• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

China Expected to be the Only Major Economy with Positive Growth this Year

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
In my observation, authoritarian regimes actually can operate more quickly and efficiently than democratic regimes. This may be due to an overriding "ends justify the means" mindset where they might be presented with a certain goal or objective with instructions to "get it done however you have to get it done."

This frees people's hands where they don't have to get bogged down in procedure or form. No rules, protocols, or traditions to worry about - just a singular goal to be achieved in any way that is physically possible.
Or they'll just lie to their superiors and act like their goals are being accomplished when they're not, to avoid being punished by the higher-ups. That phenomenon is one factor that lead to the devestating famine under Mao that killed tens of millions getting out of control. So they're very good at maintaining the appearance of efficiency regardless of the reality of it.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, but the US isn't an Orwellian nightmare the state controls the media and crushes all dissent. (We have the opposite, where mega-corporations and billionaires own the media and crush dissent in other ways.)
True. But we also have a history of concealing facts when it suits us, especially when justifying unjust wars. And we've had four years of an administration caught in more egregious lies than any administration prior, and a culture of fostering 'alternative facts' to suit our biases. And an ever growing sentiment of demonizing academics and mistrusting researchers.

Just saying we've got our own beam in the eye to contend with.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I don't feel crushed. We have great opinion & news diversity.
To understand different perspectives, I'll listen to a bit of CNN
& a bit of OAN coverage of politics. One attacks Trump, while
the other praises. They'll even use the same info to justify
opposite opinions. It's fascinating.
Also, I air all sorts of objectionable opinions. But men in black
never darken my door with threats of disappearance. Friends
& family have experienced real oppression in China, Iraq, &
Russia, where saying the wrong thing has dire consequences.

In Ameristan, I can be as big a jerk as I want. I like that.
To endure some economic turmoil is a small price to pay.
I was thinking more of Google, Facebook and Twitter and their out of control and random censorship.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
True. But we also have a history of concealing facts when it suits us, especially when justifying unjust wars. And we've had four years of an administration caught in more egregious lies than any administration prior, and a culture of fostering 'alternative facts' to suit our biases. And an ever growing sentiment of demonizing academics and mistrusting researchers.

Just saying we've got our own beam in the eye to contend with.
Yeah, but that's all out in the open with much pushback.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I was thinking more of Google, Facebook and Twitter and their out of control and random censorship.
They do indeed control things, but they also have competition.
Government tries to control their content to some extent, but
it's far far less than what happens in China.
As Uncle Duke said, China is the world's largest penal colony.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
They do indeed control things, but they also have competition.
Government tries to control their content to some extent, but
it's far far less than what happens in China.
As Uncle Duke said, China is the world's largest penal colony.
Well, I already agree that whatever problems America has, China is much worse.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, but that's all out in the open with much pushback.
I'm not convinced even half of the lies and extralegal dealings of the last four years is in the open. Much less the last generation of immoral military conquest for 'national security' reasons.

But it's far afield of the op, which is just talking about recovering faster from covid19 put China at a financial advantage.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
China got off to a bad start with the corona virus. Early on, authoritarian leaders on the local and provincial levels tried to bury the news of a viral outbreak rather than deal with it, as authoritarians tend to do. But when that didn't work, the national government seems to have stepped in and impose a lock down.

The lock down sent the Chinese economy into retreat for the first time since 1976, but that was only temporary. As early as the second quarter 2020, the economy was growing again, and jobs were coming back.

Today, China's economy is the world's only large economy that is expected to see positive growth this year.

Compare the Chinese response to the American in terms of outcome. Please don't make excuses for America. Reality doesn't like a whiner. Just do the comparison.

Sigh

When are we going to get beyond the obsession with 'growth'?

It is killing our planet.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm not convinced even half of the lies and extralegal dealings of the last four years is in the open. Much less the last generation of immoral military conquest for 'national security' reasons.

Snowden, Assange and Mannings showed the world the level of lies, deceit, surveillance and secrecy in the world, in the land of the free as much as anywhere else.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Snowden, Assange and Mannings showed the world the level of lies, deceit, surveillance and secrecy in the world, in the land of the free as much as anywhere else.
Are there Chinese equivalents for those guys?
I see their existence & exploits as the best of the west.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Honestly, they didn't say anything that people didn't already know when it came to the abuses of the Iraq War. They're probably controlled opposition. Assange definitely seems to be in bed with the Russians. If they were a real threat, they'd end up dead like many whistleblowers and investigative journalists do (think Gary Webb). Shoot, even Stanley Kubrick wound up dead for giving too much away in Eyes Wide Shut.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Or they'll just lie to their superiors and act like their goals are being accomplished when they're not, to avoid being punished by the higher-ups. That phenomenon is one factor that lead to the devestating famine under Mao that killed tens of millions getting out of control. So they're very good at maintaining the appearance of efficiency regardless of the reality of it.

This is true, and there's also a lot of infighting where the top leaders might be getting conflicting information, as well as denunciations of various officials who are made into scapegoats when things go wrong.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Are there Chinese equivalents for those guys?
I see their existence & exploits as the best of the west.

Haven't there been some defectors from China? They have had dissidents and demonstrations, along with the existence of Taiwan which demonstrates that a lot of Chinese are thoroughly against the PRC regime. Would their existence and exploits be the best of the east?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Haven't there been some defectors from China? They have had dissidents and demonstrations, along with the existence of Taiwan which demonstrates that a lot of Chinese are thoroughly against the PRC regime. Would their existence and exploits be the best of the east?
Having the wrong opinion in China is far more dangerous than here.
Their best are quickly silenced.
As for Taiwan, Chinas intention of conquering it strikes me as less than their best.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Honestly, they didn't say anything that people didn't already know when it came to the abuses of the Iraq War.

Really. The government and military personnel responses suggests otherwise.

They're probably controlled opposition.

You're probably right.

If they were a real threat, they'd end up dead like many whistleblowers and investigative journalists do

Attempted extradition isn't to pin medals on Snowden and Assange.