• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholics what is your opinion?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
There is no man nor woman in their right mind that is celibate, end of discussion.
Start of discussion IMO. I disagree with this statement. It implies you know "all men/women". Are you God?

Anyone else, whack-o... Something is wrong with them period, religious or not
Just speak for yourself. You are maybe addicted to sex. But now you sound like a Christian knowing what is best for others. Those priests also imposed on others. Never good.

Unaddressed mental issues are probably the leading cause of celibacy. Of course, someone who acts like they're celibate by choice will refuse to admit this. :D
These are 2 good observations IMO.

The entirety of the Catholic leadership = broken, they're either pedos or other creeps or enablers.
Not a smart scientific observation. You forgot to add "In my humble opinion"
I can not believe that all priests are bad. It's the same with Islam "not all are terrorists". But I understand your frustration about all this. I also get these generalizing thoughts sometimes.

Last edited:

stvdv

what are things that some of you (Catholics) would suggest could be done differentl?

I found these remarks remarkable:
Sai Baba has said "Helping hands are better than praying lips"
The Dalai Lama once said "Prayer won't do anything for the other. Prayer is only good for the one who is praying. It's time to start acting on good prayers"

Jumi

Do not forget to kick out any Pope that's done this. He is the one in charge, so the one responsible IMO.
I don' think Catholics can kick out any Pope.

Don't tell me he did not know. He is a man of God. You believe God didn't tell him? He didn't know this?
I don't think God told him, but the people under him certainly did.

Jumi

There is no man nor woman in their right mind that is celibate, end of discussion.
If it isn't enjoyable, you don't do it. I'm not fully celibate, but it wouldn't be a problem if I was. Besides not everyone wants kids.

stvdv

They have a lot of trouble now. They should have gotten rid of Celibacy before now, it never worked. I am sorry for the members.

The real problem is suppressed emotional trauma's AND therefore lack of Love. Have them solve their trauma's first. Become priest later. Then celibacy won't be a problem.

Why they abuse? Most probably they were abused by priests when kids themselves or by parents [1 in 6 kids are sexually abused I heard]

Other problem is "why celibacy is made such a big deal?". Because they believe they can please God by it IMO. There is the main problem

Misinterpretation of scriptures. First step is "control your senses and mind/emotions", only then you are fit to be a teacher/priest.

So the Pope and the Church have a faulty system of education. "Hurt Never, Help Ever" is enough to know/practice. No need to know all the Bible verses.

Last edited:

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Maybe they could tie the priest to a chair or something and the priest and the parents are left in a room for one hour anything is allowed short of killing him. Or rather he can hang to life for 5 days and die without consequence like in the bible how to beat your slaves 101.

But they got 1 hour to do local personal justice no questions asked.

As barbaric as some of the justice is here in Bali, its swift brutal and effective. Very little crime happens here due to the harshness of the consequences.

Thievery is a death sentence for example. Locals gather you up and beat the thief to death and then dump the body in the street with 'thief' either carved into their chest or a sign around their neck.

It's not pretty, its not civilized, but it works.

(this wasn't my bad idea)

stvdv

I don' think Catholics can kick out any Pope.

I don't think God told him, but the people under him certainly did.

Catholics just need to report abuse. The Law of the country should hold the Pope responsible. If this is done then the Pope will make much more effort to educate priests. Just tell the Pope to clean up his mess and otherwise he will be held responsible. I think USA hold Rajneesh responsible in 1985 or so. Why not the Pope?

But there we see the real problem. Politician, judges and others in charge are not free from corruption. They all cover up for each other. In 1990 85% were Christians in the USA. That is why the Pope gets a free pass IMO. In 2015 it's still 75% Christians in USA. Maybe free pass is over when less than 50% are Christians

When I make mistakes God sends people to me telling me. If I do not listen then in meditation God tells me my mistakes. He never tells me when I do something good. But he loves to point out my mistakes. If God tells me, He even more will tell the Pope, having so many more responsibilities.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
My bad idea. someone should order a bunch of child sex dolls and send them to all the parishes around America. But they are booby trapped in a manner that will render the would be rapist priest incapable of future deeds.

stvdv

Maybe they could tie the priest to a chair or something and the priest and the parents are left in a room for one hour anything is allowed short of killing him

That is kind of a Biblical solution. "Let others do unto you what you did (so you wanted) unto others"

stvdv

Very little crime happens here due to the harshness of the consequences. Thievery is a death sentence for example

At least it takes care that "serial thievery" won't happen

In some Muslim countries they all know that their hand is cut off when they steal. Something similar for rape would take care of "serial rapists"
Seems quite good to me. Give them a few days notice so they know when this new rule will start. Maybe together with the opportunity to sign up for a treatment to make this rather barbaric consequence a little more civilized.

It must be fairly simple to cure rapists IMO. Lock them up with a beautiful girl and the moment they get "funny" thoughts give them a jolt of 220 Volts. Animals learn very quickly this way. There was a dog who always crossed the street running towards me and started barking at me. One day the owner put 220 Volt. The dog touched it and fell down on the street with all 4 legs up. Took him quite a while to recover, but since then he never crossed the line again. he still barks though, but that is fine. It's a dog after all.

Of course I don't trust the dog when somewhere else without the 220 Volt. But with a human you can tell him "don't do it when you are out", else we let the necklace explode.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
At least it takes care that "serial thievery" won't happen

In some Muslim countries they all know that their hand is cut off when they steal. Something similar for rape would take care of "serial rapists"
Seems quite good to me. Give them a few days notice so they know when this new rule will start. Maybe together with the opportunity to sign up for a treatment to make this rather barbaric consequence a little more civilized.

