• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cats....All About Cats

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
images

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I think most of you know this but it's worth repeating, at last i think so... If you don't think it worth repeating then please, by all means, feel free to keep it to yourself.

A few months ago we lost a young cat, hardly more that a kitten, to a speeding motorists.

She had a distinct character, proud, cheeky and playful, and lots more besides... Anyway besides the point.

We gave her her name Cleopatra because of the markings around her eye's, so much like the heavy makeup depicted on images of that pharaoh.

We soon ended up changing her name to 'Cooking Fat'

There is a very simple story why she earned her new name. One dark night hubby woke with an urgent need to visit the toilet (prostate surgery can do that). Rather than disturb me he chose not to turn the light on. Returning to bed he tripped over the (then) kitten.

Next morning at breakfast the kids asked me what dad shouted out in the night. Only quick thinking came up with the spoonerism that was to become her new name.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Only we are not "souls",
we are "Spirit"......a big difference.
No big difference because the human spirit is the same thing as the rational soul.

The human spirit which distinguishes man from the animal is the rational soul, and these two names—the human spirit and the rational soul—designate one thing. This spirit, which in the terminology of the philosophers is the rational soul, embraces all beings, and as far as human ability permits discovers the realities of things and becomes cognizant of their peculiarities and effects, and of the qualities and properties of beings. But the human spirit, unless assisted by the spirit of faith, does not become acquainted with the divine secrets and the heavenly realities. It is like a mirror which, although clear, polished and brilliant, is still in need of light. Until a ray of the sun reflects upon it, it cannot discover the heavenly secrets.

But the mind is the power of the human spirit. Spirit is the lamp; mind is the light which shines from the lamp. Spirit is the tree, and the mind is the fruit. Mind is the perfection of the spirit and is its essential quality, as the sun’s rays are the essential necessity of the sun.
Some Answered Questions, pp. 208-209

WhyIsThatSo

No big difference because the human spirit is the same thing as the rational soul.

The human spirit which distinguishes man from the animal is the rational soul, and these two names—the human spirit and the rational soul—designate one thing. This spirit, which in the terminology of the philosophers is the rational soul, embraces all beings, and as far as human ability permits discovers the realities of things and becomes cognizant of their peculiarities and effects, and of the qualities and properties of beings. But the human spirit, unless assisted by the spirit of faith, does not become acquainted with the divine secrets and the heavenly realities. It is like a mirror which, although clear, polished and brilliant, is still in need of light. Until a ray of the sun reflects upon it, it cannot discover the heavenly secrets.

But the mind is the power of the human spirit. Spirit is the lamp; mind is the light which shines from the lamp. Spirit is the tree, and the mind is the fruit. Mind is the perfection of the spirit and is its essential quality, as the sun’s rays are the essential necessity of the sun.
Some Answered Questions, pp. 208-209

No, the "soul" dies.....but "Spirit" cannot.