• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Choosing between God and Satan

Antibush5

I've been thinking of getting baptized and becoming a Christian and I've been a bit weak in the knees, giving my life over to Christ and accepting him would mean losing my independence, inviting God in and letting him take over would mean losing stuff I love, but then I realized that all that I'd have to stop sinning.

So my freedom is actually in God, since he would liberate me from slavery to the devil, but it'd still mean God would control me and that I was enslaved all along, I find this to be very disconcerting, I'm either under God or Satan, when I don't want to lose myself completely to either, I'd like to retain my individuality, could somebody please help me with this?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I've been thinking of getting baptized and becoming a Christian and I've been a bit weak in the knees, giving my life over to Christ and accepting him would mean losing my independence, inviting God in and letting him take over would mean losing stuff I love, but then I realized that all that I'd have to stop sinning.

So my freedom is actually in God, since he would liberate me from slavery to the devil, but it'd still mean God would control me and that I was enslaved all along, I find this to be very disconcerting, I'm either under God or Satan, when I don't want to lose myself completely to either, I'd like to retain my individuality, could somebody please help me with this?
If you choose to love God, serve Him and have a relationship with Him, you won't lose your individuality by any means. There's a famous quote from C.S. Lewis: "How monotonously alike all the great tyrants and conquerors have been; how gloriously different are the saints."

Even once you're in Heaven and you've made much progress in theosis (the process of becoming more and more like God), you will always be your own distinct person and maintain your individuality. Cultivating your relationship with God and becoming the person He wants you to be will only make you more unique, more distinct, and more radiant as a person. :) Union with God in the Christian sense is not a drop becoming part of the sea. It is more like communion, that is, being one with God through love, God being in us and we in Him, not through our personalities being dissolved.

Aside from that, if you've any more questions or concerns, please feel free to ask us, and may our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ continue to guide you to the Truth!

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist

Accepting Christ into your life doesn't change who you are as a person, nor does it have any impact on your individuality.

It means to become more focused, more self-conscious and more aware of your purpose/goal in life.

I can't really answer on behalf of Christians, but I know enough to know that certain 'compromises' must be made to believe in something or follow a certain path...the investment is directly proportional to the reward.

If you prefer to live a life of sin, live in accordance with ego, not observe any moral practice, then why can't/isn't everybody a Christian by now? Think about it.

God tests our 'spiritual fibre' by giving us these temptations (forget about Satan) to see if we are really serious or not...to see if we are ready to accept Jesus into our lives or not, and nobody said that it was going to be easy.

You must make up your mind what it is you really want because you cannot have the 'best of both worlds' and a sacrifice must be made for whatever Faith and beliefs that you have...the metal must be placed in the fire first before it can be hammered into shape and this takes the fullest Love...the fullest act of surrender according to that Love.

If you love another person, you would do anything for that person if it makes them happy. If you love Jesus, doing what Jesus wants makes God happy and it says so in The Bible.

So, it all depends on how much you love Jesus as to how much you are willing to sacrifice for that love. You don't lose who you are...just who you thought you were, which isn't your 'true self' anyway.

It's up to you, and if you pray most sincerely to Jesus about this, He will hear you and guide you.

I wish you all the best.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
One more thing before I go...

Also realise that this isn't a 'one-way ticket' and you can always go back to 'being yourself' any time that you want to...it's not set in stone.

I was fully baptised as a Pentacostal...I am now Hindu...in between, I was a Buddhist, a Satanist (why I reply now) and a Wiccan, so do the math. lol

You just need to find what belief resonates at your 'Soul level'.

One thing though...when you embrace Christ, embrace Him with both arms before you decide...a friendly handshake isn't going to give you any idea about what God's Love is really like...give Christ a chance before you decide whether this path is suitable for you...it's not like you are signing a blood oath or anything, remember that.

To experience the full love of Jesus/God is totally amazing and wonderful though and totally worth the sacrifice you make for it.

Like Shiranui117 said with his awesome reply - Loving Jesus and becoming a Christian makes 'you' a much clearer, focused and beautiful 'you'. Yes, you won't 'know yourself' anymore, but that can also be a great thing! Your personality remains totally in tact, with more emphasis on the aspect of 'person' in 'personality'.

With that, I shall return to the Hindu DIR...there's a reason why I belong there and I was just stretching my spiritual legs and taking in some different scenery.

Last edited:

Dinner123

Whoever is saved and born again retains individuality in God, He made us all unique. For example an ear is different than a nose. So everyone has their place and function in the body of Christ. And people are given gifts at natural birth (some are good at this, some at that) and we are given gifts of the Spirit, when born again. These gifts differ from person to person and some people are more gifted than others. Yet, in Christ all should be united as a single body and we should cultivate love for one another. So, you'll be different and yet united as every piece fits into it's own place in a puzzle.

It takes faith, because you have to believe God knows better than you do about what you need. It's hard to give control of your life over. But if you must do it, then it might as well be the One who created you. Then, one day you'll bless the Lord and admit He was wise. You'll be happy and content. But, the road isn't easy and the gate isn't broad. And don't think the devil will just let you go if he can stop you. You'll face tribulation and temptation in this life. But this is the birth pain and when the child is born then the pain is all forgotten. So it will be in the joy of the resurrection when the children of God are manifest.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

one leads you to life and the other leads you to death

The ball is in your court, you get to decide the outcome.

neologist

It's an age old problem.. You have to decide for yourself. . .
  • 1Ki 18:21
  • 21And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.

In that sense you have already lost it.... you said so yourself. You are with one or the other. Where then is your freedom? You are a slave to whomever you make your master.... death or life? You choose. It is a difficult one, no?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

I'm not sure you are looking at this in the right way.
God does not control anybody... He never has. Did he control Adam and eve? Obviously not.

The only one who does control man is Satan. .. Satan manipulates and prods people to do things...He leads them down paths they find hard to get out of.

God sets us free from such slavery by putting you back in control of your life.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

My advice is to study the faith a bit longer before making the "plunge". You won't lose your individuality, any control; God does not manipulate us like rag dolls. You will not lose your independence (except to God, that is). What we Christians do is put God ahead of everything in our life. We pray to God when we have a decision to make. We put God first and foremost. Yes, you have to follow God's commandments, that's a big part of it. The Christian Scriptures (aka, the New Testament) gives us the commands to follow. It does mean giving up your "old" life by repenting of your sins.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

In the middle of the road is a fence. Since the fence belongs to Satan, then being an undesided fence sitter puts a person on Satan's side.
What did James conclude at James 2 v 19 and James 1 vs 22 - 25