It must be fairly simple to cure rapists IMO. Lock them up with a beautiful girl and the moment they get "funny" thoughts give them a jolt of 220 Volts. Animals learn very quickly this way. There was a dog who always crossed the street running towards me and started barking at me. One day the owner put 220 Volt. The dog touched it and fell down on the street with all 4 legs up. Took him quite a while to recover, but since then he never crossed the line again. he still barks though, but that is fine. It's a dog after all.

Of course I don't trust the dog when somewhere else without the 220 Volt. But with a human you can tell him "don't do it when you are out", else we let the necklace explode.

A girl got gang raped by 7? Go-Jek drivers some years back, basically they are motorbike taxis. Anyways when they couldn't make any headway on the case, they made motorbike taxis illegal until they caught the guys. They were all caught 3 days later. If some terrible crime happens, that would affect the tourism industry negatively? They hit people in the wallet and suddenly the crime is solved.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well then, your opinion means little without facts.

100 means 100. It could mean a lot in relative to less or it could mean a little in relative to more. There's no generalizations there. Just poor form of logic.

And what is my position since you claim I have one? You can quote me.

In English, when you quote numbers or things like many and few it means in this case it's too much to count. There are some thousands of Catholics (which means it's a fact but data isn't important to my point)..

You don't need to get anzy over numbers that are not facts.

That and it's not a conversation where people even pay attention to facts. You can get anything off wiki and Google but regardless, there is always a point wrapped around it. The idea in a conversation is to find the point not discredit it. There is nothing wrong with opinions.

Its a waste of time arguing over numbers. It creates tension where there does not need to be any on an RF thread not even focused on detailed facts and data.

You be arguing over what's the right number for hours. Silly.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hundreds?

That doesn't sound to me like a good sample size.

Where are you getting your data from? How are you concluding this?

And then, who's to say that celibacy wasn't part of the cause for those that did assault children? You're asumming celibacy affects all the same way.

You're making lots of assumptions to come to a conclusion.

Let me remind you that I have not asserted a position.

because there are hundreds of people who are celibate and hundreds of people who dont have attraction to children as a result of their celebacy. Thats one of the most silly reason to accuse priests motives of child molestation.

Being a priest in a religious environment is just the same as if I were celibate. We dont just change our attractions just because we choose not to have sex. Thats rediculous.

Here is a better idea about English grammar and usage (if you don't already know)

There are OVER hundreds of people who are celibate. (Meaning there is no one number; it means a lot. The number isn't the point.)

Also, sexual abuse doesn't happen because a person is attracted to the victim. That's silly. Pedophilia isn't an action. It's an attraction that relates to an underage person not a person's actions. Saying (hidden word, means in general; English usage) there is a connection between celibacy and child abuse (and priests!!!) Is like accusing LGBTQ for having sex because they are attracted to the person they have it with. Sexual abuse and any action is not dependent on ones sexual lifestyle and attraction.

It can be an addiction but again it has nothing to do with celibacy.

How does celibacy and child abuse go together?

There are many (there's that wore again) many people who are celibate and not priests and don't commit sexual abuse. Priests are no exception.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Considering praying didn't keep these kids from being sexually abused, and based on the reactions of the people in following video, what are things that some of you (Catholics) would suggest could be done differentl?

Let priests wed, since the Bible totally allows for married church leadership.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Yes, I know the evil Catholic Church but where were the parents in all of this? Weren't these children betrayed not only by the Church but also their parents?
They'll throw their kids under the bus so long as the priest continues to say they're going to heaven.

But I don't want sex.

Unaddressed mental issues are probably the leading cause of celibacy.
It's considered a sign of piety in many religions.

Of course, someone who acts like they're celibate by choice will refuse to admit this.
Exactly. I refuse to have sex. My genetics will never go on because of my fam ... wait. Dang it, you're right. :p

One important answer is for organizations to become educated about the issue so that they are not ignorant to the tactics of predator pedophiles who come into their midst.
That can wait until we get people to stop mindlessly kissing the butts of their clergy or other authority figures.

The people who kill their kids through neglect because Pastor So and So said not to take them to the Evil Doctor suffer from the same kind of psychology that lets the pedos do their thing.

I mean, look at Michael Jackson. He was clearly screwed up. Any parent who took him to that Neverland thing should have joined him in court.

Maybe they could tie the priest to a chair or something and the priest and the parents are left in a room for one hour anything is allowed short of killing him. Or rather he can hang to life for 5 days and die without consequence like in the bible how to beat your slaves 101.
Jesus said anyone who did wrong by kids deserves a millstone hung around their neck. We could start there. :)

The Law of the country should hold the Pope responsible.
The Pope is in his own "country". You can thank Italy for that.

Apologes

Remember kids, if your claim isn't cranky enough add phrases like "end of discussion" and "period". That ought to kick your crankiness off to a more optimal level.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I'm not Catholic, but there are plenty of celibate men in the world that do not touch kids. I think there is more of a deeper issue than simply not having intercourse.

Maybe is the other way round. They start pedophile and become priests because of the opportunities to get in contact with kids and the protection they get when caught.

After all, we always try to find a job that fulfills our natural inclinations.

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Do not forget to kick out any Pope that's done this. He is the one in charge, so the one responsible IMO.

Don't tell me he did not know. He is a man of God. You believe God didn't tell him? He didn't know this?

Kick out?

He should get prison time, like all heads of organizations involved in criminal activities.

Ciao

- viole