• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celebrity crush?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Tomorrow(song off their second album) got real well known within the rock scene(I think I'd consider it a classic now, it still gets radio play). Ana's Song(song off their third album) wasn't as long lasting, but it made MTV's top ten show(a show that ranked the top ten most popular songs daily). It was on there a decent length of time, so Silverchair became known in the general populace as well.

A shame they made you take it down...

I used to have the Kaulitz twins as my background. My ex was visiting, and was looking at it, and said "hey, that woman in the picture is kinda hot". I told him "Yah, that's Bill Kaulitz." "Oh." He changed the subject rapidly, but eventually looked again and said "can you change the background? I find him attractive, and its making me very uncomfortable." I said sure thing. I found a shot of him without a shirt, and put that up. He went home.

I had a whole wall dedicated to them before I got married... When I went out to the beach to meet the guy who had been harassing me for a month to come meet him, I called my sister(who was house sitting while I was away) to take down the Kaulitz wall. She was surprised and said "it must be serious." I told her it was, and that we were engaged. (Now I kinda wonder what happened to all of those pictures... where did they disappear to?)
They didn't actually make me remove it. It was just suggested that some in the office might think it was a bit sexist (you know, "objectification" and all that crap:rolleyes:) to have a portrait of a beautiful woman as a screensaver. They thought I might get the Sisterhood on my back. And then they changed the software (security clampdown against malware) so we could no longer personalise our laptops, and that put the tin hat on it. We all got a screen showing a world map, with sinusoidal light and shadow to show which parts of the world were in day and night. Quite clever, because it changed with the seasons to show the change in length of daylight, as well as during the course of the day. Appropriate for a global company anyway - made you think twice before ringing someone in Singapore or Melbourne.

Another beautiful woman from films of that era was Helena Bonham Carter. She nearly made it onto my screensaver, but was pipped by Juliette.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
sylvester-banner.png

Sylvester McCoy. I absolutely adore him because one time, at a convention in Chicago, a bunch of us were sitting in the hotel pub watching a sci-fi show on the pub's tv, when this really arrogant bully of a barman rudely changed the channel to some sports thing.

Everybody in the pub wanted to see the sci-fi show because it was a sci-fi convention we were at, after all, and the place was filled with convention goers. The barman ignored everyone's protests, so I got up and went over to change the channel myself. This barman snarled at me, threatening me that, if I touched that channel, I would regret it.

I left the pub and and went out into the hotel atrium, where Sylvester McCoy (one of the convention guests) was chatting with a group of convention goers. We'd already met from another convention and he recognized me and said "hi" and asked me how I was. I told him about what had happened in the pub. Syl was furious. He said "come on" and he swiftly strode into the pub and confronted the barman. Syl is a bit on the short side, and this barman towered over him, but Syl told him off saying "This is a science fiction convention and these people here paid to have a good time and who are you to decide what should be on the tv when everyone in the pub wants to see something else?" The barman backed down and put the sci-fi show back on the tv.

Everyone in the pub loudly applauded Syl, who is my hero. He is one of the nicest, kindest, most down-to-earth celebrities you could ever meet.

Here's a funny safety video for Air New Zealand that Sylvester McCoy was in, that I think y'all will enjoy.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
They didn't actually make me remove it. It was just suggested that some in the office might think it was a bit sexist (you know, "objectification" and all that crap:rolleyes:) to have a portrait of a beautiful woman as a screensaver. They thought I might get the Sisterhood on my back. And then they changed the software (security clampdown against malware) so we could no longer personalise our laptops, and that put the tin hat on it. We all got a screen showing a world map, with sinusoidal light and shadow to show which parts of the world were in day and night. Quite clever, because it changed with the seasons to show the change in length of daylight, as well as during the course of the day. Appropriate for a global company anyway - made you think twice before ringing someone in Singapore or Melbourne.

Another beautiful woman from films of that era was Helena Bonham Carter. She nearly made it onto my screensaver, but was pipped by Juliette.
Yeah, that would be a good way to remind of the time... I think they worried too much about it, though. Provided the picture is tasteful, what's the problem?

Though that reminds me of another 'celebrity crush'... I guess he wasn't so much a celebrity, but he was sure pretty. I worked in a group home, and they usually had American Idol on for the clients. I hated that show. Except for the season they had Jason Castro on. I was in the office talking with my boss(casually, it was a friendly atmosphere), and I heard him on the TV down the hall. My normally slow moving self ran full speed down the hall, leaped over a chair, and planted it in front of the TV and told everyone to shush until after his bit was done.

