as well. Nondenominational is just how I say "I have no denomination". But antidenominational is just as good a description.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Christiangirl0909 said:
You never told me you've been to my church before. Perhaps we've met, and I didn't even know!When did you visit, and who do you remember meeting, if anyone?
I am usually in that church once a year while visiting my Mother in Law who lives just outside of your fair city. I missed going this past year.
Christiangirl0909 said:
It's so hard to put what I want to say about this into words. Umm, "church of Christ" is just a name on a sign. We don't identify ourselves with any other church. We are one Christian church following the Bible as perfectly as possible. When you say "the church of Christ", well, we aren't part of that. We're an individual church that happens to have the name "church of Christ" on the sign because that is what we are.
There are MANY doctrines that the churches of Christ hold to that are not neccesarily in the scriptures. A'capella singing, a prohibition of anything alcoholic, etc, etc are symptomatic of a LARGER structure than we admit to. It's not unusual for churches to use almost the same service structure (including the number of songs) and to label other churches of Christ as "anti" or "liberal".

The LAST thing we want to do, is to put blinders on and not see areas we need to work on. The church will be perfect on the last day, and not a moment before.

onmybelief

sojourner said:
The process is a lot more responsible than just "pick-and-choose." What many scholars discovered long ago is that interpretation just isn't that black-and-white of an issue, where one can decide "either-or." Parts of the Bible were meant to be interpreted literalistically, and some were written metaphorically, poetically, and story-like. A responsible exegete will determine, through literary criticism, how each passage is best interpreted. (Actually, the Episcopal Church and the Methodists aren't that far apart in Biblical interpretation...)

You're right the Epicopal Church and Methodist Church do interprate the Bible the same way for the most part. As a matter of fact there was the Methodist Episcopal Church at one time.

GloriaPatri

Well, all churchs are splinters off of the Roman Catholic Church - the church that was established by Jesus and is governed by the successor of St. Peter.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
GloriaPatri said:
Well, all churchs are splinters off of the Roman Catholic Church - the church that was established by Jesus and is governed by the successor of St. Peter.
No, they're not. Protestant churches are, but my church isn't.

GloriaPatri

Katzpur said:
No, they're not. Protestant churches are, but my church isn't.

That's true. But the LDS church is a relatively small church. There are only 13 million of you guys.

Anyway, I don't know if I consider Mormons Christian or not.

Ody

IF i was christian i would have to be a member of the LDS church, thier view on salvation matches up the best (kinda same idea... me thinks) with mine, kinda... sorta.. 0.o..O ya!

Ody

GloriaPatri said:
Anyway, I don't know if I consider Mormons Christian or not.

I personally think they are, and if you go over to the LDS forums on here you can have some explanations from LDS members on why mormons are christians :)

Ody

Victor said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Joseph part of a Protestant faith?

He was helping to bring back a church, that was gone long ago, right? Before the formation of the pontificate... :confused: ?