• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chick-fil-A to be denied zoning permit in Chicago

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
(rolls eye) As I said, it wasn't the point of the picture.

Why do liberals care about what Chick Fil A thinks yet supported Obama as president when he didn't support gay marriage?
Do you think that everybody bases their vote on just one issue?

Do you think that the cause of gay rights would have been better supported by voting for McCain (or by not voting at all)?

What you're asking makes no sense. Effectively, you're saying that if a person chooses and imperfect option when nothing better is available, then it's "hypocritical" for them to choose the best option in some other case when the decision is more clear. This makes no sense.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
(rolls eye) As I said, it wasn't the point of the picture.
Why do liberals care about what Chick Fil A thinks yet supported Obama as president when he didn't support gay marriage?
Obama is the Dems' anointed one. No faults will be admitted.
You're not supposed to openly use the "S" word.
If gay marriage were all that important, they'd vote that extremist "L" party.
Even this 'scandal' is such a vapid affair. It all arose because of bigoted, hypocritical & illegal action by Obama's bretheren in Chitown.
Rather than face their own sins, the Dems rally to singularly attack Chick-fil-A. There is no correspondingly loud concerted effort to
urvey all companies, & systematically address those who support wrong (but legal) causes. Gay marriage matters more as a basis for
fervently attacking foes, rather than an agenda to vote for. Tis a distraction.

The Dems must be careful, lest they anger their most important base.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...gay-marriage-might-cost-him-the-election?lite

Last edited:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
This is not working out so well for Obama politically.

The black pastors association may not give our president their support which means he may not get as many black votes this November.

Meanwhile Chick fillet has record business this week.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing

The black pastors association may not give our president their support which means he may not get as many black votes this November.

I saw people posting on facebook saying lines at Chick-fil-A were 40 minutes long in some places. I think this "protest" is backfiring...

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

The Democratic Party has officially given it's support to the marriage equality platform. Politically, that's a very smart move, as it makes a stand that is distinct.

I predict Chic-fil-A will see a spike in sales for a few years due to the Religious Right believing that the fast food chain is a victim of political bullying by the boycott (though they didn't have that much of a problem boycotting Ellen Degeneres as a spokesperson for JCPenney or Oreo's Rainbow Cookie)....but then eventually as the current younger generations grow to spend their own money and vote their own conscience Chic-fil-A's stance will become more obsolete and not in line with the younger generations ethical standards.

Which is what I have been predicting for a while. We'll see if that pans out to be true.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Give it time.
Come on, you should know how people work in large numbers. Giving it time will only result in everyone forgetting this ever happened and everything going back to normal. I highly doubt it will result in Chick-fil-A going out of business.

gnomon

Nothing says Christian outrage in America better than a large number of Christians pouring money into a for profit chicken business.

They were just lined up for an evangelical Mass.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Come on, you should know how people work in large numbers. Giving it time will only result in everyone forgetting this ever happened and everything going back to normal. I highly doubt it will result in Chick-fil-A going out of business.

I mean, give it a generation or two.

How many businesses do you know are in operation that racially segregate?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Nothing says Christian outrage in America better than a large number of Christians pouring money into a for profit chicken business.
They were just lined up for an evangelical Mass.
Protesting by snacking does sound appealing.
it beats going on a hunger strike.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
One almost gets the feeling that people are no longer entitled to their opinion in America. Isn't that the country that used to be all about freedom of speech? Apparently, people are no longer allowed to have opinions against certain things. How terribly progressive is that?

gnomon

When the Chicago alderman said he wanted to keep Chick fil A the response by those who disagree with Dan Cathy's personal opinion, across the various forums I read, was pretty much in opposition to the alderman's position. I don't see a massive display to have the business shut down or removed by the people. Just some rather foolish officials who may find themselves out of a job for speaking so foolishly. Even the response of the supporters of marriage equality over at CF is predominantly against the alderman.

In other words, I don't think Chick fil A was under much economic threat. When the president of Whole Foods spoke out as a pro-capitalist there were some minor boycotts and imbecilic protests staged in a few Whole Foods. I had yet to see the same for this fried chicken business.

I personally find the massive nationwide move to dump money into a fried chicken business that isn't hurting for business to make a statement about "traditional American values" in this "culture war", quotes taken straight from Fox News interviewees, to be a bit laughable. Especially compared to the reports I've read of government malfeasance going on at this time.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
The Democratic Party has officially given it's support to the marriage equality platform. Politically, that's a very smart move, as it makes a stand that is distinct.

I predict Chic-fil-A will see a spike in sales for a few years due to the Religious Right believing that the fast food chain is a victim of political bullying by the boycott (though they didn't have that much of a problem boycotting Ellen Degeneres as a spokesperson for JCPenney or Oreo's Rainbow Cookie)....but then eventually as the current younger generations grow to spend their own money and vote their own conscience Chic-fil-A's stance will become more obsolete and not in line with the younger generations ethical standards.

Which is what I have been predicting for a while. We'll see if that pans out to be true.

I'm sorry. It was a dumb move. Obama already had the gay vote in his pocket. What where they going to do, vote republican?

Meanwhile religious blacks that voted for him last time may vote republican or more likely not vote at all this time.

The election is going to be close, this smooth move might cost him the presidency

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
One almost gets the feeling that people are no longer entitled to their opinion in America. Isn't that the country that used to be all about freedom of speech? Apparently, people are no longer allowed to have opinions against certain things. How terribly progressive is that?
This is nothing new. We've had a testy relationship with free speech from the beginning.
A Mrs Mendoza was arrested for insulting Bill Clinton in Chicago (surprise!) in 1996.
As we see, many support free speech only as long as they agree with it.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Ok, I can buy that.
What we are going to see in the short term is a curtailing of expansion. Opening a new Chick-fil-A franchise at this time is not an attractive prospect. They are not going to be able to expand into new areas. And I don't mean because of government interference (which is not right).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I saw people posting on facebook saying lines at Chick-fil-A were 40 minutes long in some places. I think this "protest" is backfiring...

A lot of people came out to these events, too:

Little_Rock_integration_protest-1958.jpg

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This is nothing new. We've had a testy relationship with free speech from the beginning.
A Mrs Mendoza was arrested for insulting Bill Clinton in Chicago (surprise!) in 1996.
As we see, many support free speech only as long as they agree with it.
I support the free speech of people who disagree with me as long as I also have free speech to voice my disagreement.