I was in a very negative and unhappy relationship at the time, and I was always getting nagged at work to leave(rightfully so). "If you can get me that, I promise I'll leave" I told them. They never did, though.

I did get a lot of enquiries about that... "what do we need to get you to get out of there?" people would ask. "A younger man." I'd tell them. They always thought I was trying to be funny.... I wasn't! I was serious.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I'm sure you will!

If the relationship goes anywhere, don't forget to invite ol' George to your wedding...

I would need a TARDIS in order for that relationship to even begin.

Ok, that’s unrealistic. Perhaps the Sofia Loren of today is available?

By the way, in my experience, looking at her in that picture is like looking at Bhagavatī.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I would need a TARDIS in order for that relationship to even begin.

Ok, that’s unrealistic. Perhaps the Sofia Loren of today is available?

By the way, in my experience, looking at her in that picture is like looking at Bhagavatī.
Though I had to look up TARDIS, I'm sure there's one hoarded in the shed somewhere. If you're ever in Iowa, feel free to take it(you'll have to fetch it, though, and then put everything back).

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Tomorrow(song off their second album) got real well known within the rock scene(I think I'd consider it a classic now, it still gets radio play). Ana's Song(song off their third album) wasn't as long lasting, but it made MTV's top ten show(a show that ranked the top ten most popular songs daily). It was on there a decent length of time, so Silverchair became known in the general populace as well.
Ha! Well, there you go. They were super successful here (their first five albums all went #1), I just didn't know the perception intenationally.
You have got me slighly interested/confused though...Tomorrow was on their debut album (Frogstomp) as far as I know. There'd been some buzz about them through public youth band competitions of all things, but the album arrived almost out of nowhere, and it landed right when Australian teens were really leaning into the Seattle music scene, so it went bananas here.

Johns went from a teen kid cutting demos for radio competitions to the eclectic lead of the countries biggest band basically overnight.

Not sure if you're aware, but they eventually released a 6th album (Young Modern) after a hiatus. The single from that immediately went number 1 as well, although the sound was pretty divergent from their earlier stuff.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Ha! Well, there you go. They were super successful here (their first five albums all went #1), I just didn't know the perception intenationally.
You have got me slighly interested/confused though...Tomorrow was on their debut album (Frogstomp) as far as I know. There'd been some buzz about them through public youth band competitions of all things, but the album arrived almost out of nowhere, and it landed right when Australian teens were really leaning into the Seattle music scene, so it went bananas here.
You are correct.

You should never listen to me the first hour after I wake up.
Johns went from a teen kid cutting demos for radio competitions to the eclectic lead of the countries biggest band basically overnight.

Not sure if you're aware, but they eventually released a 6th album (Young Modern) after a hiatus. The single from that immediately went number 1 as well, although the sound was pretty divergent from their earlier stuff.
They faded out here after their 3rd album. I was aware of Young Modern; it didn't hit me like their other stuff, but I appreciated that there was new music from them at all.

Though, he was out as celebrity crush after the haircut. I gotta have a man with more hair than that.

☆Dreamwind☆

Heres a few of mine:
MacGuyver
The original Red Ranger
Billy Idol
Kurt Cobain
Billie Joe Armstrong and Tre' Cool
Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein
Sebastian Bach
Vince Neil
Robin Shou
Johnny Depp

exchemist

Veteran Member
Heres a few of mine:
MacGuyver
The original Red Ranger
Billy Idol
Kurt Cobain
Billie Joe Armstrong and Tre' Cool
Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein
Sebastian Bach
Vince Neil
Robin Shou
Johnny Depp
JSB is an interesting choice. He was quite a man, certainly. I was amused to read he was once so rude to a trumpeter that the man lay in wait for him and attacked him in the street, whereupon Bach drew his sword(!) and they had to be separated, causing him to get into some trouble with the town authorities. And the fact he had 20 children suggests, as does his music, a man of prodigious energy. He's just about my favoirite composer and one of my heroes.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Rebecca Hall, Monica Bellucci, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Brie Larson, and Radha Mitchell.

My biggest celebrity crush has to be Tara Basro, though:

images

exchemist

Veteran Member
Thinking more about it, there is one actual celebrity that I could sort of have a crush on: Nicole Kidman. Such an able and versatile actress and beautiful in an interesting way, i.e. not just one of those bland blondes with a toothpaste grin.